Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 (7348 Views)

My Most Favorite Films of 2017 / YOUR TOP 10 Seasonal Films (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 02, 2016
*******Also check Top 10 Nollywood Movies of 2014

Hello people, we are here again o! Me and my backyard crew are back again with our list of top Nollywood films. This year obviously had the highest number of cinema releases for Nollywood, they were literarily competing with Hollywood for time space. I couldn't keep up with watching them all (sorry if i didn't include a good film that I haven't watched). And Nollywood people, why was your publicity poor this year? With so much films at the cinemas, you should know better that you need publicity in order to be the chosen one to be a blockbuster. Unlike last year where there were so many disappointments, but one or two outstanding films; this year didn't have any outstanding film for me, but on the average, the films were very good this year! Very good! Kudos to the filmmakers, we can only go up! Please continue to improve; next stop is in sound mixing! It's not just about letting us hear what they are saying anymore, let your movie sound very pleasant - like a proper film. MIXING!!! PLEASE!!! Ejo! It's not funny anymore. Back to business of the day, here are the top 10 Nollywood films I watched this year, I also considered some factors in my ranking like critical reception. Enjoy! And don't forget to add yours wink:

10. Dry

Starring: Stephanie Okereke, Liz Benson, Darwin Shaw, Olu Jacobs, William McNamara,
Release Year: 2015
Production House: Next Page Productions
Director: Stephanie Okereke
Genre: Drama
Budget: N/A
NOTES: Left to me, I really don't like this film.... I just feel it's bullsh!tting! Nollywood doesn't need this narrative! We've seen loads of it in Hollywood. The constant mention of "Africa" (instead of just mentioning a specific village in Northern Nigeria) just makes everything even worse - to the point of irritation. It is obviously a film meant to patronize. A wannabe Hollywood film. I don't like it! But maybe you can check it out and make your judgements. It is a very nice film, if only the propaganda and preachiness were not there

9. The Department

Starring: Majid Michel, OC Ukeje, Osas Ighodaro, Somekele Iyamah, Jide kosoko, Desmond Elliot, Seun Akindele
Production House: Closer Pictures, Inkblot Productions
Director: Remi Vaughn-Richards
Genre: Romance, Action
NOTES: Nice and different storyline, quality acting from Majid and OC. It is nice to see Osas on the big screen for the first time. However, I feel the movie could've been better executed; it dragged at some point, and plot holes existed. Generally, an enjoyable watch.

8. Iyore

Starring: Joseph Benjamin, Rita Dominic
Release Year: 2014
Production House: Raj & Heroes Films
Director: Frank Rajah Arase
Genre: Romance, Drama, Historical fiction
Budget:
NOTES: Left to me, I won't put this kinda film on my list. This is actually one of the better films about Benin Kingdom that I have seen; but I think we are not ready for this kind of films - epic films about ancient kingdoms that is. When you want to make a film about Benin Kingdom, Oyo Empire or an ancient northern Caliphate, I want to see grandiose! giant ancient looking palaces! - with well designed expensive but ancient interiors! Visible ancient urbanization! A film that can be compared to hollywood replica of a Roman Empire, or Indian latest epic - Baahubali! Make a film that can be proudly shown to the outside world as the ancient African urbanization. I'm sorry, but none of these films have done it for me. That's ME! I'm sure many people would enjoy this film.

7. Lunch Time Heroes

Starring: Dianna Yekinni, Dakore Akande, Omoni Oboli and several child actors
Production House: PHB Films, FilmOne
Director: Seyi Babatope
Genre: Family, Comedy
Budget: N15 million
NOTES: This is a very enjoyable family film. It has sh!tload of plotholes and unbelievable moments. But It's very very enjoyable. Quite a disappointment from me, because it is coming from the director of "When Love Happens" - A much better film. But when you close your heart to expectations, you should enjoy Lunchtime Heroes for what it is.

6. Knocking on Heaven's Door

Starring: Blossom Chukwujekwu, Adesua Etomi, Majid Michel, Ini Edo
Release Year: 2014
Production House: Royal Arts Academy, Achievas Entertainment
Director: Desmond Elliot
Genre: Romance, Musical
NOTES: After watching Finding Mercy, I was happy at the improvement of Desmond Elliot! Watching Knocking on Heaven's Door further buttresses the point that Desmond Elliot is now a force! This is a very very good film! BUT, the sync of the music is ..... Terrible! One of the worst I have seen in Nollywood musicals. Remove that, it is a brilliant film, with beautiful songs. Adesua is one hell of an actress. I was just watching her and smiling in this film. The girl can do anything, can't she? Majid, as usual can't go wrong. Blossom shows a different side to him this time, one bad ass guy! Chei kudos.

5. Fifty

Starring: Ireti Doyle, Nse Ikpe Etim, Omoni Oboli, Dakore Akande, Wale Ojo
Production House: EbonyLife Films
Director: Biyi Bandele
Genre: Romance, Drama
NOTES: This is a film that's doesn't have a brilliant story, but however ticks the right boxes everywhere else. It's a very good production, but poor characterization (or would I say wrong casting?). This movie, just like everyother Mo Abudu projects has a specific image it wants to portray, and it does it well....and I am in full support of that image!!! I wish she should be more subtle though; stop saying it that this is what you're portraying, else it loses the organic effect and impact that it is suppose to have, Since people already know what you're doing. Fifty was quite enjoyable film for me. In terms of directing, looks like a typical Biyi Bandele film; whatever that means to you.

4. Road To Yesterday

Starring: Genevieve Nnaji, Oris Erhuero, Majid Michel, Chigul
Production House: The Entertainment Network (TEN)
Director: Ishaya Bako
Genre: Romance, Drama
Budget: N30 million
NOTES: This is also a film like Fifty, not too a great story, but great everywhere else. RTY doesn't have a bad story, but it's pretty too basic for me..I'm sorry...I can summarize the first 80 minutes of the film in 1 minute..before the twist at the end. They just dragged the damn thing on and on and on....and on....and on! "We need to talk", "we need to talk", biko say wetin you wan say! Okay that aside, I enjoyed Road To Yesterday. I noticed a lot of dubbed sounds and foleys in this film....God bless whoever did it! Kulanen Ikyo, is that you? Nollywood producers, please take note of how they wrote the end credit of this film. Kunle Afolayan, hope you're hearing? Thank you! Not all of you are guilty, but alot of you are guilty of mediocre looking end credits. It's one of the details I pay attention to. RTY also has a very decent sound mixing; the kind you see in October 1 and few other films.

3. Gbomo Gbomo Express

Starring: Ramey Nouah, Osas Ighodaro, Gbenro Ajibade, Gideon Okeke, Kiki Omeili
Production House: WaltBang Productions
Director: Walter taylaur
Genre: Caper, Comedy, Action, Romance
Budget:
NOTES: This film has a very very very nice story! I enjoyed it. Ramsey Nouah, like in The Figurine, pulled a stunt again!!! LOL....Gbomo Gbomo Express is a bit funny too. Very enjoyable watch I had. I think somewhere down the line, in the execution, something went wrong! I really can't place my finger on what went wrong...something tells me it is due to over ambitiousness. It also dragged a bit at the beginning, and the sound was noticeably subpar. Sorry, but is Ramsey degenerating as an actor?...or his ability strongly relies on the director's capability to direct actors properly? Just asking....He was phenomenal in The Figurine, but just there in this film...same with 30 Days in Atlanta. Warris happening brother Ramsey Nouah? This film has one of the better Gideon Okeke's performances...Kudos and Keep improving!

2. The Visit

Starring: Nse Ikpe Etim, Femi Jacobs, Blossom Chukwujekwu, Bayray McNwizu
Production House: Koga Studios
Director: Olufunke Fayoyin
Genre: Romance, Comedy
Budget: NA
NOTES: LMAO...I SWEAR, this was my best film of 2015!!! It was just funny! It is arguably the only film that fully engaged me for its entire duration! It ran for well over 2 hours and I didn't notice! It was really good. Trust me, It's not a kind of film that'd rake in awards, but it's a film that has the audience in mind; with the right promotion, this could've easily been a really commercial film like 30 Days in Atlanta, but without a stupid and poor story like 30 Days in Atlanta. I've seen a lot of films (especially from Ghana) that they spill beans at the end part, which always crown the films sort of. In The Visit, they were just spilling and exposing themselves from the beginning till the end; I had to control my laughter in the hall. That Eugenia girl (Bayray)....smh....your life is not enviable at all. Nse Ikpe Etim; can you ever go wrong! Whether Classy or razz, you pull it off so well. My dear!!! I don't even know what to say. You guys need to watch The Visit....it's a film you can't hate! No! Before I forget, the one thing that dropped the film from my number 1 was the sound. The sound of this film was....terrible! Sound mixing is not yet part of my criteria for ranking, because most New Nollywood films would fail, but this film takes us back to the days of home videos....the days that you need your remote control in your hands! You'd barely be able to hear anything at some point, then it's loud when the music starts playing! Does that ring a bell?! The subtitle saved the day! Godbless the filmmakers for the idea...but it'd be unfair to put The Visit in number 1 with that kind of sound.

1. Taxi Driver: Oko Ashewo

Starring: Femi Jacobs, Odunlade Adekola, Grace Ijeoma Agu, Hafeez Oyetoro
Production House: Orbit Imagery
Director: Daniel Oriahi
Genre: Comedy, Action
NOTES: Hehehehe, another amazing film!!! Ask me why I love this film, and I can't even say...I think the reason people love this film is because it has its soul in the right places. The kinda Nigerian film I'd like to see being produced often. It's a film that shows the Nigerian ghetto lifestyle, but without condescending to ridiculousness, like an "African film" that desperately wants an oscar. eg DRY *side eye*. Nice production quality. I like I like Taxi Driver. I just like it! Don't ask me why! NOW TO THE DISCLAIMERS. This movie is 95% in Yoruba language! Not like I have a problem with that. BUT THE SUBTITLE IS IN PIDGIN!!!!! Like seriously? Who subtitles a movie in pidgin? You people are lucky that I understand yoruba, If it was like Onye Ozi by Obi Emelonye that tried this nonsense with me, aswear I will make sure I ask for a refund. I mean, I can barely speak the damn language (pidgin), talkless of knowing how to read it, as a subtitle at that, where it'd be taken off screen in no time. No producer should ever try this nonsense with me again pleeeeaaaase. Eje kori lope o undecided angry

looking forward to:
The C.E.O. by Kunle Afolayan (coming soon)
Surulere by Mildred Okwo (coming soon)
A soldier's story by Frankie Ogar (Released 2015)
The First Lady by Omoni Oboli (Released 2015)
Falling by Niyi Akinmolayan (Released 2015)
If Tomorrow Never Comes by Pascal Amanfo (Released 2015)
Gone Too Far by (Released 2015)
'76 by Izu Ojukwu (coming soon) - It wouldn't be here if I didn't see a new trailer recently. Actually, I'm no longer looking forward to this film

criteria - As usual; Superb story/plot, Excellent Production values, great acting etc...

ACTORS OF THE YEAR!
Criteria:[/b]My actors of the year refer to the stars who acted quite a number of movies between year 2014/2015....well....it might also translate to good acting Qualities.

[b]MALE
Majid Michel

No be today, this Ghanaian fine man has been giving Nigerian actors a run for their money in Nollywood for a long time. In 2014, he alongside OC Ukeje was the highest grossing actors, based on the total amount of money their movies made that year. Majid is just a phenomenal actor; I'm a fan anytime anyday. BTW, Mr Femi Jacobs, we are watching you too....smiley

List of Movies featured in year 2014 through 2015 - Knocking on Heaven's Door, Brother's Keeper, Champagne, Being Mrs Elliot, 30 Days in Atlanta, The Department, Road To Yesterday

FEMALE
Adesua Etomi

Adesua is a lady that just popped into the picture and suddenly, she's everywhere! I saw her first in Gidi Up and I think she's a very good actor; she's hot too kiss....When I was thinking of who to make the actress of the year, she was the first name that came to mind.

List of Movies featured in year 2014 through 2015 - Knocking on Heaven's Door, Brave, Gidi Up (TV), Shuga (TV), Falling, A Soldier's Story, Out of Luck

Now the ground is open add yours. Your top movies for 2015, the movies you are watching out for in 2016 and your best actors this year! wink. Enjoy the fun smiley.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by prof800(m): 11:12pm On Jan 02, 2016
Finally!
"The list" is here.

I'm in tandem except I'll pick Femi Jacobs over a Majid Michel for favourite male act of 2015.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by homesteady(m): 2:08am On Jan 03, 2016
Watched Road to Yesterday last week, I read many complaints about the numerous 'can we talk', but surprisingly I liked it ohh! It sounded like they were giving spoken words(poem)! Every 'Can we talk' starts a new stanza. I liked their discussions, it was very nice!
The sound ... I almost started dancing when that Kas beat song started playing grin the thing enter well.
I liked that Club scene were the 4 ladies went partying, it's the best I've seen in Nollywood.

Was it not last year Invasion 1897 came out? whats your opinion on the film?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by parrotibaba(m): 8:22am On Jan 03, 2016
I think there should be more cinemas across the country so that these producers will have the chance to make their money back before DVD sales. Also, this movies should be marketed aggressively to promote interest because most folks (including me) have no idea about this movies.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by prof800(m): 2:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
homesteady:
Watched Road to Yesterday last week, I read many complaints about the numerous 'can we talk', but surprisingly I liked it ohh! It sounded like they were giving spoken words(poem)! Every 'Can we talk' starts a new stanza. I liked their discussions, it was very nice!
The sound ... I almost started dancing when that Kas beat song started playing grin the thing enter well.
I liked that Club scene were the 4 ladies went partying, it's the best I've seen in Nollywood.

I think it is a form of creative writing. "can we talk"...

Invasion 1897 was aired on AfricaMagic today. So boring. Dialogue pattern ruined the beautiful picture. Acting was sub-par. The "EPIC" feel was lost along the line. A lot of effort and resources was put in the work so a lot was expected. sad
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
prof800:
I'm in tandem except I'll pick Femi Jacobs over a Majid Michel for favourite male act of 2015.
Can't disagree, He definitely came to my mind, but I picked Majid cos he has been more consistent and spread out through the year and previous year. Hopefully, Femi Jacobs maintains the pace he started in the last half of 2015.

homesteady:
I almost started dancing when that Kas beat song started playing grin the thing enter well.

I also loved the club scene!!! It was well filmed.

I promised myself not to watch any Lancelot's film on Benin Kingdom, after Adesuwa. Anyother film he makes, I'd have to read a huge load of good reviews before I'd give it a chance. Tenk you angry

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by OohMpa: 8:03pm On Jan 10, 2016
When you consider the movies you watched last year, Iyore and Lunchtime Heroes shouldn't be on your top ten. Those movies were shitty for OohMpa, probably his opinion though.

And "Fifty", mehn maybe because OohMpa has never liked Mo's movies. Her projects don't speak to me at all. Then again, OohMpa's opinion...

Oko Ashewo....grin You can't leave your seat for nothing. Thanks for some tips, OohMpa will watch them

Add the movie runtime to your posts and the year of release would fit better as a parenthesis beside the movie name

Finally, get a blog angry
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by Nobody: 12:03am On Jan 11, 2016
the visit, taxi driver... Ha!

30 days in Atlanta>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all dese movies
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Films Of 2015 by itstpia8: 1:20am On Jan 11, 2016
synopses?

(1) (Reply)

Tiwa Savage To Star In MTV Shuga Series Season 3 / PHOTOS: Friends And Family Attend Paul Walker’s Funeral / Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.