Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

What's the difference between looking African and African American? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What's the difference between looking African and African American? (18083 Views)

Is Love Sex! The Difference Between Love Making And Sex. / Why Dont African American Men And Carribean Men Like 2 Date African Girls? / Nigerian Woman And African American Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
I happen to look very West Afrian, ppl mistake me for women in Nigeria, Ghana, etc. I notice that African american guys are fickle when it comes to me. Does anyone else feel this way?
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by tpiah: 3:54pm On Jun 16, 2009
I doubt there's any particular nationality AA guys wont hit on if they're so inclined.

Its a black thing maybe.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 4:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
What do you mean it's a black thing maybe?
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by vanderjo(m): 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2009
@Tisha,
It is all about the metality they got about West african women and the personality involve.why does it bother you?
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by luxoire(f): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2009
AA men will hit on you if they feel you can understand WHERE they are coming from - its just them they cant help but notice a sister and try to make a sister notice them cheesy
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:37pm On Jun 16, 2009
van der jo:

@Tisha,
It is all about the metality they got about West african women and the personality involve.why does it bother you?

Well, yes it does bother me. I happen to be African American, and I just LOOK West African (Nigerian, Ghanian), and the young AA crowd seems to be a bit fickle when it comes to me. They don't seem to act that way towards the girls iwth the African American phenotype (whatever that may be). It has caused me to have issues with my self image and self worth
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2009
AA men will hit on you if they feel you can understand WHERE they are coming from - its just them they cant help but notice a sister and try to make a sister notice them

I really don't understand what this means
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by luxoire(f): 5:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

I really don't understand what this means

how old are you is the question i should have asked first?

and the behaviour towards you is it negative or positive?
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Uche2nna(m): 5:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

It has caused me to have issues with my self image and self worth

In what way? undecided
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
how old are you is the question i should have asked first?

and the behaviour towards you is it negative or positive?

I am 23.

They seem to be very hesistant in getting involved with me. I have experienced plenty of AA guys who expressed some interest in me but pull back and then I see them around campus with an African American looking girl (lighter complected)
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
In what way?

I don't understand why some guys will ask me if I am from Africa or tell me I look African. I didn't even know that I looked different from most African Americans. I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. And if this is working as a disadvantage when it comes to dating within my age group being that young men are very superficial and shallow and influenced by white supremacy
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
Am I getting this right?

You say your West African looks make AA men stay away from you?
What's the "West African" look? Do tell.
Go and deal with your insecurities first before you blame it on this alien term known as "West African look".
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by luxoire(f): 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

I am 23.

They seem to be very hesistant in getting involved with me. I have experienced plenty of AA guys who expressed some interest in me but pull back and then I see them around campus with an African American looking girl (lighter complected)

look you are old enough to know who you are and have self worth - if a man can not see beyond your complexion and love you for who you are then stuff them

meantime you STOP looking for excuses to dislike yourself and START CELERATING your origins!!
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Jun 16, 2009
West African Look: 'Blackened face caused by the harsh equatorial sun, big bulbous nose and fat lips. Some may also have the additional misfortune of big bulging eyes and scary hair'
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by chiogo(f): 5:47pm On Jun 16, 2009
grin grin grin grin

@poster, African American men are not your problem. You're your own problem - low self-esteem.

And please, do tell what this 'West African look' is.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by tpiah: 5:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
I dont think I even understand the OP.

Tisha313 :

do you mean AA guys avoid you and you think its because you look west African?

Or are you saying they avoid you because you're dark skinned? Meaning you feel they prefer the lighter skinned ladies. Unlike Obama.

I know a few west Africans who are married to AA guys so I dont quite catch your drift.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by platinumnk(f): 5:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

Well, yes it does bother me. I happen to be African American, and I just LOOK West African (Nigerian, Ghanian), and the young AA crowd seems to be a bit fickle when it comes to me. They don't seem to act that way towards the girls iwth the African American phenotype (whatever that may be). It has caused me to have issues with my self image and self worth

Thats what people dont understand about America. Growing up i was predjudiced heavily by AA's.
And for a long time, I only hung  with Nigerians or Whites.

Now I cool with everyone, ppl are just ignorant. But due to  the world being more interconnected, AA men are more intrigued when u tell them ure Nigerian.

I went out in New Orleans and this guy saw my 9ja flag hangin in my car,  and so was goo ga ga that he was talking to me. Its so funny now.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

I don't understand why some guys will ask me if I am from Africa or tell me I look African. I didn't even know that I looked different from most African Americans. I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. And if this is working as a disadvantage when it comes to dating within my age group being that young men are very superficial and shallow and influenced by white supremacy

Don't pretend, you consider it a bad thing.  cheesy

debosky:

West African Look: 'Blackened face caused by the harsh equatorial sun, big bulbous nose and fat lips. Some may also have the additional misfortune of big bulging eyes and scary hair'

I have seen AA's with such descriptions too. cheesy
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:49pm On Jun 16, 2009
Am I getting this right?

You say your West African looks make AA men stay away from you?
What's the "West African" look? Do tell.
Go and deal with your insecurities first before you blame it on this alien term known as "West African look".

I am asking myself the same thing, what is an "West African" look. But people tell me that I don't look American and right off the bat they presume I'm not

Even on a job interview, the person interviewing me said I looked "AFrican" so I asked him, "what is looking African?" and he said that I looked like the West African women he knew because of my bone structure. I should have asked him what is looking African American.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by platinumnk(f): 5:51pm On Jun 16, 2009
No matter what, there is a look,

I can put 100 blacks in a line and put one nigerian in the line and it will stick out like a sore thumb.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by debosky(m): 5:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
stillwater:

I have seen AA's with such descriptions too. cheesy

I didn't say there weren't - Tisha313 seems to be saying she is a typical example. grin grin
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 5:53pm On Jun 16, 2009
No matter what, there is a look,

I can put 100 blacks in a line and put one nigerian in the line and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Can you tell me what makes a Nigerian look different from an African  American??
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by vanderjo(m): 5:54pm On Jun 16, 2009
@Tisha,
Nobody has the right to put you down and i guess you are consenting to that,i'm a west african and our women are great women,they are making u question ur self worth.be proud of who you are.
If the white Folks do not like you, then date west Africans and I know the white dudes aren’t 1percent better than us and I’m available to help you with ur problem.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by tpiah: 5:58pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313

depends on where you're from.

Is this the kind of look you're feeling is African:

Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

I am asking myself the same thing, what is an "West African" look. But people tell me that I don't look American and right off the bat they presume I'm not

Even on a job interview, the person interviewing me said I looked "AFrican" so I asked him, "what is looking African?" and he said that I looked like the West African women he knew because of my bone structure. I should have asked him what is looking African American.

Can we see a photo of you to determine this look?  cheesy
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by platinumnk(f): 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
van der jo:

@Tisha,
Nobody has the right to put you down and i guess you are consenting to that,i'm a west african and our women are great women,they are making u question ur self worth.be proud of who you are.
If the white Folks do not like you, then date west Africans and I know the white dudes aren’t 1percent better than us an[b]d I’m available to help you with ur problem[/b].

how are u going to help grin

Tisha313:

Can you tell me what makes a Nigerian look different from an African  American??

I cant describe it accurately for u, ask debosky, but u r beautiful in ur own right, makybe ure blood isnt as mixed as the other AA's u meet, but trust me, if thet dont like who you are they are certaintly a wast of your time. Embrace who u are and the rest will follow.  

These days ppl embrace indivduality. I  promise for 1 that doesnt like u, there are 10 who will.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by platinumnk(f): 6:00pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tpia - he looks black to me grin

more like this?

[img]http://barbadosfreepress.files./2006/05/African_Man.jpg[/img]
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 16, 2009
That man (I think he's a football player right?) in that photo looks like a Nigerian.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tpiah, I would never say he looks West African, just looks like a black male that could be from any part of the world.

makybe ure blood isnt as mixed as the other AA's u meet,
Perhaps. But why does that make me less African American looking. Not all of them are heavily mixed either. A black or mixed person can be from any part of the world. I just hate that they put me in this box.

That man (I think he's a football player right?) in that photo looks like a Nigerian.

So you mean to tell me that there aren't any AAs who looks like that? I would never go, "he looks Nigerian".

Can someone post a pic of someone who looks African American
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by vanderjo(m): 6:06pm On Jun 16, 2009
@stillwater,
that looks more of a senegalese than Nigerian
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 16, 2009
Tisha313:

Tpiah, I would never say he looks West African, just looks like a black male that could be from any part of the world. Perhaps. But why does that make me less African American looking. Not all of them are heavily mixed either. A black or mixed person can be from any part of the world. I just hate that they put me in this box.

So you mean to tell me that there aren't any AAs who looks like that? I would never go, "he looks Nigerian".

Can someone post a pic of someone who looks African American

You need to come to Nigeria and see a lot of men that look like that.
Re: What's the difference between looking African and African American? by Tisha313: 6:09pm On Jun 16, 2009
There are many African American males who look like that too. A lot of them are not heavily mixed. I'm in America btw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

It May Sound Unbelieveable But, Tell Me Your Nickname And I Will Prophecy... / Are Kenyan Babes Curvier Than SA Babes (18+) / ''how To Woo A Girl And Win Her Heart Perfectly''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.