Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? (7348 Views)

Opinion: Why Unemployment Is A Choice / 3 Most Sort After ICT Job Portfolios In Nigeria (my Opinion) / Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by ProudOlodo: 2:00pm On Jan 10, 2016
wroskian:

Thanks Jazzy. We can also learn from you wink
From recent stories, I bet Jazmiynne could provide some important practical lessons smiley
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by petiteee(f): 2:08pm On Jan 10, 2016
ProudOlodo:

From recent stories, I bet Jazmiynne could provide some important practical lessons smiley
this ur Monika tho grin
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by wroskian(m): 3:51pm On Jan 10, 2016
ProudOlodo:

Spot on. wink
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by ProudOlodo: 4:46pm On Jan 10, 2016
petiteee:
this ur Monika tho grin
grin That moniker is pregnant with plenty goodluck. You won't believe it if I told you the story behind it
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by petiteee(f): 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
ProudOlodo:

grin That moniker is pregnant with plenty goodluck. You won't believe it if I told you the story behind it
I dont mind
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by ProudOlodo: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2016
petiteee:
I dont mind
You see, the story is that there's actually no story behind it smiley

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by petiteee(f): 10:13pm On Jan 10, 2016
ProudOlodo:

You see, the story is that there's actually no story behind it smiley
I was expecting that. Don't letz derail this thread

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by odimbannamdi(m): 9:08am On Jan 11, 2016
Jamean:

of course wink
this is not romance section

i see no relationship between my comment and yours.
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by kingzx0(m): 9:37pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nice one OP, with respect to this referee thing it's really subjective. It never worked for me, Coz I've changed jobs and my CV never caption the referee spot. Some recruiters find it annoying to see 'refree available on request' why put that when you're not including any. I see it as waste of space.

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by amicable09(f): 11:09pm On Jan 17, 2016
kingzx0:
Nice one OP, with respect to this referee thing it's really subjective. It never worked for me, Coz I've changed jobs and my CV never caption the referee spot. Some recruiters find it annoying to see 'refree available on request' why put that when you're not including any. I see it as waste of space.
You spoke my mind! You took the very words straight out of my mind.
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by butanep(m): 11:15pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nice thread... let me drop my point.

I think including referees in your CV is an obsolete system of computing CV of the 21st century except you are convinced that the referee will make you stand on a better chance of getting the Job.

Fraudsters and scammers are everywhere looking for prey to feed on so we need to be careful about it because we often send our CV online to every job recruiting site without even knowing the real or fake ones. When I registered on jobberman then, I started getting invite message from one fate GNLD people. I had to send a message to them to disconnect me from their server.

I had an experience in a bank also where my referees almost make me loss the job. When the recruiter looked at my referees in my CV, he asked about them, their net worth and if I can convinced them to their bank. I said one is a civil servant and the other is a lecturer, the man just kissed. He said they need a referee that is into a good business. I was surprised how has that got to do with the my job in the bank. Someone with a referees of a business tycoon got the job almost immediately because the said person is his uncle. From that day I had to review my CV.

The stupid part of it is that the job na 60k & they need a referee that worth over 10million. Banks can be so stingy n useless...

It all depend on the organisation policy and HR personnel. I think referee should be neglected when writing CV. You can just have a one page referees which you take along when going for interview. When you are asked you tender it to them and give good reasons why it is not part of the CV. That available upon request looks awkward to me and I feel it will be same to employers n recruiters.

The point is that if the job is yours, with or without referees, you will get it.

That's my point.

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by amicable09(f): 11:27pm On Jan 17, 2016
butanep:

I think including referees in your CV is an obsolete system of computing CV of the 21st century except you are convinced that the referee will make you stand on a better chance of getting the Job.

Fraudsters and scammers are everywhere looking for prey to feed on so we need to be careful about it because we often send our CV online to every job recruiting site without even knowing the real or fake ones. When I registered on jobberman then, I started getting invite message from one fate GNLD people. I had to send a message to them to disconnect me from their server.

I had an experience in a bank also where my referees almost make me loss the job. When the recruiter looked at my referees in my CV, he asked about them, their net worth and if I can convinced them to their bank. I said one is a civil servant and the other is a lecturer, the man just kissed. He said they need a referee that is into a good business. I was surprised how has that got to do with the my job in the bank. Someone with a referees of a business tycoon got the job almost immediately because the said person is his uncle. From that day I had to review my CV.

The stupid part of it is that the job na 60k & they need a referee that worth over 10million. Banks can be so stingy n useless...

It all depend on the organisation policy and HR personnel. I think referee should be neglected when writing CV. You can just have a one page referees which you take along when going for interview. When you are asked you tender it to them and give good reasons why it is not part of the CV. That available upon request looks awkward to me and I feel it will be same to employers n recruiters.

The point is that if the job is yours, with or without referees, you will get it.

That's my point.
Beautiful contribution. I like your signature *smiles.
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by butanep(m): 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2016
amicable09:

Beautiful contribution. I like your signature *smiles.

Thanks dear...

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
I will advise one leaves it out. I mean if your are not putting any name, there is no need for that Item on your CV. Your employers will still ask for contact details of either your past employers or referees. I think it's only advisable one leaves it when one's referee is an employee or a known person to the Company.
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by Jazmiynne: 10:28am On Jan 18, 2016
wroskian:

Thanks Jazzy. We can also learn from you wink

To say the truth the matter also confuses me..

At first I used "Available on Request"

Later I read somewhere (probably here on NL) that "Available on Request" is as good as a death wish.

I changed it and put details of my referees

Now from the thread here it seems like "Available on Request" is best for the protection of my referees privacy

I think it makes more sense that way unless otherwise specified.

Would be modifying my CV to suit
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by karleone(m): 11:49am On Jan 18, 2016
butanep:

That's my point.

@bolded
What then should be put under the 'Referee' heading?

Seconding Amicable09 @Lovely siggy..

1 Like

Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:46pm On Jan 18, 2016
karleone:

@bolded
What then should be put under the 'Referee' heading?

Seconding Amicable09 @Lovely siggy..

i think Butanep meant that since we aint adding any referees at all, there is no need adding the REFEREES section as opposed to writing "Available upon request".

I second his motion too
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by deturla: 5:46pm On Jan 18, 2016
Since 2012 that I started applying for jobs! I have never added referees in CV. The understanding we had back in the days was that adding Referees add credibility and give credence to your CV. But in actual fact and every sense of it, I don't think it could amount to you being called for test or not.

Based on consultations with experts in the recruiting business, most recruiters don't have the time to check your referee before you are invited for test! You know ? For graduate trainee positions where more than 100,000 candidates would be called for tests and all. At the first level which is the test stage. Who cares what referee you have indicated! So far you have met the criteria stated for writing test ( which in most cases) are your type and class of degree, then you are very good to be called for the entry level test.

Be that as it may, it is important to note that in the event where you have passed a test and then called for interview, you may now decide to update your CV by adding what may be key and sensitive, because at this time, it is now a function of what the recruiter sees including the references and how you can sell yourself.

I have never used reference in my CV, and it has stayed that way! That does not stop me from being called for tests and Interviews.

Bless
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by butanep(m): 6:19pm On Jan 18, 2016
odimbannamdi:

i think Butanep meant that since we aint adding any referees at all, there is no need adding the REFEREES section as opposed to writing "Available upon request".

I second his motion too

Yeah. That's what I meant.
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by butanep(m): 6:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
odimbannamdi:

I second his motion too

You re right . That's what I meant
Re: Referee Details Or "Available Upon Request"? What's Your Opinion? by odimbannamdi(m): 10:42pm On Jan 18, 2016
deturla:
Since 2012 that I started applying for jobs! I have never added referees in CV. The understanding we had back in the days was that adding Referees add credibility and give credence to your CV. But in actual fact and every sense of it, I don't think it could amount to you being called for test or not.

Based on consultations with experts in the recruiting business, most recruiters don't have the time to check your referee before you are invited for test! You know ? For graduate trainee positions where more than 100,000 candidates would be called for tests and all. At the first level which is the test stage. Who cares what referee you have indicated! So far you have met the criteria stated for writing test ( which in most cases) are your type and class of degree, then you are very good to be called for the entry level test.

Be that as it may, it is important to note that in the event where you have passed a test and then called for interview, you may now decide to update your CV by adding what may be key and sensitive, because at this time, it is now a function of what the recruiter sees including the references and how you can sell yourself.

I have never used reference in my CV, and it has stayed that way! That does not stop me from being called for tests and Interviews.

Bless

An insightful post coming from a former veteran job seeker. Sir, I believe God has provided you with the job of your dreams?

(1) (2) (Reply)

70k Job In Abuja: Advice Needed! / Alan & Grant Latest Graduate Trainee & Exp. Job Recruitment (20 Positions) / Frsc Payroll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.