Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,288 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 (20077 Views)

Buhari Can Be Impeached Over Magu – Senator Okurounmu / 'It Is Over For Magu, Buhari Can Not Send His Name To Senate Again': Dino Melaye / 1 Dollar = 1 Naira: Buhari Approves An Exchange Rate Of N160 To $1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 11:58am On Dec 30, 2015
Bevista:
First and foremost, the president has NEVER promised to make N1 = $1. I dare you to give me a valid reference where he was quoted. I do not mean article headlines or writer's conjectures.
---
Secondly, the CBN has very little control over the value of the Naira. The Naira value depends largely on FX receipts from oil sales and the country's NET Export position. As long as oil prices stay low and we continue to have a negative balance of payments, the CBN's effort to prop up the value of the Naira will be vain and futile. If they insist, then there will be dire unintended consequences.
---
Thirdly, a strong Naira is not even desirable. If the Naira becomes too strong, it will make imports cheaper than locally manufactured/produced goods which will simply kill local industries and export jobs.
---
Fourthly, re-denominating the Naira by dropping two zeros will only increase the FACE value of the Naira without increasing its REAL value. All income and revenue will be re-denominated implying a zero effect. The cost of issuing new currency notes also needs to be considered.
I'm a blind supporter of BUHARI in all measurements. I have never believed BUHARI actually said and , until for the first time I saw the writer of this article coming with this reference below.

I quite agree on most points you raised though.

In March 2015, the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) published a report, which was also syndicated in several Newspapers, that the All Progressives Congress Presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammed Buhari had promised “to ensure that the Naira was equal to the dollar in value, if voted into office”.

Buhari made this statement during the South East Presidential campaign rally of his party at the Dan Anyiam stadium in Owerri on Monday, 23rd March 2015. The APC candidate apparently lamented that “it is sad that the value of the Naira has dropped to more than N230 to $1” and he therefore cautioned that “this does not speak well for the Nation’s economy”
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 12:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
engrshakespeare:

No mind am, they have no message yet they abuse abuse messengers
bunch of illiterates all over d place trying to say what they cannot defend. No mind those guys
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by jstriker442(m): 12:06pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:
counter the article with facts to make the writer 'un-silly'.
$1=#1............
What u saying is he should make $1=#100 naira, then change the denomination i.e #100=#1 .

Therby making $1=#1. If i am right, that would simply mean my #1000 becomes #10. My #10 becomes becomes 1 kobo.

So pls explain hw the value was changed and not the DIGITS

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by viktor01(m): 12:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Am I the only one who didn't grasp the silly analysis?

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 12:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
jstriker442:
$1=#1............
What u saying is he should make $1=#100 naira, then change the denomination i.e #100=#1 .

Therby making $1=#1. If i am right, that would simply mean my #1000 becomes #10. My #10 becomes becomes 1 kobo.

So pls explain hw the value was changed and not the DIGITS
it's called redecimalization.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by becoted(m): 12:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
[quote author=BALLOSKI post=41448349]

http://www.theheraldng.com/how-buhari-can-achieve-n1-to-1/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter[/quote
The Ex CBN Governor, Charles Soludo wanted to bring out this policy but the policy was rejected by the Senate.. the issue here is that a lot of people will keep there money themselves and not at the bank till the policy is implement.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by lanre77(m): 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2015
I concur,PMB is on course
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2015
Bollinger:

This does not make any sense. There are only four ways to stabilize the Naira;

1. Stop the over dependence on oil as the main source of revenue.

2. Gather a credible database of it's citizens and begin to tax them equitably and using those funds judiciously. This is what other normal successful countries do.

3. Empower domestic production. Of what use is pegging the highest denomination to 50N when you cannot find goods to buy. You'll still be spending the same amount you are spending now. I didn't make this up. The rules of supply and demand did.

4. Change your mentality as a nation. All this points won't work if you insist on keeping the mentality that got you all in this mess you are in.
you are right.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by Favolly(f): 12:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
Lol! For your mind now, you don solve econometrics abi? cheesy

Please go and educate yourself more about the difference between the nominal value and the real value of money
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 12:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
bigtt76:
Exactly my thoughts too. Soludo wanted to do same back then but his explanations to the Senators bamboozed them into thinking they would be poorer after the process. Ghana did the same and were a bit better for it if not for low forex inflows later on.

The main reason why people use forex for local transactions was becos the ease with which you can pocket millions without garnering looks around you. It may have saved us this moment if managed correctly.

As its going now, when the dollar finally hits N500, the redecimalization would take place with the New N5 naira note being the equivalent of the dollar. It would also mean all goods sold for N5 naira currently would become worth the new 50kobo. Needs a lot of enlightenment though to accomplish undecided but that seem to be the only way out. I see it coming 2016.

spot-on!

Again, I think , the yaradua administration then wasnt also in support of the plan then, but the senators made it worse out of their ignorance.

It seems to have worked in Ghana under Attah Mills, but it's causing a lot of setbacks under john cos it's not being managed properly.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by micca: 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
cruzita:
stop dreaming .it won't happen and if it will not under this toddler on that seat.
pmb is only person that can do something in nigeria and he did nt do anythin and he lest upon d whole mouth he made naija d God hand 4 change
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by micca: 12:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
cruzita:
stop dreaming .it won't happen and if it will not under this toddler on that seat.
pmb is d only person that can do something in nigeria and if he did nt do anythin and he left upon d whole mouth he made naija d God hand 4 change
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by emmygzy(m): 12:42pm On Dec 30, 2015
LivingDiamond:
After reading the Op's Article, All i can say is that "Even though it might be hard for man, but wth God, All things are possible "
it can't happen in naija. Soludo wanted to try it. The politicians we're against it. You wan turn billionaire to millionaire ni ke. Dem no go gree

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by emmygzy(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:
it can't happen and n naija. You wan then billionaire to millionaire and millionaires to thousandnaire. Our politicians no go gree.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by olutunde12(m): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2015
coldsummer:
You are being deliberately silly

Hey! Which school did he attend?

Re-decimalization will destroy the naira. When Charles Soludo attempted it why did Obasanjo reject it? Or you think you are the only one who knows about this?
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by jstriker442(m): 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:
but it actually doesnt change anything, except u want to broaden the meaning of $1=#1
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by zinnyprecy(f): 1:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
We prayooooooo
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 1:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
emmygzy:
it can't happen and n naija. You wan then billionaire to millionaire and millionaires to thousandnaire. Our politicians no go gree.
that was how our senators frustrated the move when soludo came up with it.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by abiambo(m): 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
Is there any fact in what the op wrote?? That by removing 2 zeros from our curency... y no remove 3 so 1 naira can be 10 dollars so the gullible like u can keep dreaming... SMH for the school yu went to... better ask ghanians hw far?
BALLOSKI:

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 1:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
jstriker442:
but it actually doesnt change anything, except u want to broaden the meaning of $1=#1
it's there in the article. If we are able to stabilize the naira to make 100 naira =$1 , then we can take away two zeros by reviewing our currency profile- it means you have redecimalized it.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by nairamaniac: 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:

with all your big big unnecessary English, one can't counter your in comprehendible article.

I however knew how silly you are as soon as you ended your article with "redecimalization".

if you wanna make sense, break down your article to layman's understanding and not to an economist-guru-wanna-be that you are not.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by jstriker442(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:
it's there in the article. If we are able to stabilize the naira to make 100 naira =$1 , then we can take away two zeros by reviewing our currency profile- it means you have redecimalized it.
no offence meant, bro it makes no sense
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by jstriker442(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
nairamaniac:

with all your big big unnecessary English, one can't counter your in comprehendible article.

I however knew how silly you are as soon as you ended your article with "redecimalization".

if you wanna make sencez break down your article to layman's understanding and not to an economist-guru-wanna-be that you are not.
charlatan is the word
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by Amucha: 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
SO SOMEONE THAT COLLECTS 5000 naira MONTHLY SALARY NOW WILL BE PAID HOW MUCH? OP do the arithmetic.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by erico2k2(m): 1:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:
It is plain silly only people with no social know bow will engage with the OP.you want us to round up the naira like the Ghana s did?anyway I dnt hav e time for silly debates.
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by 900warriorz: 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2015
BALLOSKI:

http://www.theheraldng.com/how-buhari-can-achieve-n1-to-1/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

i partially agree with you coz i also carried out my own research and some of my findingz were:

- To stablilize naira, we have to first reduce out highest denomination from #1000 to at most #200. Haba now, we have ATMz, POS available almost everywhere, Phone transactionz, and we are running a cashless economy, whatz the need of a thousand naira note again? One madt man wan con bring #5k note....#5k gbaku ogu grin

- if the government can harness all the economic resources we have, and put them into efficient use, nigeriaz economy will sky-rocket to the top. We have coalz, virginz landz (in large acres), gold, steel and many other resources....why concentrate on petroleum alone? Agriculture made us the giant of africa....why abandon it now?

- no one wantz to go into full-time agriculture but if government can subsidize the sector by giving scholarshipz to youthz to study agriculture in tertiary institutionz, people will volunteer to study agric...which in turn, gives admission to alot of admission seeking youthz thereby making them active in enhancing economic productivity.

- money being pumped into several irrelevant projectz can be used to develop the economy coz i see no reason why #496 billion naira should go into car funding for the house of repz and senate. That money will improve the standard of living of many nigerianz. Who sayz therez no light in nigeria? Have you asked what capitalism has done in that sector? Therez light in naija ooo! We supply part of benin republic and they have light there 24/7.....importerz of generatorz know that if we have constant power supply, they would have no target market and thatz why they came to termz with the government to cease power supply in nigeria.....no go jonze o oo! grin

I rest my case hear.....only God can touch the heartz of our leaderz to the the right thingz....funny enough, they know all these thingz but they dont wanna do them. God help us! One nigeria!!!!
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by damimola(m): 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
am not an economist,all i know Ghana tried it and now where are they?
I think the issue is not shifting the zero or making $1=N1 , we should bring the whole world to Nigeria,let foreigners come and buy our creativity and innovations in Naira and let our currency be what is sort for.
Summary: lets leave crude oil and venture in to other things, palm oil,coconut oil,coal,groundnut, steel, mining,processed foods,education,medicine etc
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by krisendee(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
Guessing you're smarter undecided. Please counter intelligently.
coldsummer:
You are being deliberately silly
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by yjgm(m): 2:43pm On Dec 30, 2015
justmenoni:
Lol why u come go quote me grin grin

See fear o. Na so u de fear lalasticlala?
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by justmenoni: 2:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
No mind me oooo Mods for nairaland these days get skushi for head pass naked mad man for highway

quote author=yjgm post=41485438]

See fear o. Na so u de fear lalasticlala?[/quote]
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by BALLOSKI: 2:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
jstriker442:
no offence meant, bro it makes no sense
ok
Re: How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 by Armstrong34(m): 2:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
Spendin Manager take note !!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Made N5.6 Million In 3-years - Donald Duke Tells INEC / Sudan War: How We Negotiated $1.2m To Hire Buses — FG / Obasanjo Denies Endorsing Igbo Presidency In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.