Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. (15762 Views)

Anioma, Igbo And Matters Arising / The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State / Sunday Oliseh...his Resignation And His Igbo Identity And Denial. Implications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by EastField: 6:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
Abagworo:

Wise Igbos like me have long dissociated those people from Igbo discussions. It is only the ignorant ones that innocently assume they are Igbos.
Eastlink:
Inasmuch as I don't like dabbling into Ikwerre issue, the same applies to Ekpeye. Ekpeye's don't deny their Igboid connection, but they hardly call themselves Igbo. At most you hear them say Ekpeye or Ahoada. If there is one people that love the Igbo in the Niger-Delta, fought and suffered with them in the Biafran war and would even sale lands to them, then you should look towards Ndi Ahoada.
They bear Igbo names, wear similar attires and have similar culture, yet their language seems different in many aspect from other dialects of Igbo. Even different from the harsh one spoken in Ebonyi.
Unlike the Ikwerres, Ogba and other denials they deserve the tag Igboid. The Igbos should respect the Ekpeyes. However, you are the first Ekpeye man, I have seen come out openly to claim Igbo. let me ask you a question and dont be offended. Where in Ekpeyeland are you from, your LGA, community and village.
Saying That Ekpeye are not Igbo is an Insult on izzi, Ezzea and Ikwo people of Ebony I state becOs I HV been to epkeye land and beliv me The Ekpeye people speaks better Igbo dialect than the izzi,ezzea and ikwo ppl of Ebony I state

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by ariesbull: 7:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
cheruv:

Well done...
Tomorrow we'd see those fools who say there are no SS Igbos angry

Some times people like hopeathand and other gangs manke me just ask myself

Why are people so immense in lies
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by CltrAltDel: 7:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
[s]
ikechu1278:

Inferiority complex to who? A docile savage slave tribe called yoloba. You must be high on some cheap synthetic meth.
While I'm at it, if your savage brother didn't shamelessly try to attache your despicable, disgusting savage animal tribe to anioma, I wouldn't have mentioned you dimwits.

If your attache by force brother pretending to ikwerre didn't shamefully try to invade this thread to try and do his divide and rule tactics, I wouldn't have mentioned that your despicable savage tribe. Disgusting pigs. #spit on your face.

Don't quote me again, I don't speak to devils and animals
[/s]
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
They should be the same people in different geopolitical zone

I really doubt that.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2016
So u don't believe in migration? The people of Ibusa in Delta migrated from the Isuofia in Aguata lga Anambra
MrAnalyst:

I really doubt that.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 01, 2016
I have this lady in my office at apapa who's is from Ahoada, Chioma will always tell me that she is Igbo. Yet to meet other Ekpeye people, though Chioma is now married to a man from Ebonyi.
EastField:

Saying That Ekpeye are not Igbo is an Insult on izzi, Ezzea and Ikwo people of Ebony I state becOs I HV been to epkeye land and beliv me The Ekpeye people speaks better Igbo dialect than the izzi,ezzea and ikwo ppl of Ebony I state
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 9:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
So u don't believe in migration? The people of Ibusa in Delta migrated from the Isuofia in Aguata lga Anambra

Actually,I doubt that Isiokpo being the name of the two communities means they're the same people. This case seems at best coincidental.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ok, I still think they. Are related, in olden days you don't just wake up to answer a name, the projenitor of Isiokpo may have children that gave birth to town town that we know today, the people of Ibusa (Isu) are still connected to the people of Isuaniocha in Anambra, what am saying is that Ibusa/Igbouzo are still known as Isu descendants, Nenwenta beget Nenwe which is my town in different local government but in the. Same Enugu, distance from Nenwe to Nenwenta is about 20/25 kilometres, In Nenwe we have communities such as Uhueze, Emudo, Amoji and Agbada same with Nenwenta. I think they are the same people
MrAnalyst:

Actually,I doubt that Isiokpo being the name of the two communities means they're the same people. This case seems at best coincidental.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 9:40pm On Jan 01, 2016
Eastlink:
On point broda. Nairaland have really taught me so many lessons. With the strong fort have built in this forum no one dare talk ill about my area. Cos am ready to whip any motherfucker that runs his mouth about my ethnicity.
Proudly Egbema,
Proudly Igbo.
Madoo
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
Ok, I still think they. Are related, in olden days you don't just wake up to answer a name, the projenitor of Isiokpo may have children that gave birth to town town that we know today, the people of Ibusa (Isu) are still connected to the people of Isuaniocha in Anambra, what am saying is that Ibusa/Igbouzo are still known as Isu descendants, Nenwenta beget Nenwe which is my town in different local government but in the. Same Enugu, distance from Nenwe to Nenwenta is about 20/25 kilometres, In Nenwe we have communities such as Uhueze, Emudo, Amoji and Agbada same with Nenwenta. I think they are the same people

Okay. Noted.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2016
I've gotten some lessons on Ikwerre. No wonder when I used to attend the Deeper life retreat at Rumudara, they used to have different interpreters for different parts of Ikwerre. But based on my experience, I've never come across any Ikwerre person that does not understand Central Igbo though speaking fluently is a different thing. Even in my village, a lot of people struggle to speak central Igbo to Non Nkanu or Wawa people.

Please can someone create a thread on the different parts of Ikwerre land and what their dialects sounds like and the similarities with some Igbo dialects.

BTW, where do you group Elimgbu/Rumukrushi under? Which lGA?

Hopeathand Abagworo Ezepromoe
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 10:05pm On Jan 01, 2016
Afam4eva:
I've gotten some lessons on Ikwerre. No wonder when I used to attend the Deeper life retreat at Rumudara, they used to have different interpreters for different parts of Ikwerre. But based on my experience, I've never come across any Ikwerre person that does not understand Central Igbo though speaking fluently is a different thing. Even in my village, a lot of people struggle to speak central Igbo to Non Nkanu or Wawa people.

Please can someone create a thread on the different parts of Ikwerre land and what their dialects sounds like and the similarities with some Igbo dialects.

@bolded. They are in Obio clan of Obio/Akpor LGA.

For an Ikwerre to grasp the dialects of all clans, one must rily be versed in Ikwerre. An Igbo trying to live amongst us will need an interpreter.

Years ago during NYSC it Akwa Ibom, an Enugu guy attempted to listen to the conversation between me and an Ndele guy. After the conversation we asked him what he understood, he replied he didnt understand a single word. I womder how we can be of same ethnicity when we cant communicate in one language. Language is primarily for communicating.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 11:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

@bolded. They are in Obio clan of Obio/Akpor LGA.

For an Ikwerre to grasp the dialects of all clans, one must rily be versed in Ikwerre. An Igbo trying to live amongst us will need an interpreter.

Years ago during NYSC it Akwa Ibom, an Enugu guy attempted to listen to the conversation between me and an Ndele guy. After the conversation we asked him what he understood, he replied he didnt understand a single word. I womder how we can be of same ethnicity when we cant communicate in one language. Language is primarily for communicating.
That one set dey but that's not a cogent reason. While driving in traffic, I heard a hawker speaking a language and I asked him which language that is and he said Igbo and I swore that there is no way that can be Igbo. It was actually the dialect spoken by either Ezza or Izzi(can't remember which exactly) of Ebony state. Even though I couldn't pick a word, maybe I didn't pay attention enough. But that doesn't mean they're not Igbo. We seem to define Igbo by what is known as central Igbo which is similar to what is spoken in Anambra-statelight-nationeconomic-political-power and some parts of Abia and Imo state. If you hear my dialect, you'll probably think I'm not Igbo too. That's why some of my village people who have never left Enugu find it kinda hard conversing with Igbos from other states.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by nduchucks: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2016
I ask without prejudice, what makes a person an Igbo?

Would somoeone knowledgeable enough be kind enough to shed some light on this question. There seems to be a controversy on this issue; a controversy which should not be ignored.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 11:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
nduchucks:

Would somoeone knowledgeable enough be kind enough to shed some light on this question. There seems to be a controversy on this issue; a controversy which should not be ignored.
There's no definite answer to this. It depends on what you want to believe. An Ikwerre person who doesn't want to be classed as an Igbo person will have a different definition from someone who believes Ikwerre is Igbo. It depends on which side of the divide you belong. I think the best way to go about defining Igbo hood is by tdefininf what it means to be Hausa or Yoruba. You as an Hausa or Northerner, how do you determine who is Hausa?

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by nduchucks: 11:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
Afam4eva:

There's no definite answer to this. It depends on what you want to believe. An Ikwerre person who doesn't want to be classed as an Igbo person will have a different definition from someone who believes Ikwerre is Igbo. It depends on which side of the divide you belong. I think the best way to go about defining Igbo hood is by tdefininf what it means to be Hausa or Yoruba. You as an Hausa or Northerner, how do you determine who is Hausa?

I don't think we have any such controversy to speak of among Hausas or Yorubas. As an example, Yorubas in Nigeria typically have states of origin located somewhere in the Southwest. They all speak and understand Yoruba while some speak different dialects in addition to Yoruba. An Ijebu person or Lagos person will agree without any controversy that he/she is Yoruba. The same applies to the Hausas.

Why is this different with "Igbos"?

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by iconize(m): 11:30pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:

Yeah, just like the Ogba folks in Rivers state migrated from a certain place called Ogba in Lagos.

You people always want to take things to the extreme.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by iconize(m): 11:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
EastField:

I never knew a particular Igbo clan speak a BETTER Igbo dialect than others.

fckers everywhere.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 11:34pm On Jan 01, 2016
nduchucks:

I don't think we have any such controversy to speak of among Hausas or Yorubas. As an example, Yorubas in Nigeria typically have states of origin located somewhere in the Southwest. They all speak and understand Yoruba while some speak different dialects in addition to Yoruba. An Ijebu person or Lagos person will agree without any controversy that he/she is Yoruba. The same applies to the Hausas.

It's because those controversies are not present in Yoruba and Hausa lands that's why I said we should use their definition. It's also not right to say Yorubas are located in the South west. What about the ones in Kwara and Kogi?

The reason why it's different with Igbos is that You benefit more from the Nigerian state of you're not Igbo and that's why some Igbo I'd groups will go to any length, even insult Igbos to prove their none Igboness. And they have reasons on why they're not Igbo. They will tell you that they're not in the South East but South South. They will also tell you that their dialect is different from that of Igbos as if Igbos have only one dialect. If all these does not work, they will tell you that their people migrated from Benin. Like I said, it depends on which part of the divide the person you're asking belongs to. All over the world ethnicity is determined by similarity in language and culture.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by nduchucks: 11:40pm On Jan 01, 2016
Afam4eva:

It's because those controversies are not present in Yoruba and Hausa lands that's why I said we should use their definition. It's also not right to say Yorubas are located in the South west. What about the ones in Kwara and Kogi?

You are correct. I should have said "primarily from the Southwest"

Afam4eva:
The reason why it's different with Igbos is that You benefit more from the Nigerian state of you're not Igbo and that's why some Igbo I'd groups will go to any length, even insult Igbos to prove their none Igboness. And they have reasons on why they're not Igbo. They will tell you that they're not in the South East but South South. They will also tell you that their dialect is different from that of Igbos as if Igbos have only one dialect. If all these does not work, they will tell you that their people migrated from Benin. Like I said, it depends on which part of the divide the person you're asking belongs to. All over the world ethnicity is determined by similarity in language and culture.

Wow!! I find it most difficult to believe the bolded above, but you may be correct.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by EzePromoe: 3:23am On Jan 02, 2016
Afam4eva:

[b]Well, the Ikwerre society is a pretty complex one. Ikwerre initially starts with nine clans which is believed to be the nine children of Iwhoruoha (progenitor of the Ikwerre people), these are: Obio, Rebisi, Akpor, Igwuruta, Aluu, Isiokpo, Diobu and Emohua. Igwuruta, Aluu, Isiokpo all situated in the present day Ikwerre L.G.A are grouped under Iwhoruoha to portend their direct descent from the progenitor of the Ikwerre nation. Obio and Akpor are two children of Iwhoruoha whose descendants are indigenous to the present day Obio/Akpor LGA. Rebisi and Diobu descendants are indigenous to PH city LGA. Rumuokwurushi and Elimgbu are Evo towns under Obio. Evo is the second son of Obio according to history and he begot other towns such as Iriebe, Elelenwo and so on. Majority of Ikwerre people are familiar with Igbo words except those from the Western hinterlands of Emohua e.g Ndele, Ogbakiri, Rumuji and so on. These clans give the fiercest rebuttal to anything that tries to link them with other Igbo groups. Their reasons are understandable. The Ogbakiri people for example constituted a significant number of Kalabari migrants who mixed up with the locals and formed a community today known as Ogbakiri. Till today, there is still that strong lingering Kalabari influence in the culture. I will stop here for now.[/b]

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 10:13am On Jan 02, 2016
nduchucks:

No controversy. By general standards you're Igbo if:-
You come from Igboland-stretching from parts of benue down to parts of rivers state and parts of Akwa Ibom. (on the way excluding huge parts of edo,bayelsa,crossriver and parts of delta). You're Igbo if you come from Igboland. Irrespective of dialect!
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 10:14am On Jan 02, 2016
nduchucks:

You come from Igboland-stretching from parts of benue down to parts of rivers state and parts of Akwa Ibom. (on the way excluding huge parts of edo,bayelsa,crossriver and parts of delta). You're Igbo if you come from Igboland. Irrespective of dialect!

Someone give him the map. I don't have it.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MrAnalyst: 10:23am On Jan 02, 2016
nduchucks:

Someone give him the map. I don't have it.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MXrep: 11:26am On Jan 02, 2016
MrAnalyst:

not whe the states having those communities are geographically contigous and understand each others' dialects
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 11:29am On Jan 02, 2016
EzePromoe:
[b]Well, the Ikwerre society is a pretty complex one. Ikwerre initially starts with nine clans which is believed to be the nine children of Iwhoruoha (progenitor of the Ikwerre people), these are: Obio, Rebisi, Akpor, Igwuruta, Aluu, Isiokpo, Diobu and Emohua. Igwuruta, Aluu, Isiokpo all situated in the present day Ikwerre L.G.A are grouped under Iwhoruoha to portend their direct descent from the progenitor of the Ikwerre nation. Obio and Akpor are two children of Iwhoruoha whose descendants are indigenous to the present day Obio/Akpor LGA. Rebisi and Diobu descendants are indigenous to PH city LGA. Rumuokwurushi and Elimgbu are Evo towns under Obio. Evo is the second son of Obio according to history and he begot other towns such as Iriebe, Elelenwo and so on. Majority of Ikwerre people are familiar with Igbo words except those from the Western hinterlands of Emohua e.g Ndele, Ogbakiri, Rumuji and so on. These clans give the fiercest rebuttal to anything that tries to link them with other Igbo groups. Their reasons are understandable. The Ogbakiri people for example constituted a significant number of Kalabari migrants who mixed up with the locals and formed a community today known as Ogbakiri. Till today, there is still that strong lingering Kalabari influence in the culture. I will stop here for now.[/b]
Ezepromoe always on point. I love the way you clarified the different groupings of the Ikwerre people. So, which part of Ikwerre are you from because you tend to be pan-Igbo in outlook, a big contrast to Hopeathand who hails from Emohua. Are you in anyway an indigene of Ikwerre L.G.A? And if from there, which town precisely.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MXrep: 11:30am On Jan 02, 2016
nduchucks:

are u asking this question, the answer is simple, the civil war and oil. after the war, oil bearing communities in igboland was merged with minorities and their only hope of surviving the anti igbo FG of post civil war was to de igbonize.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MXrep: 11:36am On Jan 02, 2016
iconize:

Yeah, just like the Ogba folks in Rivers state migrated from a certain place called Ogba in Lagos.

You people always want to take things to the extreme.
these communties were divided by northener's imposed boundaries, the geographical contiguity of the said comunities invalidates ur comparison. Afteral there is Fegge Onitsha and Fegge Kano and nobody has linked the two

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by MXrep: 11:42am On Jan 02, 2016
iconize:

I never knew a particular Igbo clan speak a BETTER Igbo dialect than others.

fckers everywhere.
there is what we call central igbo (igbo izugbe) ebonyi dialects deviates from central igbo more than ikwere dialects. U better Learn
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by iconize(m): 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2016
MXrep:

there is what we call central igbo (igbo izugbe) ebonyi dialects deviates from central igbo more than ikwere dialects. U better Learn

You're dumb.

So cos Ebonyi dialects somewhat deviate from the central Igbo language makes them less BETTER?

You're an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by EzePromoe: 12:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
Eastlink:
Ezepromoe always on point. I love the way you clarified the different groupings of the Ikwerre people. So, which part of Ikwerre are you from because you tend to be pan-Igbo in outlook, a big contrast to Hopeathand who hails from Emohua. Are you in anyway an indigene of Ikwerre L.G.A? And if from there, which town precisely.
I'm from Omueke Igwuruta in Ikwerre L.G.A. You shouldn't be surprise to see so many proud Igbos because we understand history better. Now imagine how ironic it is for somebody from Ogbakiri, whose ancestor might have been amongst some Kalabari men who came and settled amongst the locals, to tell an Igwuruta man, a direct descendant of Iwhoruoha, that he is not Ikwerre simply because he refused being naive. Some people are not worth replying by the way.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2016
EzePromoe:
I'm from Omueke Igwuruta in Ikwerre L.G.A. You shouldn't be surprise to see so many proud Igbos because we understand history better. Now imagine how ironic it is for somebody from Ogbakiri, whose ancestor might have been amongst some Kalabari men who came and settled amongst the locals, to tell an Igwuruta man, a direct descendant of Iwhoruoha, that he is not Ikwerre simply because he refused being naive. Some people are not worth replying by the way.[/b]

@bolded, im sure u were referring to me. Pathetic assumption.

Well, this thread had its moment. I cant revisit this thread again as the appetite is gone.

Just note that your part of Ikwerre isn't really a part of the Iwhorohna history. Maybe u fall into the people from the Wagidi history. Read my message.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ogbemudia Promises Payback To Oshiomhole / El-Rufai Announces Plan To Lay Off Public Servants In Kaduna / Election Tribunal Judgement: Peter Obi Reacts To Supreme Court's Ruling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.