Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force (59260 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure Of The Nigerian Immigration Service? / Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017 / Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 26, 2015
The Ranks In Nigeria Police Force are divided across three structures; Administrative, Authority and Organizational structure. The authority ranks in Nigeria police force (NPF), from top to bottom is the Inspector General of police down to the constable.

The Inspector-General of Police

In accordance with section 215(2) of the 1999 Constitution, section 6 of the Police Act, 1990, “the Force shall be commanded by the Inspector-General of Police”.

This simply means that orders, directives and instructions to carry out the duties with which the Police is carried, flows from the Inspector-General of Police, through the chain of Command, to any Officer positioned to implement such order.

The office of the Inspector General of Police is the highest rank in the Nigeria Police force.

The Deputy Inspector-General of Police

According to section 7(1) of the Police Act, the Deputy Inspector General of Police is the second in Command of the Force and shall so act for him in the Inspector-General’s absence.

Section 5 of the Act makes room for as many DIGs as the Nigeria Police Council considers appropriate. Every other rank below the IG, takes order of Command from him, in the performance of their lawful duties.

The Asst. Inspector-General of Police

The Office of the Assistant Inspector-General of Police is provided for by section 5 and 8 of the Police Act. He shall act for the Inspector-General of Police in the event of the absence of the Inspector-General of Police and Deputy Inspector-General of Police

The Commissioner of Police (In-charge of contingents in a state)

Section 5 of the Police Act, in accordance with the provisions of section 215 (2), of the Nigeria Constitution, provides for the Office and rank of a Commissioner of Police who shall be in Control of contingents of the Police Force stationed in a State. He is subject however, to the command of the Inspector-General of Police or who-so-ever acts for him, in his absence.

Every other rank in the Force is legally provided for by section 5 of the Police Act. The Command structure of the Nigeria Police can be presented in order of hierarchy as in the chain here under.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police

The Asst. Commissioner of Police

The Chief Superintendent of Police

The Superintendent of Police

The Deputy Superintendent of Police

The Asst. Superintendent of Police

The Inspector of Police

Sergeant Major

Sergeant

Corporal

Constable

Source:http://www.ranksng.com/ranks-in-nigeria-police-force/

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by pappy4real(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
Yea I know these but having been very close to the police, I think ure not really recognised by d force until u become an ASP upward.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by tzoracle: 2:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
Mods abeg let's enlighten nigerians more

Mynd44,lalasticlala
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by miqos02(m): 3:27pm On Dec 26, 2015
ok
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Kingzy4pep(m): 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Noted.

1 Like

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by BarryX(m): 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Who still cares about the Nigerian Police Force? To be honest, NPF lost my respect years ago. I see them as typical Civil Servants on government payroll.

Nigeria Police need thorough rebranding of some sort not the last Uniform change they did. Corrupt as F**.

I will even suggest Daura D start his anti-corruption show with them. If he can reform the NPF and make them uncompromising and stop these boy-boy loyalty stunt they do , I think no sane politician will dare loot the treasury.

All these policemen from rank and file are the one who physically carry the loots. angry

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by onome324(m): 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by hemartins(m): 3:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nigerian Police? forget it.
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by ajbabs(m): 3:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
If your post is below ASP, it means you confirmed government ordinary tout.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by seyilabi(m): 3:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
Quite educative @op, thanks for that
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Pavore9: 3:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
Informative.
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by free2ryhme: 3:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
lanrema:
The Ranks In Nigeria Police Force are divided across three structures; Administrative, Authority and Organizational structure. The authority ranks in Nigeria police force (NPF), from top to bottom is the Inspector General of police down to the constable.

In accordance with section 215(2) of the 1999 Constitution, section 6 of the Police Act, 1990, “the Force shall be commanded by the Inspector-General of Police”.

This simply means that orders, directives and instructions to carry out the duties with which the Police is carried, flows from the Inspector-General of Police, through the chain of Command, to any Officer positioned to implement such order.

The office of the Inspector General of Police is the highest rank in the Nigeria Police force.

According to section 7(1) of the Police Act, the Deputy Inspector General of Police is the second in Command of the Force and shall so act for him in the Inspector-General’s absence.

Section 5 of the Act makes room for as many DIGs as the Nigeria Police Council considers appropriate. Every other rank below the IG, takes order of Command from him, in the performance of their lawful duties.

The Office of the Assistant Inspector-General of Police is provided for by section 5 and 8 of the Police Act. He shall act for the Inspector-General of Police in the event of the absence of the Inspector-General of Police and Deputy Inspector-General of Police

Section 5 of the Police Act, in accordance with the provisions of section 215 (2), of the Nigeria Constitution, provides for the Office and rank of a Commissioner of Police who shall be in Control of contingents of the Police Force stationed in a State. He is subject however, to the command of the Inspector-General of Police or who-so-ever acts for him, in his absence.

Every other rank in the Force is legally provided for by section 5 of the Police Act. The Command structure of the Nigeria Police can be presented in order of hierarchy as in the chain here under.

The Inspector of Police

Sergeant Major

Sergeant

Corporal

Constable

i beg to differ there is no Sergeant Major in the Nigeria Police na Army dey use this rank

16 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by ritababe(f): 3:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
What of field marshal and colonel?

1 Like

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by brunofarad(m): 3:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
What of " OC ROGER" grin ?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Dottore: 3:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
@op good job at compiling this but you should have given a brief or profile on each of the ranks as you did on the Senior officers cadre.
Also a thread on the equivalent of the ranks in other forces (army, navy and airforce) comes to mind. Can someone please take the pain and open it.
Informative and educative posts like this should be encouraged by all not many celebrity poos that desecrates the forum and bores the user

16 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Btruth: 3:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
No matter how their ranks differ, Nigeria Police is still Nigeria Police. They are all dirty and self centred.

2 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by apheyz(m): 3:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
Abeg which of the ranks they collect twenty twenty naira for road? end time police!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by semochendo1(m): 3:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
I want someone to help with how to recognise their ranks from their uniform... I hope this my neighbour that likes showing off is not a constable ;DI want someone to help with how to recognise their ranks from their uniform... I hope this my neighbour that likes showing off is not a constable

12 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by orledaj(m): 3:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Ok
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Amustical(m): 3:37pm On Dec 26, 2015
G
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by ttemmi(m): 3:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
Noted
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by tellwisdom: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
I would rather run for safety in the hands of a kidnapper than a police force

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
Thank God for the handset and internet. I got the world on my palms. knowledge visits me everyday in my house.

2 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
op u for add pic of each rank emblem naaa

2 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Olusharp(m): 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nigeria Police aka men in black ..
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by oka4ugoo: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
E
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by watered(m): 3:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
I love the NPF, how about you guys?
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by Taolyn4lif(m): 3:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
Okay
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by aieromon(m): 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2015
So many graduates had to start from the constable position because getting in through direct ASP cadet recruitment aint easy.

You need to see the type of animals that get recruited through the "korofo" stage. The graduates have to present only their school cert and once they're in the system,they spend years trying to regularise their educational qualifications.

NPF na dirty work abeg.

2 Likes

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by lilreese: 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2015
Interesting
Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by ritux: 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2015
lanrema:
The Inspector of Police
Sergeant Major
Sergeant
Corporal
Constable
I will like to see the symbol which indicates each rank. For example I see some police officers with 2 v or 3 V at the hand of their uniform close to the badge or so.

1 Like

Re: The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force by nwadiuko1(m): 3:44pm On Dec 26, 2015
ritababe:
What of field marshal and colonel?
those are in the army.....and I think field marshal is the highest rank in the army

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N5 Million Cash Or A 100k Job? Help Him Decide / Resign Or I Sack You - Female Director To PA For Denying Her Sex / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.