Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,494 members, 7,836,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Demilitarized State - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Demilitarized State (2733 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Demilitarized State by Ikomi(m): 10:14am On Jun 16, 2009
How does it enforce the law?

How does it protect its people?

How does it protect itself form foreing threat?

How does it protect its borders?

How does it work?
Re: Demilitarized State by Lagosboy: 12:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
Stupid talk from a stupid man i mean Netanyahu.

How can there be a state that will not control its air space,border no defence so IDF can run them over anytime. Why is the "4th strongest army" in the world with nuclear power afraid of neighbour havin an army?
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 12:50pm On Jun 16, 2009
It depends on where you are looking at it from.

To me it appears they are proposing a short term solution. If history is something we have to look at, Palestine have proved time and time again that they cannot control their borders. They have shown that the lack the capability to mann their own air space.

People are missing the point that, there will be some sort of UN force or so doing these jobs raised by the OP temporarily until something better is achieved.

Also, before most of you miss the good thing out of this is that both side have seen that a two state solution is the long term goal. That is what I get from Nentenyahu, and am sure with time more and more solution would follow on this as a basis. smiley
Re: Demilitarized State by Afam(m): 1:01pm On Jun 16, 2009
A 2 state solution has been the only reasonable solution all along but the hypocrites and lobbyists in the US and Israel would not want to hear of it until Obama stood his ground and Natenyanhu knew his options were all of a sudden grossly limited.

This is what honest conflict resolution is all about, not the nonsense Bush and co were doing in the past, wasting time, allowing more killings and spreading hate each time an innocent life is wasted.
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 1:29pm On Jun 16, 2009
@topic,

Demilitarized is not the same thing as having no law enforcement.

Netanyahu's call is very reasonable considering recent history. Isreal unilaterally left the Gaza Strip and it became a launching pad for more rockets into Isreal.

America is arguably the strongest country in the world.  Yet it was brought to its knees by 19 men on 911.  So forget the story of Isreal being the 4th strongest military in the world.

Isreal can run them over anytime with or without them being militarized. So forget that argument.
Re: Demilitarized State by Lagosboy: 2:24pm On Jun 16, 2009
if we talk of 2 state solution - fine

I believe we have to deal justly with boths states

I believe there should not be a pseudo state among those 2

I beleive we are not talking of a glorified prison like Israel turned Gaza into and said the withdrew.

We do not want anything temporary , if there must be peace there has to be justice and Palestinian state have the RIGHT to protect themselves. A demilitarised state is an njust attempt to peace and Netanyahu doesnt want peace hence going down that route. Even all the so called morderates Abbas, Erakat and co have all rejected the nonsense he proposed. What is a state without a military . what is a state without control of its airspace then can someone tell me what will be the difference between such a state and present staus quo except a Palestinian passport
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2009
@Lagosboy,

The overiding concern of Isreal is not a Palestinian State but their survival.  Same is true of every nation.  If a Palestinian State poses an existential threat to Isreal, they will be stupid to allow it.  Besides, no nation will ever allow that and will go to war to protect its soveeingty. 

Instead of addresing all the issues that will bring about the elusive peace, you are making a political grandstanding. It's funny how you have nothing to stay about the possible threat that a militarised Palestine poses to Isreal. You guys are no real partner to peace.  Isreal withdrew from Gaza Strip a few months ago, what they got was not an acknoledgment of their desire to gradually change the status quo but a barrage of rockets from the same Gaza Strip.  Why blame them if they proceed cautiously now?
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

America is arguably the strongest country in the world.  Yet it was brought to its knees by 19 men on 911.  So forget the story of Isreal being the 4th strongest military in the world.

I was going to take you serious until I saw that. What an ignorant thing to say.
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 3:39pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

I was going to take you serious until I saw that. What an ignorant thing to say.
Can you please enlightene me. I'll appreciate it.
Re: Demilitarized State by Ikomi(m): 3:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
ElRazur:

The boy talks nonsence, he did not even talk about the reason why rockets started coming from Gaza.

Rockets started coming from Gaza because in the 1993 peace accord it was said that Isreal should also whitdraw from west bank, but it only witdrew from Gaza and kept the better half which is west bank, which has better soil and therefore yields good farm products.

Natanyahu has been reminded that settlement should be stopped in west bank, he is saying that natural settlement should be allowed to florish. He knows that Isrealites have more economic power than palestinians so if natural growth should be allowed, then Isrealites would just aquire more land.

And moreso we know palestinians without a military, what force watches over the intrest of the Palestinians. The UN forces would at most look at some Injustice and turn the other way. The UN forces did that in Rwanda and also in Dafur. How are we sure they wont do the same thing in Palestine.

The boy talks rubbish, its unfrotunate he came to post here, I was expecting sound views.
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 3:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

@ElRazur,
Can you please enlightene me. I'll appreciate it.

Please explain to me as to how the US was brought to her knees and how the Military plays a role here. Finally, just because a nation is consider the most powerful on earth, do you expect it not to be affected by terrorism?
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

Please explain to me as to how the US was brought to her knees and how the Military plays a role here. Finally, just because a nation is consider the most powerful on earth, do you expect it not to be affected by terrorism?
I thought you were going to enlightene me? What answers do you expect from an ignorant person?!

Can you differentiate the military establishment of the Isreali foes in the ME from terrorism organizations? They work hand in hand and in tandem. To admit that a superpower can be affected by terrorism and yet unable to see how 911 comes to mind here is incredulous!
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 4:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

@ElRazur,
I thought you were going to enlightene me? What answers do you expect from an ignorant person?!

Can you differentiate the military establishment of the Isreali foes in the ME from terrorism organizations?  They work hand in hand and in tandem.  To admit that a superpower can be affected by terrorism and yet unable to see how 911 comes to mind here is incredulous!

Dude. You statement was really an ignorant thing to say. 911 event do not "bring USA to her knees". If affected her alright, but not bring her to her knees. I suggest you look up on what it entails to bring a nation to her knees. Dropping a bomb on Hiroshima will be one example.

When ever people talk about the Military power of the USA, a few people like you crawl out of the wood work and claim "if they are so powerful, how come 911 happened"! I mean that is like saying Brazil is probably the best in the world, but Nigeria beat them back in Atlanta 96. It is a flawed reasoning and statement to make. Terrorism is not conventional and modern warfare!

As for ME, it depend on how you want it. Countries surrounding Israel have a military outlet, whereas units like Hama militant wing do not readily have a Military unit, hence the fight against them will not be as conventional. . . say when fighting a proper military outfit.
Re: Demilitarized State by Ikomi(m): 4:07pm On Jun 16, 2009
@Elrazur
That post was not totally meant for you, the person its meant for knows himself. Nothing comes out of his mouth but stench.
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

Dude. You statement was really an ignorant thing to say. 911 event do not "bring USA to her knees". If affected her alright, but not bring her to her knees. I suggest you look up on what it entails to bring a nation to her knees. Dropping a bomb on Hiroshima will be one example.
The use of the phrase "bringing someone to his/her knees" has a great deal of latitude in its usage. Basically, it paints the picture of hitting someone at their weak points not necessarily to destroy them but to bring them in compliance to something or get their attention. America has never been the same since 911.  They've spent billions of dollars in war since 911. The US military has been stretchd to its breaking point since 911, and the DNC is basically in power today because of 911. So what is your problem with the prase "brought to its knees".

When ever people talk about the Military power of the USA, a few people like you crawl out of the wood work and claim "if they are so powerful, how come 911 happened"! I mean that is like saying Brazil is probably the best in the world, but Nigeria beat them back in Atlanta 96. It is a flawed reasoning and statement to make. Terrorism is not conventional and modern warfare!
You need to understand what people are talking about before you respond to them. Quite the contrary, I am of the school of thought that your might does not make you invincible. This is why I applaud Isreal's caution in granting the future Palestinian State a free reign in military decisions. Such could pose an existential threat to Isreal even though they are a military superpower.

Like I said earlier, understand people's post before responding to them. It will help you avoid looking like you have no clue what you are talking about.
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 4:27pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

@ElRazur,
The use of the phrase "bringing someone to his/her knees" has a great deal of latitude in its usage. Basically, it paints the picture of hitting someone at their weak points not necessarily to destroy them but to bring them in compliance to something or get their attention. America has never been the same since 911.  They've spent billions of dollars in war since 911. The US military has been stretchd to its breaking point since 911, and the DNC is basically in power today because of 911. So what is your problem with the prase "brought to its knees".

I have highlighted my point and what I perceive as the ignorance. To paraphrase again since you dont seem to get it. ". . . . .USA wasn't brought to her knees. . . ." To claim otherwise is just not true.

Again bringing NDC and the capacity of the Military is irrelevant. The point at hand [before you make us lose is] is that you claimed "Despite US military power. . . blah blah blah . . . should have prevented 911" or something along those lines and this I pointed out as misrepresentation and distortion.

You need to understand what people are talking about before you respond to them. Quite the contrary, I am of the school of thought that your might does not make you invincible. This is why I applaud Isreal's caution in granting the future Palestinian State a free reign in military decisions. Such could pose an existential threat to Isreal even though they are a military superpower.

Who says I don't? Let me guess you? No surprise there. I did remember mentioning in one of my post to you that US military might will not stop her from terrorism attack.

It should be worth nothing that[b] I specifically removed your post surrounding the Israeli issue to point out as something I see as ignorance. [/b] [I think that is my gripe with your post]

Like I said earlier, understand people's post before responding to them. It will help you avoid looking like you have no clue what you are talking about.

See above.
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 4:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

I have highlighted my point and what I perceive as the ignorance. To paraphrase again since you dont seem to get it. ". . . . .USA wasn't brought to her knees. . . ." To claim otherwise is just not true.
The US wan't brought to her kneew and yet every aspect of the US as a sovereign State has been different since 911. Some have also claimed that you can't separate the curent economic crisis from the money being spent to prosecute the wars that can be traced to 911. So please don't be myopic in your use of the phrase.

Let's get to the koko of the matter.

Again bringing NDC and the capacity of the Military is irrelevant. The point at hand [before you make us lose is] is that you claimed "Despite US military power. . . blah blah blah . . . should have prevented 911" or something along those lines and this I pointed out as misrepresentation and distortion.
That's why I said you don't even understand what I said. I said clearly the opposite of what you are accusing me of. You might want to go review my earlier post and read it without jumping to wrong conclusions.
Re: Demilitarized State by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 16, 2009
lol Netanyahu understands better than the trolls here that a palestinian state = a quasi Iranian military complex in the West Bank and Gaza.

Of course the leftists would rather bury their heads in the sand. Do you think Hamas or FATAH can protect their own airspace? All we'll have in the west bank would be Shahaab missiles.
Re: Demilitarized State by Afam(m): 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

@ElRazur,

That's why I said you don't even understand what I said. I said clearly the opposite of what you are accusing me of. You might want to go review my earlier post and read it without jumping to wrong conclusions.

At content in bold, true talk, I been think say na only me notice am.
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 4:50pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tayo-D:

@ElRazur,
The US wan't brought to her kneew and yet every aspect of the US as a sovereign State has been different since 911. Some have also claimed that you can't separate the curent economic crisis from the money being spent to prosecute the wars that can be traced to 911. So please don't be myopic in your use of the phrase.

This is getting tiresome and I have to say this is my last say on this.
Circumstances making a nation changing its approach in several ways do not mean she was brought to her knees as a result. She may have opted to reconsider her approach, address potential weaknesses etc, but she wasn't brought to her knees. Period. How hard is it to understand this?

Let's get to the koko of the matter.
That's why I said you don't even understand what I said.  I said clearly the opposite of what you are accusing me of. You might want to go review my earlier post and read it without jumping to wrong conclusions.

[/quote]

Here is what you said before:
[quote]
America is arguably the strongest country in the world.  Yet it was brought to its knees by 19 men on 911.  So forget the story of Isreal being the 4th strongest military in the world.

The bit in bold is what I have been explaining since.

Again, if you really think I don't understand, then I guess we will have to leave it at that for now smiley
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 4:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
Afam:

Afam:

It sucks when people looks for allies across thread. smiley You only posted this because of the non-sense reply you posted in the other thread. But if it makes you happy. Go for it. grin
Re: Demilitarized State by debosky(m): 4:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
Netanyahu's proposal is nonsense - he simply said what he did out of American pressure. If Palestine is a state, leave it to them to decide whether to be militarised or not.

davidylan:

lol Netanyahu understands better than the trolls here that a palestinian state = a quasi Iranian military complex in the West Bank and Gaza.

Of course the leftists would rather bury their heads in the sand. Do you think Hamas or FATAH can protect their own airspace? All we'll have in the west bank would be Shahaab missiles.

Then treat them the same way Lebanon is treated - bomb any aggressors using their territory. That doesn't mean the new state should not have the right to arm itself should it decide to do so. If Shahab missiles are the threat, why isn't Israel asking for a demilitarized Lebanon as well? You cannot decide for another country - that is not sovereignty.

PS - This discussion on 'bringing to her knees' or otherwise is redundant. At best, it is a case of hyperbole/wrong usage of expression. Let's be less pedantic and discuss substance. wink
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 4:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

You have simply taken the same position that I have taken. A superpower is still liable to be hit by very small entities. The US was not to blame for the terrorists actions. So the argument earlier by Lagosboy that Isreal has nothing to fear because Palestine will be a small State does not hold water.

I have not by any stretch of the imagination implied that US should not be hit on 911, nor Isreal incapable of being hit by small entities. That was what you read into it.

Go back and read my respnse again with the understanding that it was a reply to Lagosboy's earlier post.
Re: Demilitarized State by TayoD1(m): 5:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
@ElRazur,

It sucks when people looks for allies across thread. You only posted this because of the non-sense reply you posted in the other thread. But if it makes you happy. Go for it.
You know, I was beginning to think that Afam may have turned a new leaf until he posted that rubbish. We've argued back and forth a little bit today without any insults being brandished. It's unfortunate that he has now resorted to this tactics. How typical.
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 5:16pm On Jun 16, 2009
debosky:

PS - This discussion on 'bringing to her knees' or otherwise is redundant. At best, it is a case of hyperbole/wrong usage of expression. Let's be less pedantic and discuss substance. wink

Dude you really are full of it to be honest. For the record, you do not own or control anyone around here. So drop the act and quit patronizing people.

Hyperbole/Wrong usage of expression in a debate can give different out come and give different meanings. This is evident in what me and TayoD have discussed back and forth. To come in and to try and rubbish it with your patronizing-control-freak-approach is silly.
Re: Demilitarized State by debosky(m): 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2009
ElRazur:

Dude you really are full of it to be honest. For the record, you do not own or control anyone around here. So drop the act and quit patronizing people.

Hyperbole/Wrong usage of expression in a debate can give different out come and give different meanings. This is evident in what me and TayoD have discussed back and forth. To come in and to try and rubbish it with your patronizing-control-freak-approach is silly.
grin grin grin Dude you really need to loosen up.

Now seriously I meant that comment in good faith - I didn't act like I owned or controlled anyone, I simply made a recommendation. If you feel patronized, I apologise, but I expressed my opinion, or am I not allowed to do that anymore?

Back to topic - Netanyahu doesn't want a Palestinian state, but if forced to, he will only allow one based on restrictive terms not very different from the current status of things.
Re: Demilitarized State by RichyBlacK(m): 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2009
Nothing will please me more than punching Bibi's fat face. That man is even more insane than I thought!

Demanding that the future Palestinian state be demilitarized is probably the most idiotic statement/demand/position any Israeli prime-minister has ever made.

Obama must not allow extremists like Bibi derail us from the path to Palestinian liberation! He must put pressure on that stubborn man and make it clear to him that gone are the days when Israel will take any asinine position and expect America to say "yap".

I really want to see an Obama (moderate, humane, smart) Bibi (extremist, inhumane, not smart) showdown!
Re: Demilitarized State by ElRazur: 5:34pm On Jun 16, 2009
Richy, do you not think the UN would play a role? Or at least some sort of Neutral forces when pending things are fully ironed out?

By the way, Obama have a lot to lose if he do not play his card right.
Re: Demilitarized State by Ikomi(m): 5:49pm On Jun 16, 2009
debosky:

Netanyahu's proposal is nonsense - he simply said what he did out of American pressure. If Palestine is a state, leave it to them to decide whether to be militarised or not.

T[b]hen treat them the same way Lebanon is treated - bomb any aggressors using their territory.[/b] That doesn't mean the new state should not have the right to arm itself should it decide to do so. If Shahab missiles are the threat, why isn't Israel asking for a demilitarized Lebanon as well? You cannot decide for another country - that is not sovereignty.

Straight up, when Isreal did it to Hezzbollah, everyone agreed they have the right to defend Isreal, so if Lebanon can not control Hezzbollah whatever they get from Isreal they have brought upon themselves.
Re: Demilitarized State by muhsin(m): 5:49pm On Jun 16, 2009
That comment is very much worth laughing at. Who the frigging hell did he think he can out-smart and bully? Lol grin Nobody but himself and other deluded, misguided, shallow thinking people. But that sounds rather he was kidding than talking serious and sensible. Mts.
Re: Demilitarized State by Lagosboy: 6:10pm On Jun 16, 2009
The guy obviously doesnt want peace neither does he wants a palestinian state. Hence his extremist and stupid demand.
Re: Demilitarized State by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 16, 2009
Lagosboy:

The guy obviously doesnt want peace neither does he wants a palestinian state. Hence his extremist and stupid demand.

and the palestinians want peace? grin cheesy You need to look yourself in the mirror. What was stupid about Bibi's demand? That palestinians recognise Israel AS A JEWISH STATE? Is that not the very crux of the mid-east crisis? cheesy I wonder where these wool heads bury their heads. Even sand can tell the diff.

muhsin:

That comment is very much worth laughing at. Who the frigging hell did he think he can out-smart and bully? Lol grin Nobody but himself and other deluded, misguided, shallow thinking people. But that sounds rather he was kidding than talking serious and sensible. Mts.

Very funny . . . while Bibi is enjoying himself safely ensconced in the safety of the world's 4th most powerful army . . . your palestinians are busy killing themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Islamic Terrorist Attacks Paris Kills 12- Images And Raw Video / Saudi Arabia Breaks Off Ties With Iran / Riot After Africans Shot In Italy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.