Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church (24819 Views)

Names Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre Released / Nigerian Congregation In London Rejects Pastor Asks Him To Leave The Church / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 04, 2016
If someone had told me i will be making a life changing decision like this many years ago i would have been enraged, not at he or she but at the force that would dare cause that.

Was born a catholic, baptised by a priest and cofirmed by the state bishop. I annexed to this by becoming a member of the legion of mary (tho left at one time) i was still faithful to the blessed virgin mary with my bead ritual.

The truth is i only had to do this and that and then the other and relax. By relax, i mean do what ever i wanted. Club, have sex, drink, curse, lie, cheat, disobey other authorities, go nude etc as long as i came back for confession all the time and obtained mercy from God through the priest, i was fine. Maybe they didnt think it was fine i.e my lifestyle but the silence and indifference they showed, gave me the wrongest impression. After all i was always encouraged to go for confession like my life was hanging on it.

This is something that all catholics will understand. After confession we feel a bit unburdened with guilt...for a while. I dont know about others, but mine was not always more than an hour and i would be back to square one (or may be i never left there but thought i did). I was not freaky about the sunday communion thing like others cos i didnt think i was worthy.

Going to the university exposed me to other religious groups. I didn't like the way they shouted while praying but i admired the way they reverred the bible and talked about Christ more.
I thought the catholic church was doing little in the teaching of biblical truths but was still a good model for other churches, mushroom churches.

There were times i made resolutions to turn a new leaf but they always never came to a fruition.
Up till now. I couldn't, i cant keep them. All the rules of right living get lost on me. I just cant change. Talked with our priest every day about this after our doctrinal classes (joined the Opus dei) He suggested i read books of saints who had lived and overcame evil and of course by following the many laid down rules and rituals of the church. I read about mother Theresa, Pope John Paul the II, Saint José maria. Still nothing. It only made me feel unworthy but no power in them.

I decided to read the bible at last after so many procrastinations. I started with John and i have not seen any slight resemblance with the Church. I will continue with Matthew, Mark and Luke this month.

So many things in this old boring book are startling me. embarassed

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Luizkid(m): 8:59am On Jan 04, 2016
lol.. old boring book abi
the tin is once exposed, expecially afta uni, its always difficult to turn back to the catholic ways
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Atlantian: 9:35am On Jan 04, 2016
It's time for the awakening. You have graduated from Christianity, the most liberal religion on earth and by far the best modern religion. Now its time for you try Science & Technology, the factual religion.

You can start with "Spirit Science".

4 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by JOACHINpedro: 9:46am On Jan 04, 2016
My dear,the truth is that some priests don't know what they are doing,instead of increasing ones faith in God,they rather confuse u the more... I used to feel the same way until our priest that made most parishioners change to another denomination was transfered... The new priest was indeed fire... He won more souls to God...clarified the whole thing about how to make a good confession and the saints... I concluded that some priest are after the Cars,offerings and Mansions that wil b awarded to them. So my dear, 90.5% of catholics dnt knw hw to make a GOOD CONFESSION. Since you truely want to encounter christ... i wil equally support ur notion to leave the church b4 ur faith is damaged beyond repair.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by plaetton: 10:27am On Jan 04, 2016
My advice is that once you leave the Catholic church to seek religious meaning elsewhere, you will never find it.
Pentecostalism offers you candies and Titilates your basest human natures, your needs, your base desires, your fears.

Thereafter, you will begin to equate spiritual growth with personal accumulation.

I have not seen anyone, and there are many, who have left the Catholic, Methodist or Anglican churches, for spiritual greener pastures show or display any mental or social improvement in their lives.

For most, it just like jumping from frying pan to fire, or from liberating yourself from one form of mental slavery to a more pernicious one.

What you , like many others, suffer is a crisis of meaning.

The bottom line is ; if you haven't found meaning in one religion or sect, you will not find it in any .

Try philosophy.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by bxcode(m): 10:47am On Jan 04, 2016
plaetton:
My advice is that once you leave the Catholic church to seek religious meaning elsewhere, you will never find it.
Pentecostalism offers you candies and Titilates your basest human natures, your needs, your base desires, your fears.

Thereafter, you will begin to equate spiritual growth with personal accumulation.

I have not seen anyone, and there are many, who have left the Catholic, Methodist or Anglican churches, for spiritual greener pastures show or display any mental or social improvement in their lives.

For most, it just like jumping from frying pan to fire, or from liberating yourself from one form of mental slavery to a more pernicious one.

The bottom line is ; if you haven't found meaning in one religion or sect, you will not find it in any .

Try philosophy.
She should try Jesus Christ and not philosophy.
Thank God the holy spirit is already leading her to the path of truth.
Op, keep seeking God through his word, you will find him.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 04, 2016
Luizkid:
lol.. old boring book abi
the tin is once exposed, expecially afta uni, its always difficult to turn back to the catholic ways
Probably. But the catholic church still has the highest population. Can all these people be wrong?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 10:52am On Jan 04, 2016
Atlantian:
It's time for the awakening. You have graduated from Christianity, the most liberal religion on earth and by far the best modern religion. Now its time for you try Science & Technology, the factual religion.

Spirit science
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by bxcode(m): 10:57am On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:
Probably. But the catholic church still has the highest population. Can all these people be wrong?
Yea. Even the whole world may be wrong when it comes to God's standard. Romans 3vs4: Yea let God be true and every man a liar.
Keep reading, you will discover more truth with the help of the holy spirit.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by plaetton: 11:04am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

Lol.
Nigeria is a country where lots of people have found Jeezeus ?
Right?

Figures. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 04, 2016
plaetton:

Try philosophy.

I like the part where you said others equate spiritual growth with personal accumulation.

Since i started reading JOHN the JESUS CHRIST ive seen so far is nothing like what i have ever heard. He is not some father christmas or a slave to none but the head and decider of every one's fate. I've not seen any where (and dont think i will see any) where spiritual growth is the same as personal enrichment.

Maybe you have a problem with wrong practise of Christianity.

I strongly believe truth is out there, philosophy only keeps you in uncertainty.

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

Yea. Even the whole world may be wrong when it comes to God's standard. Romans 3vs4: Yea let God be true and every man a liar.
Keep reading, you will discover more truth with the help of the holy spirit.

I think i will take this advice. I feel so cut off from the church. Do you think i should see another priest?

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by shumax: 11:13am On Jan 04, 2016
Someone once said, i cant remember where i got it from that if we depended on the parishioners we meet in church we would never be good Catholics, but the beautiful thing about the church is that it's 2000 years history has provided resources that can help develop and strengthen us, Please before you leave take a few weeks out to read the catechism, they are so many information online about how to live the christian life as a catholic, start by studying how to understand and appreciate the sacraments from there you would discover other resources to help you grow.
About 10 years ago i was in a similar state like you, maybe i didn't do most of the naughty things you've mentioned, but i had a few sins i was dealing with, i was in the university then too, i visted a few churches considered changing too but i also discovered a strong catholic spiritual advise, i was encouraged to attend mass regularly go to confession often it would surprise you I even went to confession at least 3 times a week Prayed the rosary often read the scriptures in the light of the church. You wont believe I overcame all those sins, i am no saint and i got my little fault here and there, but i largely by the help of God's grace in the sacrament overcame.
I had a big challenge because i loved and enjoyed the fellowship and the fun in Pentecostal settings but the moment i fully understood what happens in the mass, i wasn't giving it up for anything
Please don't give up on the church.
How do I get through to you

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 11:14am On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:
If someone had told be i will be making a life changing decision like this many years ago i would have been enraged, not at he or she but at the force that would dare cause that.

Was born a catholic, baptised by a priest and cofirmed by the state bishop. I annexed to this by becoming a member of the legion of mary (tho left at one time) i was still faithful to the blessed virgin mary with my bead ritual.

The truth is i only had to do this and that and then the other and relax. By relax, i mean do what ever i wanted. Club, have sex, drink, curse, lie, cheat, disobey other authorities, go nude etc as long as i came back for confession all the time and obtained mercy from God through the priest, i was fine. Maybe they didnt think it was fine i.e my lifestyle but the silence and indifference they showed, gave me the wrongest impression. After all i was always encouraged to go for confession like my life was hanging on it.

This is something that all catholics will understand. After confession we feel a bit unburdened with guilt...for a while. I dont know about others, but mine was not always more than an hour and i would be back to square one (or may be i never left there but thought i did). I was not freaky about the sunday communion thing like others cos i didnt think i was worthy.

Going to the university exposed me to other religious groups. I didn't like the way they shouted while praying but i admired the way they reverred the bible and talked about Christ more.
I thought the catholic church was doing little in the teaching of biblical truths but was still a good model for other churches, mushroom churches.

There were times i made resolutions to turn a new leaf but they always never came to a fruition.
Up till now. I couldn't, i cant keep them. All the rules of right living get lost on me. I just cant change. Talked with our priest every day about this after our doctrinal classes (joined the Opus dei) He suggested i read books of saints who had lived and overcame evil and of course by following the many laid down rules and rituals of the church. I read about mother Theresa, Pope John Paul the II, Saint José maria. Still nothing. It only made me feel unworthy but no power in them.

I decided to read the bible at last after so many procrastinations. I started with John and i have not seen any slight resemblance with the Church. I will continue with Matthew, Mark and Luke this month.

So many things in this old boring book are startling me. embarassed

The only way to know if something is right or wrong is to contemplate what the society will be if everyone did it. Health and longevity is another factor that should rule our sexual and dietary life. The bible or religion will only get you more confused. How are you even sure the church you want to change to is better? Religion is out for two things; inciting people against one another and money. If you really want to live a decent healthy life consider your partying and drinking; they make you more miserable. Consider your nudity; it makes people call you a slut. Consider your lies; it takes great effort to tell lies. Consider gluttony; it deteriorates your health. Then consider sex with it's tendency of diseases, unwanted pregnancy and heartbreaks. It's not religion that that made these pros and cons. It's there and no priest can take them away. It's your choice. No church can make you change your mind.

12 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

Yes !
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

The only way to know if something is right or wrong is to contemplate what the society will be if everyone did it. Health and longevity is another factor that should rule our sexual and dietary life. The bible or religion will only get you more confused. How are you even sure the church you want to change to is better? Religion is out for two things; inciting people against one another and money. If you really want to live a decent healthy life consider your partying and drinking; they make you more miserable. Consider your nudity; it makes people call you a slut. Consider your lies; it takes great effort to tell lies. Consider gluttony; it deteriorates your health. Then consider sex with it's tendency of diseases, unwanted pregnancy and heartbreaks. It's not religion that that made these pros and cons. It's there and no priest can take them away. It's your choice. No church can make you change your mind.

You are not making any sense . Well , that's what atheism offers someone - no hope , no love ,no truth about life

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:29am On Jan 04, 2016
Atlantian:

Do any one of you guys dare make any sense at all How can science and technology solve her spiritual problems or take away the burden of guilt in her life
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 11:30am On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are not making any sense . Well , that's what atheism offers someone - no hope , no love ,no truth about life
Really? The girl is crying that her church has failed to make her a better person. Which church will be better for her? Please suggest let me see if that church will not be worse than catholic church. Maybe you'll make sense than my nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:30am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

Thank You . Speechless3 needs to to heed to this advice

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dalaman: 11:33am On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Does Nigeria with its over 170 million theist(majority of which are christians and muslims) resemble a country where there is hope, love and truth about life? Why do you keep spewing thrash daily? When will you have sense my brother, we are in 2016 ooo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by bxcode(m): 11:34am On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

I think i will take this advice. I feel so cut off from the church. Do you think i should see another priest?
I wouldn't want to sound as if am against Catholics but the one thing am sure of is that the truth about God and Christianity without hypocrisy is in the bible and you don't need anyone to reveal the deep things of God to you. You can know him on your own and have a personal relationship with him.
Check out the what Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4 : 19-24.
Feed on his word and you can then go back in meekness and humility and ask your priests questions on things bothering your doctrine with what the bible actually says.
The spirit of the living God will guide you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:34am On Jan 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

Really? The girl is crying that her church has failed to make her a better person. Which church will be better for her? Please suggest let me see if that church will not be worse than catholic church. Maybe you'll make sense than my nonsense.

Yeah ! That's what the Catholic Church gets you , the church is facing an exodus in every part of the continent . There are great bible teaching Churches : The Lord's Chosen , Deeper Life , The Living Faith and some other good ones . I suggest she goes to these three if she she wants her problems solved though .

1 Like

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dalaman: 11:37am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

I wouldn't want to sound as if am against Catholics but the one thing am sure of is that the truth about God and Christianity without hypocrisy is in the bible and you don't need anyone to reveal the deep things of God to you. You can know him on your own and have a personal relationship with him.
Check out the what Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4 : 19-24.
Feed on his word and you can then go back in meekness and humility and ask your priests questions on things bothering your doctrine with what the bible actually says.
The spirit of the living God will guide you.

There is nothing like knowing God on your own through the bible, it is a big lie. If I bring a bible verse to you and bring another christian who is a genuine believer, chances are very high that the two of you will interpret the verse or story differently. That is exactly why we have so many different sects and denominations within the christian religion, because everything all boils down to personal interpretations.

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2016
dalaman:

Does Nigeria with its over 170 million theist(majority of which are christians and muslims) resemble a country where there is hope, love and truth about life? Why do you keep spewing thrash daily? When will you have sense my brother, we are in 2016 ooo.

How many are Catholics and how many are muslims - 87 percent and there are traditional worshippers . Pentecostal churches can boast of 10-12 million of the total population .

I'm not a bigot and hopefully you are smart enough to deduce my point from the statement above
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dalaman: 11:40am On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yeah ! That's what the Catholic Church gets you , the church is facing an exodus in every part of the continent . There are great bible teaching Churches : The Lord's Chosen , Deeper Life , The Living Faith and some other good ones . I suggest she goes to these three if she she wants her problems solved though .

Oga plaetton, see the list of names our man dropped as great bible teaching churches.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 11:42am On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Good suggestions. Why won't the three churches you mentioned come together in the love of Christ and form one church? Because they will be on each other's juggler over money before long like the Assemblies of God church drama. By the way is it not Lord's Chosen accused of fake miracles? Is it not Deeper Life that asked their people not to use TV but the children of G.O are partying in USA? Is it not Living Faith that built mega universities with tax I mean tithe payers money but their children can't afford it?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by bxcode(m): 11:42am On Jan 04, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.
Nigeria is a country where lots of people have found Jeezeus ?
Right?

Figures. undecided
Bro, lemme ask you this, Imagine a son who rejects his father's fine upbringing and leaves home to live a corrupt life which the father does not approve but yet he allows him to make the choice. Will you rightfully conclude that the son had a bad father if you meet him?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:43am On Jan 04, 2016
dalaman:

Oga plaetton, see the list of names our man dropped as great bible teaching churches.

Its a fact . Ive been to these three churches . I told plaetton that its so easy to refute the BS he spews in the name of biblical fallibles . So so easy .
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dalaman: 11:44am On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How many are Catholics and how many are muslims - 87 percent and there are traditional worshippers . Pentecostal churches can boast of 10-12 million of the total population .

I'm not a bigot and hopefully you are smart enough to deduce my point from the statement above

Pentecostal christians are are 10-12 million in Nigeria? Why must you keep talking thrash always? There are about 170 million people living in Nigeria out of which at least 80 million by the most conservative estimates are christians. Are you saying that catholics are over 65 million in Nigeria(over 70 percent of the christian population)? We are in 2016 please try and have sense.

4 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dalaman: 11:46am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

Bro, lemme ask you this, Imagine a son who rejects his father's fine upbringing and leaves home to live a corrupt life which the father does not approve but yet he allows him to make the choice. Will you rightfully conclude that the son had a bad father if you meet him?

Give me an example of a good christian society you know and lets compare it with any non christian society we also know.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by plaetton: 11:47am On Jan 04, 2016
bxcode:

So you think Nigeria is a failed state because Nigerians are bad Christians or that Christianity in Nigeria helps create bad people?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:49am On Jan 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

Good suggestions. Why won't the three churches you mentioned come together in the love of Christ and form one church? Because they will be on each other's juggler over money before long like the Assemblies of God church drama. By the way is it not Lord's Chosen accused of fake miracles? Is it not Deeper Life that asked their people not to use TV but the children of G.O are partying in USA? Is it not Living Faith that built mega universities with tax I mean tithe payers money but their children can't afford it?

Even Judas was among the 12 . THe bible told us of the wheat and tares . Fake Miracles ? Lol . I received miracles countless number of times , as a member of the Church . I've seen miracles happen right there .

Stop talking nonesense , no one forces any one to pay tithe . The man has been a man of God for close to 30 years . Where were the accusations when he owned very little . When God decides to bless someone ; trouble , if a christian is poor ; mockery ensues . grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Serious About Your Spiritual Life? Then You Need To Read This! / Pastor Wiseman Delivers Lady Who Was Caught Stealing In Benue, Gift Her 250k / Why Do We Pray With Candle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.