Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. (11347 Views)

Construction Of Fourbedroom Duplex And Two Unit Of Two Bedroom Flat @ Isheriopic / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / Twin Two Bed Apartment For Sale At Lambe Akute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 11:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
beansandgarri:
The 3500 blocks will not be enough for the project. I intend to do this project in phases because of funds and time. This project is situated in calabar and I where I am based is 4 hours away from site.

girl congrats, am so jealous right now tongue tongue

God give u strenght and resources to finish it
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by beansandgarri(f): 12:30am On Jan 16, 2016
bebe2:

girl congrats, am so jealous right now tongue tongue

God give u strenght and resources to finish it

Amen.God bless you too. We shall not be distracted by unnecessary things instead we will leave legacies for our children.Amen.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 1:09am On Jan 16, 2016
beansandgarri:

Amen.God bless you too. We shall not be distracted by unnecessary things instead we will leave legacies for our children.Amen.

Amen.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 1:23am On Jan 16, 2016
beansandgarri:

Amen.God bless you too. [/b]We shall not be distracted by unnecessary things instead we will leave legacies for our children.Amen[b].

amen ooo, 40th birthday party cool so tempting grin grin but i refuse to be distracted.

this money must go towards a building project.

all aso-ebi will be rejected grin grin

need to focus cool cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by brabus(m): 2:24am On Jan 16, 2016
^^^
And God will see you through and through. Good to see Women of Valour here.

I throway salute!

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by olumide4christ: 3:44am On Jan 16, 2016
bebe2:

amen ooo, 40th birthday party cool so tempting grin grin but i refuse to be distracted.

need to focus cool cool

With this statement, you're really one of a kind of woman. That's the way to go- in life, some things are just more important and critical than others!

God bless and strengthen your resolve!

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by olumide4christ: 3:48am On Jan 16, 2016
beansandgarri:

What an epic statement! I wish so many people understood this fact.

God bless your hustle!
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by brabus(m): 3:54am On Jan 16, 2016
Mr Olumide4Christ, are you on whatsapp? Pls chat me up on +2348023429122

Thank you.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by erico2k2(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2016
johnson232:

@bold, the ground floor is held solely by the sand underneath. Blocks can't hold ground floor slab, because it is not reinforced..

Why do u think people spend so much money on compaction, some even wait for rain, because the filling sand is the major thing supporting the German floor....

Some people don't even do block capping, they just floor with concrete after roofing....
Some people do not even use concrete to floor the grounds just cement and sand. We should not copy bad practices we should improve on the good ones.Let me ask you a question how do you now have same levels across all rooms when you now have walls up?.I repeat the walls will support your floor same way the beams round your walls on suspended slabs supports it. (Some people do not practice this as well)
If I'm building on water do I need compacted sand?no I need good pullers and a good reinforced slab.so it will rest on the pillers and walls as they (walls)will bear some weight.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by erico2k2(m): 9:24am On Jan 16, 2016
bebe2:

need to focus cool cool

Madam how much B unu rate I hear say E reach 385 na true?
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by 4nobody4every1: 9:55am On Jan 16, 2016
johnson232:

@bold, the ground floor is held solely by the sand underneath. Blocks can't hold ground floor slab, because it is not reinforced..

Why do u think people spend so much money on compaction, some even wait for rain, because the filling sand is the major thing supporting the German floor....

Some people don't even do block capping, they just floor with concrete after roofing....
l have seen several buildings like that built on dry land and they are still standing gidigba sef, l also have one of my properties like that and it is still standing... cool
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by micgray100(m): 11:37am On Jan 16, 2016
As a professional Engineer with COREN and vast years of experience, I wont support concrete capping on foundation block walls. Nevertheless, Circumstances make engineers/ builers sometimes compromise to this when clients give excuse of finance.

Technically, it is wrong.. Reason is just two..

1. The floor slab is suppose to be be monolithic. Casting the floor space later will cause tiny cracks along the joint... Concrete expand that is why you hear of expansion joint.. On this case.. No expansion joint.

2. When floor slab is casted monolithically, the weight of the slab is distributed evenly to all the support : Rammed floor, block wall, solid filled block wall and column as the case maybe.. Casting floor later mean the floor slab is supported solely by the rammed floor.. This is not good.

Conclusively, damping could have been managed if adequate provision of DPM was given or water repellents where used during the capping... The OP highlighted the location was water free with good Soil bearing capacity ... Which means her methodology of building is the within fair range...

But.. OP.. Put this in mind.. All Buildings have life span... Your methodology above must have in one way or the other reduced its life span.

To those asking where Coren wrote where u cant cap or separate your floor slab... There is no where u will see that.. What you will see in engineers design code where it is clearly stated that floor slab or suspended slab must be casted monolithically.

Engr. A.L Onakomaya MNSE, COREN, M.Structures..

Watsapp me on 07032728941 if anyone wants further discussion....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 16, 2016
micgray100:
As a professional Engineer with COREN and vast years of experience, I wont support concrete capping on foundation block walls. Nevertheless, Circumstances make engineers/ builers sometimes compromise to this when clients give excuse of finance.

1. The floor slab is suppose to be be monolithic. Casting the floor space later will cause tiny cracks along the joint... Concrete expand that is why you hear of expansion joint.. On this case.. No expansion joint.

2. When floor slab is casted monolithically, the weight of the slab is distributed evenly to all the support : Rammed floor, block wall, solid filled block wall and column as the case maybe.. Casting floor later mean the floor slab is supported solely by the rammed floor.. This is not good.

Conclusively, damping could have been managed if adequate provision of DPM was given or water repellents where used during the capping... The OP highlighted the location was water free with good Soil bearing capacity ... Which means her methodology of building is the within fair range...

But.. OP.. Put this in mind.. All Buildings have life span... Your methodology above must have in one way or the other reduced its life span.

To those asking where Coren wrote where u cant cap or separate your floor slab... There is no where u will see that.. What you will see in engineers design code where it is clearly stated that floor slab or suspended slab must be casted monolithically.

Thank you for this detailed explanation.

This is what I've been looking for and it makes sense.

Though I'm building a small 24x50 bungalow and on very firm virgin soil, I have introduced 11 short pillars. So what I understand is that by pouring a monolithic slab then his pillars will help carrying the loads alongst with the filings and blocks.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 2:12pm On Jan 16, 2016
olumide4christ:

With this statement, you're really one of a kind of woman. That's the way to go- in life, some things are just more important and critical than others!

God bless and strengthen your resolve!

grin

Grey hairs don dey stick out oo,

Need to plan for future. Kids born abroad don't know how to financially look after their parent.

Was telling my 9yr old son dat he shud do well in school so he can look after me , he replied, " But
How can I? Am going to have my wife and children to look after, daddy will look after u, he has money"

I was shcoked, my husband was on thr floor laughing like no man's business grin

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 2:21pm On Jan 16, 2016
erico2k2:

Madam how much B unu rate I hear say E reach 385 na true?

Yes oo, but na 375 I dey do sha.

It's climbing but no 385 yet.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by erico2k2(m): 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2016
micgray100:

Weldone sire.thus was my stands.I actually put pen to paper and discovered you save nothing for what it's worth ,you spend more.plus a less stable floor.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by olumide4christ: 9:06pm On Jan 17, 2016
brabus:
Mr Olumide4Christ, are you on whatsapp? Pls chat me up on +2348023429122

Thank you.

Okay, I will Brabus. Just seeing your post now.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by olumide4christ: 9:25pm On Jan 17, 2016
micgray100:

Thanks so much sir for your explanation; coming from a professional in the house. Your explanation concludes the matter and has proved me right, not wrong.

Like they say, anything worth doing is worth doing well!! Property investment is capital-intensive and standards should not be compromised, so as to get maximum lifespan of the building (as you mentioned) and minimal maintenance/repair costs over its life span.

Some people desire to spend less when building by reducing standards but at the end of the day spend much more on repair/maintenance costs over the lifespan of the building, resulting in a much higher LIFE CYCLE COST. More or less, a case of penny-wise, pound foolish!

Have a blessed week ahead, sir!
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
erico2k2:

Weldone sire.thus was my stands.I actually put pen to paper and discovered you save nothing for what it's worth ,you spend more.plus a less stable floor.

The ones that have done it here on NL have all stated that they did it to progress the building quickly and return to do the flooring at a later date.

Never for cost savings.

If I had done it for my garage floor it wouldn't have been for cost saving but to maximize structure height quickly.
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by dubemcapital(m): 9:49pm On Jan 17, 2016
beansandgarri:
Phase 1
Excavation to dpc.
The excavation was done at 3 meters since its a bungalow and the dpc built up to 6 coaches because the land is table but not even. Since the land is not swampy. I decided to do a capping on the dpc and the German floor will be done later.

Am impress that a woman is doing this good job, but you aught to get yourself a structure professional cheesy . It's a good one. But ma what is the importance of the capping beam on the foundation form work since you said is not swampy or smectite soil.

It's more or less not necessary and not advisable since is not a damp proof measure.

However, Is not obviously harmful to the building if you blind the soil surface with a thick concrete ( over the foundation itself. The purpose of this is to seal in underlying material and prevent dirt and mud from interfering with the structure). just that it is likely going to add a load to the normal weight of the building which may not be bad since is a bungalow.

Weldon ma,
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by plasgidy: 11:44pm On Jan 17, 2016
micgray100:

Well said base on professional point of view, some body did a ground beam all over the dpc well chained with 12mm rod later did the individual concrete flooring. Pls is there any concern for this?
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by erico2k2(m): 9:31pm On Jan 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The ones that have done it here on NL have all stated that they did it to progress the building quickly and return to do the flooring at a later date.

Never for cost savings.

If I had done it for my garage floor it wouldn't have been for cost saving but to maximize structure height quickly.
I get that bit but still you wont complete the building any faster either way you go ,But I can assure you doing anything with walls up becomes double work whether filling or german floor as you have to access the space via the doors,I dunno if I'm sounding clear.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 19, 2016
erico2k2:

I get that bit but still you wont complete the building any faster either way you go ,But I can assure you doing anything with walls up becomes double work whether filling or german floor as you have to access the space via the doors,I dunno if I'm sounding clear.

I know what you mean. Tight dark spaces to work etc but some of us bought land in areas where they tell you specifically not to leave the land alone and to place a structure on it.

For that purpose, N1m for German floor can raise the walls past lintel level and maybe even do roof carcass.

Both my buildings will have German floor but I understand those that won't do theirs until later due to cost. Not long term saving but immediate use.

But I understand your position, not all of us are swimming in Londoner money like you and Hajj grin
Re: Construction Of A Twin Two Bedroom Bungalow. by erico2k2(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I know what you mean. Tight dark spaces to work etc but some of us bought land in areas where they tell you specifically not to leave the land alone and to place a structure on it.

For that purpose, N1m for German floor can raise the walls past lintel level and maybe even do roof carcass.

Both my buildings will have German floor but I understand those that won't do theirs until later due to cost. Not long term saving but immediate use.

But I understand your position, not all of us are swimming in Londoner money like you and Hajj grin
Baba we are same page angry grin this is a clear case of buying one cup of rice as to one bag of rice. cheesy.God is our strength provider.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) / Causes Of Building Collapse And Precautionary Measures To Take. / Fluted Panel / WPC (Cladding panel) @7000 Per Length

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.