Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? (14661 Views)

Watch Nigerian Movies Online For Free / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by ababoy1(m): 1:34pm On Nov 07, 2005
Some Nigerians that I know in the UK watch Nigerian movies (many don’t). One reason why they do so is to express amusement at the poor acting and production.

For my part, I don’t look out for faultlessness. I look out for something distinct. I never both watching movies filled with bogus American twang. I prefer the side-splitting movies, more especially those in Pidgin or Igbo. If I want to watch a good thriller, it surely wouldn’t come from Nigeria. We are not just there yet.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Balogun(m): 2:17pm On Nov 07, 2005
Having lived in the united kingdom for more than half my life I recently came in contact with nigerian movies. The acting was so bad, the production was awful, the story line was lame, however I watched it because ...... I dont know. The reason why nigerian movies are not going to make it is the lack of artistic licence. Films from Mali and Burkina Faso have artistic licence and culture. They are set in rural villages. The nigerian one I watched was about a spoilt daughter who was interested in driving her mercedes. A storyline set in ijebu or calabar with local music and dances would interest me more. I have white friends that sit for hours watching the christening ceremony of my daughter done in nigeria with a juju band in the evening. We have good cinematography. We should develop the culture first and then worry about making the money after. Unfortunately like most things in Nigeria, its lets make money first!!!!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Jio(m): 4:14pm On Nov 07, 2005
Angela just made a good point, watch Nigerian films when you want to laugh or you really have nothing to do.

@Omon.............How can an industry that's at least 13 years old (living in bondage came out in 92) still be in the infancy stage

You don't need an IQ to understand a Nigerian movie, in fact the first 20 minutes is enough for you to decipher the whole movie.

These movies are meant for the LIGs ( Low Intelligence Group).
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 6:21am On Nov 08, 2005
****These movies are meant for the LIGs ( Low Intelligence Group).****

@Jio, good point!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by kelvin(m): 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2005
To the best of my knowledge, alot of Nigerians abroad watch Nigerian films despite all the criticisms it has received.
I bet they watch it in secret...
Let's just face it, the movies are bad and I don't see any progress in the nearest 5years. Even the producers, actors and the rest justify their poor productions by saying 'they produce what happens in the country'.
The truth is that non of them have any knowledge about what they are doing...
The writers are not good enough and the directors are a little out-dated.
The new films we see are just 're-mixes' of the old ones..
For the movie industry to improve, the game players must first of all admit that what they produce is junk and not worth airing... embarassed
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by angelak(f): 11:36am On Nov 09, 2005
Kelvin, why do you think they watch it in secret? are you sure of what you are saying? Do you know that these actors / actresses are celebrated more  by Nigerians abroad than Nigerians here?

People say that Nigerian films are the worst from Africa, can someone explain to me why Africa magic on DSTV shows more of Nigerian films and less of other African countries movies?

Nigerian films are not all that bad, there are good ones and there are horrible ones. The same with American films.

I will recommend some Nice Nigerian movies for all the Nigerian film haters! Please stop expecting them to be as good American movies! just watch them with an open mind!

1) I Belong
2) Girls hostel
3) Private Sin
4) One dollar
5) Dangerous Twins
6) Games women play
7) Sharon stone       etc
cool Brave heart

I Can't remember the names of some other ones that are really nice, when i do, i will continue!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by seriks(m): 6:08pm On Nov 09, 2005
People say that Nigerian films are the worst from Africa, can someone explain to me why Africa magic on DSTV shows more of Nigerian films and less of other African countries movies?

The only reason why DSTV shows so many Nigeria movies is that Nigeria is its biggest market after South Africa. they dont have a choice. It is all about money.

Nigerian films are not all that bad, there are good ones and there are horrible ones. The same with American films.

The difference is that most Nigerian movies are crap while the poor American movies have a special standard (B movies) u will know what u are buying.

I will recommend some Nice Nigerian movies for all the Nigerian film haters! Please stop expecting them to be as good American movies! just watch them with an open mind!

1) I Belong
2) Girls hostel
3) Private Sin
4) One dollar
5) Dangerous Twins
6) Games women play
7) Sharon stone etc
cool Brave heart

I have seem 2 out of these movies. My assessment was:

1) Dangerous Twins

Was highly recommended by all Nigerian movie lovers.
Very good concept. very poorly executed. It came in 3 parts when It should have lasted one and a half hour at most.
Too much time spent letting us know it was filmed in England. Na London we wan chop. It started with promise and ended in disappointment.

2) Sharon Stone

What was so good about the movie? It was mediocre. The title was not original. poor job. I think Genevieve has better movies out there.

The Nigeria movie industry has potential. Its problems can be traced to funding. It requires longterm funding.

Right now the industry is funded by the traders located in (Alaba, Idumota)Lagos, Aba and Onitsha. They are also called marketers.

These traders are used to businesses that turnover in a month or two (They import and sell spare parts or electronics). There profit margins are thin and they make money from very quick turnover.

They are replicating this in the movie industry. They make a movie in 2 weeks, make 2 movies on one set, cut a movie that should be 1 and a half hrs into 3 parts. etc. The fact that they are mostly illiterate or semi illiterate makes things worse. The concept of quality means nothing to them as long as they make money.

As far as they are concerned, they are not building an industry, they are doing a business. They do it as long as they get returns. If returns dwindle, they move on to the next business.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by seriks(m): 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2005
You can watch movies made by mainframe movies and Amaka Igwe for a better quality.

They also have limited budget but they make quality movies. They make far fewer movies than the rest.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 12:12am On Nov 10, 2005
@ seriks:
Oh, my! You're so wonderful. I couldn't have said it better.

Of them all, I only respect Tunde Kelani of Mainframe Production. This is the only person that takes his time and plots wisely before churning stuff out.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by loveth(f): 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2005
Because they call you people african monkies.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by rihanna(f): 9:00pm On Nov 11, 2005
some American's do not even know that Nigerians have a movie industry.

well, wat the nigerian producers expect? some of these movies are ...... i really dun know wat to say!!!!!!!!!!!! they really need to improve so they'll make pple interested in these movies. i'm African but can't lie. I watch Nigerian movies when i'm bored. it's not like they take away the boredom. they add to the boredom n i can easily go to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by rihanna(f): 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2005
we are not trying to compare them to Hollywood but they need to change the story lines. with they story lines they have, u look at the poster n know what the movie is about

they need to surprise us sometimes. there's usually no tention in me cuz i know wats gonna happen . well dats my opinion pple have different opinions n i respect their decisions.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by loveth(f): 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2005
that's funny
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Seun(m): 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2005
seriks, thanks for sharing your list of interesting Nigerian movies.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 1:04am On Nov 13, 2005
Interesting Nigerian movies? Did you understand @seriks' post? He was only rebutting @AngelaK, for crying out loud!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by nddy(m): 7:47am On Nov 13, 2005
i must say their movies are whack, everything is just lame, they have the same story line , which is predictable by a four yr old. I just hate watching their movies. its annoying.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 8:10am On Nov 13, 2005
You're right, brother! But these guys tend to be making excuses for them in the name of patriotism.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by nddy(m): 8:13am On Nov 13, 2005
rubbish patriotism , the most annoying thing i hate is that if the story aint about Church or Fetish things , it would be about a brother killing the sister for money, and also those two Dwarfs they use for kids role. They disgust my being
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 10:34am On Nov 13, 2005
Honestly, I am laughing out loud! Well said, well said.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by ondogi: 2:41pm On Nov 16, 2005
AJISAFE
ha infact i love you believe me (though not in a sexual way o). I thought i was the only sensible person being offended by the crap that is being portray as movies. You definitely hit the nail on the head and i totally agree with your points.

Someone said nigerians abroad watch home videos, fine no problem but who are these people? are they not the same set of razz uneducated ignoramus that watch it in nigeria. oh because they have now manage to sneak into western countries now make them intelligent. For your information educated and ENLIGHTEN nigerians abroad do not watch it.

Personal i think some of this movie producers should be arrested and jailed for defamation of our corporate character and image, believe me i feel that strongly about it. I absolutely do not think any intelligent person will watch nigeria home video period.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by ondogi: 2:48pm On Nov 16, 2005
Also before i usually get emotion and disturbed by the garbage 'nollywood' churn out until i realised that this films were not intended for people like me. There were being produced for people with low I.Q, these people are the target market.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by loveth(f): 4:18pm On Nov 16, 2005
cool
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ajisafe: 1:15am On Nov 17, 2005
True.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by MarcWish: 4:19pm On Nov 27, 2005
This discussion could be extremely healthy toward your growing film industry. I decided to join so I can set the record strait about what was meant more specifically when I said "Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies...." when I was quoted in Jos during SHOOT!2005 I was not being sarcastic or being disrespectful of the home movie industry - I wasn't even concerned with "Nollywood" I was referring to films on the big screen.

There are very few features that make it big in America and even fewer that come from abroad. I was just stating fact there are no Nigerian films on our big screen - However I do expect over the next decade a handful of films will make it to theatrical distribution in America I'm not expecting anything to come out of Nollywood. But from a team like Mainframe or another resourceful group serious in producing something that expresses a real Nigerian story not trying to make it whitewashed but totally honest - entertaining - well told story - void of technical issues -

The films will have to be noticed first in film festivals where they receive distribution in the reel world of the film industry. I respect Nollywood just for what it is - home movies. Now if anyone wants to learn how to make movies that lets the viewer suspend their disbelief - and in a dark theater allow the audience to travel to another world -

Honestly there are very few foreign films that make it to theatrical distribution in the U.S. the ones that do are - way beyond good. A few examples of foreign films that made it big. "City of God" from Brazil and "My Life as a Dog" Sweden.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Swish(m): 1:41am On Nov 28, 2005
I actually was watching yesterday an interview done in south africa...the dude actually made the point of bad audio quality of most of Nigerian movies. I don't think a Nigerian movie Producer has really come and has prepared sincerely to do a film for th world market really. Not the storyline but video quality, camera angles, lighting, props and all that. Even down to packaging, prints on the CD and the rest so what do you expect.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by loveth(f): 2:46pm On Nov 28, 2005
Swish:

I actually was watching yesterday an interview done in south africa...the dude actually made the point of bad audio quality of most of Nigerian movies. I don't think a Nigerian movie Producer has really come and has prepared sincerely to do a film for th world market really. Not the storyline but video quality, camera angles, lighting, props and all that. Even down to packaging, prints on the CD and the rest so what do you expect.
I am really with you.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by bagoma(f): 10:32pm On Nov 28, 2005
@ mackwish,
good thing you clarified your point.

@ angela k,
you recommend private sin? did you take time to really watch that. ok maybe the storyline was good( not flawless) but did you remember genevieve in a wheelchair, supposedly paralised[b] but shaking her legs all through[/b]? and nobody saw that? director, producer, other members of the cast, crew.... RMD was there and nobody saw genevieve on a wheelchair swinging her legs from side to side throughout..... oh my... what can i say?
its really insulting what these people churn out every week.
i tire o.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by razor(m): 2:19pm On Nov 30, 2005
Why should Americans bother watching Nigerian home videos/movies when most nigerians (yours truely inclusive) don't even watch. The point is that most of the films are done in a rush with an extremely low budget and almost the same storyline.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by razor(m): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2005
angela k,

1) I Belong
2) Girls hostel
3) Private Sin
4) One dollar
5) Dangerous Twins
6) Games women play
7) Sharon stone
Brave heart

The title of these movies you recommended sucks and am sure they would be as bad as the title, but then you're the expert here. Personally, l won't spend my precious time on these.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omon(m): 7:25pm On Nov 30, 2005
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by loveth(f): 12:26pm On Dec 01, 2005
@owon
what is there?
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Oyinhoney(m): 12:26am On Dec 08, 2005
Actually i know for a fact that even if Americans arent watchin our films Ghanan's our,Jamaicans(believe it or not) serria leones our n so....so whas the big deal?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

KADA River Movie Wins Historical Peace Movie Of The Year Award / Latest Gist From Nollywood / Yvonne Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.