Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? (1274 Views)

"Women Who Wear Trousers, Eyelashes Are Sinners" - Pastor Lazarus Muoka / Akwa Ibom Man's Opinion On The Church Building Collapse Gets Him Blasted / The Married Women That Respect Their Spiritual Leaders More Than Their Husbands. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2016
This argument is going in my Facebook group and majority of them think it is ok for a lady to wear trousers.

So I want to get your own opinion.

But before then, I want you to know this.

The version of the bible that "seem" to condem the act is Deuteronomy 22:5 which says
"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

My problem with the verse.

When I saw the post on Facebook, I decided to research to find out what the bible really says about women that wear pants and here is what I saw that confused me.

Deut. 22:5 is found among many other ceremonial laws so I was like
If it is indeed a principle to be literally followed today, why would God choose to bury this verse in the middle of what are clearly ceremonial laws?

So I digged deeper and found other things like.

1 Timothy 2:9 that says. . .
women should adorn themselves in modest apparel. . ."

Yes apparel.

How that one take concern trousers you might ask

well,.... I discovered that in 1611 the word "apparel" meant "loose, long flowing garment"

So it wasn't just an old testament thing?

You don see am.

Upon further search, I discovered that the Greek word for apparel is katastole which is an exact word and and the only place in the Bible where it is used. There are lots of words for clothing, attire but no matter how you try to twist katastole, clothes like trousers, miniskirts, tight dresses, etc. can not fit the definition of this word.

That strikes.

I believe y'know that the universal symbol for designating a men's bathroom is a stick figure wearing a pair of pants. The universal symbol for designating a woman's bathroom is a stick figure wearing a dress.

I also learnt that pants were not only exclusively invented for men, but they also have historically been worn only by men, it was the advent of Hollywood and the movie screen that brought the major in our attire. Women women always wore long dresses, it was recently, 40 years ago that a dress is suddenly "impractical" to wear.

So Let Me See What You Think Of The Topic.

State facts, don't condem it because you don't wear it and don't support it because you do.

History or bible references will be highly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 10, 2016
Post is too long
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by chumaster(m): 4:32pm On Jan 10, 2016
they wear them on their waists and legs and not on mine. so it is none of my business

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 4:37pm On Jan 10, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Post is too long
Reply the topic, we can start from there.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
Reply the topic, we can start from there.

What is the topic?
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 10, 2016
The bible shouldn't be a book to get morality from because that book was written by men who never attained the age of enlightenment and filled with lots of flaws, inconsistencies and contradictions.

Women should wear whatever deem fit so to express themselves fashionly and aesthetically, there's is no limit to beautification according to the RENESSIANCE that's why we have fancy cars, buildings and a lot more today.

Lastly, If you thinks I make zero sense with my opinion then I would advice you follow the bible verbatim and see if you wouldn't end up in jail.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 4:44pm On Jan 10, 2016
Suigeneris93:

What is the topic?
Your opinion on women that wear trousers, from a Christian perspective though.

I know what we'll go into if you're not a Christian.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2016
aaronson:
The bible shouldn't be a book to get morality from because that book was written by men who never attained the age of enlightenment and filled with lots of flaws, inconsistencies and contradiction.

Women should wear whatever deem fit so to express themselves fashionly and aesthetically, there's is no limit to beautification according to the RENESSIANCE that's why we have fancy cars, buildings and a lot more today.

Lastly, If you thinks I make zero sense with my opinion then I would advice you follow the bible verbatim and see if you wouldn't end up in jail.
gringringringringrin

How's that going to land me in jail
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
Your opinion on women that wear trousers, from a Christian perspective though.

I know what we'll go into if you're not a Christian.

Okay, I see nothing bad with women wearing trousers, I wear trousers and I'm comfortable on it too
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
gringringringringrin

How's that going to land me in jail
right bro, check out these bible verses and ensure you obey them all.

Exodus 20:18 kill folks with different religion

Deuteronomy 22:20 kill bride if isn't a virgin

Psalm 137:9 Cast a new born againt the rock

Deuteronomy 13: 12-16 Kill an entire town for not worshipping God

Jeremiah 19:9 Cannibalism, eating you own children.

And many more dehumanizing verses.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 10, 2016
aaronson:
right bro, check out these bible verses and ensure you obey them all.

Exodus 20:18 kill folks with different religion

Deuteronomy 22:20 kill bride if isn't a virgin

Psalm 137:9 Cast a new born againt the rock

Deuteronomy 13: 12-16 Kill an entire town for not worshipping God

Jeremiah 19:9 Cannibalism, eating you own children.

And many more dehumanizing verses.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

A Christian obeys the world of God in the bible not the law of the writer's land.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2016
Suigeneris93:

Okay, I see nothing bad with women wearing trousers, I wear trousers and I'm comfortable on it too
Don't support it because you wear it and don't condem it because you don't is the only rule.cheesycheesy

Are you a Christian?
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

A Christian obeys the world of God in the bible not the law of the writer's land.
lmao, cracks me up, what is the word of God if his laws are not embedded in it. Again, following that logic, you just wrote me, you just provided the answer for which you started the thread, how? Since christians obeys the word of God and not laws, Don't you think the bible is irrelevant and nonsensical by bringing about woman fashion code of conduct in the first place.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Tallesty1(m): 5:29pm On Jan 10, 2016
aaronson:
lmao, cracks me up, what is the word of God if his laws are not embedded in it. Again, following that logic, you just wrote me, you just provided the answer for which you started the thread, how? Since christians obeys the word of God and not laws, Don't you think the bible is irrelevant and nonsensical by bringing about woman fashion code of conduct in the first place.
There are two types of laws in the bible and one of them is "the hukkim laws".

Those ones are strictly for the nation of Israel and I am yet to see them in the new testament, but the issue about women's attire are in both places, hence my confusion.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
There are two types of laws in the bible and one of them is "the hukkim laws".

Those ones are strictly for the nation of Israel and I am yet to see them in the new testament, but the issue about women's attire are in both places, hence my confusion.
Regardless, we wouldn't relegate the fact that its still law and embedded in the bible which happens to be the world of God, be it the new of old Testament, I could also write out atrocities from the new testament scripture. Doesn't make no different but different versions of laws handed down from the same God.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 10, 2016
[quote author=Tallesty1 post=41846989][/quote]
The fact is that in the first instance, the trouser was not yet even invented, and I believe in the second instance too in the new testament. So I do not believe both verses are referring to trousers.

The first is referring to clothing as men did, which must have been a bit different, maybe in colour, length of the gown, or design. To show they were men. The equivalent of that now would be cross dressing. It's probably just for the sake of separation and clarity. The same reason there existed laws about not mixing seed or weights.

With reference to apparel, it was cultural that everybody wore flowing lose apparel. Fashion at that time was not existent. The one thing that remains constant is the meaning of modesty. At the time, also what is modest in Palestine was different from Africa, India, Europe...

My though is that modesty is dictated by the environment. So you are modest according to what people around you/your environ approves.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
Don't support it because you wear it and don't condem it because you don't is the only rule.cheesycheesy

Are you a Christian?

Lol, I'm judging myself. I'm more comfortable on trousers so I'm almost always on it. Being a xtian or not doesn't change anything
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
WHO SAID TROUSERS ARE HISTORICALLY MEANT FOR MEN ALONE? THAT IS WHY WE HAVE MALE AND FEMALE TROUSERS DESIGNED AS SUCH, I CANT WEAR A FEMALE TROUSER AND A FEMALE SHOULD NOT WEAR MINE! BUT TROUSERS WERE ORIGINALLY WORN BY BOTH SEXES (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers )
AGAIN, CLOTHES WORN BY INDIVIDUALS FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD ARE DIFFERENT, THE WOMEN IN ISRAEL WORE APPAREL WHILE DURING THAT TIME, AFRICANS WORE WHAT? CULTURAL DIFFERENCES ARE OFTEN FOUND ACROSS BACKGROUNDS, SO NOT ALL WOMEN MUST WEAR APPAREL.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by orisa37: 4:43am On Jan 11, 2016
Right.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by Creamish(f): 11:24am On Jan 11, 2016
Yaksson:
WHO SAID TROUSERS ARE HISTORICALLY MEANT FOR MEN ALONE? THAT IS WHY WE HAVE MALE AND FEMALE TROUSERS DESIGNED AS SUCH, I CANT WEAR A FEMALE TROUSER AND A FEMALE SHOULD NOT WEAR MINE! BUT TROUSERS WERE ORIGINALLY WORN BY BOTH SEXES (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers )
AGAIN, CLOTHES WORN BY INDIVIDUALS FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD ARE DIFFERENT, THE WOMEN IN ISRAEL WORE APPAREL WHILE DURING THAT TIME, AFRICANS WORE WHAT? CULTURAL DIFFERENCES ARE OFTEN FOUND ACROSS BACKGROUNDS, SO NOT ALL WOMEN MUST WEAR APPAREL.

Secondly...I don't think the Jewish men at the time the Bible was written wore trousers...they also wore gowns. So how exactly is it that you (OP) believe the Bible is referring to "Trousers" when it was not even in existence then?

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by ProfSamurai(m): 11:28am On Jan 11, 2016
Morality is embedded in the motive of an action.

Nothing bad in it.
Re: Your Opinion On Women That Wear Trousers. Right Or Wrong? by tammie24: 9:59pm On Jan 11, 2016
For me it's about comfort
so,
Right!

(1) (Reply)

Lmao! Checkout This Hilarious Church Sign Board / A Supernatural Being Seeking To Marry A Girl / Is It Wrong For Pastor To Buy Fuel From Black Market ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.