Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s Port And Custom Service Of ‘bribery And Forg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s Port And Custom Service Of ‘bribery And Forg (744 Views)

World Female Leaders Wear Veil, It Is A Sign Of Respect For Religion And Custom / UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s ‘customs Of Corruption, Bribery And Forgery’ / Investigation: Nigeria's Bank Verification Number, BVN, Exposes Gargantuan Corru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s Port And Custom Service Of ‘bribery And Forg by shosilva: 11:14am On Jan 03, 2016
For nine straight working days in December, ‘Fisayo Soyombo, editor of TheCable, disguised his appearance – first as a hungry, hapless job seeker; later as a trainee clearing agent; and finally as an intending importer of cars, computers and Italian suits and shoes – to penetrate into the importing and clearing ring at the Nigeria Customs Service.

Presented in this comprehensive reporter’s diary, his findings reveal series of sharp practices involving men of the service, other border and security agencies, the clearing agents, and banks – leading to massive short-changing of government revenue.

They also underline the scale of work required to purify an agency that is arguably the armpit of corruption in the most populous black nation. It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God. Sourced from two different chapters and verses (Mark 10:25 and Matthew 19:24) in the Christians’ holy book, the Bible, this quotation is one of the most popular pastoral tools for summarizing the vanity of wealth – and life.

But nothing better captures the secrecy shrouding business activities at the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) than a parody of this saying: it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for anyone to enter into the Apapa premises of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA).

Before setting out for Apapa, which houses the largest and busiest seaport in Nigeria, and is one of the most horrendous traffic-gridlock zones in the densely populated city of Lagos, I had been warned by everyone who knew something about the ports that I would be unable to enter. Still, on Monday, December 14, 2015, I arrived Apapa in the company of my one-day guide who knew the area so well and graciously offered to help with navigating opening-day impediments.

Much of the first day’s work was to revolve round securing temporary accommodation in Apapa pending the conclusion of the assignment – this didn’t happen, by the way – and general surveying operations around the port

After the failed attempt to secure accommodation, my guide and I proceeded to the Apapa ports, where we were to study the inflow and outflow of articulated vehicles, the conduct of uniformed men, the transactional conversations of clearing agents and the touting drive of document forgers. In three hours, we were done with the last three, and it was time to move closer to the port entrance to get a closer picture of business.

Although we had been informed that this was a period of low business, we counted the entry of at least five articulated vehicles in a minute, translating to an estimated average of 300 vehicles in an hour!

We were standing some 50metres off the gate and had barely been there for five minutes when a policeman walked westward towards our direction. “Yes, what are you doing here?” he says in a brusque, brisk tone. “What exactly do you want”? “We’re waiting for a phone call, sir,” I reply. “Move over there,” he barks. “This is a restricted zone.” Our work was over for the day, apparently; but as we retreated, I looked out for the badge on his uniform. Odion Ohiro, it read.

http://shosilva.com/2016/01/03/undercover-investigation-nigerias-port-and-custom-service-of-bribery-and-forgery/

Re: UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s Port And Custom Service Of ‘bribery And Forg by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 03, 2016
kiss
Re: UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION: Nigeria’s Port And Custom Service Of ‘bribery And Forg by DaBullIT(m): 11:40am On Jan 03, 2016
#TryantBuhari your so called body odour is shaking the country

Even Koro don run

Tuale #TryantBuhari

(1) (Reply)

PIC:Memo Stopping Police Officers From Indiscriminately Checking Citizens Phones / Over 3000 Pardoned Soldiers Reject Redeployment To North-east. / My Take On Lagos State Shops Demolition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.