Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,719 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 (739 Views)

Nigeria's Meningitis Death Toll Now 813- Health Minister / Meningitis Kills Two In Lagos As Death Toll Rises To 438. / Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by jmoore(m): 4:46pm On Jan 08, 2016

Forty people have died in Nigeria in a suspected outbreak of Lassa fever in 10 states across the country, Health Minister Isaac Adewole said Friday.

"The total number (of suspected cases) reported is 86 and 40 deaths, with a mortality rate of 43.2 percent," Adewole told a news conference in the capital, Abuja.

The minister said that so far, laboratory tests have confirmed that 22 of the 86 suspected cases were Lassa fever and results were expected on the remainder.
Seven of the affected states are in the north -- Bauchi, Nasarawa, Niger, Taraba, Kano, Plateau and Gombe -- while the remaining three are in the south -- Rivers, Edo and Oyo -- he added.

The first case of the disease was recorded last November in Bauchi state. Cases were then reported in Kano and elsewhere.

According to the WHO, Lassa fever is an acute haemorrhagic illness which belongs to the arenarvirus family of viruses, which also includes the Ebola-like Marburg virus.

People with Lassa fever do not display symptoms in 80 percent of cases but it can cause serious symptoms and death in the remainder.

The virus, which is endemic in rodents in west Africa, is transmitted to humans by contact with food or household items contaminated with the animals' faeces and urine.

Person-to-person contact is also possible through bodily fluids, particularly in hospitals when adequate infection control measures are not taken.

The number of Lassa fever infections in west Africa every year is between 100,000 to 300,000, with about 5,000 deaths, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Adewole said recorded cases of Lassa fever in Nigeria peaked in 2012 at 1,723 with 112 fatalities but rates have declined since then.

In the latest outbreak, the minister said "most of the cases that we recorded are not through person-to-person contact" but the number of deaths was "unusual".

He expressed concern about disease notification systems, particularly in Niger state, where "unusual" deaths in August were not reported for up to four months.

Authorities in Lagos, Nigeria's most populous city of more than 20 million people, on Thursday alerted residents on the need to observe proper hygiene to curb the spread of the disease.

Source>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3390453/Suspected-Lassa-fever-outbreak-Nigeria-kills-40.html
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by bustykasa(f): 4:54pm On Jan 08, 2016
This is getting serious oo
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by Lilimax(f): 4:55pm On Jan 08, 2016
This is getting worrisome! shocked shocked
Strange diseases are not our portion. Amen!
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by TheFreeOne: 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2016
Let's create awareness and sensitise our neighbours on this outbreak.

Nigerians should join hands against Lassa fever as we all did against Ebola.
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by ojesymsym: 5:18pm On Jan 08, 2016
For those who don't know, lassa fever is worse than HIV. It killed about 5 people back then in school in our final year. It has an incubation period of about 3 weeks. The unfortunate thing is that it will start as fever and be mistaken for malaria.

The campaign then was to avoid soaking garri, cover all food stuff, cook ur meal properly, avoid rats with pointed mouths and stop bush burning because that is what makes the kind of rats leave the bush to homes to seek for food. I recall the fear in all of us then wen course mates were dying one by one.
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by Orjioorji(f): 5:20pm On Jan 08, 2016
GEJ deal with Ebola and it didnt kill up to 40 persons let Dullard the certificate less tyrant deal with this one fast before thunder............... God bless Nigeria
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by Onegai(f): 5:51pm On Jan 08, 2016
Please can this be moved to the front page, people need to know this. Lalasticlala (I hope I spelt that right, are you female by any chance? )
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by kannymoore(m): 7:39am On Jan 12, 2016
Onegai:
Please can this be moved to the front page, people need to know this. Lalasticlala (I hope I spelt that right, are you female by any chance? )

Lalasticlala is a chubby bubbly male guy in his mid to late 30's who lives in the East. grin

That's all I have to reveal...before I take style chop ban tongue

Meanwhile.. how is the lil princess?
Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by Onegai(f): 8:29am On Jan 12, 2016
kannymoore:

Lalasticlala is a chubby bubbly male guy in his mid to late 30's who lives in the East. grin

That's all I have to reveal...before I take style chop ban tongue

Meanwhile.. how is the lil princess?

What princess?? Oh you mean that Holy little terror that woke up constantly at night, is refusing her food but biting everything in site with glee? we've demoted her from princess statute angry

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever Death Toll Hits 40 by kannymoore(m): 9:25am On Jan 12, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy!

Onegai:

What princess?? Oh you mean that Holy little terror that woke up constantly at night, is refusing her food but biting everything in site with glee? we've demoted her from princess statute angry

(1) (Reply)

S.O.S: Oluwafeyikewa Akintayo Needs Our Urgent Assistance / Uyo: Blood Donor Needed In Uyo, Akwa Ibom / Doctor Says He Is Ok, But He Feels Otherwise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.