Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? (12931 Views)

Can One Really Make It In Life With FOREX / Can One Really Trade FOREX And Commodities Profitably / Can One Really Make Money With Betonmarkets In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by jumie(f): 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2009
I need some frank advise about this issue.

I have been very much interested in the fashion business for a long time. I dream of owning a fashion house and having my own label. I went ahead to invest my time (running into years), resources and energy into going for trainings in fashion designing. I have long since completed the program, and have fine designing and sewing skills, making clothes for friends and people in general. However, the only snag is that everyone even family say, there is no future in designing and its better to get a white collar job, etc. How can I make them believe otherwise?

Only sincere advise is needed.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2009
My guy, never listen to such people.
You need to believe in yourself and cut for yourself clientelle.
Display some of your design here.
Talk to some people that are in that business and they might be able to give you some constructive ideas.
Be patient, cos investment don't bring returns immediately.
Good luck and i am sure there are money in that biz.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by ifyalways(f): 9:09pm On Jun 12, 2009
Yes peeps are making it reaaaaaaaaaaal big time in fashion desiging.here are some tips:
mix and meet people.eg,weddings,birthdays,parties.
design and wear ur products.mkt urself any and everywhere u go.
U can even post some of ur designs here in NL. wink
location matters. . .lagos,Abuja,Portharcourt are hotcakes.
U dont need to rent an office b4 u take off,u can start from ur house.
Be creative and make unique designs.
all da best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by feasy1(m): 10:10pm On Jun 15, 2009
Jumie, I cant but reply to your post. You've got to believe in yourself and follow your dream, be creative and like you've been advised leverage on the internet to showcase your product, if you are of the entrepreneurial mind know that even if you make 1million naira per month from the white collar job, you wont still be fulfilled until you pursue your dream.

Start posting your work and might pick some for my wife
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by stillsmall(f): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2009
jumie do u knw of anywhere in abj i can go for sewing lessons like a fashion school?
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by argent(f): 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
It is possible to have a bright future in fashion designing.
First of all believe in yourself and make your dreams come true, dont allow people to discourage you and also have a target market (this will actually help you to stay focused).
In addition be creative, dont disappoint your customers, be willing to go extra miles, keep abreast of what is happening in the fashion world so you can ahead of your competitors.
Start advertising by wearing your clothes, post some pictures here and offer to sew for your family members too.

1 Like

Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 23, 2009
Do not listen to anyone who tells you you can't make it. Even if it's your own mother.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by alldone(m): 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2009
hey,
if you have invested in training, then you can make it.
You don't need to convince friends and relative, convince yourself and you are there.

You have what it takes to be the best just set out and fulfill your dream.
Be dedicated to your work, sincere and showcase what you are doing to the world.
watch a video on how to create a blog here using free blog for a start : www.blogging2profit..com

I will also advise you to have a business plan for your business and give it time.

cheers!
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by fuke(m): 6:26pm On Jun 24, 2009
Follow your mind. Advice are the cheapest commodity and in ,many cases they are worthless because they are given from the perspective of the giver. They have not seen what you saw. Only the deep can call to the deep. Now the tips given so far are ok but i want to add a couple. First, find a celebrity to clothe, for example a musician. an actor of repute and cloth him or her for free for a start. If you have a couple you are clothing and your designs are cute they will bring clientèle. You can not make money if you focus on people who cannot afford to sew a trouser for N1000. You need people who do not care to cut a shirt for N5000 and these are found in the top of the economic ladder. You best place of location is one of the cites Lagos, Abula, P Harcourt. Best of luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by OkraSoup1: 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2009
I like what people have said about maybe posting some of your designs on here.
I also suggest you look online and look up other famous Nigerian fashion designers that are successful and get some encouragement from them.
I'm very interested in fashion myself and will be doing a lot of research when I come to Nigeria within the next two weeks.
I'll be going all over Lagos and hopefully working with and learning as much as I can about up and coming designers that I can collaborate with while there and hopefully when I return to the states.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2009
//
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by jumie(f): 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2009
stillsmall:

jumie do u knw of anywhere in abj i can go for sewing lessons like a fashion school?

@stillsmall,

I don't know of anywhere in abj where you can learn to sew. However, you could simply look out for very good designers and approach them.

All da best!
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by jumie(f): 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2009
@ All,

Thanks for the positive replies. I am really encouraged.

I encourage more responses.

Thanks again!
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by chykeo(m): 2:19pm On Jun 25, 2009
Can one really make money from fashion designing?

Well    Valentino
          Dolce and Gabbana
          Giorgio Armani
          Yves St Laurent
          Gucci
          Rocco Barrocco
          Fendi
          7Camicie
          Hugo Boss

And many many many more designers. Most were just tailors, shoemaker and now they are fashion designers.

Think globally, Act locally. The world will find a beaten path to your door steps.

Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? Interesting question

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nezan(m): 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2009
I think the Nigerian fashion industry is gradually coming of age. My candid advise is that you can start small and grow up depending on the patronage you are receiving. If all goes well, you may even reject white collar jobs that may come your way. An office colleague of mine was combining the two initially but had to drop her white collar job to concentrate fully on designing. Cheers as you decide on which course to follow.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by utotomi8(m): 7:52pm On Jun 25, 2009
Not in Nigeria. In Nigeria, fashion designers are called tailors.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 25, 2009
Whether Fashion designers are called tailors in Nigeria or not?, the main issue is how good,creative and accessible are your designs and works. Some fashion designers in Lagos are making it big time, because they've learnt to perfect their skills in designing, creating ,advertising and socializing. Rome is trly not built in a day, as the days goes by and you work on these issues have mentioned,your skill will get noticed by right people that appreciate your works.
  I am a fashion designer, i started 2yrs ago, i got a strategic location in Lagos for my works. As soon as i finished my fashion training, i wasnt laid back , i continued working on my creativity, styling ,designing and finishing even till now and i will humbly say that a well known magazine picked my designs out from my website and wanted to interview me,they contacted me, i was interviewd and show cased in ther magazine and also a magazine abroad, also came across my website with my designs online and asked for an interview online, which i was too glad to oblige.
Uptill now, am still working on my skills and making money alongside. I stay in tune with whats trendy and what people desire to wear. Its all about loving what you do and bring out the best out of it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by slimfine(f): 11:30pm On Jun 25, 2009
trendsvivi:

Whether Fashion designers are called tailors in Nigeria or not?, the main issue is how good,creative and accessible are your designs and works. Some fashion designers in Lagos are making it big time, because they've learnt to perfect their skills in designing, creating ,advertising and socializing. Rome is trly not built in a day, as the days goes by and you work on these issues have mentioned,your skill will get noticed by right people that appreciate your works.
  I am a fashion designer, i started 2yrs ago, i got a strategic location in Lagos for my works. As soon as i finished my fashion training, i wasnt laid back , i continued working on my creativity, styling ,designing and finishing even till now and i will humbly say that a well known magazine picked my designs out from my website and wanted to interview me,they contacted me, i was interviewd and show cased in ther magazine and also a magazine abroad, also came across my website with my designs online and asked for an interview online, which i was too glad to oblige.
Uptill now, am still working on my skills and making money alongside. I stay in tune with whats trendy and what people desire to wear. Its all about loving what you do and bring out the best out of it.

so what is your website so that we can testify grin
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nezan(m): 10:27am On Jun 26, 2009
slimfine:

so what is your website so that we can testify grin
on a serious note, post ur website so we can see.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by JJYOU: 11:07am On Jun 26, 2009
yes you can but you have to be unique.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by ifyalways(f): 11:11am On Jun 26, 2009
utotomi8:

Not in Nigeria. In Nigeria, fashion designers are called tailors.
Go call zizi cardow(sp) et others "tailors" and see if ur lips wont be twisted. cheesy
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by jumie(f): 1:07pm On Jun 26, 2009
@ Trendsvivi,

Thanks for the advice. May I know where you are based? I mean your business address and website too.

thanks
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by captured(f): 2:50pm On Jun 26, 2009
If you are confident of your works, then exhibitt, get into pageants etc. I am into arts and had the same issues with just about everyone but as of today, they are all proud and boast that i made a break as an creative person that did not take a whilte collar job
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 26, 2009
@ JUMIE---105 IKORODU ROAD, FADEYI BUS STOP. You can come over to my office and i will give you series of reason why you should hang onto your skill, if what i have just said above is not enough reason. If you love fashion designing , follow it passionately and the rewards will troop in before you know it. You dont have to convince anyone to believe in your works, believe in it yourself and people will see it through your own eyes.

I'm making it in fashion designing and loving everybit of it.To be  a sucess in life is not easy, it takes BELIEF IN GOD, IN YOUR SELF, DEDICATION AND DILIGENCE  TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Dont let family or friends derail you, go for it and believe in yourself that you can make it , work towards it and you definitly will,  the choice is yours to choose, peace.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2009
@ JUMIE---105 IKORODU ROAD, FADEYI BUS STOP. You can come over to my office and i will give you series of reason why you should hang onto your skill, if what i have just said above is not enough reason. If you love fashion designing , follow it passionately and the rewards will troop in before you know it. You dont have to convince anyone to believe in your works, believe in it yourself and people will see it through your own eyes.

I'm making it in fashion designing and loving everybit of it.To be a sucess in life is not easy, it takes BELIEF IN GOD, IN YOUR SELF, DEDICATION AND DILIGENCE TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Dont let family or friends derail you, go for it and believe in yourself that you can make it , work towards it and you definitly will, the choice is yours to choose, peace.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by stagger: 6:54am On Jun 27, 2009
jumie:

@stillsmall,

I don't know of anywhere in abj where you can learn to sew. However, you could simply look out for very good designers and approach them.

All da best!

I've followed this thread with very keen interest. well, i live in abuja and to stillsmall, i would give this answer.

Are you interested in actually sewing because you want to know how to sew, or are you interested in it for business reasons? if it for business, then i can teach you how to prepare designs using computer-aided design software.

Sewing with patterns is the technology used abroad by all designers. The software is used to generate the patterns using the customer's sizes, and then the pattern is printed out and cut, ensuring that when the seams are joined together, you get a perfect fit for the customer.

We can arrange to meet thereafter.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by arogbowei: 12:08am On Jun 29, 2009
follow your dream, no fear di thing pay well well
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by jumie(f): 11:08am On Jun 29, 2009
@Trendsvivi,

Thanks a lot!
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by Nezan(m): 12:37pm On Jun 29, 2009
arogbowei:

follow your dream, no fear di thing pay well well
True cool
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by itumama: 12:47pm On Jun 29, 2009
Never mind anybody.Go for your heart desire,acheive your aim and objectives,dont be discourage by peoples advice.Have they prepare any white collars job for you? or they want you to wait till the end of the month before you get yr financial needs.
Re: Can One Really Make Money From Fashion Designing? by geerufus(m): 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2009
@ STAGGER,
Pls I'm so much interested in this Pattern designing Software.
How do i get it from u or wherever? Are u charging, and what is your cost?
I stay in Lagos o.

@ JUMIE
Try TRENDSVIVI, she's quite good. Her fashion school is about the best now in Lagos, in terms of cost, conducive, relaxed and friendly learning environment.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Reliable Forex Broker In Nigeria. / Over 2,000 Nigerians Receive Startup Funds From Consummate Traders - Ishaku / Ease Of Doing Business: World Bank Group Rates Enugu State 2nd In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.