Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

"Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara (4706 Views)

MTEF, 2017 Budget: Why NASS Is Angry With Buhari / Speaker Yakubu Dogara Visits Bauchi (photos) / Caption This Photo Of House Of Reps Speaker, Yakubu Dogara In Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by JumiR: 9:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
By JUMI RHODES

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara has clarified issues on the National Assembly's(NASS) inclusion in the Treasury Single Account(TSA) policy. Recall Senate spokesman and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Media and Publicity, Senator Aliu Saabi Abdullahi had explained the rejection of the TSA by the National Assembly that "fears that the adoption could frustrate the smooth functioning of the National Assembly led to the decision to outrightly reject its extension to the country’s apex law making body."

Hon. Yakubu Dogara however in a series of tweet-chat earlier today said: "As for Revenue all NASS receipts go to TSA. We are part of it. Get the arguments right. We are part of TSA but opposed to Executive control of NASS, Judiciary and INEC except as the Constitution allows. Arms of government such as NASS and Judiciary just to distinguish them from MDAs. Think outside the constitution and our laws?

"Nigeria is a Democracy not an Empire. This should be the ideal position or we create an Agency that is independent of all arms of Govt to manage the TSA.I will defend the constitution. My first duty is to ask what does the law say about any issue. NASS has always stood for TSA. I am a lawmaker. You won't win if you tell me to be against the law. In line with that NASS will remain strong and unshaken in defending the Constitution and democratic norms cum ethos."

When Sahara Reporters tweeted a question on the prompting of Senate president and Speaker Dogara's refusal to join the Treasury Single Account, Dogara replied: "PMB may have good intentions and may not want to manipulate NASS, Judiciary or INEC, but who knows the future?"

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by lycann(m): 9:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
hmm....
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by LordMecuzy(m): 9:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
I'm confused
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Bevista: 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
Get the arguments right. We are part of TSA but opposed to Executive control of NASS, Judiciary and INEC except as the Constitution allows.
Well said Mr. Dogara.
---
On other matters, the current FX policy is the most hypocritical policy yet by this administration. A government that is practically forcing everyone else to stop importing is, however, very comfortable to allocate over $18m (N3.6bn) to import foreign (BMW) cars.

Why not lead by example and patronize locally made Innoson cars. If you have quality and safety concerns there, why not atleast, patronize locally assembled foreign cars like Peugeot, Hyundai, etc.

8 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Psalm18: 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Impressive. Dogara seems to be his own man.
That said its easier to be your own man when you don't have corruption case hanging over your head like Saraki.

On separation of powers, Buhari has demonstrated so far he respect the Constitution. Except in the issues of dasuki and kanu.
In his closed door meeting with the lawmakers, he has to appeal to their sense of patriotism or veto the budget if they insist on allocating stupid money for themselves.

We must continue to champion our Constitution above personality. We must not turn Buhari into a demigod.
That's what a few people did and Obasanjo started manipulating for third term.

The danger of the executive managing the funds of the National assembly or the judiciary is that a President may punish them as he desires like Obj tried withholding Lagos state budget when Tinubu was governor.
Never again.

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Achuwa1(m): 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
The money allocated to the na & judiciary should not be channeled to the tsa coz they are a different arm of govt
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by ifelovemi: 9:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
This is a step in the right direction. What we should now focus on is to ensure the legislature, judiciary and all other autonomous entity open up their books for public scrutiny, by enforcing our right to freedom of information.

Like Dogara said we should not because buhari is sincere now to assume everybody that will come after him will be , and thank God all this bodies are not revenue generating, so for me is a win win for the masses.
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by rusher14: 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
One question:

Why does the Judiciary, the third arm of government get such a low budget year after year?
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by modath(f): 10:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
rusher14:
One question:

Why does the Judiciary, the third arm of government get such a low budget year after year?

Probably cos they are ;

1. Perpetual & eternal leeches who are assured of a lifetime of emoluments .

2. It is a known fact that they make 100x their wages by manipulating the laws to suit corrupt individuals & sell “ex parte" orders & black market injunctions like akara cheesy grin

Just kidding, I'm baffled too.

4 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 10:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
Psalm18:
or veto the budget if they insist on allocating stupid money for themselves.

Never again.

You are funny.

How can Buhari criple his government because other organs of government refused to be his puppet?

Buhari owes GEJ much gratitude for his veto on the constitutional amendment that would've rendered him powerless

2 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Psalm18: 10:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

You are funny.

How can Buhari criple his government because other organs of government refusal to be his puppet?

Buhari owes GEJ much gratitude for his veto on the constitutional amendment that would've rendered him powerless
Did you read the part where I mentioned he should try and speak sense to them during his closed door meeting. He has lots of goodwill from majority of Nigerians and the national Assembly wouldnt want to be seen to go against public opinion.

Failing to do that, then a standoff. Which I hope it does not come to.

It was a positive Jonathan retained power of veto for the executive. I agree with you on that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 10:29pm On Jan 03, 2016
Psalm18:

Did you read the part where I mentioned he should try and speak sense to them during his closed door meeting. He has lots of goodwill from majority of Nigerians and the national Assembly wouldnt want to be seen to go against public opinion.

Failing to do that, then a standoff. Which I hope it does not come to.

It was a positive Jonathan retained power of veto for the executive. I agree with you on that.

The bone of contention here is not the TSA itself rather who controls the system.

The Legislature and Judiciary are clamouring for an independent agency free from one sided (domineering) influence of the executive to control the system as to ensure and maintain a strong independence for the three organs of democratic governance.

I hope you understand the discourse
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Psalm18: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

The bone of contention here is not the TSA itself rather who controls the system.

The Legislature and Judiciary are clamouring for an independent agency free from any superior influence of the executive to control the system as to ensure and maintain a strong independence of the three organs of democratic governance.

I hope you understand the discourse

You cherry picked my earlier post and drew my attention to only one aspect(veto)when I addressed the control of tsa vis a vis the budget, separation of powers and rule of law.

Edit: cheers IsraeliAirforce

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
They know that with TSA it will be difficult for the goats to eat any yam without being traced. I urge the President not to give in to these fraudsters in NASS.

3 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Psalm18:

You cherry picked my earlier post and drew my attention to only one aspect(veto)when I addressed the control of tsa vis a vis the budget, separation of powers and rule of law.
I hope you can read and comprehend.

Now I understand you better after going through the last paragraph of your first submission.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Grundig: 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
Dogara comes across an intelligent man. He is one of the few politicians I geninelyt like.

ON the issue of TSA, I will disgaree with him cos of people like saraki. If given free hand, saraki and his goons will dip their hands in the cookie jar at will.

3 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by fistonati(m): 11:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
Both parties must respect the constitution, but i dont understand the so-called cars that NASS often buy as if its freee as listening to Radio station

NASS are found of wasting our national financial resources and it must stop ASAP

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Grundig:
Dogara comes across an intelligent man. He is one of the few politicians I geninelyt like.

ON the issue of TSA, I will disgaree with him cos of people like saraki. If given free hand, saraki and his goons will dip their hands in the cookie jar at will.

We are discussing institutions of government and their independence, not personalities who are disposable.

Democracy is dependent on strong institutions and not on individuals who may turn out to abuse the process.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by HzRF(m): 11:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
They know that with TSA it will be difficult for the goats to eat any yam without being traced. I urge the President not to give in to these fraudsters in NASS.

What are you saying

NNPC is not even part of it

And the only usefulness of TSA is that all unused money sitting idle in banks are recovered

Most of these agencies steals before coming out with statements of account

Not to talk of surrending the funds to someone already displaying tyranncy, he will just one day tell his image launders nd career praise singers to release statement to the public that the reason NASS is not getting funds is because he has the interest of Nigeria at heart

ND they don't even deserve it

4 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by appini: 12:21am On Jan 04, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

We are discussing institutions of government and their independence, not personalities who are disposable.

Democracy is dependent on strong institutions and not on individuals who may turn out to abuse the process.

Bravo

2 Likes

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by omowolewa: 4:08am On Jan 04, 2016
There are ways to make TSA work for each arms and tirs of government.

All expenses are budgeted for and when its within the limits of the budget, NA gets it share within TSA.

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by tabpho111: 4:10am On Jan 04, 2016
Even if the TSA has its own disadvantages, NASS ll alwz want to put their selfish interest first...... Whateva ll not benefit them, is not good for Nigerians and therefore shld be stopped...
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Blackfire(m): 6:54am On Jan 04, 2016
To me is all about who will arrange the yam (money) between the sheep(buhari/FG) and the goat(NASS) away from each others grip.

*winks*
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by smsshola(m): 7:04am On Jan 04, 2016
Awon Ole giving excuse since 1870....
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Nkemtreasure: 7:10am On Jan 04, 2016
@Psalm81 & ISRAELIAIRFORCE, nice argument without insults. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by BALLOSKI: 7:28am On Jan 04, 2016
This is where 'standing-on-the-fence' status maintained by BUHARI during the election of principal officers of NASS was a miscalculation; you can see that these pdp agents in Apc are not in sync with BUHARI on many issues. First , it was purchase of cars, now it's TSA. I hope they don't frustrate his budget and it's implementation.
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by jonagaga(m): 7:29am On Jan 04, 2016
doqara leave trash for lawma abeg

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by BALLOSKI: 7:30am On Jan 04, 2016
Bevista:
Well said Mr. Dogara.
---
On other matters, the current FX policy is the most hypocritical policy yet by this administration. A government that is practically forcing everyone else to stop importing is, however, very comfortable to allocate over $18m (N3.6bn) to import foreign (BMW) cars.

Why not lead by example and patronize locally made Innoson cars. If you have quality and safety concerns there, why not atleast, patronize locally assembled foreign cars like Peugeot, Hyundai, etc.
you believe that 3.6 billion story?
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by BALLOSKI: 7:32am On Jan 04, 2016

"As for Revenue all NASS receipts go to TSA.

I want to ask, how do they generate their own revenue pls? undecided
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by ckmayoca: 7:38am On Jan 04, 2016
"PMB may have good intentions and may not want to manipulate NASS, Judiciary or INEC, but who knows the future?"

To my own interpretation cld this be shld in case baba dies and the lagos kingkong take over will the account be safe?
Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by Bevista: 7:55am On Jan 04, 2016
BALLOSKI:
you believe that 3.6 billion story?
First and foremost, the story was carried by major tabloids, particularly The Nation newspaper.

Secondly, the government has not refuted the story.

Finally, though I did not watch the presidential media chat, I am told that the president was confronted with the issue and his explanation was that the cars are not part of his official fleet but statutory purchases for use to carry foreign Heads of States.

1 Like

Re: "Why NASS Won't Allow President Buhari Decide On TSA" - Speaker Yakubu Dogara by tuniski: 8:12am On Jan 04, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
no TSA is a lazy brain accounting and doesn't do more than curtailing 1st Line goat eating yams. Corruption takes forms and tackling it must assumed similar forms too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Country Will Be Africa’s First Great Power? / CCTV Footage That Exposed The Military Invasion Of Barrister Ejiofor's House / APC Elections: 12 States Cast Their Votes So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.