Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience (1109 Views)

See The Grammatical Blunder Of The Nigerian Police Force / The Mace: A Weapon Of Power / My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by Excelboi(m): 5:17pm On Dec 29, 2015
There was a serious scuffle over land between Share town and Tsaragi, two neighbouring towns in Kwara state with just a narrow road separating them. The fight happened almost two weeks ago which led to the deployment of police and soldiers to the towns with curfew imposed.

It all happened on Sunday morning around 8am when I was coming back from a wedding occasion in my hometown, Lafiagi in kwara state also which is about 1hr 30mins away from Ilorin, the state capital. I was driving in a car with my parent and my sisters when the incident I was about to narrate happened. I got to tsaragi where I saw soldiers at check points asking me where I was going to, I told them I was going to Ilorin, and they allowed me to go. On getting to Share, I saw the town very quiet with about 20 police vans on the road arresting people randomly even to the extent to barging into people's home arresting for no significant reason. Unknown to me, there was curfew imposed from 9am - 3pm daily.
At first, I parked at a side along with some 3 other vehicles watching all through what the police men where doing. After about 10mins, two cars start moving gradually with the hope that we would be allow to pass. I followed them, and on reaching close to them, they asked us to park and asked every driver of each car to come out and sit on the floor. later we were asked to stand up and do some frog jumping up to to the point where there vans was. They kicked me at a point and was bundled into the van along with two other guys. My mum was even begging for my release but they were adamant on taking me along with them. The vans started moving in groups and arresting people along the way, both old and young even as old as 80yrs old men were arrested. Some people even left there cars and property exposed and risk to theft. in short, we were taken to Ilorin like that which is about 40mins away from the point of our arrest.

On getting to Ilorin, we were taken to the State CID office and we were ask to come down and sit on the floors were we were counted and our names written. Our mobile phones were seized and we were put in a cell and locked up. After sometimes, we were called on after the other, our shoes,undies,inner wears and even our money were seized and were booked as suspect. I start to get worried if the matter we were arrested for warrants all this. Everyone was asked to write his statement and we were all interrogated. infact, everyone arrested was interrogated orally and they asked me if I didn't know there was curfew in the town, I told them I was not aware.

For several hours, we were in the cell waiting for what will happen next. To make matters worse, over 70 of us were moved from the initial cell to a more degrading cell with little or no ventilation and a very dirty toilet, and locked up with other suspects who were there before us. in total, we were about 90 in number in such a poor environment.

Even my breakfast of that day, I didn't eat not until my mum brought food for me to eat. My dad was even running helter skelter on how to get my bail. As a law student my self in my final year, all what was happening was a breach of our fundamental human right as we have done no crime to deserve such treatment. Do you know about 15 of us had to pay #1000 naira to sleep in the first cell where we were first locked up, as it was a little convenient than the other cell were all of us were locked up, those who couldn't afford it were left in the cell. Nairalanders, even a pig don't deserve to live on that cell. I couldn't even sleep throughout the night as I was exhausted and very angry for the treatment been melted at me. Old men and even an oba of a town was also locked up. My God, policemen are so heartless and useless.... in short, I later bailed myself the next day upon extortions collected earlier by those useless individuals called police. And they said bail is free. #7000 was paid for my bail, #1000 paid at the counter for releasing my property. All this for an offence I didn't commit. I was intending to sue them for this but I don't think I will any longer, only God knows the fate of those still in the cell.... Lawyers in the house, what do you think? nairalanders, who has experienced this kind of humiliation before?

cc: lalasticlala

*sorry for the long post.... I couldn't short it any better than this.
Re: Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by 20bc(m): 5:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Welcome to Nigeria....... cool
Re: Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by staggerman(m): 10:37pm On Dec 29, 2015
Is the Inspector General still in charge of the police, or are these guys above his authority?

I remember they said bail is free. But we all know, they were just joking. Pretending to the media that all is well, while they continue their corrupt activities everywhere.
Re: Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by Trottle: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2015
And they said "the police is your friend". thats why some don't take pity on them when they are assaulted.
Re: Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by Obijulius: 1:57am On Jan 06, 2016
My brother in that country every man is his own government. Just chill and play the good citizen.

I can assure one day you will have your opportunity to pay back a policeman, please don't spare anything even his life...just useless him in such a way that he will never be able to pay you back.

Welcome to the great zoo...na dog eat dog. The day I see any member of our forces army, police, DSS, etc in Yankee na that one go bad pass.
Re: Nigerian Police And Their Abuse Of Power: My Nasty Experience by Ricmayak1: 7:42am On Jan 07, 2016
We won't see comments on this issue that concerns us and our country except its about celebrities, snakes, cleavage and so on. It's a pity!

(1) (Reply)

How Does A Business Remain Relevant In Ever Evolving Digital World? / Photo: Shocking See What This Hausa Brought With Him For MTN Registration / Some Traffic Tips To help, during the Lagos Marathon on the 6th of February.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.