Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,258 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. (6248 Views)

Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Nairaland Pig Farmers Host Free Pork Tasting Party / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2020
I will like to use this platform to educate and help young pig farmers solve problems the might be encountering on there various farms. Please do feel free to ask you questions, I won't be charging any fee for this service for this is the only way I can give back to the pork industry after much years of vast knowledge gained.

Pig farming is the most lucrative livestock farming if you rear the right breeds of pigs. This are breeds that have been genetically improved to meet the demand of commercial pig farming, for better feed conversion rate and sows produce large litter of piglets per farrow averaging 10 piglets twice/ thrice a year.

I look forward at receiving you questions and discussions soon.

[[b][/b]PigBarn

PigBarn is a pig farm located in Nigeria, we farm 100% pure breeds of landrace, large white and Durocs only.

At PigBarn we sell formulated feeds for Weaners, grows, finishers and lactating sows.

At PigBarn we sell pig feed formulas for very affordable prices.

At PigBarn we sell soyabeans meal for the preparations of all animal feeds at any quantity of your order.

At PigBarn we sell weaners, growers, and gilts of large white, landrace and Duroc.

At PigBarn we design and construct Pig Barns of all materials and style to fit you budget appropriately.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Sunday66: 7:38pm On Mar 03, 2020
Pls how much will it cost me to raise 50 good breed to market size.thanks
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 8:07pm On Mar 03, 2020
Sunday66:
Pls how much will it cost me to raise 50 good breed to market size.thanks

It all depends the size of the pig u intend to buy and raise but I will advice u go for growers that's 3 old month old pigs. With a budget of 300 thousand naira for vaccination and feeds you will able to feed 50 pigs to market size. This amount is for feeds with soybeans, maize, Rice bran and cassava content, rich in protein and carbohydrates.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Sunday66: 8:15pm On Mar 03, 2020
Pls how is the cost of growers.thanks
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:31pm On Mar 03, 2020
Sunday66:
Pls how is the cost of growers.thanks
Your average budget for a 100% pure breed largewhite or land race should be btw 45-55000 depending on the farm you buying from , durocs cost higher
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by whyom09: 5:37am On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

Your average budget for a 100% pure breed largewhite or land race should be btw 45-55000 depending on the farm you buying from , durocs cost higher
PLS. AT HOW MANY MONTHS DO YOU SAY A PIG IS A WEANER AND GROWER RESPECTIVELY?

PLS. CAN YOU EQUALLY POST PICTURES OF WEANERS AND GROWERS TO HAVE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE 2 TERMINOLOGIES. THANKS.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Juliana7: 7:17am On Mar 04, 2020
@op, pls when is the right time to mate a gilt to have large quantity of piglet. The sign and what to avoid. Thanks
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by zeestone99(m): 8:09am On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

It all depends the size of the pig u intend to buy and raise but I will advice u go for growers that's 3 old month old pigs. With a budget of 300 thousand naira for vaccination and feeds you will able to feed 50 pigs to market size. This amount is for feeds with soybeans, maize, Rice bran and cassava content, rich in protein and carbohydrates.

How sure are you that 300k can feed 50 pigs till market weight.

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 8:23am On Mar 04, 2020
zeestone99:

How sure are you that 300k can feed 50 pigs till market weight.
Minimal Budget.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:14am On Mar 04, 2020
Juliana7:
@op, pls when is the right time to mate a gilt to have large quantity of piglet. The sign and what to avoid. Thanks
A gilt comes at heat properly at 6months, normal I advice gilt should be crossed at 7month at the stage the reproductive system is well formed and strong enough to farrow large litter of piglets.
A gilts ability to give birth to large number of piglets also depends on some factors like:

Its good to buy gilts from farms that keep good records of there pigs, so as to know if the mother of the gilt you buying farrowed much piglets. If it does not farrow an average of 10 piglets each time it gives birth then you buying a bad gilt, it won't farrow much piglets.

You should ensure you count the number of nipples on the gilt stomach you buying, it shouldn't be less than 14.

The boar plays a very important role when it comes to mating of a gilt. Serve your gilt a boar that is not too heavy and not too temperamental, since that's going to be her first time. A boar that is too heavy and too temperamental won't be comfortable for the gilt and this may cause little penetration and low semen intake by the gilt reducing the chances of it having much piglets.

Ensure you take the gilt to the pen of the boar, to avoid distraction for fight of dominance. The boar feels more comfortable when his been served and won't spend time trying to explore its new environment.

Ensure the boar mating the gilt its not been exposed to the sun to avoid sperm weakness in the boar.

The floor of the pig pen shouldn't be slippery to avoid the boar from sliding away when it climbs the gilt.

Signs:
When a gilt or a sow comes on heat the vulva of the gilts swells out, it becomes pink red in colour for 2-7 days maximum within this days I advice the boar and gilt be left alone to sleep in same pen for 7 days or until she goes off heat.

There is also a heat stand check done on gilts by one standing behind the gilt and pressing his too hands on the gilts waist, if she is on heat she will stand still but if she's not she will walk away.

Note.
A gilt comes back on heat 21 days after counting from the last day of its last heat.

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:28am On Mar 04, 2020
whyom09:

PLS. AT HOW MANY MONTHS DO YOU SAY A PIG IS A WEANER AND GROWER RESPECTIVELY?

PLS. CAN YOU EQUALLY POST PICTURES OF WEANERS AND GROWERS TO HAVE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE 2 TERMINOLOGIES. THANKS.
A weaner is a piglet that has stopped taking breast milk and separated at 4 weeks old - 2 month old
A grower is pig of 2-4 months old

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by zeestone99(m): 9:28am On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

Minimal Budget.

Let's discuss
Call -08117398294
Chat - /2348117398294
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Juliana7: 12:53pm On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

A gilt comes at heat properly at 6months, normal I advice gilt should be crossed at 7month at the stage the reproductive system is well formed and strong enough to farrow large litter of piglets.
A gilts ability to give birth to large number of piglets also depends on some factors like:

Its good to buy gilts from farms that keep good records of there pigs, so as to know if the mother of the gilt you buying farrowed much piglets. If it does not farrow an average of 10 piglets each time it gives birth then you buying a bad gilt, it won't farrow much piglets.

You should ensure you count the number of nipples on the gilt stomach you buying, it shouldn't be less than 14.

The boar plays a very important role when it comes to mating of a gilt. Serve your gilt a boar that is not too heavy and not too temperamental, since that's going to be her first time. A boar that is too heavy and too temperamental won't be comfortable for the gilt and this may cause little penetration and low semen intake by the gilt reducing the chances of it having much piglets.

Ensure you take the gilt to the pen of the boar, to avoid distraction for fight of dominance. The boar feels more comfortable when his been served and won't spend time trying to explore its new environment.

Ensure the boar mating the gilt its not been exposed to the sun to avoid sperm weakness in the boar.

The floor of the pig pen shouldn't be slippery to avoid the boar from sliding away when it climbs the gilt.

Signs:
When a gilt or a sow comes on heat the vulva of the gilts swells out, it becomes pink red in colour for 2-7 days maximum within this days I advice the boar and gilt be left alone to sleep in same pen for 7 days or until she goes off heat.

There is also a heat stand check done on gilts by one standing behind the gilt and pressing his too hands on the gilts waist, if she is on heat she will stand still but if she's not she will walk away.

Note.
A gilt comes back on heat 21 days after counting from the last day of its last heat.

thanks op. You are awesome. Pls sir what about "flushing" for sow, so school of thought says give more protein another says give more energy food. 2. My second question is how do we prevent or guard against diarrhea for weaners. Thanks, God bless u

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by whyom09: 3:58pm On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

A weaner is a piglet that has stopped taking breast milk and separated at 4 weeks old - 2 month old
A grower is pig of 2-4 months old

THANKS FOR THE ENLIGHTENMENT.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by aisolae: 10:50pm On Mar 04, 2020
What's the cost of building a pig pen for 100 pigs and can you do it?

If yes, write the detail proposal and send it to aremu_abisoye@live.com.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by shoskid(m): 11:07pm On Mar 04, 2020
PigBarn:

I will like to use this platform to educate and help young pig farmers solve problems the might be encountering on there various farms. Please do feel free to ask you questions, I won't be charging any fee for this service for this is the only way I can give back to the pork industry after much years of vast knowledge gained.

Pig farming is the most lucrative livestock farming if you rear the right breeds of pigs. This are breeds that have been genetically improved to meet the demand of commercial pig farming, for better feed conversion rate and sows produce large litter of piglets per farrow averaging 10 piglets twice/ thrice a year.

I look forward at receiving you questions and discussions soon.

[[b][/b]PigBarn

PigBarn is a pig farm located in Nigeria, we farm 100% pure breeds of landrace, large white and Durocs only.

At PigBarn we sell formulated feeds for Weaners, grows, finishers and lactating sows.

At PigBarn we sell pig feed formulas for very affordable prices.

At PigBarn we sell soyabeans meal for the preparations of all animal feeds at any quantity of your order.

At PigBarn we sell weaners, growers, and gilts of large white, landrace and Duroc.

At PigBarn we design and construct Pig Barns of all materials and style to fit you budget appropriately.

I've been looking for a mentor, I acquired 2 plots of land last week because I wanted to go fully into pigry farm my current business is not doing fine for now. I have total of 1m at hand, My family is ready to build 20rooms for the pig for me. Wanted you to advise me on how to get started and type of bread I should choose

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by shoskid(m): 11:10pm On Mar 04, 2020
I've been looking for a mentor, I acquired 2 plots of land last week because I wanted to go fully into pigry farm my current business is not doing fine for now. I have total of 1m at hand, My family is ready to build 20rooms for the pig for me. Wanted you to advise me on how to get started and type of bread I should choose

I need you to guide me as a novice, I'll appreciate you as well if you can release your contact for me. Thank you
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Extraordinaire8: 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2020
Please could you give appropriate Pen measurements for all phases please and could you help with the compounding of feed, i mean the formulation to use
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Extraordinaire8: 6:39pm On Mar 05, 2020
Also, where is your farm located in case of business?..
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 7:05pm On Mar 05, 2020
Juliana7:
thanks op. You are awesome. Pls sir what about "flushing" for sow, so school of thought says give more protein another says give more energy food. 2. My second question is how do we prevent or guard against diarrhea for weaners. Thanks, God bless u

Sorry for the delay everyone my sow farrowed, been attending to it.

I will advice u leave the practice of flushing because if done wrongly it will increase embryo mortality.

To prevent diarrhea for weaners, it starts from the moment piglets are born, you have to make sure your piglets are been breast feed heavily the first 3 days so they can take enough colostrum, colostrum is the first milk that comes out of the breast of a sow when it gives birth, it contains antibiotics piglets need to survive weaning stage.

Make sure an iron injection is been injected to each piglet the 3rd day of its birth.

Make sure ur pig pen is clean always and you have clean water for them.

And if all you done all this and you still have case of diarrhea then its the feed. You have to reduce the quantity of feed and give more water.
Note:
Preferably feed weaner with yellow maize and soyabeans .
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 12:46am On Mar 06, 2020
aisolae:
What's the cost of building a pig pen for 100 pigs and can you do it?

If yes, write the detail proposal and send it to aremu_abisoye@live.com.

sorry for the late reply, am actively involved at the farm. Nairaland is not an instant messenger so we might all experience this from both sides.

Building a pig pen for 100 Pigs, it all depends on your budget and the materials you intend to use. we have concrete pens and wooden pens. concrete pens are more durable but expensive and requires 24 hrs water supply for bio-security, a septic tank to store all waste product to ensure minimal odour pollution.
wooden pens are less expensive but not good for a scale of 100 pigs, pigs are so destructive, 100 growers will destroy a wooden pen in less than 6 months talk more of full grown pigs (finishers) this will require constant repairs that will amount to the budget of a concrete pen.

The cost of building a pig pen depends on the type of pen you intend to build and your vision for it (breeding or slaughter). 50 sows (female pigs) for breeding can produce a minimal of 500-1500 piglets each year, this has to be taking to consideration.

will contact you privately to know your specifications and type of facilities you intend to you e.g nipple drinkers, farrowing creates, feeders etc.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 12:56am On Mar 06, 2020
shoskid:

shoskid, on building your pig pen, I will advice you get your budget known and identify the type of pen you intend to construct if concrete or wooden because both differ in cost.

For the breeds, i will advice you go for 100% pure largewhite and landrace growers, because weaners will cost you much more to feed to slaughter or mating stage.
Note:
Ensure you buy from the credible farms * very important*
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 1:01am On Mar 06, 2020
Extraordinaire8:
Please could you give appropriate Pen measurements for all phases please and could you help with the compounding of feed, i mean the formulation to use

personally, I advice the size of pen depends on your size of land and your vision of growth.

For formulation of feed, please contact me privately.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 1:19am On Mar 06, 2020
Pls kindly contact me on WhatsApp on
+234.. 070..6569..2849.. For mores enquiries.

For more questions keep them coming here, so others can learn when responded to openly.

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Holycity(f): 7:53am On Mar 06, 2020
how much is growers
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 8:03am On Mar 06, 2020
Holycity:
how much is growers

It depends on the type of breed.

Local breed 8-15k

Landrace&large white (100% pure) 50-60k

Duruck 60-70k

Depending on the farm you buying from and how pure the breeds are.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Holycity(f): 11:40am On Mar 06, 2020
PigBarn:

It depends on the type of breed.
Local breed 8-15k
Landrace&large white (100% pure) 50-60k
Duruck 60-70k
Depending on the farm you buying from and how pure the breeds are.
sorry if am asking too many questions if you buy a grower at 60k, how much wil you sell wen it reach the market size

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 2:25pm On Mar 06, 2020
Holycity:

sorry if am asking too many questions
if you buy a grower at 60k, how much wil you sell wen it reach the market size

Keep the questions coming that's the reason why am here:

Pig farming is not a get rich over night business to be frank with you. If u want to fatten to slaughter I will advice u go for the local breed but if u intend to farm properly in a commercial way you go for the better breeds( landrace and large white) you can start with 10 sows 3 boars and grow fast.

Exotic breeds are been sold per kg, this breeds can weigh up to 350kg, in my location we sell 1000 naira per kg ( live weight) and 1200 per kg for dead weight.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wengerman: 6:30pm On Mar 06, 2020
Holycity:

sorry if am asking too many questions
if you buy a grower at 60k, how much wil you sell wen it reach the market size
those exotic breed are meant for reproduction or duplication and not fattening to sell.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wengerman: 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2020
PigBarn:

Keep the questions coming that's the reason why am here:

Pig farming is not a get rich over night business to be frank with you. If u want to fatten to slaughter I will advice u go for the local breed but if u intend to farm properly in a commercial way you go for the better breeds( landrace and large white) you can start with 10 sows 3 boars and grow fast.

Exotic breeds are been sold per kg, this breeds can weigh up to 350kg, in my location we sell 1000 naira per kg ( live weight) and 1200 per kg for dead weight.
where is your farm where live weight is 1k/kg because I intend to go for commercial pig farming soon. how much is weaners of landrace,large white and duroc

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by bluice25: 7:49pm On Mar 06, 2020
PigBarn:
Pls kindly contact me on WhatsApp on
+234.. 070..6569..2849.. For mores enquiries.

For more questions keep them coming here, so others can learn when responded to openly.
Your number is incomplete
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:38pm On Mar 06, 2020
wengerman:
those exotic breed are meant for reproduction or duplication and not fattening to sell.

They to can be fatten to slaughter in 6months, weighing 100kg no local breed will give you this.
Modern farming is all about farming right and smart. We plant genetic improved seedlings so do we rear genetic improved animals to maximize profit.

The Nigeria pork industry is so underated , Nigerian still imports pork from South Africa at this time, because most pig farmers lack the proper knowledge of the pork market.
Nigeria is meant to be the highest exporter of pork to the world given the abundance of varieties for protein and carbohydrate for the formulation of pig feeds.
The pork industry is a huge one.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Horse Chestnut Called In Any Nigerian Language / Join Our Snail Farm Training Whatsapp Group Now / What Will Happen If You Eat Animal Bitten By A Snake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.