Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,587 members, 7,823,550 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? (14681 Views)

Watch Nigerian Movies Online For Free / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by bagoma(f): 8:42pm On Dec 08, 2005
so oyin, they should continue with their rubbish abi?
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Swish(m): 1:04am On Dec 09, 2005
It's seems instead of improving progressively and steadily at that...Nigerian movies tend to move forward a bit then jump on a slide then get back to that old point, stay there for a long while(say five years) b4 takin a nother brief step forward... script, lighting, audio, props,
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omogenikky(f): 2:03am On Dec 15, 2005
Well, seems like everyone has noticed the popularity yet shoddiness of our movies. BBC has an ongoing forum about it here. You can have your say too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4524458.stm
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Kanbaji: 8:52pm On Dec 18, 2005
The sad thing about the Nigerian movie is that the Standard seems to be plummeting, from high gradually to the lowest. Gone were the days of quality celluloid films by Hubert Ogunde,Moses Adejumo, Kola Ogunmola and Awada Kerikeri organisation films.The home videos being churned out by the so called nollywood stars being nothing more than untutored activities from mediocre performers.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by vichel(m): 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2006
"I'm not surprised black africans like Nigeria films. it appeals to the unenlightened".   
@ texxazpete
That was very stupid and naive
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Ace4faith: 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2006
I'm white & Canadian & I love Nigerian movies. I don't think it's for the unenlightened. I'm well educated!

I like to see what Nigeria looks like - it's way different - like having compounds instead of front yards, the roadways, vegetation, etc.

I also like to see what Nigerian broken english I can pick up - sometimes it's good to see it in context of a movie.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by dafman(m): 4:25pm On Jan 10, 2006
Methinks there is no need comparing the Nigerian movies with the American movies, No matter how good the Nigerian movie is the Americans would not be into it anyway, cos they focus more on things in their country, as popular as indian movies are not too many americans care about it.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Soulful(m): 2:37am On Jan 14, 2006
Nigerian movies cater primarily for those of us abroad who want to be reminded of something from home. Also, as africans we are now reaady for most of our pro9gramming to reflect our won heritage and way of life (although whether the lifestyles we see in nollywood films is representative is debatable!!). However, I also think its unfair to compare our films with Hollyoowd. We are in our infancy and we will surely mature. Bollywood was the same when it first started and is only now beginning to produce films that mainstream americans etc would want to watch like Monsoon Wedding etc. Even I have noticed that the quality has improved in leaps and bound from what it was just a few years ago!!

I'm sure that in a few years, there will be a naija film that will be made with great production qualities and a great story line and so well acted that it will come to mainstream attention although as has already been mentioned the French film-makers seem to be there already in terms of quality and critical acclaim but not in quantity!!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by dip: 7:24pm On Jan 24, 2006
I don't believe the fact american don't watch nigerian movies, what the Bleep. The problem is, do nigerian directors and producers make an effort inport more here in united state. at the same time, i agree with shockreaction with the fact that nigerian put there movies in 2 cd which is damn anoying. only if they will try to put there cd in one and stop having part 3,4,5 etc in their movies. [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by eveseh(f): 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2006
DO THEY CARE TO WATCH IT,

THEY THINKS THEY ARE BETTER
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by gbadex1(m): 8:27pm On Apr 20, 2006
did i hear someone say Nollywood? well if it is Nollywood, then i'm afraid Nigeria doesn't have a Movie industry. what we have is just a makeshift, "chop clean mouth",abeg make i find money chop garri piswah of an industry filled with dumb-ass clowns parading as directors, producers, actors and actresses all churning out maximum bullshit, portrayed to the poor public. Nollywood? *snickers*, just the name alone makes me laugh! America names it's Movie industry Hollywood, Inda BollyWood, Nigeria wey no fit use their brain find name kome give am Nollywood. how convinient and uncreative for the dumb-ass clowns we have in the Industry.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by eveseh(f): 8:32pm On Apr 20, 2006
u are right ,it's really choop clean mouth lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by vichel(m): 4:50pm On Apr 21, 2006
If the Nigerian movie industry is really serious about showing the world, that when it comes to art we are the best, they should first change the stupid name Nollywood to something worth mentioning. Hollywood is lengendary, and no other industry can be compared to it at this time, so the Nigerian movie big wigs should strive hard to make their industry significant, and not a copy cat
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by ciaragirl(f): 10:55pm On Jun 04, 2006
they dont,they thinks we da african we dont know $hit
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by babalo1: 6:50am On Jun 12, 2006
nigerians, when it come to bussiness, we are weak and lazy and uncoorporative with one another we are still thinking like sole proprietors, little did we realise that we can only make little money this way, nollywood movies are all made by this and that LIMITED we should start forming corporation that way we can spend the right amount of money on producing films and coming out with quality worth spending money on.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omogenaija(f): 2:04am On Jun 14, 2006
Thats not true !!! angry angry angry

I know of many Americans that watch nigerian movies. especially white ppl. some americans watch nigerian films more than nigerians.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Sista(f): 3:59am On Aug 17, 2006
@ To All

I don't know about everyone else but I know for sure that African Americans are watching African movies.

We love the story lines even when they are lame. You know why we love them? Because we can relate to the lameness. It is just so exciting to see Africans in Africa the connection we have no matter what part of the planet earth we are at, The humor and the love situations. Black people are so humorous grin

It would be good when the quality gets better but I still enjoy them. Has anyone seen "Phat Girls" It is a black American movie but it is about a love relationship between a Black American woman and a Black African man. It is os funny, you guys have to see it.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Sista(f): 4:00am On Aug 17, 2006
@ To All

I don't know about everyone else but I know for sure that Blacks in American are watching African movies.

We love the story lines even when they are lame. You know why we love them? Because we can relate to the lameness. It is just so exciting to see Africans in Africa the connection we have no matter what part of the planet earth we are at, The humor and the love situations. Black people are so humorous grin

It would be good when the quality gets better but I still enjoy them. Has anyone seen "Phat Girls" It is a black American movie but it is about a love relationship between a Black American woman and a Black African man. It is os funny, you guys have to see it.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by neelsel(f): 4:49am On Aug 17, 2006
Both sides have presented very thorough and well detailed reasons, however, I still cannot fathom the cause for the hostility. It is as simple as going to the car dealership and deciding on a Mercedes Benz as opposed to a Toyota Corolla. There are certain critiria that would determine our choice, finances I do believe would top the chart. This doesn't in anyway means that a 'broke-ass" person isn't going to exceed their limits in wanting to keep up with the Jones.
Connection? We have the choice of watching Nigerian movies or not, no one is holding a gun at anyone's head. We need to remember that the industry is still in its infancy stage and has a long way to go. Now that does not in any way should be an excuse for mediocrity. We must however, be mindful of our criticisms. The truth is we cannot buy Mercedes Benz on a Toyota salary.
Subject to correction, I am non Nigerian and Yes a whole lot of people in New York look at Nigerian movies.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by athcnv: 2:08pm On Mar 13, 2007
"The nigerian one I watched was about a spoilt daughter who was interested in driving her mercedes."

Balogun, do you happen to remember the name of that movie?

(Note: I've also sent you an email asking the same question).
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by cariby(f): 7:31pm On Mar 19, 2007
There are pple who enjoy watching ''Nigeria Movies'' it's a pity that the producers and directors are not willing (or ready) to push themselves to achieve a good quality production
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by liberia(f): 1:14am On Mar 23, 2007
of course they dont. why are you suprised. we cant even understand ya'll.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by omogenaija(f): 3:06am On Mar 23, 2007
*shakes head*
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by cariby(f): 9:27pm On Mar 24, 2007
well it's  obvious care more about the money they make, than of the quality of the 'MOVIES' they put out, I wonder when they'll start taking pride in their job and deliver quality instead of quantity, soon I hope!.

Yes, they've done a good thing by single handedly creating awareness of the naija movies internationally(without funding of any kind) but they should leave the ''Baby Stage'' behind, take advantage of the technology that's available now, be more imaginative n creative,keep abreast by studying what other Film makers are doing and try to bettter them!. like i said hopefully soon.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by labiyemmy(m): 7:17pm On Apr 07, 2008
they cant watch it because the accent will be too difficult for them to understand. Dont you get it? Most of them find it hard to pick the Nigerian accent and it just becomes boring watching a movie you dont understand half the thing they are saying.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by wankenoby(m): 3:43pm On Apr 09, 2008
It baffles me how some folks defend Nigeria Movie Industry trying to convince us that it is still at its infancy. That is absolute crap.I'm sure you can come up with a better excuse.You should go back and watch the old "Things Fall Apart" starring Pete Edochie and compare the storyline with our modern movies. The truth is that Nigeria movie industry does not want to learn.They still use the same outdated special effects and the same storyline.Let the truth be told, Nigerian movies are very poor.All you need to know is the title and the rest of the story can be predicted.You do not need to be a director to spot the flaws, not two but so many.The action movies are so pathetic,I suggest they stick to the one they do best,Romance.I think its time the producers start making good movies with rich stories.The criticisms are meant to make them change.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by laram: 6:59pm On May 18, 2009
omg every single one of u are fools i am disappointed totally disappointed was Rome built in a Day and for Ur info their movies are progressin if onli u culd keep up u think holiwood stared in a couple of years and became great hell no u develop as u move on no they r not for people wit a low IQ if u all knoe so much den u do da job u be the actor director producer u do all of it. yes there are good movies ad a couple of bad ones jus same as hollywood they have their bad and good so think yh foolish animals abt dissin nigeria movies. da only reason u like hollywood most of you is becos of their tricks too much tricks most of it can Neva happen. all i can say is between holiwood nd nollywood i will watch nollywood anyday
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 19, 2009
Can u blame them Americans?? Even a lot of us here don't see anytin to watch in their stupidly put together plots, terrible plots, costumes and the crap they call acting. it makes u wonder "Where do most nigerian movie directors put their brains when making a movie home video"
I don watch one wey the mic(wt that black fluffy covering) dey show for right top corner of the screen. Don't the makers watch there own productions before putting out!! tongue silly Nigerian movies!!!
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by ekusman(m): 12:22am On May 27, 2009
THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER  THAN THESE GUYS? PROVE YOURSELF AND STOP CRITICIZING THEM. JOIN THESE NEW  GUYS  WHO ARE COMING OUT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE LONG LIVE NOLLYWOOD www.de-starsplayhouse..com.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by edogram1(m): 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2009
nigeria firm are rubbish.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by davidif: 11:51pm On Jun 25, 2009
men americans  watch nigerian movies
even more than nigerians believe it or not
itz true besides even if they don't itz no big
deal they are americans in america and some do
not really have the access like we nigerians do
but man they really watch nigerian movies
BELIEVE ME

@oracle
Look at this one, you don go america before?? how many americans even know whether Africans have television sets talkless of making movies?
Even there are americans who watch naija movies, then they are very few maybe like 0.00000000000001% so you guys keep decieving yourselves.
Re: Americans Don't Watch Nigerian Movies? by iice(f): 2:52am On Jun 26, 2009
I'm nigerian and i don't even watch them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Afrocandy's Destructive Instinct Full Movie Now On Sale. Says She Is A Proud Mum / Yvonne Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!")

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.