Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,444 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator (27713 Views)

Ambode Cancels N844b Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge, Terminates concessionaire / Buhari Terminates Oil Swap Agreement / Govt Terminates Ethnic Militia Pipeline Surveillance Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by amiskurie(m): 6:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
I think the Lagos state government finally took actions on my complaint three days ago,I will not relent.my accusations was so strong that gov ambode acted so fast.ajah axis is next,they are in soup.
Public health workers are the next.they must respect Nigerians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by Chiccly(f): 6:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
....singing, "this is super story... " .Terminate their appointment and bring in your own squad. "kontinue" .Ambode, we are watching your government in 3D.

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by persius555(m): 6:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
anonimi:
Because light rail is operating abi how will the people move with LEAST impact on traffic jam aka gridlock that is getting worse daily
Tinubu/Fashola/Ambode what did you do with our taxes, federal allocation, loans, ECA, levies, rates etc?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2135824_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

Dumb post. Is light rail operating btw Mile 2 and CMS. You can be rest assured that their service would be replaced as soon as possible.
NURTW had no business there the first place.

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by slimfit1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
ify2016:
Beef everywhere. Former LAMATA Chairman is now the Commissioner of Transport in Lagos using his influence to terminate other bus operators means of livelihood.

Very pathetic.
Mek them no forget say new air condition buses will one day turn old.

Breach of agreement indeed .

We say that all the time, but these people don't improve their means of livelihood. It is a dog eat dog word . Make your customers feel safe and all will be well. If you read all comments, not a lot of people have said any good about it them, so that means they are not doing their job properly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by MsGlobalwonder(f): 6:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lilimax:
Btw, what do you expect when the buses are mostly owned and driven by NURT (mostly Ageros and touts) undecided
Their buses are glorified Molue buses embarassed
those "molues" and "agbero" rake in millions monthly. Go figure. wink
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by hormotoshor(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
I reserve my comment
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by anonimi: 7:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
naptu2:
The state government granted NURTW a franchise in order to maintain peace (remember that NURTW touts destroyed City Buses in 2001 because they thought that the City Buses were meant to replace danfos and molues).

The NURTW members did not keep to the terms of the franchise agreement (they basically converted the buses to danfos and molues).

The government obviously had to terminate the agreement, but the question is, would NURTW touts resort to destroying Lagbuses?

Question is why is NURTW so powerful in our society
Are we un-evolved monkeys in the JUNGLE with no laws?
Or are our Asiwaju politicians in league with the agberos, area boys and touts

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2147911_cymera20150222114530_jpegbb7cc5a3cc7ccee7c2b50b7bb8f36287
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by manie(m): 7:16pm On Jan 07, 2016
MsGlobalwonder:
those "molues" and "agbero" rake in millions monthly. Go figure. wink

I just watched it on TV, the spokesman for NURTW said the blue BRT buses on that route make a monthly turnover of between N120million and N150 million.
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by naptu2: 7:16pm On Jan 07, 2016
anonimi:

Question is why is NURTW so powerful in our society
Are we un-evolved monkeys in the JUNGLE with no laws?
Or are our Asiwaju politicians in league with the agberos, area boys and touts

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2147911_cymera20150222114530_jpegbb7cc5a3cc7ccee7c2b50b7bb8f36287

O please! Would they have destroyed City Buses in 2001/2002 if he was in control of them?? Would they have sued the Lagos State Government if he was in control of them?? (I hope you know what happened in 2001/2002?)

2 Likes

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by MsGlobalwonder(f): 7:19pm On Jan 07, 2016
manie:

I just watched it on TV, the spokesman for NURTW said the blue BRT buses on that route make a monthly turnover of between N20million and N150 million.
my dear, even just one of those buses will rake in at least 3million monthly, that's after removing maintenance cost and fuel. I'm saying this because I know, don't ask me how. wink Now, that is investment! kiss

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by manie(m): 7:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
MsGlobalwonder:
my dear, even just one of those buses will rake in at least 3million monthly, that's after removing maintenance cost and fuel. I'm saying this because I know, don't ask me how. wink Now, that is investment! kiss

It is not possible to make N3million in a month, a good bus should be able to make 50k in a day and 300k in a week. Income per month for a bus in very good working condition should be about N1.2 million.

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by adedayourt(m): 7:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
PERSOBALLY I SEE THIS AS A WELCOME DEVELOPMNT

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by manie(m): 7:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
naptu2:

O please! Would they have destroyed City Buses in 2001/2002 if he was in control of them?? Would they have sued the Lagos State Government if he was in control of them?? (I hope you know what happened in 2001/2002?)

City bus was very good in 2000, they later diversified into inter-state transportation after their fracas with the NURTW touts in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by MsGlobalwonder(f): 7:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
manie:

It is not possible to make N3million in a month, a good bus should be able to make 50k in a day and 300k in a week. Income per month for a bus in very good working condition should be about N1.2 million.
. There is no point arguing what I know. Oh well.... it's lucrative by all standard. Cheers.
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by naptu2: 7:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
manie:

City bus was very good in 2000, they later diversified into inter-state transportation after their fracas with the NURTW touts in Lagos.

Yes. That's my only fear about this move.

The Lagos State Government banned danfos and molues from Ikoyi and Victoria Island in 2002. This was a test run before a proposed state wide ban.

The government licensed private operators to run transport services instead of molues and danfos. The most popular operator was Cross Country Nigeria, an inter-state transport operator. Cross Country provided intra-state transport services using the name City Bus.

City Buses were air conditioned Toyota Coaster and Hiace buses. The drivers and conductors wore dark blue trousers, white shirts and blue ties. Most of them were graduates. The buses only stopped designated bus stops. The fare was 50 naira for every journey. This suited people who were going from Obalende to Ajah, but was too expensive for people going from Obalende to Falomo.

The agberos and NURTW members went crazy because they could not extort money from the City Buses. They destroyed the buses and bus stop shelters. The Lagos State Government banned touting at bus stops and arrested many agberos (Ikoyi and VI were filled with mobile policemen), but the union went to court to enforce their right to freedom of movement as enshrined in the constitution. They said that bus stops are public places and the government has no right to stop them from entering or standing at bus stops. They won the case.

Students of the Nigerian Institute of Oceanography and Marine Research also destroyed City Buses because they felt that the fares were too expensive.

The Lagos State Government eventually had to back down. They eventually licensed NURTW to provide transport services in Ikoyi and V.I. Cross Country eventually had to pull out of the system because they could not compete with the cheap fares charged by NURTW buses.

NURTW was given a BRT franchise because of what happened during the City Bus experiment.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by tomholly: 7:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Time. Itesiwaju Eko lo je Ambode logun
tolexy007:
The Lagos State Government has terminated operations of the first BRT cooperative run by the National Union of Road Transport Workers from the Mile12 to CMS BRT corridor with immediate effect.

This is contained in a statement signed by the state’s Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, on Thursday in Lagos.

“The termination of the franchise agreement with the operator is sequel to breaches of the BRT operations Service Level Agreement it signed with the state government, despite years of discussions and engagement to ensure SLA was adhered to.

“Though the SLA requires a one month notice prior to its termination, the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, custodian of the agreement, had indeed given a three-month notice which the operator failed to honour,” he said.

The commissioner said the government’s decision had been communicated to the operator on Thursday.
Mobereola said the decision was premised on the inability of the operator to offer good public transport services to commuters on the all-important BRT corridor.

According to him, this has led to incessant complaints by members of the public over poor services provided by the operator.

He said that the state government was against the non-operation of stipulated frequency schedules and operation of buses below 50 per cent fleet capacity contrary to the agreement.

Mobereola said that the breaches which the operator had indulged in and failed to remedy despite being notified prompted the government’s decision.

“The state government on September 29, 2015 served the operator with a notice of termination of the franchise of the agreement.

“The operator pleaded for time to be able to identify other corridors and remove all its buses from the depot, a commitment it failed to uphold,” he said.

Mobereola said the notice of termination of franchise agreement was followed by series of meetings where government maintained its position on the need for the operator to vacate the corridor.
http://www.punchng.com/brt-lagos-govt-terminates-agreement-with-operator/

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by manie(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2016
MsGlobalwonder:
. There is no point arguing what I know. Oh well.... it's lucrative by all standard. Cheers.

My younger brother got a sub-franchise from NURTW so I have more than an average idea of how things are. You need to consider, rush hour traffic, age of the bus, traffic jam and time of the day.

You can get a new Tata bus for N14 million only, this N14 million can be made within 10 to 12 months.

2 Likes

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by Profitsng(m): 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
OK.
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by MsGlobalwonder(f): 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2016
manie:

My younger brother got a sub-franchise from NURTW so I have more than an average idea of how things are. You need to consider, rush hour traffic, age of the bus, traffic jam and time of the day.

You can get a new Tata bus for N14 million only, this N14 million can be made within 10 to 12 months.
I get you, and I understand perfectly. But, some meet up with the cost of the bus in 6months or even less. Well, the bus will b a little over-worked. Depending on management. It's still a good business, getting back capital in 10months. I get you.
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by manie(m): 8:06pm On Jan 07, 2016
manie:

Transportation is a lucrative business in Lagos, government and private sectors operators with experience in transport business and fund managers can set-up a transport fund of a minimum of N50 billion. Lagos state government can have maximum of 10% share in the fund, no private investor should have more than 5% and Lagosian can own 55% share of this fund.
Same can also be done with LAWMA, Water Corporation etc.

2 Likes

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by talktimi(m): 8:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
God bless Fashola for BRT initiative

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by ikorodureporta: 8:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
tolexy007:
The Lagos State Government has terminated operations of the first BRT cooperative run by the National Union of Road Transport Workers from the Mile12 to CMS BRT corridor with immediate effect.

This is contained in a statement signed by the state’s Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, on Thursday in Lagos.

“The termination of the franchise agreement with the operator is sequel to breaches of the BRT operations Service Level Agreement it signed with the state government, despite years of discussions and engagement to ensure SLA was adhered to.

“Though the SLA requires a one month notice prior to its termination, the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, custodian of the agreement, had indeed given a three-month notice which the operator failed to honour,” he said.

The commissioner said the government’s decision had been communicated to the operator on Thursday.
Mobereola said the decision was premised on the inability of the operator to offer good public transport services to commuters on the all-important BRT corridor.

According to him, this has led to incessant complaints by members of the public over poor services provided by the operator.

He said that the state government was against the non-operation of stipulated frequency schedules and operation of buses below 50 per cent fleet capacity contrary to the agreement.

Mobereola said that the breaches which the operator had indulged in and failed to remedy despite being notified prompted the government’s decision.

“The state government on September 29, 2015 served the operator with a notice of termination of the franchise of the agreement.

“The operator pleaded for time to be able to identify other corridors and remove all its buses from the depot, a commitment it failed to uphold,” he said.

Mobereola said the notice of termination of franchise agreement was followed by series of meetings where government maintained its position on the need for the operator to vacate the corridor.
http://www.punchng.com/brt-lagos-govt-terminates-agreement-with-operator/

Bullpoo! Right frm wen d blue brt was introduced frm mile12-ikorodu, they restricted d red BRTs frm using d brt lanes....now they'v extended it to CMS.....a means of monopolozing d service. The no. of passengers conveyed by other BRTs on a daily basis far outnumber dat of the new blue buses...

1 Like

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by niggi4life(m): 8:14pm On Jan 07, 2016
So many people will read this post without understanding what SLA is all about and they will start cursing and blaming the LSG for such move.
In my company, if u agree with a company to provide internet service of at least 99% uptime monthly and you falter, based on the SLA agreed, severe sanctions will be made by the company you are providing the internet for.
This may be in form of you refunding their full payment for the month or partial refund or giving them free internet for another month as the SLA maybe...
Its that bad even though you provided 98.99%

2 Likes

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
The buses are now molue like due to bad roads which d govt shud hv fixed
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by sevule(m): 9:00pm On Jan 07, 2016
naptu2:

Yes. That's my only fear about this move.

The Lagos State Government banned danfos and molues from Ikoyi and Victoria Island in 2002. This was a test run before a proposed state wide ban.

The government licensed private operators to run transport services instead of molues and danfos. The most popular operator was Cross Country Nigeria, an inter-state transport operator. Cross Country provided intra-state transport services using the name City Bus.

City Buses were air conditioned Toyota Coaster and Hiace buses. The drivers and conductors wore dark blue trousers, white shirts and blue ties. Most of them were graduates. The buses only stopped designated bus stops. The fare was 50 naira for every journey. This suited people who were going from Obalende to Ajah, but was too expensive for people going from Obalende to Falomo.

The agberos and NURTW members went crazy because they could not extort money from the City Buses. They destroyed the buses and bus stop shelters. The Lagos State Government banned touting at bus stops and arrested many agberos (Ikoyi and VI were filled with mobile policemen), but the union went to court to enforce their right to freedom of movement as enshrined in the constitution. They said that bus stops are public places and the government has no right to stop them from entering or standing at bus stops. They won the case.

Students of the Nigerian Institute of Oceanography and Marine Research also destroyed City Buses because they felt that the fares were too expensive.

The Lagos State Government eventually had to back down. They eventually licensed NURTW to provide transport services in Ikoyi and V.I. Cross Country eventually had to pull out of the system because they could not compete with the cheap fares charged by NURTW buses.

NURTW was given a BRT franchise because of what happened during the City Bus experiment.

I am pretty impressed by your post!!!!! You sound knowledgeable and your post is obviously well researched. Funny enough I actually stayed in NIOMR during the City Bus period but this is the first time I heard about students destroying the city buses. And I always wondered why the laudable CityBus project suddenly packed up.

Truly Nigerians are our own worst enemies!!!!! Why do we ALWAYS destroy infrastructure whenever we have a grouse?? What ever happened to demonstrations, pressurizing elected officials and other legal means of airing our grievances??

Nigeria is truly a JUNGLE!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by Hysmady(m): 9:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
No wonder I never saw those old blue buses today...
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by Deo27: 11:09pm On Jan 07, 2016
This is a good move on the part of govt, The buses are glorified molue, They will surely renegotiate, I hope this will bring a better service.
Re: BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator by eluquenson(m): 8:20am On Jan 08, 2016
Mismanagement and improper conduct by the NURTW.

They proved they are not the calibre to provide a BRT buses, all their vehicles are badly damaged.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Precious Chikwendu Celebrates Her Birthday Without FFK / Budget Padding: Jibrin Releases Documents, Implicates More Rep Members [see Full / Anthony Okwori, A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram In Borno (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.