Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Facts About Dud Cheque - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Facts About Dud Cheque (41783 Views)

Otedola Presenting 100M Cheque To Fashola (Throwback Photo) / Bounced/dud Cheque And Its Legal Consequences. / CBN Mulls Fresh N50 Charge On Cheque Leaflets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Sonnobax15(m): 8:58am On Jun 04, 2022
grin
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by HopeNeverDies: 8:58am On Jun 04, 2022
Damnnnn!!! This post make FP shaa
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by dayleke: 8:59am On Jun 04, 2022
doskie:
This material is worthy of front page. But no! You rather see topics on cossys booobs, snake killed front of office, flavours baby mama posing with daughter, i mean i mean i mean i just don't understand!

I think you now understand.... grin

3 Likes

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by CharleyBright(m): 8:59am On Jun 04, 2022
One of the most educative threads on Nairaland in a long while.
It affects all of us.
But interestingly, 85% of People on Nairaland won't open it. They will be opening thread that have anything to do with Toto Dike and Davido or boobs.
Block head youths.

1 Like

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Alutadioxide(m): 8:59am On Jun 04, 2022
Front page after 7 years...
Nice information, OP
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by dayleke: 8:59am On Jun 04, 2022
HopeNeverDies:
Damnnnn!!! This post make FP shaa

Just like your moniker... cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by DICKstractor: 9:01am On Jun 04, 2022
undecided

Cool
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by tonididdy(m): 9:01am On Jun 04, 2022
Someone should memerise grin that oyo lady...

... She's about to become a ⭐️ grin
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by aidameoryou: 9:02am On Jun 04, 2022
nurez305:
This is a valuable information to be on front page so that others can know about it as well

Cc
Seun
Lalasticlacla

Oga read the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't.

This is a platform for the general and not your personal journal.

If you want to always read news, there are over 20 newspaper sites in Nigeria.
Read all of them one after the other, you'll be fine.

don't quote me tho, do what I asked ist.

1 Like

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by HopeNeverDies: 9:03am On Jun 04, 2022
Damnnn!!! Aswear Boss

dayleke:

Just like your moniker... cheesy
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by lolu2019: 9:04am On Jun 04, 2022
Lol.star studded one naija.nah d three wahala tribes dey here.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by DamnNiggar: 9:04am On Jun 04, 2022
After 8 years this article makes front page

Seun na waooo undecided
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by BleedTears: 9:05am On Jun 04, 2022
thirty:
Have you experienced this embarrassing situation before where you confidently walk into a bank to cash a cheque only to be told by the cashier that there is no money in the account? This has happened to a lot of people and that type of cheque is known as a dud cheque.

A dud cheque is a worthless cheque that cannot be paid because the person who issued the cheque does not have sufficient money or has no money at all in his bank account...

Once you receive a dud cheque, make sure that the bank makes the proper entries in its register and also on the returned cheque so that you can use it as evidence, if need be.

It is a criminal offence to issue a dud cheque; an individual who is found guilty of this will be sentenced to 2 years imprisonment while a corporate body will be fined a minimum of N5 million. Anybody who issues a dud cheque can be prosecuted and sent to prison. It is a financial crime that is handled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

There is no statute of limitation for criminal offences and since issuance of dud cheques is a criminal offence, there is no statute of limitation to bring an action against the person.

Issuance of dud cheques is an act of fraud that breeds lack of trust among business partners and affects smooth business relations. It should be discouraged as much as possible.

Lots of people go ahead to issue cheques even when they know that they do not have sufficient money in their accounts. Unfortunately, people who receive dud cheques are not aware that the issuer of the cheque can be prosecuted so they do nothing about it.

In some other cases, people issue dud cheques unintentionally because they are probably expecting some money in their account or they have been debited for a transaction they were not prepared for. That is why it is encouraged that investigations are carried out to know the exact reason behind the worthless cheque.

If you have been issued a dud cheque, you have basically two options. You can choose to report the matter to EFCC so that they can institute criminal proceedings in court against the person. Some people are however not interested in dragging the person to court because of the stress and time that will be spent; they would rather just get their money and be done with it.

You also have a second option of amicable settlement or mediation between yourself and the person who issued the dud cheque to resolve the matter. You can bring a civil action against the person who issued the cheque so that you can get full value of the cheque.

It is advisable to get a lawyer who will provide suitable advice on the best line of action to take but it is important to act quickly.

Is it only in Nigeria that it applies? because the tinder guy is still walking freely.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 04, 2022
After 8yrs,it hit front page

Lesson:wait for your time don’t rush
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by hamtabfawaz(m): 9:10am On Jun 04, 2022
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by mmyfarmsltd(m): 9:11am On Jun 04, 2022
I was offered a dud cheque sometimes in 2016 valued at 675,000 naira.

Though I'm still in possession of the cheque up till date and the issuer ran into thin air, changed location and changed mobile number.

Will it still be valid if I report the issue

2 Likes

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by dayleke: 9:11am On Jun 04, 2022
HopeNeverDies:
Damnnn!!! Aswear Boss

Such is life bro.....

Almost 7 years just floating around in NL cyberspace....

3 Likes

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by dayleke: 9:14am On Jun 04, 2022
kingofthejungle:
call me with likes when it gets to front page

Unfortunately your last seen date is April 1st 2020

5 Likes

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by jayinfo2(m): 9:15am On Jun 04, 2022
eniolanimi:
In my own case i did not give a dud cheque a friend seek for my assistance at microfinance to be a guarantor who promised to pay and never pay in five places she was even deceiving me and like she told me one of the pre-condition to the loan is pre-signed cheques which i gave her with all mind i did it in good faith and am now the banks are presenting my cheques and one of them has taken the matter to the police station.

I am from inu oke that we believe it is good to give a helping hand, I do not know anybody can collect and refuse to pay

Please you can help me.

How did this eventually played out. You still remember the matter at all.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by kelechiodo(m): 9:16am On Jun 04, 2022
thirty:
Have you experienced this embarrassing situation before where you confidently walk into a bank to cash a cheque only to be told by the cashier that there is no money in the account? This has happened to a lot of people and that type of cheque is known as a dud cheque.

Pls someone issued me a cheque in a hurry without opening it and the bank bounced it. I've been calling him to open the cheque but he refused. Can I take him to efcc on the basis of dud cheque.
This matter has lingered for 3 years. Unfortunately I'm no longer staying in the same town with him.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Kaxmytex(m): 9:16am On Jun 04, 2022
Mod digging out old thread diz days, u dey find crude oil?
Wetin go make someone issue trabaye cheque sef, u wan cause vawulence for banking hall?
Stupîd comrades sha..
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by prizzy2(m): 9:26am On Jun 04, 2022
coolniyi99:

What can one do when you've instructed the bearer of the cheque not to use it, because there is no money in the account.. But the bearer still stubbornly uses it. So as to put one in trouble

You can call your account officer to cancel the check, this will save you money as well
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Moneyyman: 9:30am On Jun 04, 2022
No be today NL don craze grin grin grin

doskie:
This material is worthy of front page. But no! You rather see topics on cossys booobs, snake killed front of office, flavours baby mama posing with daughter, i mean i mean i mean i just don't understand!
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Razy75g: 9:32am On Jun 04, 2022
The 3 criminal cultures of Nigeria. Hausa/Fulani, ibo and Yoruba
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by REALretep(m): 9:33am On Jun 04, 2022
thirty:

A dud cheque is a worthless cheque that cannot be paid because the person who issued the cheque does not have sufficient money or has no money at all in his bank account...

Once you receive a dud cheque, make sure that the bank makes the proper entries in its register and also on the returned cheque so that you can use it as evidence, if need be.

It is a criminal offence to issue a dud cheque; an individual who is found guilty of this will be sentenced to 2 years imprisonment while a corporate body will be fined a minimum of N5 million. Anybody who issues a dud cheque can be prosecuted and sent to prison. It is a financial crime that is handled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

There is no statute of limitation for criminal offences and since issuance of dud cheques is a criminal offence, there is no statute of limitation to bring an action against the person.

Issuance of dud cheques is an act of fraud that breeds lack of trust among business partners and affects smooth business relations. It should be discouraged as much as possible.

Lots of people go ahead to issue cheques even when they know that they do not have sufficient money in their accounts. Unfortunately, people who receive dud cheques are not aware that the issuer of the cheque can be prosecuted so they do nothing about it.

In some other cases, people issue dud cheques unintentionally because they are probably expecting some money in their account or they have been debited for a transaction they were not prepared for. That is why it is encouraged that investigations are carried out to know the exact reason behind the worthless cheque.

If you have been issued a dud cheque, you have basically two options. You can choose to report the matter to EFCC so that they can institute criminal proceedings in court against the person. Some people are however not interested in dragging the person to court because of the stress and time that will be spent; they would rather just get their money and be done with it.

You also have a second option of amicable settlement or mediation between yourself and the person who issued the dud cheque to resolve the matter. You can bring a civil action against the person who issued the cheque so that you can get full value of the cheque.

It is advisable to get a lawyer who will provide suitable advice on the best line of action to take but it is important to act quickly.
2015 topic on FP

It's like seun just got a new MOD that specializes in digging up worthy old topics for FP
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Audemars: 9:35am On Jun 04, 2022
It's as worthless as tinubu and. Atiku put together.
Na to use am pay all these smelling okpo .
Okpo take this cheque of 50k go cash am out for bank
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by MrCover: 9:36am On Jun 04, 2022
Nawa o
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by bigdammyj: 9:37am On Jun 04, 2022
Dec. 31, 2015.

It's okay.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 04, 2022
thirty:

There is an exception to this law. If the person stops the cheque or issues a directive to the presenter not to present the cheque for payment before presentation, the issuer escapes liability.

This exception is expressly provided for in the Dud Cheque (Offences) Act. Cap D11 LFN 2004

1 Like

Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by Generalwoodz(m): 9:59am On Jun 04, 2022
If only Buhari and his cohorts would return this country just the way it was when the OP crated this thread...if only angry
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by OlujobaSamuel: 10:01am On Jun 04, 2022
kelechiodo:

Pls someone issued me a cheque in a hurry without opening it and the bank bounced it. I've been calling him to open the cheque but he refused. Can I take him to efcc on the basis of dud cheque.
This matter has lingered for 3 years. Unfortunately I'm no longer staying in the same town with him.
How was it close? General or specific (that is, tied to a particular person), if it's General, you just present an account you want the money to be paid to, if it's specific, I don't know what you can do, other than talk to the person to lift it.
You can pursue your debt through other means but not under the dud cheque rules.
Re: Facts About Dud Cheque by OlujobaSamuel: 10:02am On Jun 04, 2022
coolniyi99:

What can one do when you've instructed the bearer of the cheque not to use it, because there is no money in the account.. But the bearer still stubbornly uses it. So as to put one in trouble
Tell your bank not to honour.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young And Aspiring Entrepreneurs In Abeokuta,let's Meet! / What Business Can I Start With 50,000, Please Advise / How Aliko Dangote Became The Richest Man In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.