Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? (14633 Views)

Watch Nigerian Movies Online For Free / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 1:29am On Nov 06, 2005
Hello, folks! I personally agreed with everything this American cinematographer had to say about the so-called "Nigerian Film Industry." I have always believed that the "NFI" is nothing, but mediocrity. And instead of calling a spade a spade, we tend to celebrate these mediocres (actors, actresses, directors, who themselves need to be directed, producers, who put rubbish out because of money, and just about everybody in this non-existing "industry"wink; I believe they can do better! What say you all?
Americans don't watch Nigerian movies, says Wishengrad
* Faults the name Nollywood
JUST when practitioners of the nations home video sector popularly called Nollywood are rolling out drums in celebration of the perceived success of Nigerian movies in places like the United States and Europe, they may be taken aback with the information that Americans don't watch our local movies!

Marc Wishengrad, Emmy nominated Director of Photography, one of the resource persons at the just concluded SHOOT 2005, a cinematography workshop organised by the Nigerian Film Corporation in collaboration with UK based Refuge Island Media and sponsored by FujiFilm International, in his rather blunt manner declared at the Hill Station Hotel, Jos, Plateau State, where he stayed during the workshop, that "an average American does not give a damn about Nigerian movies. They don't watch your movies and that is the truth."

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/arts/article02/040805
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by tunku(m): 1:47am On Nov 06, 2005
I agree with a lot of what wishengard says about the Nigerian Film industry. The only reason the films are selling like hotcakes is because of the immigrant community abroad. Why isn't anyone daring to be Great? India has a strong movie industry that has gained legitimacy with people outside of India. hell it even penetrates africa, yet all that is being pushed out of Nigeria are subpar movies that are second rate at their best.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Seun(m): 2:17am On Nov 06, 2005
We have Americans and Phillipinos who are active on this forum because they were searching for information on Nigerian movies. Most of them are married or related to Nigerians or have Nigerian friends who regularly watch such movies. So obviously there are Americans who watch Nigerian movies.

But how many? That is the real question!

The truth is that if your movies are accepted by a reasonable percentage of the Nigerians in America alone, you'll be smiling to the bank. But it would be impossible to get our Nigerian movies to be shown in cinemas without getting more Americans interested in them.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by nferyn(m): 2:35am On Nov 06, 2005
I, guilty of marrying to a Nigerian woman, cannot possibly watch Nigerian home video's for longer than 15 minutes. The bad production and lame storylines make it impossible for me to get into a a state of suspension of disbelief.

While there are countless American movies that have equally bad acting or storylines, the quality of production allows you to get into the story.

This is the one thing can make these movies acceptable to a non-African audience. There are African films that are appreciated by non-Africans, but these films don't originate in Nigeria, but rather in Mali, Senegal Burkina Fasso, etc

1 Like

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Hunter(m): 10:08am On Nov 06, 2005
Some movies I have watched looked like they were filmed on a mobile phone, the quality was that bad lipsrsealed
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Sky(f): 10:15am On Nov 06, 2005
Well don't know I watch them to and I like them really but Iv'e just came in contact with these movies because my stepfather is nigerian...
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 10:31am On Nov 06, 2005
You guys have forgotten that these films are its infancy and made with limited funds. There will be growth by the time more investors come into the sector. Who really cares about what the American got to say? When Hollywood started, it was rubbished this way too. Criticism is good, but it should not be done with sarcasm like the American did. Nigerian films are being watched all over Africa and it is still growing..... With more money in the pockets, better films will be made. How many British films have you watched to find out that are just rubbish?

So it is wrong to totally ridicule the efforts these guys are putting in. There are quacks in the industry, yes, but the number of professionals are growing. there are growing number of Nigerians based abroad that are producing Nigerian films these days, and it is getting better.

2 Likes

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by nferyn(m): 11:10am On Nov 06, 2005
@ omon

How come then that movies from Burkina Fasso are of much better quality than those from Nigeria. It's just a matter of focus. Those Nigerian movies are cash cows and I don't think most of the producers really care about the quality. They can do so much better, even with limited funds.

But I must admit that the quality is improving, they almost reached the point that the movies are watchable undecided
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ka: 4:34pm On Nov 06, 2005
Nferyn,

Are Burkinabe films as popular on the African continent as Nigerian ones? I don't know - I'm just asking.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by nferyn(m): 4:43pm On Nov 06, 2005
Ka:

Nferyn,

Are Burkinabe films as popular on the African continent as Nigerian ones? I don't know - I'm just asking.

No, I don't think so, these are the films they usually show at arthouse cinemas here in Europe. They're usually very good.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 8:08pm On Nov 06, 2005
@Omon, are you kidding me? Lately, production costs are greatly being reduced; you can take a low budget and produce an outstanding picture of an acceptable quality. These guys (Nigerian "directors and producers"wink are just lazy andso quack that they don't seem to know what they're doing. And the players? Oh, my! They are absolutely pathetic and arrogant! Imagine that Genevieve writing an article saying she is better than most talents in Hollywood -- what an outlandish thing to say! I also read an article where one "jeko jeko" Nigerian "producer" was comparing himself to Spielberg. Not only did he think he should have won awards like Spielberg, he even believed he was the better of the two. Look, I'm a Nigerian, only when we're this blunt and intolerable about these anomalies can they improve on their performances and production values. And it's people like you that give in to half-baked, second-rate abilities, and averageness. That's why we can't compete internationally -- please, hit the nail on the head, man! angry
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 8:09pm On Nov 06, 2005
You seem not to know that the French govt has been sponsoring films in the french speaking african countries for more than 2 decades now. Those films are made with relatively high budgets and yet they are still not as popular as Nigerian films.  You have to give it to Nigeria there. Now that we are enjoying some patronage, it is just the right time to start churning out good films.  Recently, some large some of money was given to a Nigerian producer by the French, and he is going to shoot his in Benin Republic with a Nigerian cast, so you see, the attention is gradually coming to us.  You have to support these guys and not castigate them.

@Ajisafe, you miss the point in my post, the fact I said our movie industry is still young concurs with the insinuation that a lot still needs to be them. My argument is when you criticise, don't do it with so much sarcasm. These guys are only using their efforts and of course, there are quacks...but with time, the true professionals will win. It is a new industry and many people think they can make gold and diamons out of it even when they lack the skills. Give it time and support, the true professionals will stand out. When you compare at the budget on films outside the country to what we have, you will easily have a good laugh.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omogenikky(f): 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2005
It's true, the average american doesnt give a damn about Nigerian movies. The people who watch Naija movies here are African immigrants  who are fascinated about the opulence potrayed in the movies. My hairdresser from Congo gives me a discount for Naija movies I can get her. Some of her customers cant speak english so cant understand Nigerian movies in english but still seat in front of the TV giggling endlessly at the antics of our "actors".
Even the  ones with  good graphics have ridiculous plots. Tthere are some that are good though but these are few. Indians don't cast 50 yr old women as new brides, they cast based on how fit the person is for a role. They don't have their characters scream eewo all the time nor do they have their characters overdo the bush man's part.
Truth is Nigerian film industry has a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng way to go. Right now, the only claim they have to a Nollywood is the huge sales and not the quality of the movies. If that's a good definition of Nollywood, then they are deceiving themselves.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omogenikky(f): 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2005
omon, the french govt spsonsors movies from CFA countries iin an academic sense, these films are designed to have social impacts. Thats why cinemas in the US show movies from Mali, Senegal, etc cos they are well researched and make sense.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by shockreaction(m): 8:33pm On Nov 06, 2005
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Anyway, EVERY Nigerian movie I've seen released within the past 6 to 9 months comes in 2 parts. What the hell!

EDIT: By "seen", I don't mean I've watched the movie.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 8:34pm On Nov 06, 2005
@OmegeNikky, thank you. That's what I'm talking about!

@Omon. Please! Who cares if the British govt. is not supportive of the "industry"? How many governments of the world are supporting our doctors, engineers, lawyers, computer experts etc ? And we're some of the best in the world! Nigerian scientists are kicking butts in America and Europe. Have you ever heard of Philip Emeagwali? This guy is popularly referred to as "a father of the Internet." He created a Supercomputer with a 3.1 billion calculations per second. My point is, Nigerians are intelligent. If we can produce the likes of Wole Soyinka, Ayodele Awojobi (the late engineer/physicist who attained a science doctorate at the age of twenty), Philip Emeagwali and so on, why do we have to make excuses for people who are just out there to make money and wait for Tony Abulu and his cohorts to take them around the African community in Washington and New York, so they can deceive themselves that they're now STARS? Or you hink by being accepted in Ghana and Cameroon is enough? Please, let's speak the truth! These people need to go back to school, period!embarassed
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 9:10pm On Nov 06, 2005
The big question is who is interested in the Nigerian film industry. Why have the likes of Soyinka, Achebe, Emeagwali etc not gotten involved with this industry to churn out good films. There is no use referring to them as icons when they cannot contribute to the growth of an industry that exists around them. I only used the French govt to explain why the films in Mali and Senegal have better quality than ours. Wole Soyinka and the likes you so refer to can put up a good storyline/plot and I bet you, it will be screened well, but that is not what is happenning. the quacks are allowed to take over.

So what do you think? That the present guys should stop? No!, they will continue until they become perfect. And when you talk of a good plot, Hollywood does not get it right all the time. Look at their horror movies, it is the same plot all the time, they have their flaws too.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 9:40pm On Nov 06, 2005
@Omon, don't even try to go there! Wole Soyinka has contributed his own quota. The man has written, produced, and directed some wonderful plays in his time. He's left a great impact for the posterity. He's done! Chinua Achebe is now on wheelchair and is still effective! Dr. Ayodele Awojobi together with the geniuses of people like Wole Soyinka helped changed Nigeria's driving (road) direction from right (British) to left (American), Emeagwali is younger and vibrant, but he's really busy kicking white man's behind in America in the areas of computer, engineering, mathematics, and technology. These are men of parts. They didn't want to make movies (with the exception of Soyinka whose film, "The Prodigals," was seized by the Buhari/Idiagbon administration). So, my point is, those who know they want to embark upon a particular profession should try and excel in it. Don't make excuses! That's why Nigeria is still the way it is. Look at how great that nation could have been -- I don't know if you're old enough to remember the eighties; then every idea brought forward by some of our great minds was either shut down or rubbished by mediocres in govt. A good example will be when the leader of the opposition Chief Obafemi Awolowo suggested that Nigeria should build a nuclear power reactor to generate elctricity and other energies. Shehu Shagari and his ilks said no! Why? Because they thought we were OK with that dillapidated Kainji Dam! Look at us today, a nation boasting to be the giant of Africa can not even generate adequate electricity for her masses. What a shame! we always believe in the status quo -- we don't like change.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 9:53pm On Nov 06, 2005
I guess the arguement has digressed there. Now, when I said the likes of Soyinka, I did not mean Soyinka himself. I give my due respect and honour to all who have tried to shape our dear country into what it should be like. My point is, we boast of sound professionals and yet we do not see their works (especially in the movie industry).

My heart bleeds when I look at other nations and see how our country has turned. Lets not loose sight of tommorrow though, it will always be better in all spheres if we are ready to establish good governance by electing only those we think are qualified to govern. Now you may go about saying that true election cannot take place....I will say yes it has (June 12). We all can collectively make a change if we have the will to support and encourage rather than treat with sarcasm and disdain.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 10:25pm On Nov 06, 2005
I have not digressed at all; I'm still on point. In a forum such as this the truth always comes out. If you cannot stand the heat don't go to the kitchen. We are Nigerians and these so-called "actors, actresses, directors, and producers" go around the world, representing us. Talking about sarcasm. Is it sarcasm or the truth when that American cinematographer said that we should be ashamed of ourselves for naming our "Film Industry" "Nollywood"? Or, do you need any one to teach you that Hollywood is the name of a town in Los Angeles county? The guy even suggested that we might be better off calling it Lagos since that's where most of the "movies" are made. Since people go about the world (without shame), saying they are members of the "Nigerian Film Industry," I, as a proud Nigerian, deserve and, has the right to demand the best from them. Or you would rather I don't "treat with sarcasm and disdain" and join you and others in your childish discussion of "Omotola is more beautiful than Genevieve" and so on? C'mon! We can do better than that. I know it's nice to be optimistic and patriotic. Optimism and patriotism, when you know you are deceiving yourselves? Give me a break!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by tunku(m): 10:33pm On Nov 06, 2005
I understand how Wole Soyinka got into the arguement because he is a playwright, but how does a computer scientist like Philip Emeagwali get into a discussion about film making? its not like his big point of research is in the film industry, its using massively parrallel computers to predict weather patterns. Last I check that isn't something that makes for compelling cinema. I think its a bit naive to think that a few famous names who aren't even involved in the film industry to a large extent other than as peripherals to it are expected to save it from itself. If you want them to change vote with your money and stop buying the movies. That will get them to take notice. I would have to agree that the arguement did digress when someone started mentioning famous playwrights, authors, and computer scientists.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Seun(m): 10:54pm On Nov 06, 2005
Editor's note: The best way to prevent the discussion from digressing is to not to comment about how it has digressed!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 11:09pm On Nov 06, 2005
I agree with you, Seun.

But let us all contribute toward sending these so-called "actors and actresses" and also their "producers/directors" back to college, so they can learn the real arts of acting and filmmaking.

1 Like

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by texazzpete(m): 11:18pm On Nov 06, 2005
I've seen many variants of this argument and im always surprised at the brainless arguments you guys put forward for the home video industry. The home Video Industry in Nigeria is NOT in its infancy. That passed eons ago. Do we need to reinvent the wheel? does technology and budget have anythign to do with a decent storyline? or quality acting?
the truth is, as long as these people continue over-exaggerating emotions, stealing stories from Hints and mill and Boon novels, adopting contrived accents and making multiple part home videos rational, thinking, EDUCATED people will always find fault with it.
Last week, i got back home at night and i saw my parents watching a home video on TV, which they rarely hav ethe time to do. they were following the story with keen interest. i didnt have the heart to tell them that th film wouldnt end, that the movie would be stretched into 2 or more parts. i was hoping to be proved wrong. I was right. I will never forget the look on my mum's face when at the most interesting (or least uninteresting from my POV) part of the movie it said "watch out for Part 2".
i could shoot someone for that.
i mean, why would anyone who's gone through higher education watch a movie titled "Sharon Stone" or "osama bin la"? weird  embarassed

1 Like

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 11:29pm On Nov 06, 2005
You guys speak as if every Hollywood movie is a blockbuster.  There are certain American films I have watched and would want to spit on my tv screen.  The same goes for Nigerian films, select what you would want to watch. Let me also correct that the name 'Nollywood' did not come from Nigeria or Nigerians.  It was first used by the New York Times and foreign media before being used at home, so that the name was already popular outside Nigeria before it became news in Nigeria.

I still reckon that our players in the movie industry still have a lot to learn, but please, don't spit on their faces - that is not what they need from you
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by texazzpete(m): 11:43pm On Nov 06, 2005
omon:

You guys speak as if every Hollywood movie is a blockbuster. There are certain American films I have watched and would want to spit on my tv screen. The same goes for Nigerian films, select what you would want to watch. Let me also correct that the name 'Nollywood' did not come from Nigeria or Nigerians. It was first used by the New York Times and foreign media before being used at home, so that the name was already popular outside Nigeria before it became news in Nigeria.

I still reckon that our players in the movie industry still have a lot to learn, but please, don't spit on their faces - that is not what they need from you

Yeah. Not all Hollywood movies are good. but thats not for lack of trying. Many are good and the good one redeem!
Nollywood has by far the most BAD. I spit in their face cos they do not wnat to improve. ask me why wioth all the money that has been made since the industry took off in naija it's the same level of special effects they used in 'Nneka the pretty serpent' that is still in use now. as in they can't go out to study. becasue of people liek you who swallow their tripe without complaint they are emboldened further to make such crap.
you say the industry is improving? when did this habit of releasing 3 parts of a movie simulaneously begin. is it not recently?
when did the corny names like 'Abuja Big Boys' and 'Osama Bin La' start? is itnot recently (a few years ago).
don't glorify crap. condemn. then learning takes place by fire. it benefits us allif our industry improves and people who keep gulping down this milksop encourage the rot in the long run.
I'm not surprised black africans like naija films. it appeals to the unenlightened. grin
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 11:53pm On Nov 06, 2005
The same way Americans don't watch black American films right?
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 12:13am On Nov 07, 2005
@Texazzpete, you're right on the money. But don't consider this praise an olive branch since you and I are warring on another platform.

@Omon! You'll never change. Call it what it is: These people are quacks, period!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Oracle(m): 6:04am On Nov 07, 2005
men americans  watch nigerian movies
even more than nigerians believe it or not
itz true besides even if they don't itz no big
deal they are americans in america and some do
not really have the access like we nigerians do
but man they really watch nigerian movies
BELIEVE ME

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by aloib(f): 9:45am On Nov 07, 2005
men this na berra arguement i gbadun, i only watch nigerian films just to know wats going on in naija, my friends here dont watch it at all. but nigerian music, call any of my dorm mate any day and tell him/ her to spit some of tufaces songs or styl plus. the movie industry is really bad. the music industry is far far better.

1 Like

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by kbone(m): 9:58am On Nov 07, 2005
like the arguement so far, suprised some peeps still defend nollywood a celebration of mediocrity. It's all been said, i dont watch nigerian films and i dont plan too anytime soon except for movies by Taju Kelani - only professional nigerian movie producer
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by angelak(f): 11:28am On Nov 07, 2005
To the best of my knowledge, alot of Nigerians abroad watch Nigerian films despite all the criticisms it has received.

Each Christmas, i am faced with the responsibility of recommending nice Nigerian films for my friends/cousins abroad to buy and take back with them. They also buy for their  friends over there too. They usually buy enough to fill a medium sized carton!

I know Nigerian films can be annoying but i like them for one thing,their flaws makes one laugh, also they are easy to understand, it's good to watch them when you just need to relax and not stress your mind. Like we all know some American movies need your full attention/concentration( as if you are in a lecture hall). If you miss a little part of it, you might be lost.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Bitto Wins Payporte Game Night / LET'S TALK ABOUT "JENIFA's DIARY"-- / Celebrities At The Premiere Of "Wives On Strike Revolution" By Omoni Oboli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.