Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch (16569 Views)

328 New COVID-19 Cases, 161 Discharged And 10 Deaths On June 5 - (1,935 Tested) / Children Suffering From Meningitis Lying On The Floor In Zamfara (Photos) / Meningitis Outbreak In 16 States In Nigeria. See Affected States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by tafrica(m): 9:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Lalasticlala, I don't know which section is most suitable for this, but since many people visit Politics, I post here.
The Federal Ministry of Health has said that 328 deaths associated with Meningitis have been recorded in the country since November 2016.

The Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday by Mrs Boade Akinola, the Director, Media and Public Relations of the
ministry.

Adewole assured Nigerians that the ministry would curtail the outbreak of meningitis ravaging some states.

“We have started working with the affected states on massive awareness and sensitisation, laboratory investigation and
analysis, proper documentation and disease surveillance techniques.’’

The minister added that ministry through the National Centre for Disease Control and National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), had been oftremendous
support to the affected states since the outbreak.

He said the ministry was in constant discussion with World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, E-health Africa and other international health agencies for supplies of vaccines and injections.

“Through our initiatives, we have secured 500,000 doses of the meningococcal vaccines from WHO which will be used in Zamfara and Katsina states with additional 800,000 units
from the British government.

“By next Tuesday, there will be a meeting with the International Review Group of the WHO, where the request for additional vaccines shall be approved, as part of practical and medically certified efforts to stem this ugly incidence.’’

Adewole added that government was not relenting on the progress made, “as we have been assured of millions of vaccine doses through other notable and international donor
agencies.’’

According to him, Nigeria has always been bedevilled with the stereotype A meningitis in years past.

“This new outbreak is from a suspected new strain of the bacterial disease, Meningitis Stereotype C, of which the vaccine is not commercially available in required quantities.

“The vaccine can only be shipped into the country by WHO only, if laboratory investigation confirms the existence of the
strain type C.

“Government is advocating for prompt diagnosis and issued a directive to all federal medical facilities and PHCs to treat all cases of meningitis free of charge.’’

The minister urged Nigerians especially residents of Katsina, Kano, Kebbi, Sokoto, Niger, Zamfara and Jigawa states to seek early attention when discomforted with symptoms of Meningitis.

He also advised Nigerians to avoid clogging together in unventilated and over-crowded rooms.

www.punchng.com/meningitis-death-toll-hits-328/

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Bhadmus77(m): 9:30am On Apr 03, 2017
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by MrEgbegbe(m): 11:02am On Apr 03, 2017

The Northern leaders are just useless and worthless

The North have produced like 5 Nigerian Presidents yet they have the highest rate of unemployment, starvation, terrorism, disease, illiteracy

We don't ask them to do anything for other tribe in Nigeria, what we want is for them to take care of their tribe, develop their tribe, bring their tribe to light, build infrastructure in their tribe

And the sad thing is that all of these brainless Northerners still support and stand firm for APC and Buhari

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by olafunny(m): 11:02am On Apr 03, 2017
Chaiii

All i can say is thank God for granting me good health. Not that I'm not a sinner nor am i a priest, buh you just kindly spare me of sickness. Hmmm I thank you God.

May you never spend the rest of your lives with suckness that is incurable. Amen

5 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by henrydadon(m): 11:02am On Apr 03, 2017
sad

where is buhari ..he need to transport these sick people to the uk fast..double standard for all

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 11:02am On Apr 03, 2017
cry
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by TeamSimple(m): 11:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Heaven please
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Atiku2019: 11:03am On Apr 03, 2017
cry cry
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Lord, pls save your children

3 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 03, 2017
I give up, let us sell this country to china.

They will even let us keep the change

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by GloriaNinja(f): 11:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Many bad things don happen for this buhari regime. Tufiakwa

5 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Ginaz(f): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
sad
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by madridguy(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
This is serious.
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by princechurchill(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
So sad but Kings of the North are not helping their underage voters from dying it's unfair

2 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by goldedprince: 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
this is what happens when people eat useless animals like snakes, monkeys and any shit they see in the forest in the name of bush meat

5 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Feraz(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
Is it my eyes or did I just read since November 2016??

What in heaven's name is going on in this country?

1 Like

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by ekems2017(f): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
Our government is busy fighting the Senate on Magu's confirmation. Until when the death toll rises to a million. That is when they will start calling for stakeholders meeting.

1 Like

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by BlaQWolf: 11:05am On Apr 03, 2017
Hunger is killing more people in Nigeria OP

2 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Tenim47(m): 11:05am On Apr 03, 2017
e worth it
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Nebuchadnezar: 11:06am On Apr 03, 2017
Buhari is a vagabond

1 Like

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by gurunlocker: 11:06am On Apr 03, 2017
I always thank God that Ebola didn't happen during this administration, it would have been disastrous!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 03, 2017
oh my gosh, and my friend was yabbing me for taking the vaccine
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by HIRAETH: 11:07am On Apr 03, 2017
Dear God
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by sisisioge: 11:07am On Apr 03, 2017
Chai! No wonder it got spread like wildfire in the north, those peeps can spit on their mothers! They just roll the thing off their throats and dump it anywhere! I've been hit once before in Jigawa! It is well.

May the good Lord cleanse the land and make the sick whole again. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 11:08am On Apr 03, 2017
Ah, within a short period?
Lord pls have mercy.
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by Fmdipo(m): 11:08am On Apr 03, 2017
may God help us in this country

Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by nothingmega122(m): 11:08am On Apr 03, 2017
Nigeria my country when is it gonna end
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by blaqroy: 11:10am On Apr 03, 2017
And some dumb ones are still hailing the present regime.... God overlook our character and help us plz
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by babablogger: 11:10am On Apr 03, 2017
I trust people especially for lagos them go dey avoid each other like hell

Bae(s) am sorry no kissing till further notice the fear of meningitis is real
Re: Meningitis: Death Toll Hits 328 - Punch by johnson232: 11:11am On Apr 03, 2017
gurunlocker:
I always thank God that Ebola didn't happen during this administration, it would have been disastrous!
True...this administration is headed by selfish people, only concerned about their selfish interest. I pray dey lose in 2019.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MRI Machine At UCH Ibadan Is Not Working. Patients Suffering. / Help! My Brother Has Sickle Cell / Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.