Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,362 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. (25104 Views)

Photo: Apc Church Now In Aba / Kumuyi - Why The Church Is Called Deeper Christian Life Ministry - / Why Do Youths Run Away From Deeper Life Bible Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Ezniteadin(m): 1:49pm On May 04, 2011
I used to attend Deeper-Life, I can say without Mincing words since 1979, at that time, I was Just 7 Years old. Then W. F Kumuyi was running the Bible Study From Oyingbo in Lagos, most people were really Ignorant of the Bible and so was I, what do you expect from a 7years old Child who was at the time under the care of an Illiterate mother who had become so fascinated by the new Christian Life taught by Deeper Life and compared to the Aladuara Congregation where the Husband was then a pastor, She was converted by the Conviction of the Holy Ghost after mocking a woman who was Preaching in a “Molue” Bus in Lagos, According to her testimony, she got back home and was pricked, a thought kept ringing in her mind that “You are on your way to Hell” she said for what “Laughing”? she recalled, and was under a severe torture until she went to a sister around town who already knew what it meant to be born again, The Sister who was at the time a nurse, Led her to the Lord after ministering salvation message to her and she became Born again. She put so many things behind her after Being Born again,
There was an obvious transformation in the life of my mother who used to be a troublesome woman in the community, there was a story before her conversion, how she fought two men on a boat where she was then selling “Filling Sand” and her mien was intimidating for any man to dare talk less of a woman, Mum after conversion was as gentle as a lamb, she would hardly respond to anyone who tickle her for some kind of trouble, She was not educated, but for her interest in the thing of God, She learned to read the Bible through a miraculous teaching by God. In those days of her ministerial life, I remembered that she eventually started the Yoruba “House Fellowship” with some strong members In the Area where she was living at the time, she led some Muslim Sisters to the Lord Jesus and several of unsaved people in her community, One of the Muslim sister is presently a mighty minister of the Gospel.
Because of the evident power of God manifested in her life, Parents who were fearful of the pronouncement of death on their Children came to our house and were prayed for by mum and their kids will live, she prayed for the sick and they recovered, our last born was restored back to life by her prayers after being dead and a lady who was attacked by witchcraft was prayed for and a head that was turned backward against nature returned to normal through the Power of prayer and faith in the name of Jesus. There were lots of miracle and evidence of God’s presence in our house.
I was a stubborn child growing up like some other kids, there was a particular case of theft which I remembered committed by me and when asked, I denied it, but mum just looked all her kids in the face and said, “The Lord will reveal it” That was all she said and we went about our business. In the Night of that incident she woke us all up and called me, she started to narrate the incident and how I entered the house and took the item, she narrated it to the point of telling what dropped when the act was commuted, I started to cry, I was shocked because I was sure that I was the only one at home when the crime was done, I wondered how she got wind of it. God showed up that night in a dream and told my mother everything and how it went.
That was the last time for lies as far as relating with my mum was concerned
There were several testimonies of God’s power in the lives of people who sincerely gave their lives to the lord Jesus
There was a lot of love at the time, Christian were Christians and the marks (Fruit) were evident by a genuine conversation, PA Josiah Akindayomi was still alive and Redeem had countable Churches in the city of Lagos, we were confined to Deeper Life Teachings and prayer, I grew up to be fascinated by W. F Kumuyi’s insight into scriptural truths at the time, I was young but had an open mind for good guiding information, the only one I was exposed to was that of Deeper Life until I started on my own to find out other sources of explanation to Christianity.
It was the days when lots of influences were coming into Nigeria from the outside world, some people believed they can get the attention of God by Living “Holy”, others are of the opinion that “Praise Worship” is the style of bringing down the glory of God, there were those who chose to be “International” neglecting their originality, so you will find someone who copies American preachers who were constantly selling idea to upcoming preachers, There were “Kenneth Haggin” who majored on Faith, Benny Hinns, whose Operation was the Miraculous, “Shamback” and a host of others. The influences were more
The Bible was a Yardstick of measuring anyone, But I realized that people have different insight to the truth in the Bible. Looking back now, there are many things that can drive a man into the Ministry (God’s work) when a man is driven by sincerity, it pays better, he might make mistakes because we do not know it all, yet sincerity will help him to find his feet and will drive him to correcting the mistakes.
Deeper Life focused on Righteousness and Holiness at that time, the impact was so much that as soon as an individual becomes a member of Deeper Life, He or she is marked by certain Do’s and don’ts, “we would not do this, we would not do that,” and so many things that marked members of deeper life out in the crowd, the lifestyle were offensive to so many people, some of the members were denied of certain rights others deny themselves so as to please God. W.F kumuyi’s messages were compelling and so were the messages of all his comrades, the Likes of Steven Akionla, Alfred Itiowe, Shafe, Ransom Bello, A.O Itiola, Lawon, Isaac Ijalano, Amatare, and a host of others. These men were bonded by same spirit and there was no contradictions whatsoever in their messages, they presented God’s word with different approach yet they achieve same purpose in the minds of the hearers,
There were not too many Churches at the time, Pastor Enoch Adeboye was at most of the time an Interpreter to Pa Josiah Akindayomi, founder of Redeem Christian Church of God. Baba was a father to Both W.F Kumuyi and E. A Adeboye, who were both Lecturers at different times in University of Lagos.
By Mid 70’s and early 80’s the interest for the Teaching of God’s word was really high and the approach of Kumuyi was uncommon in most assembly, so, People left their congregation and places of worship and attended Bible study in “Deeper Christian Life Ministry” (DCLM) I recalled, that my Father who was a pastor of a Local assembly would also visit the church in Oyingbo and I discovered several Old Bible Study outline of deeper life in his library with several bible commentaries, Although he was sneaking to the study, he was not confortable with the idea of my mother attending a church other than His, so he Visited Kumuyi in the 70’s and requested that He (Kumuyi) should drive my mother out of His Church, But Brother Kumuyi for so was he called at the time, said, He cannot take the decision of driving anyone who has interest in the word of God, There were fights that we (Children) witnessed at home over the matter and until my father was on his sick bed and he realized he was going to die, That was when he called my mum to straightened things with her, I can say that Mum was not entirely faultless in the whole saga, both in reaction and the broils at home; but all this form an opinion of what life and relationship should be in the mind of a growing child
I observed that it was impossible to be hypocritical at the time, maybe because I was a child learning, Christianity was not Just at the time by “Outward appearance” it was from inward and it affected the outward, You do not need to be told that a passerby on your street was a Christian, it was very obvious, by the fruits they bore, they were like weak, feeble being, they will not revenge, they are always sober, and you can see an inward Peace within them, because they are not troubled by circumstance, there is a peace that you cannot explain and it steers at you.
I am amazed that at the time, people who ere are willing to make confession and start all over again, you will find Leaders who when they fail, will without compelling, report themselves to the church and are afterwards relieved of all spiritual activities and they will gladly go and pray.
I personally encountered the saving power of God at a programme organized by “I suspect” Four square Gospel Church as a little boy, it was the first time I ever understood what it meant to escape the Judgment of God by accepting God’s solution offered by Jesus Christ. I repented and follow the lord (still following) but I was no longer confined to deeper Life, although I learned the Christian teaching in deeper Life and understood certain truth in Deeper Life, even participated as a DLSO Instructor

But that was then,
I later grew to experience decay, a hardness of heart, Hypocrisy and idolatry, I saw how the devil penetrated the pulpit and made men so deceived to jostle for position, I saw human worship, (Idolatry) arrogance, like in many places I saw fight, I saw cessation, I saw rivalry, I witness an authoritarian style of leadership, and I wonder with much pains at what man can suddenly become.
I have personally experienced backsliding in my own relationship with God, But God hunted me in love and helped me in finding my way back
It is common Knowledge that Satan fights any work of God to destroy it, but the point is
How did we become so undiscerning? How did we begin a walk in the spirit and are almost at the edge in the flesh, I am not so surprised, when we stop to pray as we ought, both Personally and as a congregation, we are near defeat, I was shocked when I heard that and order was given to stop “Prayer Warrior” I can remember how Bro Akande, was Championing the course at the car park in those days. I think we became too fearful for error or the Devil, that we allowed him to suggest ways of checking his influence.
I was shocked when Prayer meetings were disbanded, I know that people will go their own ways, but the work of the ministry does not lie solely in the hands of one man.
Today, it is more shocking how we think we can win a soul into the kingdom without first wetting the soul on our knees, an example which Jesus himself displayed many times (secretly) we have become monotonous, dolling out ordinary words not backed up by Prayer.
I must confess that the huge impact of Deeper life in our country and the world cannot be denied, Pastor Kumuyi has labored immensely entering countries of the world from continent to continent after his appearance on Monday Bible study in Lagos. He has touched several lives, but for his insight into scripture, a lot of us would have worshiped God with some level of error and maybe worshiped men also.
W. F Kumuyi has affected several Churches and their founders, You can name them, I know so many churches that broke into factions as a result of the impact derived from Deeper Life. This is good for the Church to spread the gospel. Although several did not see any reason to continue like deeper life, others imported errors into their congregation deceiving the young undiscerning youths but the truth is they became mouthpiece for the Lord Jesus in several community
He is known for teaching, however, some of the Generals around Pastor Kumuyi, were not Teacher, there were Prophets amongst them, there were Evangelist, there were several people who also have the ministry but were handicapped by the Fear and Unwritten rules drawn in the heart
If Jesus Tarries, I pray Deeper life will produce more and more little Kumuyi’s and many more Jesus who would understand the workings of God and know the mind of Christ for the Church, not necessarily amongst some present anxious men who are waiting to be named as General Overseer, and desperate men who have no connection with the Holy spirit yet are willing to hold on to title.

After the Death of Sist, Biodun Kumuyi I watched the trend of Idolatry, how the Picture of a dead woman become very important to us as to display it on a Deeper Life website, How suddenly Bro/Pastor Kumuyi is being referred to as Daddy. I am not against calling an elderly person daddy, But I see the importation of a trend that was personally resisted in the days of consecrations
My prayers are that Jesus should Prepare his Church for the RAPTURE, I am sure it will not be long from now, we have become cold and lethargic. I have so many things on my mind on the issues raised but maybe I should listen to the reaction of mature Christian on these pages since I have no place order than here to remind us of what we used to be. I sure, I will find someone to tell me that, That is what I used to be, You are right. Just pray along with me as I come out from this great pain of my coldness and weakness in following my Lord

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Image123(m): 4:24pm On May 06, 2011
@ezniteadin
What can i say? not sure the 'dl members' would come to speak on behalfs, so let me sort of input one or two things/Open thy mouth for the dumb as it were. If it were some other popular church(es), i guess they wouldn't have/need this sort of speak on behalf. Firstly, i think it's wrong avenue for you to address issues with them, i'm sure you know the road to their church office or headquarters, except you just want to incite ridicule and unbelief here. You're not a member of that church, what you should do is meet the church leadership itself or meet God i.e pray, intercede for them. there's nothing prayer cannot do, coming here to complain about perceived lost glory is not the best. Every church has a similar story and need our earnest prayers, not criticisms and discouragements. What i see on a wide range of deeper life is a situation of 'putting away childish things'. There's nothing wrong with childish things if they are done by children. Many churches refuse to put away childish things but hold on to them as their church traditions and continue to develop doctrines and more doctrines for it. Theology doesn't save anybody, it's grace that saves. And whether then or now, dl would have true christians and hypocrites. You say there was a lot of love 'at that time', not everyone agrees. I know people who forever see SUs and all connected with SUs as wicked creatures that deserve hell. Christianity is more than watching T.V, tying turbans, singing slowest, or looking like you'd weep any minute. Those practices are good as it were, but they are not the basics, neither are they the faith christians are to earnestly contend for.
Has deeper life lost focus, or stopped preaching the truth? i don't think so i listen to kumuyi, he still preaches evangelism and holiness. Those have been his ministry's emphasis. i believe they still pray? i don't know of a church that don't. One thing i know of kumuyi is that he'll de-emphasize anything that's not evangelism or holiness, not condemn. He'll stop music, prayer, giving, testimonies etc if they begin to take a fore-front, so it's not surprising if he still does that.
You call Josiah Akindayomi Baba, but you don't want kumuyi to be called daddy. Is he not their daddy? heck, i remember uni and nysc and the way people were calling this young corp members 'papa' and 'mama'. Are those really the things that justify or condemn us, that you're called Brother or bros or 'aissss(you)'? or that the pastor's wife picture is on the church website? That's is not idolatry to be gentle on you. For God's sake, the man preached the next day after she died, and even at her burial. What more do we want? He didn't dedicate a day to her or something or organise a special programme to commemorate her. he even got married! What can you do to please people exactly? My advice for you is just Keep praying. If you see anything wrong in the body of Christ, the best thing to do is take it to God in prayer. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace.
Heb 13:16  Do not forget to do good and to help one another, because these are the sacrifices that please God.
Heb 13:17  Obey your leaders and follow their orders. They watch over your souls without resting, since they must give to God an account of their service. If you obey them, they will do their work gladly; if not, they will do it with sadness, and that would be of no help to you.
Heb 13:18  Keep on praying for us. We are sure we have a clear conscience, because we want to do the right thing at all times.

6 Likes

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by dabwan123(m): 6:44pm On May 07, 2011
My brother, go to the headquaters of the DCLM and speak out as God instructed us do. I don't think here's the best place to air out such observations.
God bless you.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 07, 2011
I'm beginning to see these born again churches as a cult. They all have a Daddy or GO and is either you do as they say or you are not one of them. Which is also how a cult operates.

A true church of God is one where Christ is the head, this is hard to find in the world we live in today.

1 Like

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by nuella2(f): 10:51am On May 09, 2011
^^^
Mrbible pls change ur Id you dont sound like you believe the bible.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by KunleOshob(m): 11:05am On May 09, 2011
@nuella
It is you that believes in MOGs instead of the bible. What Mr bible stated above is scripturally sound.

1 Like

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by nuella2(f): 11:18am On May 09, 2011
^^^
What do you know abt sound doctrine? What has listening to a pastor got to do with cultism? How can a christian compare the body of christ with with occult? And you mr know know see nothing wrong in it. Is like comparing Jesus and the devil,its unimaginable to me.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Omooba77: 12:07pm On May 09, 2011
Church is not cult,but it has its free entry and exit. Judge not so that you will not be judge!
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Joagbaje(m): 1:48pm On May 09, 2011
@ Op

How do you know they no longer have prayer group. im not aware there is any gospel church without prayer groups.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Joagbaje(m): 1:48pm On May 09, 2011
Image123:

@ezniteadin
What can i say? not sure the 'dl members' would come to speak on behalfs, so let me sort of input one or two things/Open thy mouth for the dumb as it were. If it were some other popular church(es), i guess they wouldn't have/need this sort of speak on behalf. Firstly, i think it's wrong avenue for you to address issues with them, i'm sure you know the road to their church office or headquarters, except you just want to incite ridicule and unbelief here. You're not a member of that church, what you should do is meet the church leadership itself or meet God i.e pray, intercede for them. there's nothing prayer cannot do, coming here to complain about perceived lost glory is not the best. Every church has a similar story and need our earnest prayers, not criticisms and discouragements.

This is the truth many lack.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Ezniteadin(m): 3:46pm On May 10, 2011
@Image123-
Thank you for your thoughts, I have learnt some things from your observation, maybe the correction required for this topic which was shared, I am sure you also don't know the Politics involved when you have to make corrections on issues, expecially in Today's Church. They will tag you with all sorts doubting your sincerity, There is an inner carcus group sorrounding all the so called "Men of God" and these men also forget that they are first men. I know how a Pastor in Festac became angry when he was corrected.
most people are unwilling to accept that they are wrong. I believe that God sees some wrong things that we do and he will use men to correct it. but what if you are sorrounded by fearful men who will not say it as it is.

Thank you again,
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 10, 2011
In my opinion Deeper life is a good church, main disagreement I have is their tithe doctrine. They believe that non-tithers are under a curse.

But the bible says only those under the law are under a curse undecided

Anyway their holiness doctrine is sound.

Thanks,
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by KunleOshob(m): 4:59pm On May 10, 2011
@frosbel

I beg to differ their holiness 'doctrine' is hypocritical and they discriminate against christians that are not their members.

1 Like

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 10, 2011
KunleOshob:

@frosbel

I beg to differ their holiness 'doctrine' is hypocritical and they discriminate against christians that are not their members.

Maybe in Nigeria , but not in the UK
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Ezniteadin(m): 11:00am On May 11, 2011
@Frosbel
The Remarks to issue on Tithe is kind of strange to me with regards to Deeper Life, I have not seen a forceful or compelling handling on that matter by the Church. It might just be the addition of a greedy representative whose heart is not divinely touched by God. It is good to Obey God all through Yet, Jesus gave us a Choice at every point
“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him”
All matter with God is a choice to be decided by the individual, even our Eternal state.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by akaazua(m): 2:08pm On Jul 06, 2011
Well I am much younger in the Lord than you are Sir and I am convinced you know more than me. Can we say it is because pastors you mentioned that were Kumuyi's comrades are no longer with him that things you believe are wrong are happening in the church? Why did you only mention the names of pastors that left the church? Men like Steven Akionla, Alfred Itiowe, Shafe, Ransom Bello, A.O Itiola, Lawon, Isaac Ijalano, Amatare, etc. Sir, sincerely I feel there is no point posting something like this on the net, especially a site like this if you really meant good for your church and christianity in general.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Eben2: 5:34pm On Jul 06, 2011
Deeper Life is never forceful on tithe. In fact, the time they spend in collecting tithes and offerings can be very short. They believe in tithing and preach it but they never see u as under a curse or evil for not paying tithe.

Moreover, if u bring a very large amount of money as tithe to the church and ur income is found to be well below wat you pay, you'll be questioned as to how u come about it and if u cannot find a sufficient answer, your money will be returned to u.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by Ezniteadin(m): 8:14am On Jul 09, 2011
If this Topic achieved nothing, at least it has scored a goal, looking at the website of Deeper Life Today. I saw that the Picture of Late Biodun Kumuyi has been removed from the site. thank God we still understand what Idolatry represents. God help the leaders of the Church. Amen
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by damipaul(m): 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2011
@Poster and Image 123, enjoyed ur posts.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by iluvnet(m): 6:18pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ezniteadin:

I later grew to experience decay, a hardness of heart, Hypocrisy and idolatry, I saw how the devil penetrated the pulpit and made men so deceived to jostle for position, I saw human worship, (Idolatry) arrogance, like in many places I saw fight, I saw cessation, I saw rivalry, I witness an authoritarian style of leadership, and I wonder with much pains at what man can suddenly become.

My brother, I have seen the above in practice and was so surprised at the way things are going on in christendom. The way PHD, pull him down syndrome and especially authoritarian leadership is carried out baffles me everyday. For now, I have decided to only concentrate on my relationship with my God and not what any pastor is saying. I have decided to only go by what the bible says and not the perverted interpretation of pastors these days.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by GraciousJ(f): 11:30am On Feb 08, 2012
Let everything be done moderately and unto to the glory of God.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by gazilion: 10:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
Ezniteadin: I used to attend Deeper-Life, I can say without Mincing words since 1979, at that time, I was Just 7 Years old. Then W. F Kumuyi was running the Bible Study From Oyingbo in Lagos, most people were really Ignorant of the Bible and so was I, what do you expect from a 7years old Child who was at the time under the care of an Illiterate mother who had become so fascinated by the new Christian Life taught by Deeper Life and compared to the Aladuara Congregation where the Husband was then a pastor, She was converted by the Conviction of the Holy Ghost after mocking a woman who was Preaching in a “Molue” Bus in Lagos, According to her testimony, she got back home and was pricked, a thought kept ringing in her mind that “You are on your way to Hell” she said for what “Laughing”? she recalled, and was under a severe torture until she went to a sister around town who already knew what it meant to be born again, The Sister who was at the time a nurse, Led her to the Lord after ministering salvation message to her and she became Born again. She put so many things behind her after Being Born again,
There was an obvious transformation in the life of my mother who used to be a troublesome woman in the community, there was a story before her conversion, how she fought two men on a boat where she was then selling “Filling Sand” and her mien was intimidating for any man to dare talk less of a woman, Mum after conversion was as gentle as a lamb, she would hardly respond to anyone who tickle her for some kind of trouble, She was not educated, but for her interest in the thing of God, She learned to read the Bible through a miraculous teaching by God. In those days of her ministerial life, I remembered that she eventually started the Yoruba “House Fellowship” with some strong members In the Area where she was living at the time, she led some Muslim Sisters to the Lord Jesus and several of unsaved people in her community, One of the Muslim sister is presently a mighty minister of the Gospel.
Because of the evident power of God manifested in her life, Parents who were fearful of the pronouncement of death on their Children came to our house and were prayed for by mum and their kids will live, she prayed for the sick and they recovered, our last born was restored back to life by her prayers after being dead and a lady who was attacked by witchcraft was prayed for and a head that was turned backward against nature returned to normal through the Power of prayer and faith in the name of Jesus. There were lots of miracle and evidence of God’s presence in our house.
I was a stubborn child growing up like some other kids, there was a particular case of theft which I remembered committed by me and when asked, I denied it, but mum just looked all her kids in the face and said, “The Lord will reveal it” That was all she said and we went about our business. In the Night of that incident she woke us all up and called me, she started to narrate the incident and how I entered the house and took the item, she narrated it to the point of telling what dropped when the act was commuted, I started to cry, I was shocked because I was sure that I was the only one at home when the crime was done, I wondered how she got wind of it. God showed up that night in a dream and told my mother everything and how it went.
There were several testimonies of God’s power in the lives of people who sincerely gave their lives to the lord Jesus
There was a lot of love at the time, Christian were Christians and the marks (Fruit) were evident by a genuine conversation, PA Josiah Akindayomi was still alive and Redeem had countable Churches in the city of Lagos, we were confined to Deeper Life Teachings and prayer, I grew up to be fascinated by W. F Kumuyi’s insight into scriptural truths at the time, I was young but had an open mind for good guiding information, the only one I was exposed to was that of Deeper Life until I started on my own to find out other sources of explanation to Christianity.
It was the days when lots of influences were coming into Nigeria from the outside world, some people believed they can get the attention of God by Living “Holy”, others are of the opinion that “Praise Worship” is the style of bringing down the glory of God, there were those who chose to be “International” neglecting their originality, so you will find someone who copies American preachers who were constantly selling idea to upcoming preachers, There were “Kenneth Haggin” who majored on Faith, Benny Hinns, whose Operation was the Miraculous, “Shamback” and a host of others. The influences were more
The Bible was a Yardstick of measuring anyone, But I realized that people have different insight to the truth in the Bible. Looking back now, there are many things that can drive a man into the Ministry (God’s work) when a man is driven by sincerity, it pays better, he might make mistakes because we do not know it all, yet sincerity will help him to find his feet and will drive him to correcting the mistakes.
Deeper Life focused on Righteousness and Holiness at that time, the impact was so much that as soon as an individual becomes a member of Deeper Life, He or she is marked by certain Do’s and don’ts, “we would not do this, we would not do that,” and so many things that marked members of deeper life out in the crowd, the lifestyle were offensive to so many people, some of the members were denied of certain rights others deny themselves so as to please God. W.F kumuyi’s messages were compelling and so were the messages of all his comrades, the Likes of Steven Akionla, Alfred Itiowe, Shafe, Ransom Bello, A.O Itiola, Lawon, Isaac Ijalano, Amatare, and a host of others. These men were bonded by same spirit and there was no contradictions whatsoever in their messages, they presented God’s word with different approach yet they achieve same purpose in the minds of the hearers,
There were not too many Churches at the time, Pastor Enoch Adeboye was at most of the time an Interpreter to Pa Josiah Akindayomi, founder of Redeem Christian Church of God. Baba was a father to Both W.F Kumuyi and E. A Adeboye, who were both Lecturers at different times in University of Lagos.
By Mid 70’s and early 80’s the interest for the Teaching of God’s word was really high and the approach of Kumuyi was uncommon in most assembly, so, People left their congregation and places of worship and attended Bible study in “Deeper Christian Life Ministry” (DCLM) I recalled, that my Father who was a pastor of a Local assembly would also visit the church in Oyingbo and I discovered several Old Bible Study outline of deeper life in his library with several bible commentaries, Although he was sneaking to the study, he was not confortable with the idea of my mother attending a church other than His, so he Visited Kumuyi in the 70’s and requested that He (Kumuyi) should drive my mother out of His Church, But Brother Kumuyi for so was he called at the time, said, He cannot take the decision of driving anyone who has interest in the word of God, There were fights that we (Children) witnessed at home over the matter and until my father was on his sick bed and he realized he was going to die, That was when he called my mum to straightened things with her, I can say that Mum was not entirely faultless in the whole saga, both in reaction and the broils at home; but all this form an opinion of what life and relationship should be in the mind of a growing child
I observed that it was impossible to be hypocritical at the time, maybe because I was a child learning, Christianity was not Just at the time by “Outward appearance” it was from inward and it affected the outward, You do not need to be told that a passerby on your street was a Christian, it was very obvious, by the fruits they bore, they were like weak, feeble being, they will not revenge, they are always sober, and you can see an inward Peace within them, because they are not troubled by circumstance, there is a peace that you cannot explain and it steers at you.
I am amazed that at the time, people who ere are willing to make confession and start all over again, you will find Leaders who when they fail, will without compelling, report themselves to the church and are afterwards relieved of all spiritual activities and they will gladly go and pray.
I personally encountered the saving power of God at a programme organized by “I suspect” Four square Gospel Church as a little boy, it was the first time I ever understood what it meant to escape the Judgment of God by accepting God’s solution offered by Jesus Christ. I repented and follow the lord (still following) but I was no longer confined to deeper Life, although I learned the Christian teaching in deeper Life and understood certain truth in Deeper Life, even participated as a DLSO Instructor

But that was then,
I have personally experienced backsliding in my own relationship with God, But God hunted me in love and helped me in finding my way back
It is common Knowledge that Satan fights any work of God to destroy it, but the point is
How did we become so undiscerning? How did we begin a walk in the spirit and are almost at the edge in the flesh, I am not so surprised, when we stop to pray as we ought, both Personally and as a congregation, we are near defeat, I was shocked when I heard that and order was given to stop “Prayer Warrior” I can remember how Bro Akande, was Championing the course at the car park in those days. I think we became too fearful for error or the Devil, that we allowed him to suggest ways of checking his influence.
I was shocked when Prayer meetings were disbanded, I know that people will go their own ways, but the work of the ministry does not lie solely in the hands of one man.
Today, it is more shocking how we think we can win a soul into the kingdom without first wetting the soul on our knees, an example which Jesus himself displayed many times (secretly) we have become monotonous, dolling out ordinary words not backed up by Prayer.
I must confess that the huge impact of Deeper life in our country and the world cannot be denied, Pastor Kumuyi has labored immensely entering countries of the world from continent to continent after his appearance on Monday Bible study in Lagos. He has touched several lives, but for his insight into scripture, a lot of us would have worshiped God with some level of error and maybe worshiped men also.
W. F Kumuyi has affected several Churches and their founders, You can name them, I know so many churches that broke into factions as a result of the impact derived from Deeper Life. This is good for the Church to spread the gospel. Although several did not see any reason to continue like deeper life, others imported errors into their congregation deceiving the young undiscerning youths but the truth is they became mouthpiece for the Lord Jesus in several community
He is known for teaching, however, some of the Generals around Pastor Kumuyi, were not Teacher, there were Prophets amongst them, there were Evangelist, there were several people who also have the ministry but were handicapped by the Fear and Unwritten rules drawn in the heart
If Jesus Tarries, I pray Deeper life will produce more and more little Kumuyi’s and many more Jesus who would understand the workings of God and know the mind of Christ for the Church, not necessarily amongst some present anxious men who are waiting to be named as General Overseer, and desperate men who have no connection with the Holy spirit yet are willing to hold on to title.

After the Death of Sist, Biodun Kumuyi I watched the trend of Idolatry, how the Picture of a dead woman become very important to us as to display it on a Deeper Life website, How suddenly Bro/Pastor Kumuyi is being referred to as Daddy. I am not against calling an elderly person daddy, But I see the importation of a trend that was personally resisted in the days of consecrations
My prayers are that Jesus should Prepare his Church for the RAPTURE, I am sure it will not be long from now, we have become cold and lethargic. I have so many things on my mind on the issues raised but maybe I should listen to the reaction of mature Christian on these pages since I have no place order than here to remind us of what we used to be. I sure, I will find someone to tell me that, That is what I used to be, You are right. Just pray along with me as I come out from this great pain of my coldness and weakness in following my Lord

By the grace of God, I've been a member of the deeperlife bible church since 1983 when I was in primary 3. I may not have been as old as you are but I've learnt and lived the doctrine as was given us by the church leadership. I never attended any other church until sometime in 2004 when I attended MFM and RCCG. I did my post graduate degrees in the UK and have attended a few other churches too. I can objectively tell you that deeperlife bible church is still a standard for me anywhere I go. The holiness message is still intact and the church leadership has informed her leaders to make evangelism 60-70 per cent a priority over domestic issues.

Yes, there were sincere mistakes that the church made which had been corrected including the owning and watching of Television, the cultural turban head gear of sisters etc. Honestly, deeper life has not derailed and WILL NOT DERAIL BY THE GRACE OF GOD. Most of her leaders are genuinely heaven minded and live there lives consciously with eternity in view.

Celebrating mummy kumuyi's life is not idolatry and will never be! she impacted lives and went to glory...she was the national women leader posting her pics on the church's website is not abnormal. Most churches have the pics of their founders and their wives on their websites, why must that of deeperlife be termed idolatry. It is only natural that you mourn a great mother and show her respect after her departure like deeper life members did. Deeperlife has moved on since then and great things are happening. THE CHURCH BELONGS TO GOD AND IT'S DRIVEN BY THE HOLY GHOST..NOT MEN DRIVEN...

I hope this answers some of your questions...God bless...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by yah1(m): 11:15pm On Nov 03, 2012
Excellent thread
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by cleric(m): 11:17am On Nov 05, 2012
Ezniteadin: I used to attend Deeper-Life, I can say without Mincing words since 1979, at that time, I was Just 7 Years old. Then W. F Kumuyi was running the Bible Study From Oyingbo in Lagos, most people were really Ignorant of the Bible and so was I, what do you expect from a 7years old Child who was at the time under the care of an Illiterate mother who had become so fascinated by the new Christian Life taught by Deeper Life and compared to the Aladuara Congregation where the Husband was then a pastor, She was converted by the Conviction of the Holy Ghost after mocking a woman who was Preaching in a “Molue” Bus in Lagos, According to her testimony, she got back home and was pricked, a thought kept ringing in her mind that “You are on your way to Hell” she said for what “Laughing”? she recalled, and was under a severe torture until she went to a sister around town who already knew what it meant to be born again, The Sister who was at the time a nurse, Led her to the Lord after ministering salvation message to her and she became Born again. She put so many things behind her after Being Born again,

But that was then,

Spoken like a true christian. May God draw you back to Jesus. This is one of the most mature and sincere writing i have ever seen on NL. God bless you.
However, if you compare the messages of Pastor E.A. Adeboye back in the days with his messages now, you will agree with me that the emphasis has changed. Pastor Adeboye used to be a name synonymous with humility. I don't think i have recently seen any where he was addressed as the Humble Pastor Adeboye.

My point, work out your own salvation and stop following man.

Phil 2:12
[/color] Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.[color=#990000]
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by obalola7: 11:49am On Nov 05, 2012
@Ezniteadin

Where is the poster i have a question for you? It appears that this thread is over a year old and the poster have not been here in a while
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by cleric(m): 12:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
obalola7: @Ezniteadin

Where is the poster i have a question for you? It appears that this thread is over a year old and the poster have not been here in a while
Do you know i didn't even notice? grin
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by MhizEnkay(f): 5:37pm On Oct 16, 2014
The only thing I'l say is that: Every successful person must have critics, no matter the area of life.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by youngice(m): 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
nuella2:
^^^
What do you know abt sound doctrine? What has listening to a pastor got to do with cultism? How can a christian compare the body of christ with with occult? And you mr know know see nothing wrong in it. Is like comparing Jesus and the devil,its unimaginable to me.
my dear a S.T.F.U
They are absolutely correct, be a Christian not a religious person

1 Like

Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by XaintJoel20: 7:19pm On Nov 23, 2015
Honestly I enjoyed the article and e response... God bless His Church..
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by neurosci: 10:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
I enjoyed this article, and all the comments so far. I wish further discussions could commence on some of the issues raised, not specifically about DLBC, but about the Church in general.
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by sorority11(m): 12:32am On Apr 13, 2017
such great article u most of your comments are matured or should i say divinely touched
Re: Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. by wellmax(m): 10:49pm On Dec 10, 2017
In my opinion Deeper life is a good church, main disagreement I have is their tithe doctrine. They believe that non-tithers are under a curse.

But the bible says only those under the law are under a curse undecided

Anyway their holiness doctrine is sound.

Thanks,

I have been in Deeper Life. They don't teach this

(1) (Reply)

Should I Have Sex On Valentine's Day? / Kenneth Hagin & Kenneth Copeland - Pentecostal Confusion / 40 Words Of Wisdom From The Bible!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.