Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,289 members, 7,815,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

12 Ways On How To Relate With Your In-laws - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 12 Ways On How To Relate With Your In-laws (722 Views)

My In-laws Are Making Me Get Tired OF MY Marriage / Can You Relate With This ? Share Your Experience ( Pics ) / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

12 Ways On How To Relate With Your In-laws by Echosam: 7:31pm On Jan 06, 2016
Okay. You are now married. Done the honeymoon on Elegushi Beach and you are set for the straight business of settling down proper. Your in-laws! Did your heart just skip a beat like a damaged vinyl record? Calm down. You are too young to have hypertension. Kool ya temper first with these lines from The Mother-In-Law Book by Rosaleen Dickson:

'Lucky the man whose wife and mother

Love him enough to be good to be each other

Happy the man whose mother and wife

Love him enough to live without strife.'

On a serious note, one major factor that will determine the success and longevityof your marriage is the way you relate with and handle your in-laws. Do it correctly, you have the most blissful of matrimonies and get it wrong, you will sign the divorce papers faster than the ring entered your finger!

We have criss-crossed the globe and today, we bring to you and your loving spouse, 12 solid ways on how to relate with your in-laws. Irrespective of your religion, tribe or background, these universal values always work. Ready? Let's roll!

1. Know Them: Yelz. The very first thing you need to do is to know your in-laws. It does not sound too nice of you as a bride not to know the full names of your mother-in-law or what your

Image result for how to relate with your inlaws father-in-law does for a living. Like, seriously? Drill your spouse, know all about her people. This will assist you in relating better with each member. Once you know them, communicate and pick clues yourself. You cannot be aloof and say it is 'me and my husband'. Nibo?! If you agree to marry your spouse, it means you have a new family. Know them, love them and cherish them. That's numero uno.

2. Close? Yes, But Not Extremely Close: Your mother-in-law happens to be the very hospitable type, she cannot but pamper you every second of the day. Oh, lucky you! But there is something you must always know: excessive familiarity will always breed contempt. Be close to your in-laws but not too close for comfort. Give them breathing space even if they show you are the apple of their eyeballs (abi no be so dem dey talk am ni?). You have your family and they have theirs. Remember one of the 48 Laws of Power: create value by scarcity. Do not 'extra cool' your father-in-law at 2.30 am unless your wife is in labor -and he is a gynaecologist! Hope you gerrit?

3. Do NOT Reveal All: Your father-in-law has taken you like a son and one cool weekend, you guys got talking. It all started from politics and before you know it, you started narrating how badly your wife cooks or how good she is in bed (who on earth does that?). Even though your father-in-law knows that you are married to his daughter, do not irritate him with the details of how you give her koboko. It is a no-no! Gist generally, give advice when your suggestion is called for and as for what is between you and your wife -let it remain like that.

4. Never Insult: Remember they are his parents and no one will take it lying low if you abuse their parents. Yes, he loves you but he loves his parents too. Do not run your mouth (like water as Chidinma Kedike would say) about her sisters or brothers. According to the book, The Mother-In-Law Dance: Can Two Women Love the Same Man and Still Get Along? by Annie Chapman, one of the most constructive ways by which a mother can stay within her boundaries is by containing the mighty force of the tongue. And yes! Let me remind you, even when he complains about his parents or relatives, calm him down -or keep quiet. Do not join him in hurling careless words at your in-laws -it will only boomerang later.

5. Your Relationship First: In all that you do, never forget this: your relationship first! This is an instinct that should guide you in all you do. There are times you just have to sacrifice your ego (not your dignity, see below) just for things to work out.

6. Appreciate Their Good Points: It takes two to tango. If your in-laws are trying their best to satisfy you, do not take them for granted. Appreciate that basket of fruits your mother-in-law sends every week for your children and do not say it is just fifty naira orange. Your appreciation and gratitude can sound little but will surely go a long way.

7. Visit Them (With The Kids): Just imagine yourself being a grandparent on nice weekends, with excited kids running all over your courtyard telling you tell them story after story. Nice scene ba? Visit your in-laws once in a while, and carry the kids with you, if you've got any. Do not deny grannies the right of ....continue reading http://virginology..com.ng/2015/12/12-ways-on-how-to-relate-with-your-in.html

1 Like

Re: 12 Ways On How To Relate With Your In-laws by dollyjoy(f): 7:32pm On Jan 06, 2016
Well said.
Op are you married?

(1) (Reply)

The Parental Roles / PHOTO: Wicked Teacher Strips Two Students Naked For Not Finishing Their Homework / I Think I'm Too Old To Be Single @33 As A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.