Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,261 members, 7,839,323 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Massacre In Niger Delta For Oil And Gas - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massacre In Niger Delta For Oil And Gas (3387 Views)

Igbo Group Visits Victims Of Uzo-Uwani Enugu Massacre In Hospital (Pics) / Pictures From Boko Haram Massacre In Dalori (Viewer Discretion) / Saraki And Other Senators In Delta For Thanksgiving Service (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Massacre In Niger Delta For Oil And Gas by texazzpete(m): 8:30am On Jun 19, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Can you point me to ONE court-martial in Nigeria addressing the countless cases of human rights violation by the Nigerian Army? I ask for just ONE. Thank you.

The Nigerian Army has in-built mechanisms to address the issue of cold-blooded murder, but have not done anything to stem this evil tide. I wonder what the "decent" and "gallant" soldiers are doing while their "indecent" and "not gallant" comrades rape, kill and pillage civilians and their homes.

Even under George Bush's tyranny, America still tried some soldiers that executed civilians in cold-blood in Iraq. The Us military routinely court-martials soldiers involved in non-homicide cases like rape. When did you ever hear that a Nigerian soldier was tried for rape, whether in Nigeria, Liberia or Sierra-Leone? Nigerian soldiers in Liberia and Sierra-Leone raped and murdered civilians and I'm yet to hear of ANY soldier being court-martialled for those atrocities.

Let me refresh your memory, just in case you've forgotten the events of the last four decades. In the late 1960s and 1970s during the Vietnam War, when Americans saw, read and heard of the many atrocities committed by US soldiers in Vietnam, millions of Americans, including soldiers, condemned those actions squarely. Many Vietnam Veterans joined the anti-war movement and lashed out at the government and the military. Some soldiers were beaten up and stoned. Others were spat at and ridiculed. Some Vietnam Veterans' like John Kerry, came forward and spoke against the military. The US military was very unpopular and millions of Americans openly expressed their disdain towards a corrupt, blood-thirsty and outright evil establishment that killed civilians wantonly in Vietnam. After footage and reports of the My Lai Massacre reached the US, millions of Americans went berzerk!

Patriotism cannot and should not be used to excuse the cold-blooded murder of innocent civilians!

I love Nigeria - the land, the people, my people, my country! However, I completely detest her government and the killing apparatus it (the useless government) uses to oppress the masses - the Nigerian Police and the Nigerian Army.

The Nigerian army is - by and large - a reflection of the general Nigerian society. You base your disdain for the armed forces on the lack of court martial trials for brutal attacks, but there are many crimes in Nigeria that go unpunished. Should we then also carry this same disdain for Nigerians everywhere?
The Nigerian army as an institution is not irredeemable. As with almost everthing in Nigeria, it is seriously flawed. But there are redeeming features, and we rely on this same army to defend us in case of any external aggression. By all means, point the finger at the bad eggs in the army, not a blanket condemnation of an institution that houses many decent men and women. For example, the Nigerian civil service has a very large amount of corrupt men and women, but there are many civil servants of integrity, including one of my parents who i can vouch for 100%. would you feel comfortable if i said all civil servants in nigeria are thieves?

I have NEVER come out to defend any atrocity committed by the armed forces. It dissapoints me that you consistently make that assumption/accusation. At least you're cut of more intelligent cloth than the likes of freed. Take care to read my statements without that red mist of rage and you'll understand where i'm coming from.

freed:

where is the head quarters of prostitution located? Nigerian women going to Europe started from where?

And what has this got to do with the topic under discussion? What have prostitutes in Edo have to do with me?

freed:

I have seen Nigerian army doing worse things than this its only idiots like you that support their actions

You can't fool me, it takes more work to reply my arguments point by point than to resort to childish insults. Stop being a phucking coward and reply me with some intelligence. Put your grey cells to work, any ape can spout stupid insults.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Curb Kidnapping, Others In South-east, By Nas / JTF Warns Of A Possible Boko Haram Attack In Kano During Easter Holiday / Buhari Bring Back Our 2.8 Billion Dollars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.