Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,298 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Who Can Recognize This Plant? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Who Can Recognize This Plant? (6617 Views)

An 'ewedu' Plant That Is Almost Twice The Height Of An Average Female Being. / Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant / Do You Know This Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Recognize This Plant? by FarmTech(m): 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please who knows the name of the plant below?

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by TunjiMsp: 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2015
In Yoruba language, it's called ewe ejirin

1 Like

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by flosk: 12:19am On Dec 31, 2015
I don't think this is ejirin,because ejirin leaves are smaller than this.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by olerismith(m): 5:08pm On Dec 31, 2015
it is not ejinrin, ejirin is very small plant. though i have seen this plant around but i did not know the name
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by Piusuwaka: 5:30pm On Dec 31, 2015
wax gourd or bitter gourd
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by adexsimply(m): 12:21am On Jan 01, 2016
Cucurbits??
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by Ayoolu(m): 11:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
Don't know the name. Produces a cucumber like fruit. Also used as sponge. It should be of melon family.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by GlitzG: 12:36am On Jan 02, 2016
I think it's called "lare" by the yoruba pple
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by dgitrader(m): 11:15am On Jan 03, 2016
Ayoolu:
Don't know the name. Produces a cucumber like fruit. Also used as sponge. It should be of melon family.

best description so far!

farmtech, anything special about this "parasitic weed"?

Luffa – the common name is also luffa, sometimes spelled loofah (when fully ripened, two species of this fibrous fruit are the source of the loofah scrubbing sponge)
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by Curiouscity(m): 11:29am On Jan 03, 2016
Ayoolu:

Very correct description. Many homes in the villages use its sponge to wash. I also saw the sponge being sold is a dollar store when I was on holidays in Canada.
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by FarmTech(m): 11:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
Thanks for all the comments. I nearly miss my own post! Sorry for that.

The reason why i ask is bc I'm constantly on the lookout for medicinal plants for farm animals. Plants we can use to reduce our reliance on antibiotics. Thanks dgitrader, the name is loofa and they say it can be used to treat malaria, jaundice etc. As for applicatn to animals, I dont know yet.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by Gidigidi3(m): 12:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
In place of antibiotics, I use garlic, pawpaw leave, aloe vera, moringa leave nd guava leave. I grind them together sieve out the water and mix with the drinking water of my birds. Then soak the pulp in water and do same again the following day. I do this once a week, and they look agile and healthy. Got this info from this NL, I do broilers though.

2 Likes

Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by FarmTech(m): 8:47pm On Feb 06, 2016
Gidigidi3:
In place of antibiotics, I use garlic, pawpaw leave, aloe vera, moringa leave nd guava leave. I grind them together sieve out the water and mix with the drinking water of my birds. Then soak the pulp in water and do same again the following day. I do this once a week, and they look agile and healthy. Got this info from this NL, I do broilers though.
Great idea. I like moringa but i don't have free access to it in my area. I'll plant some soon.
Re: Who Can Recognize This Plant? by eddyline(m): 4:21am On Sep 10, 2016
Gidigidi3:
I like this your combo drug. my question however is what quantity of each plant do you require for say 100birds?

(1) (Reply)

Price Of Food Items On A continuous Rise - NBS / Poultry Cage, Layer Battery Cage, Poultry Farm Equipment / Farms Machines And Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.