Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming (4878 Views)

"Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Learn The Magic Of Soiless Farming / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by debtop(m): 8:28am On Dec 28, 2015
12 Powerful Reasons Why You should Discard All Your Livestocks Feeds and Start Using Fresh HYDROPONICS Fodders in Nigeria:

In this write-up, I'm going to explain 12 Reasons why you should immediately discard your livestocks feeds and embrace hydroponics fodders. By saying livestock I mean Pigs, Poultry Birds, Turkey, Rabbits, Cows, Goats and Sheep.

But firstly,what is hydroponics?
Hydroponics is the act of growing plants without the use of soil, but just water as medium and liquid nutrients. The term Hydroponics is coined from Greek words-HYDRO,which means water, and PONIC, which means work. It is an age- long technology which dates back to the hanging gardens of Babylon. The commercial purpose of which is feeding livestock.This wonderful technology started in the1960s in Australia and has spread to the rest of the world ever since.
With hydroponics a livestock farmer can save over 40% on the cost of feeding his animals and so, make huge profits ,this greatly surpassing the days of just getting by which has sadly been the order of the day.

The following are 12 powerful reasons why you should discard all other forms of feed and settle down with Hydroponics Technology fodders for your animals.

(1) Increment in the mass of feed within a short period of time. i.e 1kg of maize, sorghum, millet, and wheat can be converted to 10kg of fodders within 9days, and the "digestibility" from about 25% to around 95%.

(2) Faster weight gain in livestock. With it, animals like pigs can gain about 10kg per month!

(3) Higher quality meat with better texture and taste. Broilers, pigs, beef, goats and rabbits taste better and have very minimal fats in their body.

(4) Improved milk production in Dairy, Goats and Sheep.

(5) Better and richer lactation for nursing mothers in Pigs, cattle, sheep, goats, and rabbits, leading to higher survival rate of offsprings.

(6) Saves over 60% from the cost of feeding livestocks, which invariably leads to about 40% savings in production cost.

(7) It does not need electricity to function, making it suitable for rural or off grid farms.

(cool Requires very little space and time to produce. You can produce about 10,000kg of Fresh Feed in just about 14m2 (square meters) in 6-9 days, as against 100kg conventionally in 12 weeks. That's about 1000% increment.

(9) Better quality eggs with deeper yolk colour and enhanced egg taste in Poultry.

(10) Improved health in all livestocks, which leads to massive saving on medications.

(11) Save about 20% on feeding your fishes.

(12) Learn how to convert you waste and spent fish water to asset and make millions from it.
The above are just few of the advantages of hydroponics Soiless Farming. There are many more advantages that can be gotten from this technology......
To learn more about hydroponics technology, register here: [url]http://bicfarmsconcepts.com/lagos-hydroponics-training/
[/url]

1 Like

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by kolafas1: 10:56am On Dec 28, 2015
For better advert why don't you add pictures.... Just suggesting

1 Like

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by phillings247: 10:41pm On Jan 14, 2016
what seedscare u using nd what is d composition of d fertilizer u use

1 Like

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by Nobody: 5:38am On Jan 15, 2016
I like your setup, its impressive. I do grow hydroponic fodder for my livestock, very nutritious.
When hydroponic lab is situated outdoors, the issue of non-uniformity in sprouts growth or seeds not sprouting, can pose a problem even with good seeds. This I avoid by not exposing my sprouted seeds to light a bit too early. While watering the seeds I deprive them of sunlight for about 3-4 days prior to exposure. Some Cardboard or thick woolen clothes could be used to cover d trays.

2 Likes

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by dgitrader(m): 6:30am On Jan 15, 2016
Maple:
I like your setup, its impressive. I do grow hydroponic fodder for my livestock, very nutritious.
When hydroponic lab is situated outdoors, the issue of uniformity in sprouts growth or seeds not sprouting, can pose a problem even with good seeds. This I avoid by not exposing my sprouted seeds to light a bit too early. While watering the seeds, they should be deprived of sunlight for about 3-4 days prior to exposure. Some Cardboard or thick woolen clothes could be used to cover d trays.

OP, please more details!
How true is this....
'' 1kg of maize, sorghum, millet, and wheat can be converted to 10kg of fodders within 9days, and the "digestibility" from about 25% to around 95%.'' Under what conditions and with how many traystands and square meters?

Please, with this system, explain if 60 rams can be fattened on half acre using good farm practices.
Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by phillings247: 7:44am On Jan 15, 2016
pls.what is d composition of d fertilizer u use on ur seeds
Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by Newway2(m): 9:07am On Jan 15, 2016
Hello @Maple, my Oga @ d top.
I have followed ur comments in the livestock thread of GGFadar & am impressed with all ur submissions (towards encouraging upcoming agroprenures). I wish u more vasline to ur elbow!

My questions to u is abt ur comment on ydroponics system here which is on point because am very intereested in introducing it to my new "Animal Farm"

1) Cld hydrponics system be really effective (in Nigeria) as it is claimed?
2) How did u get ur own system?
3) Can Hydroponics system be adapted to grow our leafy vegetables like: Tete? Soko? Ewedu? Ugwu?
4) How is the capacity of a hydroponics system calculated or determined?
5) If u don't mind, can u post d picture of ur own hydroponics system for others to see & to learn from?

Maple:
When hydroponic lab is situated outdoors, the issue of non-uniformity in sprouts growth or seeds not sprouting, can pose a problem even with good seeds. This I avoid by not exposing my sprouted seeds to light a bit too early. While watering the seeds I deprive them of sunlight for about 3-4 days prior to exposure. Some Cardboard or thick woolen clothes could be used to cover d trays.

1 Like

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by Nobody: 3:29am On Jan 16, 2016
Newway2:
Hello @Maple, my Oga @ d top.
I have followed ur comments in the livestock thread of GGFadar & am impressed with all ur submissions (towards encouraging upcoming agroprenures). I wish u more vasline to ur elbow!

My questions to u is abt ur comment on ydroponics system here which is on point because am very interested in introducing it to my new "Animal Farm"

1) Cld hydrponics system be really effective (in Nigeria) as it is claimed?
2) How did u get ur own system?
3) Can Hydroponics system be adapted to grow our leafy vegetables like: Tete? Soko? Ewedu? Ugwu?
4) How is the capacity of a hydroponics system calculated or determined?
5) If u don't mind, can u post d picture of ur own hydroponics system for others to see & to learn from?

You asked important questions, some of which I believed the OP could answer in his training. So, I wouldn't intrude disclosing info on the technicalities of Hydroponic systems, at least not on this thread. However, I would try and answer some questions.

1) The hydroponics is gaining popularity in Africa. It can be effective in Nigeria just like it is in countries like Kenya, South Africa, Uganda etc where its gaining more popularity.

2) I constructed it myself. Its the type that suites my needs.

3) Leafy vegetables can be grown hydroponically, including all the ones you mentioned.

4) I'll leave this part for the OP

5) My pics are on this page: https://www.nairaland.com/1812127/cattle-fattening-goat-farming-dairy/7

dgitrader:

OP, please more details!
How true is this....
'' 1kg of maize, sorghum, millet, and wheat can be converted to 10kg of fodders within 9days, and the "digestibility" from about 25% to around 95%.'' Under what conditions and with how many traystands and square meters?

Please, with this system, explain if 60 rams can be fattened on half acre using good farm practices.

The concepts and advantages of growing hydroponic fodder as mentioned by the OP are indeed true. Hydroponic fodder is a cost effective and nutritious feed which serves as a good substitute for feeds which you'll otherwise buy from feedmills. It is rich in protein, carbohydrates and fiber, in proportions depending on the legume seeds you choose. I use it as a substitute for dairy meal for my lactating cow.

With good farm practice, you can fatten 60 rams in 1/4 of an acre. 1/32th of an acre should be more than enough to grow hydroponic fodder for 60 rams. The answers regarding how to grow it, under what conditions, and # of tray stands & sizes, I leave to the OP.

3 Likes

Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by Babakolanut(m): 1:22am On Jul 05, 2023
Fast foreward 2023,how profitable is this project now?
Re: Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming by Taystee: 4:21pm On Jul 07, 2023
Babakolanut:
Fast foreward 2023,how profitable is this project now?

Hmmm... I don't think is profitable due to the economy situation of this country.

(1) (Reply)

Fishery Or Poultry; Which Is More Lucrative? / In Need Of Bags Of Groundnut Cake And Soybean Cake / Detail Updates Of My Ginger Farm Project In Southern Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.