Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton (1594 Views)

Nigerian Lady Meets With Hillary Clinton At An Expensive Hotel In The US. Pics / Selfie Of Hillary Clinton And Ngozi-okonjo Iweala / North Korea's New Stunning Airport Puts American To Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by AfroBlue(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2016
Son of Biafra is doing big things in yankee. If she gets elected I'm sure she won't forget about 9ja. Don't forget the Clintons have visited Nigeria several times in the past and are cool with GEJ and Baba Obasanjo, we live in interesting times.

[img]http://www.newhaven.edu/313406.jpg[/img]

Bill Clinton to stump for Hillary in Bridgeport

By Neil Vigdor Updated 12:46 am, Thursday, January 7, 2016

Hillary Clinton is deploying her most valuable asset — defined by Donald Trump as a liability — to Bridgeport.

Former President Bill Clinton will visit the city’s Black Rock neighborhood Jan. 12 for a pricey fundraising reception to support his wife’s White House ambitions.

The $2,700 (₦537,900) per person event is being hosted by software executive Oni Chukwu, according to Clinton’s campaign website. It comes just weeks before Iowa holds its first presidential caucuses on Feb. 1.

The timing of Clinton’s return to Connecticut, where Bill and Hillary met as Yale Law students, is significant.

In recent weeks, the 42nd president has been targeted on the campaign trail by Trump, who said he would consider Clinton’s extramarital affairs “fair game” in a race against Hillary Clinton in the general election. Trump, the Republican real estate mogul, went so far as to compare Clinton to comedian Bill Cosby, who was charged last week with sexual assault.

“I think President Clinton is responding with exactly the right tone and basically declining to dignify Trump’s taunts,” said U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.

Blumenthal went to Yale Law School with the Clintons.

“He is an incomparable emissary and asset to her, especially in Connecticut because they both have longstanding ties and allegiances to our state,” Blumenthal said. “He is one of the most successful presidents in achieving economic growth and job creation in recent American history, ending his presidency with tremendous prosperity, no deficit and great economic momentum.”

But Connecticut’s top Republican went on a Trump-like riff about the former president, saying that Democrats need to look in the mirror next time they accuse the GOP of engaging in a “war on women.”

“We have historical evidence of Bill Clinton’s escapades,” said J.R. Romano, the state GOP chairman. “We’re not talking one transgression here. This is the typical Democratic mantra — don’t look under our bed because it proves we’re hypocrites.”

A request for comment was left Wednesday with Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

Bill Clinton was president during Joe Ganim’s first stint as Bridgeport’s mayor, which ended unceremoniously in 2003 when Ganim was forced to resign and served seven years in federal prison for corruption. The city’s voters overwhelmingly returned Ganim, a Democrat, to his former office last November, capping an improbable comeback that saw his party’s standardbearers such as Gov. Dannel P. Malloy keep their distance from Ganim.

“At this point, the mayor has not yet been invited to the fundraiser,” said Av Harris, a spokesman for Ganim. “So he wasn’t planning on going. But that could change in the future.”

Harris said Clinton visited Bridgeport when Ganim was mayor in 1998 and they had a positive rapport.

“He recalled that very fondly,” Harris said. “The mayor’s door is always open. He’s happy to get together anytime he wants.”

The choice of Bridgeport as a fundraising destination for Clinton is notable departure from the political playbook of both Democrats and Republicans, who tend to frequent the Gold Coast haunts of Greenwich, Stamford and New Canaan for campaign cash.

Chukwu is the president and chief executive officer of etouches, a Norwalk-based software and event management company. He resides in a $4 million contemporary on the water in Black Rock, the wealthiest neighborhood in a city with widespread poverty. A request for comment left Wednesday for Chukwu was not returned.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Bill-Clinton-to-stump-for-Hillary-in-Bridgeport-6740483.php

Oni Chukwu '94 M.B.A.
Chief Financial Officer, Triple Point Technology

http://www.newhaven.edu/alumni/spotlight/oni-chukwu/

Turning Technology into Gold

When the time finally came to resume his education and earn the MBA he had put on the back burner, Oni Chukwu, ’94 MBA, took a leap of faith. “I was apprehensive about UNH,” he recalls. “I was looking for a school where my education would fit with my career in all respects. I wasn’t sure UNH would be it.”

Once he enrolled, Chukwu changed his mind. “I soon realized it was the perfect fit,” he says. “It accommodated my schedule and the classes were filled with students who, like me, were very committed to their careers and brought a lot of experience to the classroom.”

A few years before arriving at UNH, Chukwu had earned his undergraduate degree from the Nigeria Institute of Management and Technology and moved to the United States. Soon after coming to this country, he met his wife, Leslie, and landed a job as the controller with the TowerOne/TowerEast Housing Corporation. It was, he remembers, “a good job for that stage of my career,” and he stayed with the Housing Corporation for five years.

With his MBA in hand, Chukwu began to establish a track record of success turning software and technology companies into gold for their investors. He became chief financial officer with Shelton, Connecticut-based software firm Pinnacle Automation. Two years later, after overseeing its rapid growth, he sold it. Over the next decade, Chukwu held top positions at Eventra, Healthcare Software Synergies, Lexbridge Corporation and KPMG Peat Marwick.

Today, Chukwu is CFO of Triple Point Technology, a leader in commodity management software solutions, with large global customers on six continents. He is responsible for global finance and banking, financial reporting, budgeting and analysis, system administration, human resources, facilities, and all of the company’s other administrative functions worldwide.

Chukwu also is a member of the University’s Board of Governors and serves on other boards. “I’m excited about the direction in which the University is going,” he says, “and I want to use my global connections and unique circumstances to help.”

After all, he is quick to acknowledge the role his UNH education played in his own career success. Coming to the University of New Haven,” he says, “was a wise decision.”

Fostering the entrepreneurial spirit

The journey of a lifetime doesn’t happen overnight.

Oni Chukwu is proof of that. More than geographical distance and time separate the Fairfield County technology executive from his childhood in eastern Nigeria.

Chukwu, the CEO of etouches, a company that provides software solutions for event management, is one of nine children born to a policeman in the capital city of Lagos. Chukwu had a normal childhood until his family became displaced during the Nigerian Civil War, a three-year conflict over an unsuccessful secession attempt by the Republic of Biafra.

“As a result of the civil war, we had to move back to our ancestral home in the east of Nigeria,” Chukwu says. “We were completely displaced. On a firsthand level, I understand the life of a refugee child, because that’s exactly what we lived for the three years that the war lasted.”

The civil war finally ended in January of 1970, with an estimated three million people, including civilians on both sides, killed in the fighting.

“After the war, we were dispossessed of everything we owned and had to essentially start from scratch,” Chukwu says. “It wasn’t easy for a family with nine kids, and because they saw my dad as Biafran, he lost his position on the police force.”

Despite that, Chukwu and his eight siblings all went to college and then, 25 years ago, Chukwu came to the United States.

“I came here to go grad school, and went to the University of New Haven,” Chukwu says. There, he earned a finance-focused MBA that has carried him to success in the business world.

It’s also where he met his better half, Leslie, while he was working in a restaurant.

“I started as a dishwasher,” Chukwu recalls. “It was very productive, because it’s where I met my wife. She was taking a final class for college. She’d come back from Europe and was working as a part-time waitress.”

Shortly thereafter, Oni, the dishwasher, married Leslie, the waitress, and they now have two children. In the intervening 25 years since they met in that restaurant kitchen, Chukwu’s career as an executive guiding technology companies has taken off.

“I made a conscious effort to get into technology,” Chukwu says. “My modus is getting into technology companies, getting into them with some investors, growing them to a size and doing an exit transaction.”

Chukwu has done this with several companies, most recently with Triple Point Technology Inc. in Westport. Triple Point Technology is a company that provides software to the commodities trading industry, enabling traders to develop detailed analytics of commodities chains.

“We grew them from very small to over 1,200 employees with 16 locations around the world and over 500 customers,” Chukwu says. “Triple Point started with a few people, a startup, and we grew it and sold it for a lot of money.”

Just how, Chukwu didn’t want to say. But he’s done that with four different companies that either turned public or were strategically sold.

And while he’s been successful in the business world, there’s more to Oni and Leslie Chukwu than business success.

“That’s my story, but it’s not my legacy,” Chukwu says. “Given my background, given where I came from, it’s important to me and my family to give back.”

Growing up among the displaced and dispossessed of the Nigerian Civil War, Chukwu saw poverty and knows that it isn’t enough merely to give money.

“To make the impact, you have to make it more directly,” says Chukwu. “I always told myself that if I made any money at all, I’d have my own foundation so I can give impactfully to people.”

Chukwu’s Africa Plan Foundation aims to foster the entrepreneurial spirit by providing financing and business advice to startups in Africa and elsewhere.

“I come from a part of the world and part of Nigeria that’s very entrepreneurial,” Chukwu says. “We’ll give them seed capital and then give them the advice that I can as a business executive and entrepreneur myself to help them grow and employ other people. It’s not just a handout to one person, but it’s a help, over time, to a generation.”

Chukwu doesn’t want to limit what he does to Africa, however. He wants to help wherever there is a need.

“The other part of it is that my wife is interested in global health and women’s health in particular,” he says. Leslie Chukwu wants to help provide information and access to women’s health care in the world’s developing countries.

“I see myself as a global citizen. I’m very well-traveled as are my kids and my wife,” Chukwu says, which is an understatement.

Chukwu’s wife Leslie was unavailable to be interviewed for this story, as she and their daughter, Ellington, are volunteering at an orangutan preserve on the island of Borneo. It was his daughter’s idea.

“She’s 17, and she’s doing a gap year,” Chukwu says. “She came up with Borneo. They’re out there reintroducing orphaned orangutans into the wild.”

Evenutally, Chukwu will retire from business and run Africa Plan full-time.

“That’s the kind of legacy I want to leave,” says Chukwu. “Not just another rich guy, but somebody that has done something that has been impactful and helpful.”
Re: Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 12, 2016
Wow. Chukwu is one high achiever. Such a fundraisers are usually for business execs and celebrities; the common man cannot afford to pay $2,000 just for a night. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by gtrust: 2:28am On Jan 12, 2016
Big boys!!!
Re: Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by Nobody: 2:47am On Jan 12, 2016
Igbo haters loading..

Re: Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by Slikbae: 3:26am On Jan 12, 2016
always crying "hatred" and igbophobia.

people don't hate you guys. Rather, they hate the attitude of the bad ones, just as you hate the attitude of any bad person.
imhotep:
Igbo haters loading..
Re: Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton by Nobody: 3:29am On Jan 12, 2016
Slikbae:
always crying "hatred" and igbophobia.

people don't hate you guys. Rather, they hate the attitude of the bad ones, just as you hate the attitude of any bad person.

(1) (Reply)

Popular Hotel In Owerri Razed By Fire - Photos / I Found Myself In PDP By Accident - Bafarawa / Nigeria Ought To Be Recolonized Again For Another 100 Years- TRUMP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.