Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Our Responsibility To Humanity - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Our Responsibility To Humanity (596 Views)

The World’s Scientists Just Issued An Official “warning To Humanity” / Ten Deadliest Substances/poison Known To Humanity / Heart Bypass Surgery In India : Your Treatment Our Responsibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Responsibility To Humanity by rill: 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2015
This thread is in response to an experience shared by a doctor yesterday.

https://www.nairaland.com/2824995/bitter-experience-doctor-today

Feel free to go through it first if u haven't.

Please note, this thread is not in anyway aimed at exonerating the doctors involved, nor trying to condemn the individuals who shared their sincere opinions concerning the issue. I'm sure the Op alongside many other people have learnt one or few things from the criticism, especially from cramjones and the many others.

Please take your time to read and pardon my mistakes. To start with, i would like to ask us few questions.

1) Are we aware of how many patients the doctor had helped in the past? Even as a medical student there are several occasions I and my other colleagues have had to help few patients with financial support to carry out basic investigations and treatment. Talk more of an house officer who is been paid. People only get criticised for their wrong deeds . Are we also aware of how many patients he will still encounter in the course of his practice, be it accident victims or those suffering from a deadly disease? Is he to pay everytime such issue arise, bearing in mind we all have individual limits? And if he chooses to defy his superior's order, for how long would it continue?

2) Concerning the senior colleague, I'm sure most of us have concluded in our hearts that she must be a wicked, bitter and heartless doctor with no single iota of love within. Again I put it to us, are we aware of how many patients she had helped in the past? The smiles she helped put on those hopeless faces. Oh well, nobody cares. I believe she must have had a reasonable number of years in d field, with different experiences with the good, bad and the ugly. Remember we all have limits. Health care workers are humans also.

3) Many people asked what he would have done if it the victim was a relative. The truth is, we cannot avoid making biased decisions as some point in our lives. Just the same way u would first save a drowning mum or dad b4 u attend to others, the same way he selected the one in most critical condition of which he might even be wrong. Are we saying the other lives are not valuable? Family bond is strong and we would go extra miles to protect them. Thats just the sad and bitter truth.

Yes we all know the system is bad, it can easily leave u frustrated and to lose your humanity but which I still believe we should strive to keep no matter the situation. I believe other sectors are not left out either, but the health sector becomes a center of focus often.

The purpose of this thread is to tell us that we all have a part to play and a service to humanity. Its not the sole responsibilty of the health care workers to help save lives. There is actually nothing stopping those who brought in the accident victims from contributing some money to help save those lives after the doctor refused to treat them. But of course nobody cares, the doctors and nurses should. How many times have u looked away when that poor kid approached u for help, how many times have u visited an orphange home. There is a group on nairaland that solicits for financial support to help the sick and needy, how many times have u given out something.

It is easy to blame the health care workers because they are directly faced with emergencies which require immediate interventions. They tend to be at the receiving end. We shouldn't even wait till such cases arise. Your hands of love can take that helpless kid off the street that exposes to all manner of dangers which could lead to emergency situations. Don't say its none of your business.

Even though we might not be able to reach out to every needy out there owing to our individual limitations, but if mr A can help mrs B, mrs C help mr D and mrs E help mrs F, on and on we will be able to extend our hands of love to a greater percentage of people in need of it. Call it random acts of love.

In summary, pls Service to humanity is not only for some selected group of individuals or professions. Its a responsibility we all must be a part of. Happy new year in advance to everyone.
Re: Our Responsibility To Humanity by rill: 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
Cc; seun, lalasticlala, mynd44....

(1) (Reply)

Ruzu Bitters: Do The Right Thing For Your Body! / Drink Up, Drink Enough Water For Water Is Your Life.[sickle Cell] / This Is For Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.