Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? (22254 Views)

What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / What Is The Meaning Of ACCEPTANCE FEE In Nigerian Higher Institutions...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by bossto(m): 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:

Pidgin is a language of the conquered people, mentally and culturally conquered people.

It makes us stuuupid.
NO..it makes you stupid!!!...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by PencilBox: 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2015
Adex097:
Who English help!! here in Uniben, we eat and chew pidgin. if care is not taken, we fit vex write ham for exam and still make an A. grin
:-/ liar! I REP UNIBEN. pidgin ain't rapant here Mr. Dat's an hoax!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Chukazu: 3:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
and what is special about English language? people should feel free to express themselves in whatever language they dim fit.

infact, recently I heard on the BBC, that pidgin English will soon become an official language across many west Africa n countries. so it's a force that no one can stop

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Etizz: 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
OP go to Russia, Japan, China and other big developed countries and tell me what they speak in their country......

Do u think we are supposed be speaking English in naija?? Why would u think who speak pidgin is not responsible enough...

Do u know if a student teach me with pidgin (tutorials), I understand more Dan a teacher who teach with English?

Mehn pidgin as u see it is our language and accepted very well.......

Just add more language to yourself for your own benefit..
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by tevinsolt: 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
You're very wrong for this.
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still habve the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

Don't try to tarnish the images of my Naija guys.
You think Americans speak good English ??
You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.

Why are you lying though....at best a Nigerian speaking is similar to an Indian speaking good English but still speaks with an accent, which is sometimes hard to understand...... Majority of Nigerians sucks at speaking English, when they speak it sounds forced.....and yes Americans speak good English, same way Australians and Canadians do even though the accents slightly differ. But the rules of pronunciation is pretty much the same. what you described up there are black Americans from poor neighborhoods.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
adepeter26:

From your own perspective?
Language and the mind are interconnected.
The complexity of a language correlates with the complexity of the mind.

A rich language nurtures a rich mind, which nurtures a rich culture.

Conversely, a fragmented language does exactly the same.
It produces a fragmented mind, which nurtures a fragmented sub-culture.

This is well known.

Archeologists and anthropologists usually look at the complexity, or paucity, of a given language to determine the level intellectual sophistication and advancement of a people.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Adeevah(m): 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Na Nairaland cause am...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Chukazu: 3:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
cold:

Your whole grammatical construction is too pedestrian. Too Nigerian-ish. You don't have the clout to criticise the inadequacies of others. In any event,if you must,you need to ensure all your Ts are crossed and your Is dotted. Just saying.

I think he should as well consider using pidgin English also.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by PencilBox: 3:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
cold:

Your whole grammatical construction is too pedestrian. Too Nigerian-ish. You don't have the clout to criticise the inadequacies of others. In any event,if you must,you need to ensure all your Ts are crossed and your Is dotted. Just saying.
100% well said! 2 kolas 4 u bro. + 1 shaving stick(BiC) grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2015
bossto:
NO..it makes you stupid!!!...

Lol.
Bravo, for articulating a coherent thought.
I wonder why you didn't choose to express yourself in pidgin.

angry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by tdayof(m): 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2015
This pidgin thing is all over. The easiest way to identify a Nigerian in my school is pidgin angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by tevinsolt: 3:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
Etizz:
OP go to Russia, Japan, China and other big developed countries and tell me what they speak in their country......

Do u think we are supposed be speaking English in naija?? Why would u think who speak pidgin is not responsible enough...

Do u know if a student teach me with pidgin (tutorials), I understand more Dan a teacher who teach with English?

Mehn pidgin as u see it is our language and accepted very well.......

Just add more language to yourself for your own benefit..

It is mediocrity. Pidgin is not a native Language is it? China or Japan don't have numerous cultures within their borders do they? If you can't understand English it is OK, just don't use it to justify speaking pidgin ( the broken form of the language). It shows laziness and mediocrity especially if you went to school in a country like Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by timmyblast(m): 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
pidgin is the most correct way to communicate here in Nigeria, everybody understands pidgin while few could be said for english. 3 d english teacher with 3 different views of the language. I am for PIDGIN as our official language. Naso I see am!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Arebay(m): 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2015
As e b sey u sabi oyinbo na em make u dey scatta yarn 4 here ,,,make vigilantay 4 mah area cash u ,,na dt tym u go sabi pidgin..

Pidgin just makes it easier to xpress oneself..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Chukazu: 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
tevinsolt:

Why are you lying though....at best a Nigerian speaking is similar to an Indian speaking good English but still speaks with an accent, which is sometimes hard to understand...... Majority of Nigerians sucks at speaking English, when they speak it sounds forced.....and yes Americans speak good English, same way Australians and Canadians do even though the accents slightly differ. But the rules of pronunciation is pretty much the same. what you described up there are black Americans from poor neighborhoods.

I totally disagree with your statement that Indians an Americans speak perfect English. there's no English speaking nation that speaks "perfect "English in its "perfection "
they all have their own indigenous form of speaking. the reason we have "American(not just about accent, even in meaning) English, Australian English, Canadian English, even the Irish have their's, so why can't we have Nigerian English?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2015
martineverest:
U must be a fool for calling pidgin a language for illiterate.i went to uniben, where pidgin English is the most widely spoken language. We sometimes interact with pidgin with our lecturers. What will say to students that speak their native languages in universities? Pidgin is also a native language of 'bendel' people. Low self esteem Dey worry op.... Pidgin English our own brand of English.

Lol.

As you speak, so you think

A patch patch language produces patch patch thinking.

Are you surprised why Nigerian graduates are rated very low within Nigeria, Africa and the world?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by moscyt(m): 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
Pidgin is an easy way of communicating, it is widely spoken even among those people that doesn't not even speak english. You won't appreciate pidgin enough until you hear jamaican speak patois "refined pidgin" grin
habeeblai244:

Pidgin is an easy way of communicating, it is widely spoken even among those people that doesn't not even speak english. You won't appreciate pidgin enough until you hear jamaican speak patois "refined pidgin"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by mabababida: 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
Pidgin blends better with our local languages and less complicated. For instance, you don't need the intrigues of differentiating between 'her' and 'him'. All you need is 'am' in a sentence like this "tell am" instead of "tell him or tell her"

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Chukazu: 3:42pm On Dec 30, 2015
tevinsolt:

It is mediocrity. Pidgin is not a native Language is it? China or Japan don't have numerous cultures within their borders do they? If you can't understand English it is OK, just don't use it to justify speaking pidgin ( the broken form of the language). It shows laziness and mediocrity especially if you went to school in a country like Nigeria.

It's totally wrong for you to compare Nigeria with Japan and China, those are homogeneous societies with one culture, one language, one nation, one destiny, can you say the same of nigeria, 250 ethnic groups and diverse languages? how do you relate to those whose language you don't understand?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aprilwise(m): 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2015
Schools in north students do communicate with hausa.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
omooba969:
Being used to speaking pidgin always harms your english grammar & composition.

Simple. cool

e be like sey na A1 plus you get for English Language for the American GCE u write that year o.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by chukxie(m): 3:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.

The writer was wondering why some students in our higher institutions of leaning would prefer speaking 'pidgin' English as opposed to speaking standard English. I think his observation is laudable. These days, it's not uncommon to find graduates who can't string two simple sentences together or converse fluently in standard English.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Milo30(m): 3:54pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years AT LEAST can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speakS pidgin,(replace comma with fullstop or 'and') when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse(missing 's'/inproper use(...THE lame excuse)) that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English(Hahahaha). Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

Learning English for ten years hasn't made much of a difference for you either (no offense meant). In this part of the world English is considered a formal language, hence informal situations don't necessarily require it for communication. Peace!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
Same reason Chinese speak Mandarin in Universities. Same reason German is spoken in their universities. Arabs speak Arabic. Etc. Pidgin is our own it should be made Official.

Here in France were I live we called people who ask this questions House Nigahs(in Malcolm X voice)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by omooba969(m): 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
DBriteLitehouse:

e be like sey na A1 plus you get for English Language for the American GCE u write that year o.

I speak pidgin too but I believe in doing things in moderation. smiley

University/higher institution environment ought to be sacrosanct. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by onoja12: 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
you are bothered because of slave mentality,rather you should be more worried of why,a Nigerian can not speak any Nigerian language but rather English. do the English speak your language?

habeeblai244:

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Milo30(m): 4:00pm On Dec 30, 2015
Chukazu:

I totally disagree with your statement that Indians an Americans speak perfect English. there's no English speaking nation that speaks "perfect "English in its "perfection "
they all have their own indigenous form of speaking. the reason we have "American(not just about accent, even in meaning) English, Australian English, Canadian English, even the Irish have their's, so why can't we have Nigerian English?

Someone should give this guy a Nobel prize in Structured argument.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by ngona(f): 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:

They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

My brother ask the maga oo! Shuuur! As a matter fact the pigin is still English, just a reduce form of English language. If u try us, we sale u with English language collect change in ur very b4 and u no go no.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Milo30(m): 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2015
tevinsolt:

Nope. I disagree. 'White' Americans use "wanna" and "gonna" a lot. Their slangs have also become legit words as well. I believe languages are tools people use in communication. You don't use a scissors where a hammer is required.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2015
feran15:
they are allowed to speak any language they want.

you gan have problem with English you have been doing for 10 years.
no mind d guy,, lyk say e compulsory 2 speak english,,
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Milo30(m): 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
PencilBox:
:-/ liar! I REP UNIBEN. pidgin ain't rapant here Mr. Dat's an hoax!

AN hoax right? Well done.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Bluffly: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:

Can't speak or won't speak

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayemi Sacks EKSU VC, Others / 12-Year-Old Rishe Gnanasekaran Wins National Mathematics Competition / 5 Excuses Students Give To Their Parents When They Fail Their Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.