Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,103 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State (23595 Views)

Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Origins Of The Ogori-magongo People And Its Environs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Thebadpolitican(m): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2023
TAO11:
We should believe you & abandon history because??

I am from ogori and ogori is not a Yoruba tribe

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 12:42am On Jan 18, 2023
UGBE634:
I don't think that Oral account was gotten from Udo, if it was it is not what I will take so seriously, and these are the reasons for it,
1. there is no sign of yorubaness in Udo, it is not that they migrated to the centre and say okay maybe they were submerged, for example that of Usen is so easy to believe, one can understand that they migrated down and were not submerged totally since they are at the edge,they still manage to retain their dialect alongside incorporating the language of the natives they met on ground. what about Utesse, they seem to speak a strange dialect that seem to be a mixture of yoruba and Edo. so when they talk about their yoruba antecedent, it is easier to believe, but on the other hand, Udo speak pure Bini, and is the house for the mightiest shrine in Idu or Edo land which is the Eriwmin-Idu.

today it is hard not to go online and see an Edo man from other tribal descent maybe Esan or Urhobo talking about Igodomigodo and Idu and featuring Udo, and as they feature Udo, they will be telling you that the yoruba people came around, that is why their group migrated. There is nothing you will tell me scholes0, Udo is the town with the largest tales of migration, Etsako, Esan, Urhobo, Ijaw,they can't all be lying,they couldn't have migrated from there and seem to have very related dialects with Bini and other regions. Udo seem to be the very core of what the very Edo race stand for, Urhobo, Esan, Etsako, Benin etc. the earlier history seem to be influenced by the Oba of Benin and it is just recently after the fall out with the Oba's line that is when the Iyase begun telling his history his own way. If she did migrated from Ife, how did she submerge totally to now become the core of the Edo race, when she is at the periphery, we know Udo to be very ancient and our core. Udo is a strong aboriginal community that is in the western flank. alongside with oral traditions, other facts should help in substantiating these things, it is on these basis that I find this not to be true

If you are talking about the importance of towns in the Edo race, Udo is first, it is the primal town of all Edo people, Udo's influence extend properly beyond Bini even into other Edo tribes, when you see other Edo tribes talk about migrating from Benin , they are not talking about Benin city, they are talking about Udo,

The second would be Benin, then Urhonigbe. Udo is the uniting chord of all Edo people, it is Like the Ife of the yoruba people, there is no way she would have migrated from Ife and not distribute her yoruboid trait, there is no way Udo is a Migrants town from Ife and we are not yorubas, there is no way, because the migrant population from Udo is far larger than any other Benin community.

There are variations but Udo is at the core of what Edo is, the oldest families in Benin is from Udo

Lastly Edo is not a corruption of Udo nor was it gotten from it, vive-versa, what we have is that the name Edo was that of a servant who helped the Oba in ascending the throne and in turn the Oba named the Bini city and country they are distinct and light years apart, they did not in anyway affected each others name.

It is not believable, Udo is at the periphery, she is not yoruba speaking, she does not even speak it as one of her dialect, she does not even speak a mix, she speak super pure Bini that a man from The Eastern flank of Urhonigbe and Oza would not have any trouble comprehending. My brother Oudobo does not add up. My brother there is no community that is more Edo than Udo, if at all Udo migrated, then every other Bini communities migrated.

Neccesity is laid on me to defend what is ours, and that I would do passionately, Udo is not a Migrants town at all let alone being one from the south west. Udo is our core, I am an eastern Bini man but I tell you this with all confidence, Udo is our core and our rallying point not just for the Binis but for the entire Edo race. Intuitively and instinctively you will just know it is not true

While it is nice and all to defend the 'Edoness' of Udo this passionately (I would do the same if it were me), you can't possibly be saying all those people cooked up accounts of what they met and decided to lie 'on' the Udo people out of thin air. If there's one thing I have observed about some of these neutral party writings about Nigerian cultures, it is that they try to write to the best of their observation of what they saw and traditions they met.

You for example, claim that in Edo affairs, Udo is supreme - but the actual core of Benin society today which is BENIN CITY would actually disagree vehemently with you, and that was why I asked you that preceding question. You on the other hand only agreed because you knew what would happen if you disagreed. At any rate, Udo as the core of Edo people is an era long gone.

You didn't address any of the points I raised but rather pointed to linguistic evidence and oral accounts alone, while stating that it bodes on you to defend your heritage. While it MIGHT be true that the retention of Yorubanisms is weaker now in Udo than it is in Benin, that is because Benin actually defeated udo and many of its residents fled either to Benin or back west. The ton became empty and desolate and did not start growing again until around the 70s or so. Besides, Benin has been the capital and nexus of Edo people since then. Udo was neglected by the Uhe courts as Benin was the new capital.

In the 1940s P.R Page recorded a Benin tradition that Igodo who first ruled at Udo was not Edo but actually IFE. This was before the second Ife derived dynasty that produced the culture of those in the Usen-Utese axis that were able to retain their dialects because they were; (1) closer in time; (2) in continual touch with Ife.

Anyways, all that being said - It is already rare enough to find a Benin man that is willing to accept the truth about the source of Benin's present ruling dynasty... most deny it outrightly. One on this forum is even saying the story of Oduduwa and Oranyan never existed and that it was cooked up in the Western region of old. Expecting you to accept some other things I am bringing to limelight might be too forward of a push from myself, and I wouldn't expect you to just agree, not at all. So alas, nice one.

1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 2:01am On Jan 18, 2023
The Edo are greater than the Yoruba though,then n now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by TAO11(f): 5:31am On Jan 18, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

I am from ogori and ogori is not a Yoruba tribe
First of all, my comment wasn’t directed to you. Also, it has nothing to do with Ogori.

But now that you’ve brought up Ogori; Ogori is one of the Yoruba groups in Kogi state. Do your worse.

And you’re not Ogori. Prove yourself.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by nisai: 7:54am On Jan 18, 2023
babasolution:

Am also from ogori,from my own understanding, the Ile ife origin claim is obscure,some Akoko-edo communities eg ibilo lay claim of origin to Ile ife too,they also bear Yoruba names and speak Yoruba,even Ekpedo which lay claim to Benin speak Yoruba very widely,the Yoruba speaking and naming in my opinion is fairly recent,and was probably influenced by ogori interaction with Yoruba who ogori traded with,I think there was also a Yoruba invasion period,as ososo community as the history of Yoruba invasion,it's more complex than a simple origin from Ile ife,if you read history of ogori by prof akerejola,you will see the complex history of ogori,do you know ogori language is gotten mainly from idoma? It might surprise you but it's researched.I seriously doubt ogori are Yoruba,[b]ogori people don't even look or behave like Yoruba,[/b]even though ogori loves to adapt Yoruba culture a lot.Ogori is for a long time tried to absorb a lot of Yoruba culture
I was reading through and the bolded caught my attention. Pls, how do the Yorubas behave and how do they look? And how do the Ogoris behave and look too?
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by nisai: 8:22am On Jan 18, 2023
BentizilL:

He's only writing to discredit Yoruba, ignore him pls...
Exactly. I don't know why he is so desperate. I won't be surprised if he is only claiming Ogori to give credence to his prejudice.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 8:26am On Jan 18, 2023
nisai:
I was reading through and the bolded caught my attention. Pls, how do the Yorubas behave and how do they look? And how do the Ogoris behave and look too?

It's not what can be described here in words,but especially in looks,you'd find ogori has a particular look and mannerism if you are observant that is generally distinct from yoruba mannerisms.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 9:33am On Jan 18, 2023
TAO11:

First of all, my comment wasn’t directed to you. Also, it has nothing to do with Ogori.

But now that you’ve brought up Ogori; Ogori is one of the Yoruba groups in Kogi state. Do your worse.

What's your own prove that ogori is yoruba
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 9:35am On Jan 18, 2023
nisai:
Exactly. I don't know why he is so desperate. I won't be surprised if he is only claiming Ogori to give credence to his prejudice.

Am only giving proof based on a written book by an ologori himself, I need ogorians to know their real history not just assume they are Yoruba
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 9:36am On Jan 18, 2023
TAO11:

Prove that ogori is one of the Yoruba groups
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Thebadpolitican(m): 10:11am On Jan 18, 2023
TAO11:

My mum is from ogori my father is an idoma man.... The idoma people calls ogori brothers I also schooled in edo north and I can tell the ogori are also close to the edo just like the idoma, but definitely not yoruba. I guess recent cultural influence brought in the yoruba antiquity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 10:19am On Jan 18, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

My mum is from ogori my father is an idoma man.... The idoma people calls ogori brothers I also schooled in edo north and I can tell the ogori are also close to the edo just like the idoma, but definitely not yoruba. I guess recent cultural influence brought in the yoruba antiquity

It's all coming together perfectly.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by RedboneSmith(m): 11:09am On Jan 18, 2023
I thought it was common knowledge that linguistically, Ogori language (called Oko) belongs to the NOI group (Nupoid-Oko-Idomoid), and as such is closer to Nupe, Ebira, Gwari and Idoma, than to Yoruba or Edo.

If today they speak Yoruba and have adopted aspects of Yoruba culture, it is by the same process by which other small groups surrounded by the Yoruba (eg., the Western Apoi, Ayere-Ahan, etc) are progressively being Yoruba-ized.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by TAO11(f): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

No wonder you’re defending a lie

5 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2023
RedboneSmith:
I thought it was common knowledge that linguistically, Ogori language (called Oko) belongs to the NOI group (Nupoid-Oko-Idomoid), and as such is closer to Nupe, Ebira, Gwari and Idoma, than to Yoruba or Edo.

If today they speak Yoruba and have adopted aspects of Yoruba culture, it is by the same process by which other small groups surrounded by the Yoruba (eg., the Western Apoi, Ayere-Ahan, etc) are progressively being Yoruba-ized.

N-O-I is just like Y-E-A-I.
So while Oko might be nominally closer to Nupoid compared to the languages in YEAI, it is an independent arm of that branch. The argument being made by the other guy was that the language was Idomoid or Edoid. He seems to be throwing those terms around without really understanding what they actually mean. It is the same as saying Etsako is Igboid or that Urhobo is Yoruboid because Yoruboid and Edoid are said to be on the same branch.
On the other hand, the case with the Apoi is a bit more complex because they intermarried heavily with the Ikale in the past and now are monolingual in a Yoruba dialect. This was what led to the Apoi language shift which is as a matter of fact complete, not in process. (It happened even before Nigeria)
Then in addition, the Ogori and Magongo claim an Ife point of origin just like the Ayere.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by RedboneSmith(m): 5:03pm On Jan 18, 2023
scholes0:

N-O-I is just like Y-E-A-I.
So while Oko might be nominally closer to Nupoid compared to the languages in YEAI, it is an independent arm of that branch. The argument being made by the other guy was that the language was Idomoid or Edoid. He seems to be throwing those terms around without really understanding what they actually mean. It is the same as saying Etsako is Igboid or that Urhobo is Yoruboid because Yoruboid and Edoid are said to be on the same branch.
On the other hand, the case with the Apoi is a bit more complex because they intermarried heavily with the Ikale in the past and now are monolingual in a Yoruba dialect. This was what led to the Apoi language shift which is as a matter of fact complete, not in process. (It happened even before Nigeria)
Then in addition, the Ogori and Magongo claim an Ife point of origin just like the Ayere.
OK, yea, I get.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Olu317(m): 11:44am On Jan 19, 2023
UGBE634:
scholes0 I like the way you place words, but I would want you to have an understanding of some of these issues, what we find is that to obtain legitimacy from the People, the yoruboid set of Binis seem to want to "yorubanize" Bini history both local and "foreign", whatever we do we should understand that Bini is not really one sect and everyone has the right to tell their history regardless of who is more famous and prominent and we also have a right to accept what we should accept, we have seven main kings in Benin which are (1)Oba of Benin
(2.)Ogie-amien of Utantan
(3)Iyase of Udo
(4) Enogie of Ugo
5 Okaevbo of Urhonigbe
6 Enogie of Egor
7. Elawure of Usen
These stools

it is only perhaps in the mouth of yoruba affiliated kings and people that you will hear of Ogiso coming from Ife, which are the Oba of Benin and Olu-awure of Usen and other yoruba affiliated people, we had moonlight tales in Benin then growing up when Benin was not this urban, it should still be there in the villages, not for once did I hear of any Ogiso coming from Ife, I only read it for the first time on nairaland .

The Oba and the Usen people are not qualified to tell the history of the Ogisos, they don't have the locus-standi to tell it. The Ogisos and her history predates their existence in Benin. The history of the Ogisos is entirely a local business. a business of the aborigines
I doubt Ogiso coming from ileife. Most account written to glorify the link between ileife and Ogiso is seemingly fabicated.

I have never seen Ora descendants overall King Obaluru of Ora ife dynasty mentioning Ogiso as a descendant of Ora ife

1.The name Ogiso is meaningless in Yoruba language, unless proven right to have meaning

2. I know not of a house in historical research in Ileife who claim ancestor of Ogiso.

3.The fusion of Bini history is due to the assertion of some groups wanting to suppress other people's history,which is damning to our history as a whole.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2023
Olu317:
I doubt Ogiso coming from ileife. Most account written to glorify the link between ileife and Ogiso is seemingly fabicated.

I have never seen Ora descendants overall King Obaluru of Ora ife dynasty mentioning Ogiso as a descendant of Ora ife

1.The name Ogiso is meaningless in Yoruba language, unless proven right to have meaning

2. I know not of a house in historical research in Ileife who claim ancestor of Ogiso.

3.The fusion of Bini history is due to the assertion of some groups wanting to suppress other people's history,which is damning to our history as a whole.

This is akin to what I have been saying ,but someone accused be of trying to discredit Yoruba,the thing is that many minority tribes history as falsely been made to be subsumed by major tribes,like the case of ogori and magongo which as been subsumed to a Yoruba subgroup which might even be wrong.

Many tribes close to the Yoruba like the edos and even smaller tribes like ogori,egun etc have a forced ile-ife origin link.

There needs to be a broader perspective to the history of minority groups .The ile-ife myth needs proper research it's to one sided.

The Yoruba have tried to link almost every tribe under an ile-ife origin, further consideration as to be made to determine the veracity of these claims

4 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Olu317(m): 4:03pm On Jan 19, 2023
babasolution:

This is akin to what I have been saying ,but someone accused be of trying to discredit Yoruba,the thing is that many minority tribes history as falsely been made to be subsumed by major tribes,like the case of ogori and magongo which as been subsumed to a Yoruba subgroup which might even be wrong.

Many tribes close to the Yoruba like the edos and even smaller tribes like ogori,egun etc have a forced ile-ife origin link.

There needs to be a broader perspective to the history of minority groups .The ile-ife myth needs proper research it's to one sided.

The Yoruba have tried to link almost every tribe under an ile-ife origin, further consideration as to be made to determine the veracity of these claims
Well, I do know that the oldest identified ancestor in Yoruba land of ileife is Ora ife. This personality had many descendants across Yoruba land. Matrilineal linked to present Ooni dynasty.

It is a fact that,Ileife have record of immigrants to and emigrants from ileife. So, it will always be plausible for the said people who were of Yoruba stock who emigrated to other land to had influence and pronounced their own history more which is embedded in their own form of civilization.

Imperatively, wherever Yoruba descendants are, there is a challenge on identity crisis with other ethnic subgroups which make such place, a bit complex with ancestral link to Ileife,especially with such personality as Odua,who is a father figure who represent his own ancestors, relatives and descendants even others groups who are not originally of the same stocks.

Therefore, if getting certain fact accurate, then, it will not be extremely wrong to hear Ogori Magogo as having some stocks among them as people of Ileife and from other places aswell. Tapa, Baruba, Edoid groups, etc cannot be excluded from many Yoruba establishment.

Of a note , Yoruba language with its civilization and embodiment of way of life, is impactful , wherever it is found. For instance, I know many groups in Cuba who are modern day mulattoes and claim, ancestral link to Yoruba, even adherents to ifaodu tradition.This can be said to exist in other South and North America setup.

So, it will be flawful to discredit other people who had made every established system thrive in one way or the other in Yoruba land.

And if such groups of people had became part of the family lineage associated with Yoruba, then it is logical to accept who ever claims to be Yoruboid stock. This has nothing to do with forceful claimants of other people's heritage.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 9:37am On Jan 20, 2023
babasolution:

The Yoruba origin story is mostly moonlight tale no much concrete facts to back it up.

Also note the even within the Yoruba itself,they have disputing origin stories so we can't just rely on any oral unresearched story

grin grin grin

Thank God More and More People are waking up and seeing through Yoruba lies and fairy tales

Cc gregyboy ugbe
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by RedboneSmith(m): 10:36am On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

grin grin grin

Thank God More and More People are waking up and seeing through Yoruba lies and fairy tales

Cc gregyboy ugbe

Most origin stories are not historical fact. It's not a Yoruba thing. There was no prince from Baghdad called Bayajidda who settled in Daura. There was no Eri who came from the sky. God did not create the world from a drop of milk (according to Fulani legends). Benin origin stories speak of a son of Osanobua that poured sand from a snailshell to create land. That did not happen.

For the most part, origin stories were created by communities to explain a distant part that they no longer remember.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 1:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Most origin stories are not historical fact. It's not a Yoruba thing. There was no prince from Baghdad called Bayajidda who settled in Daura. There was no Eri who came from the sky. God did not create the world from a drop of milk (according to Fulani legends). Benin origin stories speak of a son of Osanobua that poured sand from a snailshell to create land. That did not happen.

For the most part, origin stories were created by communities to explain a distant part that they no longer remember.

Calm down I was referring to Ile Ife migration nonsense paraded by most Yorubas and not their even more hilarious oduduwa falling from the sky with two chickens tale .... I thought I was specific enough ?
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 1:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
Ugbe634 you are arguing Edo history with scholes0 a Yoruba boy from "Ondo"..... You are unbelievable sometimes, let me just let you know this right now!!!
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 2:32pm On Jan 20, 2023
scholes0:

While it is nice and all to defend the 'Edoness' of Udo this passionately (I would do the same if it were me), you can't possibly be saying all those people cooked up accounts of what they met and decided to lie 'on' the Udo people out of thin air. If there's one thing I have observed about some of these neutral party writings about Nigerian cultures, it is that they try to write to the best of their observation of what they saw and traditions they met.

You for example, claim that in Edo affairs, Udo is supreme - but the actual core of Benin society today which is BENIN CITY would actually disagree vehemently with you, and that was why I asked you that preceding question. You on the other hand only agreed because you knew what would happen if you disagreed. At any rate, Udo as the core of Edo people is an era long gone.

You didn't address any of the points I raised but rather pointed to linguistic evidence and oral accounts alone, while stating that it bodes on you to defend your heritage. While it MIGHT be true that the retention of Yorubanisms is weaker now in Udo than it is in Benin, that is because Benin actually defeated udo and many of its residents fled either to Benin or back west. The ton became empty and desolate and did not start growing again until around the 70s or so. Besides, Benin has been the capital and nexus of Edo people since then. Udo was neglected by the Uhe courts as Benin was the new capital.

In the 1940s P.R Page recorded a Benin tradition that Igodo who first ruled at Udo was not Edo but actually IFE. This was before the second Ife derived dynasty that produced the culture of those in the Usen-Utese axis that were able to retain their dialects because they were; (1) closer in time; (2) in continual touch with Ife.

Anyways, all that being said - It is already rare enough to find a Benin man that is willing to accept the truth about the source of Benin's present ruling dynasty... most deny it outrightly. One on this forum is even saying the story of Oduduwa and Oranyan never existed and that it was cooked up in the Western region of old. Expecting you to accept some other things I am bringing to limelight might be too forward of a push from myself, and I wouldn't expect you to just agree, not at all. So alas, nice one.
That Udo is older is not in doubt at all, Udo is older and supreme in terms of age and historical importance, you can tell folklores of Udo up to four thousand years. there is a festival or ceremony that is done in Benin, I can't place my hand on the name right now, when they are done doing it, One of the fore-man in the festival would cry with a loud voice nomarehe vbe nor ya he vbu udo, ari-eman gha riu udo ne" meaning who has not eaten let him go and eat in Udo, Eman ( pounded yam) has been taken to Udo. That shows the supremacy of Udo as our foremost town, now Udo is old, she is so ancient as compare to Benin, Benin might not even be older than Urhonigbe, what is going for her is that she is the present seat of the Oba. What made the Court of Uhe chose Benin over Udo might be because she is at the centre of Benin.

The culture of Utesse and Usen was not preserved because it is recent and because they kept in touch but rather because they migrated as a group and secondly because they are at the edge, I bet you if any or both of them had gone to settle at the centre, they would have been swallowed up by now and speak Edo as a mono-dialect.

Time is not even a factor for Udo not been yoruba speaking, it never happened, there was never a yoruba civilization in Udo, Udo was always peopled and a steady rival to Benin just like Ugo, it was not until the reign of the Warrior king Oba Esigie before Udo was finally subdued.

I am not faulting the chroniclers, but the persons who gave out the Information, You cannot override the influence of the Oba on Udo and every other Benin community. The first port of call historically was usually the Palace, especially as it pertains to the history of the people. If you want to get pure Edo history, go and ask Urhobo or Etsako, then merge it with the story of the local Binis and Esan then you will know who is telling the truth and a lie, as against the Oba of Bini story who has successfully made Edo history- yoruba history.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 2:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:
Ugbe634 you are arguing Edo history with scholes0 a Yoruba boy from "Ondo"..... You are unbelievable sometimes, let me just let you know this right now!!!
should I now let him matchete our history because he is an Ondo man, I have always said that when I argue here, I am not trying to convince anyone who would not want to be convinced but it is for the wider audience to read and see that which is true between my argument and his,-posterity sake.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 6:20pm On Jan 20, 2023
UGBE634:
That Udo is older is not in doubt at all, Udo is older and supreme in terms of age and historical importance, you can tell folklores of Udo up to four thousand years. there is a festival or ceremony that is done in Benin, I can't place my hand on the name right now, when they are done doing it, One of the fore-man in the festival would cry with a loud voice nomarehe vbe nor ya he vbu udo, ari-eman gha riu udo ne" meaning who has not eaten let him go and eat in Udo, Eman ( pounded yam) has been taken to Udo. That shows the supremacy of Udo as our foremost town, now Udo is old, she is so ancient as compare to Benin, Benin might not even be older than Urhonigbe, what is going for her is that she is the present seat of the Oba. What made the Court of Uhe chose Benin over Udo might be because she is at the centre of Benin.

The culture of Utesse and Usen was not preserved because it is recent and because they kept in touch but rather because they migrated as a group and secondly because they are at the edge, I bet you if any or both of them had gone to settle at the centre, they would have been swallowed up by now and speak Edo as a mono-dialect.

Time is not even a factor for Udo not been yoruba speaking, it never happened, there was never a yoruba civilization in Udo, Udo was always peopled and a steady rival to Benin just like Ugo, it was not until the reign of the Warrior king Oba Esigie before Udo was finally subdued.

I am not faulting the chroniclers, but the persons who gave out the Information, You cannot override the influence of the Oba on Udo and every other Benin community. The first port of call historically was usually the Palace, especially as it pertains to the history of the people. If you want to get pure Edo history, go and ask Urhobo or Etsako, then merge it with the story of the local Binis and Esan then you will know who is telling the truth and a lie, as against the Oba of Bini story who has successfully made Edo history- yoruba history.

While that might be true that they may have been monolingual in Edo by now, they for sure would still have their pedigree intact. There are countless families in Oredo and Benin metro generally that are well aware of their Ife origins.
The families of; Eson, Ero, Edigin, Ogbebor n'Usen, the Oba, the whole of the Ihogbe class of Chiefs and their descendants who are the official keepers of the Oba's Pedigree and History (Uheloro, Letema, Uhe Obioba, Uheluyi, Ihama, Legema and co), Osa and Osuan, the Adun, The Ine of Igun casters and his people, the Esogban, Eriyo, Elema, Eholo, Bamawo, Ehendiwo, Oloton, the Ogbe sasa chiefs like the Olukotun and Olukohi ... and so on, on, on, on....forth.
The Yoruba presence in Benin is very numerous... Benin city is littered with place names of these Yoruba people, although they are all Benins today.

The presence of Yorubas in Benin preceded Oranmiyan, that is what many don't know (or don't want to agree with, because it breaks with a certain narrative), people want to conviniently agree that Yorubas only started flowing towards Benin/Edo with the Oranyan episode, that is untrue. In fact, let me blow your mind - The Uzama who facilitated the settling of Oranmiyan in the vicinity of Benin were already on ground since the early time of the Ogiso) I am talking of the likes of the Odofin (Edohen), Olifa (Oliha) and Aro (Ero). It is no wonder they shielded their brother from the tumults of Benin when Oranmiyan was trying to settle until he left again. The Ogiso-Ife link will make complete sense to any one who is willing to look with an open mind.

On the rest of what you said, I am glad you agree that the writers were not making up stuff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Who is this one? can you argue "Edo" history with me?
Better go find somewher to siddon. this discussion is above your immature wits and hominem attacks. Is the discussion about me or the topic being discussed, mtcheew angry
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 6:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
scholes0:

While that might be true that they may have been monolingual in Edo by now, they for sure would still have their pedigree intact. There are countless families in Oredo and Benin metro generally that are well aware of their Ife origins.
The families of; Eson, Ero, Edigin, Ogbebor n'Usen, the Oba, the whole of the Ihogbe class of Chiefs and their descendants who are the official keepers of the Oba's Pedigree and History (Uheloro, Letema, Uhe Obioba, Uheluyi, Ihama, Legema and co), Osa and Osuan, the Adun, The Ine of Igun casters and his people, the Esogban, Eriyo, Elema, Eholo, Bamawo, Ehendiwo, Oloton, the Ogbe sasa chiefs like the Olukotun and Olukohi ... and so on, on, on, on....forth.
The Yoruba presence in Benin is very numerous... Benin city is littered with place names of these Yoruba people, although they are all Benins today.

The presence of Yorubas in Benin preceded Oranmiyan, that is what many don't know (or don't want to agree with, because it breaks with a certain narrative), people want to conviniently agree that Yorubas only started flowing towards Benin/Edo with the Oranyan episode, that is untrue. In fact, let me blow your mind - The Uzama who facilitated the settling of Oranmiyan in the vicinity of Benin were already on ground since the early time of the Ogiso) I am talking of the likes of the Odofin (Edohen), Olifa (Oliha) and Aro (Ero). It is no wonder they shielded their brother from the tumults of Benin when Oranmiyan was trying to settle until he left again. The Ogiso-Ife link will make complete sense to any one who is willing to look with an open mind.

On the rest of what you said, I am glad you agree that the writers were not making up stuff.
Have you gone to interview every family there and you are certain they came from Ife or yoruba or it is because their names sound alike with what you have in Yoruba land, you suggest they are from yoruba. Maybe I should take automaticmotors serious and stop arguing with you.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 6:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
UGBE634:
Have you gone to interview every family there and you are certain they came from Ife or yoruba or it is because their names sound alike with what you have in Yoruba land, you suggest they are from yoruba. Maybe I should take automaticmotors serious and stop arguing with you.

What interviews? The Esogban and the Ine amongst others said it with their own mouths. I am not assuming.
Don't worry, I know it might be hard to agree.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 6:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
scholes0:

What interviews? The Esogban and the Ine amongst others said it with their own mouths. I am not assuming.
Don't worry, I know it might be hard to agree.
Said it that all the families there came from Ife? Where is the source
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 6:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Calm down I was referring to Ile Ife migration nonsense paraded by most Yorubas and not their even more hilarious oduduwa falling from the sky with two chickens tale .... I thought I was specific enough ?

Maybe we should accept the Egyptian migration nonsense of the Benins then, or the one where Oba the son of Osanobua went under the sea to battle Olokun and now owns all the land from Benin to Europe. At least two Yoruba chickens are better than one Edo Chameleon that can't even fly but landed from the Sky.

Sone of you no get zenz. You live in glass houses but don't know how not to throw stones

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 6:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
UGBE634:
Said it that all the families there came from Ife? Where is the source

Okay which of them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin Presents Car To Journalist Sanni Agboola / Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest / Nigeria's National Anthem In Igbo Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.