Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,739 members, 7,834,471 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State (23868 Views)

Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Origins Of The Ogori-magongo People And Its Environs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 10:30pm On Jan 20, 2023
scholes0:

And all the other families in the initial post?
And the Ihogbe?
Anways .......
some of them are so visible, others may not so be the Ihogbe not all the positions are hereditary, some are by appointment
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 10:41pm On Jan 20, 2023
UGBE634:
some of them are so visible, others may not so be the Ihogbe not all the positions are hereditary, some are by appointment

All the original Ihogbe posts were borne by people from Ife. Infact that is why they are called the Oba's family.
I wasn't making or mixing up anything in my original post at all.

Anyways, you deserve a break, you don try.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 10:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
scholes0:

All the original Ihogbe posts were borne by people from Ife. Infact that is why they are called the Oba's family.
I wasn't making or mixing up anything in my original post at all.

Anyways, you deserve a break, you don try.
I would not know what those do mean though

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 10:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Even going by ogori/magongo names of quarters and settlements within the towns you'd get to hear a semblance with Edo and even idoma names,eg Akpafa,similar to akpapava in Benin,even old original ogori names have an idomoid/edoid sound eg idu,etu ,okpowo etc.The Yoruba names are recent names even the Yoruba surnames

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Urhonigbe: 4:47pm On Jan 21, 2023
[
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by RedboneSmith(m): 1:58pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
The Binis were already ironsmith from time immemorial, infact according to the Oba, it was bronze smith that came from ife

Does Eronmwon have a meaning in Edo?

Also, scholes0, does 'Sunwen' have a meaning in Yoruba?According to one source Oduduwa's brass-Smith was called Sunwen.

(E-)ron-mwon and Sun-wen are similar enough for someone that has a good eye for linguistic relations to suspect that there's cognatic affinity here.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Also, scholes0, does 'Sunwen' have a meaning in Yoruba?According to one source Oduduwa's brass-Smith was called Sunwen.

(E-)ron-mwon and Sun-wen are similar enough for someone that has a good eye for linguistic relations to suspect that there's cognatic affinity here.
Sir the meaning of Eron-wmon in Benin means bronze

Eron-wmon means an iron-like object appealing to the sight

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:22pm On Jan 22, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Eronmwon in Edo means Brass. Although it is Ude in the Ife dialect.
However Iron would be Urin.

Lead in Yoruba is Oje. Oze in Edo.

Sunwen sounds like a name that would come from South eastern Yorubaland, Ondo, Ikale, Oluji, Ilaje and co.
It could mean a lot of things since it is a name and not an item . It could even be a priest/worshipper of Uwen. from Sen (venerate) and Uwen (the Iwin deity of parts of Yorubaland)

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:34pm On Jan 22, 2023
babasolution:
Even going by ogori/magongo names of quarters and settlements within the towns you'd get to hear a semblance with Edo and even idoma names,eg Akpafa,similar to akpapava in Benin,even old original ogori names have an idomoid/edoid sound eg idu,etu ,okpowo etc.The Yoruba names are recent names even the Yoruba surnames

Qua qua qua qua.
Pls... what is especially special about the names Akpafa, etu, idu or okpowo? LMAO .. All these words could have meaning in any of the numerous Yoruba dialects.

Its also funny how you remember those ones, but don't remember the most important parts of town: AIYEROMI, ARAWU, AYETORO, EKU OBA, ILETEJU, OBINOYIN, UDADEGUN, OMODA, OBATIGBEN or OJUBEDI.

At least if you want to mention areas of town the least you could have done is list an ample sample.

Agenda must agend with you.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:34pm On Jan 22, 2023
babasolution:

Qua qua qua qua.
Pls... what is especially special about the names; Akpafa, etu, idu or okpowo? LMAO .. All these words could have meaning in any of the numerous Yoruba dialects.

Its also funny how you remember those ones, but don't remember the most important parts of town: AIYEROMI, ARAWU, AYETORO, EKU OBA, ILETEJU, OBINOYIN, UDADEGUN, OMODA, ABATIGBEN, OKESI or OJUBEDI.

At least if you want to mention areas of town the least you could have done is list an ample sample.

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2023
scholes0:

Eronmwon in Edo means Brass. Although it is Ude in the Ife dialect.
However Iron would be Urin.

Lead in Yoruba is Oje. Oze in Edo.

Sunwen sounds like a name that would come from South eastern Yorubaland, Ondo, Ikale, Oluji, Ilaje and co.
It could mean a lot of things since it is a name and not an item . It could even be a priest/worshipper of Uwen. from Sen (venerate) and Uwen (the Iwin deity of parts of Yorubaland)
In Edo Iron is Ematon, that is the general Iron, while a distinct one like the bronze is called Eron-wmon. Eron-wmon ranges from something very precious, someone's child, daughter in this case can be called Eron-wmon. It is because of the uniqueness and appeal of this iron-like object that is why the name Eron-wmon stuck to it. I never knew lead was called Oze in Edo maybe because we don't use it on a regular. Where did you find that

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:47pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
In Edo Iron is Ematon, that is the general Iron, while a distinct one like the bronze is called Eron-wmon. Eron-wmon ranges from something very precious, someone's child, daughter in this case can be called Eron-wmon. It is because of the uniqueness and appeal of this iron-like object that is why the name Eron-wmon stuck to it. I never knew lead was called Oze in Edo maybe because we don't use it on a regular. Where did you find that

Yes Iron is Ematon. Eronmwon is brass. Most of what is called Bronze in classical Africana art is usually some kind of brass alloy.
On your comment about the value of Eronmwon, you are right.. Infact, it was more valued in Benin society than Gold and Silver before this mdoern era.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 2:50pm On Jan 22, 2023
scholes0:

Yes Iron is Ematon. Eronmwon is brass. Most of what is called Bronze in classical Africana art is usually some kind of brass alloy.
On your comment about the value of Eronmwon, you are right.. Infact, it was more valued in Benin society than Gold and Silver before this mdoern era.

what about the lead, where did you get that, I have not heard of it, maybe because we don't have everyday use for it, I didn't even know we have a name for it, I would want to know your source
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 2:58pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
what about the lead, where did you get that, I have not heard of it, maybe because we don't have everyday use for it, I didn't even know we have a name for it, I would want to know your source

It is from the Bini language dictionary c.1937 by H. Melzian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 3:14pm On Jan 22, 2023
scholes0:

It is from the Bini language dictionary c.1937 by H. Melzian
oh okay, thank you
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Thebadpolitican(m): 7:51pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
oh okay, thank you

I feel irritated the way you argue to favour the yoruba narrative dem gats open your head to let you know say ife relationship and bini didn't exist

Something tells me you're not a pure benin man you also also related to the yorubas In a way you're so kin to spread this false history

Benin and ife didnt exist prove me otherwise

If you can't then pack yourself out of culture thread

Nawa oo

Some people sha

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 8:06pm On Jan 22, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

I feel irritated the way you argue to favour the yoruba narrative dem gats open your head to let you know say ife relationship and bini didn't exist

Something tells me you're not a pure benin man you also also related to the yorubas In a way you're so kin to spread this false history

Nawa oo

Some people sha
If not that the Oba is the prime man in Benin, would you bother to argue where he came from gregyboy? Bamawo, the Esogban in time past have all talked about their affinity with Ife, you did not bother to disprove, and they supposedly followed who down?

The Usen people, The Ogiegor, The Ogie-amien can't all be making up tales. For we to get it right with our history, we have to accept truth.

Someone said it he has affinity with Ife, I would now be arguing against it, that's madness

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 8:16pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
If not that the Oba is the prime man in Benin, would you bother to argue where he came from gregyboy? Bamawo, the Esogban in time past have all talked about their affinity with Ife, you did not bother to disprove, and they supposedly followed who down?

The Usen people, The Ogiegor, The Ogie-amien can't all be making up tales. For we to get it right with our history, we have to accept truth.

Someone said it he has affinity with Ife, I would now be arguing against it, that's madness

You are becoming very suspect !! I have been watching you... Your Agenda would unravel soon

Cc AreaFada2
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 8:17pm On Jan 22, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Nawa oo

Some people sha

That guy is getting very irritating... He would be exposed soon enough
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 8:18pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:

How many times does the Oba have to sink it into your skull that the oduduwa the Yorubas are obsessed with was from Benin?
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 8:18pm On Jan 22, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

You are becoming very suspect !! I have bern watching you... Your Agenda would unravel soon

Cc AreaFada2
point one thing I have said there that is "suspicious"
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 8:19pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:
point one thing I have said there that is "suspicious"

Na now you wan talk say point to it abi after dancing naked for many moons around your father's house ! I don't have your time
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by UGBE634: 8:19pm On Jan 22, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

How many times does the Oba have to sink it into your skull that the oduduwa the Yorubas are obsessed with was from Benin?
It is proven that he died at Ughoton

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 8:22pm On Jan 22, 2023
UGBE634:

What I want to say to you would likely get my accounted banned for 19yrs..... I know your medicine you would receive it in full!
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 8:53pm On Jan 22, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

What I want to say to you would likely get my accounted banned for 19yrs..... I know your medicine you would receive it in full!

What do you want to say other than curse the guy out? Mtcheew.
Did Ekaladerhan not die in Ughoton? The Ughoton people don't even have any record of him leaving the village for anywhere else.
How he became Oduduwa is still a mystery to the older generation of Benins alive today except those who chose not to speak. Infact, Oduduwa is known and venerated in Benin as Ododuwa and NOT as Ekalade... whatever.
you belong to the class of those people that will never contribute to the topic but will just sit in one corner chiding people.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AreaFada2: 9:17pm On Jan 22, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

That guy is getting very irritating... He would be exposed soon enough
I guess we all need to learn and be open-minded not to be like our brothers from the other side who feel too educated and sophisticated to listen to others.

What made me to really start doubting this every famous hunter prince migrating from Ife in the 10th or 11th century (some put it even earlier or later) is that there are too many inconsistent versions and there seems to have been hundreds of Oduduwa children who were "famous hunters". Haba! Didn't princes do anything else there aside hunting? How many surviving kids, in the days of high child mortality rates, did Oduduwa actually have?

How come Samuel Ajayi Crowther that travelled through Benin to Igboland never mentioned Benin-Ife link as prominent as Benin was back then? He wrote a lot about how Igbo from across the Niger were increasingly diluting the Benin population of Asaba.

Today in Eastern Yorubaland, many people that previously claimed a straightforward Benin descent for centuries now all have an Ife hunter prince that also came to join the Benin people to found those places. A hunter prince from Ife appears to be easiest way to claim being a bona fide Yoruba due to ethnic politics.

There is still no written account of Benin-Ife link until after 1800 despite how much information Europeans wrote about Benin since 1470s.

Some claim that a European wrote about Benin people mentioning "Organe" in the hinterland that Benin went on pilgrimage. Where exactly was that? Would Ile-Ife have been too difficult to pronounce or write than Organe? shocked shocked

Even a Yoruba guy wrote less than two weeks ago here on NL that Oduduwa story may well not be literally the way many take it nowadays.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 12:28am On Jan 23, 2023
AreaFada2:

I guess we all need to learn and be open-minded not to be like our brothers from the other side who feel too educated and sophisticated to listen to others.

What made me to really start doubting this every famous hunter migrating from Ife in the 10th or 11th century (some put it even earlier or later) is that there are too many inconsistent versions and there seems to have been hundreds of Oduduwa children who were "famous hunters". Haba! Didn't princes do anything else there aside hunting? How many and surviving kids, in the days of high child mortality rates, did Oduduwa have?

How come Samuel Ajayi Crowther that travelled through Benin to Igboland never mention Benin-Ife link as prominent as Benin was back then? He wrote a lot about how Igbo from across the Niger were increasingly diluting the Benin population of Asaba.
Today in Eastern Yorubaland, many people that straightforward claimed Benin Descent now all have Ife hunter prince that also came to join the Benin people to found those places. A hunter prince from Ife appears to be easiest way to claim being a Bana Fide Yoruba due to ethnic politics.
There is still no written account of Benin-Ife link until after 1800 despite how much information Europeans wrote about Benin since 1470s.

Some claim that a European wrote about Benin people mentioning "Organe" in the hinterland that Benin went on pilgrimage. Where exactly was that? Would Ile-Ife be too difficult to pronounce or write?

Even a Yoruba guy wrote less than two weeks ago here on NL that Oduduwa story may well not be literally the way many take it nowadays.

You spoke well as always boss! This oduduwa nonsense is becoming a stink on Benin Empire history and always stink attracts the flies just like that irritating fly, that is flying around constituting nuisance on this thread trying so hard for me to notice him grin
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 12:35am On Jan 23, 2023
scholes0:

Qua qua qua qua.
Pls... what is especially special about the names; Akpafa, etu, idu or okpowo? LMAO .. All these words could have meaning in any of the numerous Yoruba dialects.

Its also funny how you remember those ones, but don't remember the most important parts of town: AIYEROMI, ARAWU, AYETORO, EKU OBA, ILETEJU, OBINOYIN, UDADEGUN, OMODA, ABATIGBEN, OKESI or OJUBEDI.

Even most of the names you alighted aren't Yoruba only few like ileteju,aiyeromi etc which are recent quarters like I highlited previously, ileteju didn't exist back then,it's a new quarter,it's not part of the original ogori quarters,majority of the ogori quarters and magongo have non Yoruba names,they have no meaning in Yoruba,I didn't say they are Benin or idoma either but that they have similarities, most original ogori names are extremely distant from Yoruba,they aren't related to Yoruba at all,likewise original ogori culture which is far from Yoruba culture,ogori-magongo as only been highly yorubanize in recent years,originally we had no similarities with Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by macof(m): 1:34am On Jan 23, 2023
scholes0:

The Original Ojomo/Ezomo were not hereditary... they were simply valiant citizens who proved themselves in war/battle/chivalry

By some accounts, Oranmiyan conferred his own Ojomo from Usen. Ezomos became hereditary after Oba Akinjuwa (Akenzua), which is most likely the Esan pedigree of Ezomo started and became fixed.

Also I forget but isn't there an ijebu connection to the Ezomo title?

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by TAO11(f): 8:15am On Jan 23, 2023
UGBE634:
who died at Ughoton?

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Thebadpolitican(m): 8:18am On Jan 23, 2023
UGBE634:

You're high on weed bro nothing more nothing less

So are they not human anyone can say anything for their own benefit

Didn't Americans fool the world that they have been to the moon not until people started doubting such claims

You're a yoruba man and I will address you as such

I don't want to know what the esogban or the usen people claim

I want to you to bring evidence and not just mere words

Bring evidence that predate 1897 to backup your claims

Then we can then believes the words of Usen and esogban but if the past is saying otherwise
Then I am sorry you're a clown

You're a yoruba man or you're from usen disguising as a benin man

Soon enough we will expose you

I have said it countless of times why such false narrative in benin history is being circulated

But ugbe who is a yoruba man choose not to see reasons why the palace are circulating it he wants to give glory to his yoruba brothers I will never let that happen

Even samuk disgraced you the last time and you went mute, you have to be booted out of culture thread sooner. you have no value you are adding here
You do no research, neither do you even know benin history oral wise, you're just a yoruba clown

Swear you're not yoruba or related to one you infidel parading as an edo man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by AutomaticMotors: 3:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

You're high on weed bro nothing more nothing less

So are they not human anyone can say anything for their own benefit

Didn't Americans fool the world that they have been to the moon not until people started doubting such claims

You're a yoruba man and I will address you as such

I don't want to know what the esogban or the usen people claim

I want to you to bring evidence and not just mere words

Bring evidence that predate 1897 to backup your claims

Then we can then believes the words of Usen and esogban but if the past is saying otherwise
Then I am sorry you're a clown

You're a yoruba man or you're from usen disguising as a benin man

Soon enough we will expose you

I have said it countless of times why such false narrative in benin history is being circulated

But ugbe who is a yoruba man choose not to see reasons why the palace are circulating it he wants to give glory to his yoruba brothers I will never let that happen

Even samuk disgraced you the last time and you went mute, you have to be booted out of culture thread sooner. you have no value you are adding here
You do no research, neither do you even know benin history oral wise, you're just a yoruba clown

Swear you're not yoruba or related to one you infidel parading as an edo man

Complete infidel ooo and a stinky one at that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Distinguishing Physical Characteristics Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups / Sa'ad Abubakar, Sultan Of Sokoto Kicks Against Restructuring / Nigeria's National Anthem In Igbo Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.