Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery (1980 Views)

5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? / 2013 Wrangler Sport Limited Parasitic Drain - Dead Battery Every Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by cecegorz(m): 1:33pm On Jan 12, 2016
Guys,
I am having this parasitic drain issue right now! Car is 2003 Highlander V6.
I packed the car yesterday morning and after switching off ignition (leaving the radio ON for like 3mins), I noticed the Radio audio deteriorating gradually, and the inner light too waning. So I switched off the ignition completely, then ON again but the battery gave those krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound.
I said OK, maybe the battery is dead, having used it since it came in the car some 2 years ago, I called a battery dealer who came in with a new battery and installed it. Powered it ON and it responded one time with no hesitation, so without driving the car again, I shut down and went back to the office (that was around 12noon)

Then as I closed from work, I got to the car around 6pm to joyfully drive home, only to notice firstly from the remote key that the response from the car to UNLOCK the door was very very slow, so I opened the door, slotted in the key to start and the brand new battery gave NO RESPONSE!
As I tried starting, all the dash lights, inner lights, just dimmed and went off!

Please who can help trace this parasitic drain, I don't want all these Lagos rewires that use teeth to cut and join wires all over the place.
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:07pm On Jan 12, 2016
start with the alternator
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by honmusa(m): 2:19pm On Jan 12, 2016
As discussed ,call autologic @ 08061166316 we will send one of our engineers to u tomorrow to diagnose and repair any issue causing drain on your battery .
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
start with the alternator

how can he start with alternator when he changed the battery and the new battery drained without him even driving the car ?
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:54pm On Jan 12, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

how can he start with alternator when he changed the battery and the new battery drained without him even driving the car ?

I said start by checking the alternator. Some smart people would know it's one of the few components connected directly to the battery.
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:03pm On Jan 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I said start by checking the alternator. Some smart people would know it's one of the few components connected directly to the battery.

yes its connected but how can a alternator drain the battery

may be you have seen one alternator draining the battery but with me i have never seen one
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by mayor2013: 11:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

may be you have seen one alternator draining the battery but with me i have never seen one

You might not have seen one. But I have seen one. The culprit happened to be the alternator From experience would start in this order

1) battery
2) alternator

If both are fine then a parasitic drain test needs to be carried out. Also check for voltage drop
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by seyiaderinto(m): 11:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
so may things can cause a battery drain in a vehicle. u can also check for security system installed on the car
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26am On Jan 13, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

I vividly remember you never seen a failing fuel pump. There's a lot of things you are yet to "see".

1 Like

Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by cecegorz(m): 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2016
UPDATE! UPDATE!!

I got a Rewire yesterday who came in with one pen bulb with cord, so we pulled out a good battery from another car and kick-started mine, he connected the pen bulb to one of the battery terminals and the bulb came on. I expected the dude to come over with a Voltmeter and take readings from some terminals, but he never did. (This is Nigeria where we test live cables with tongue) sad sad
He said normally the bulb should go off after a few mins if all connections are in order, but the bulb kept beaming.
So, he opened the fuse box, started yanking and replacing the fuselage one after the other, while watching to see when the pen bulb will go off, eventually the light never went off.
He advised that I'll need to bring it down to his workshop for a comprehensive scan today, as the preliminary checks didn't turn up any issue.
Later he removed the battery while the engine is still running and installed back my battery allowing it to charge up. As my battery charged up, he shut the engine and removed one of the cables (to avoid draining again) on the advise that when I'll leave in the evening, I'll replace the cable and then drive home. I was supposed to repeat the cable removal process when i get home in the night, and replace in the morning to start. So, in the evening I replaced the cable, cranked the car to life and went home, but I deliberately didn't want to remove the cable again.
I was preparing for another drama in the morning but surprisingly, when I cranked it, the battery was alive to it's duty and the engine came on immediately, so instead of going to the Rewire's workshop, I went to the office straight. As I parked, I still didn't remove the cable, just trying to see if it will drain again.
I just went to the car park now, and checked again, cranked and the car came alive!

I guess I can now assume that the world peace has been restored?
P.S. I called the battery dealer to keep my old battery for me, as I can see from these outcomes that the battery is still in good condition cheesy

cc: ZIMDRILL, GAZZUZZ
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:59pm On Jan 13, 2016
cecegorz:
UPDATE! UPDATE!!

I got a Rewire yesterday who came in with one pen bulb with cord, so we pulled out a good battery from another car and kick-started mine, he connected the pen bulb to one of the battery terminals and the bulb came on. I expected the dude to come over with a Voltmeter and take readings from some terminals, but he never did. (This is Nigeria where we test live cables with tongue) sad sad
He said normally the bulb should go off after a few mins if all connections are in order, but the bulb kept beaming.
So, he opened the fuse box, started yanking and replacing the fuselage one after the other, while watching to see when the pen bulb will go off, eventually the light never went off.
He advised that I'll need to bring it down to his workshop for a comprehensive scan today, as the preliminary checks didn't turn up any issue.
Later he removed the battery while the engine is still running and installed back my battery allowing it to charge up. As my battery charged up, he shut the engine and removed one of the cables (to avoid draining again) on the advise that when I'll leave in the evening, I'll replace the cable and then drive home. I was supposed to repeat the cable removal process when i get home in the night, and replace in the morning to start. So, in the evening I replaced the cable, cranked the car to life and went home, but I deliberately didn't want to remove the cable again.
I was preparing for another drama in the morning but surprisingly, when I cranked it, the battery was alive to it's duty and the engine came on immediately, so instead of going to the Rewire's workshop, I went to the office straight. As I parked, I still didn't remove the cable, just trying to see if it will drain again.
I just went to the car park now, and checked again, cranked and the car came alive!

P.S. I called the battery dealer to keep my old battery for me, as I can see from these outcomes that the battery is still in good condition cheesy

problem is still there.

1 Like

Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by Originalsly: 9:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
Not a mechanic....but I think the problem is in the leads or whatever you call the piece and wires connecting to the battery. The wire/lead connection may be loose, worn or frayed... and may be shortcircuiting somewhere along the line. I suggest you inspect that and if old and all worn out...change it. Most likely .. in reconnecting the battery the wire happen to set in a way that can carry the charge...but that would shift with time and the problem resurface. Just my thoughts.
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by mayor2013: 9:04pm On Jan 13, 2016
cecegorz:
UPDATE! UPDATE!!

There is something draining up your battery voltage. Further diagnosis need to be done
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
cecegorz:
UPDATE! UPDATE!!

also just double check if your battery terminals are very tight. being loose make you think that the battery is dead or hot holding a charge
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by cecegorz(m): 2:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
All right guys!
It's about two weeks now, and I decided to really give it time before dropping another feedback.
I want to say firstly that the issue NEVER happened again, and that battery has been performing top-notch as it used to be.
While I will say that the Rewire didn't actually pi-point the actual culprit, and couldn't say for sure if the issue was fixed, but his trouble-shooting actions was very much standard procedure.
I watched a youtube clip on parasitic drain diagnosis, and it was exactly the same process, the only difference been that instead of using an Ammeter that can read slight differentials in current, he was using a pen bulb. I want to assume that while he was flipping ON and OFF various components switch, he unkwowing fixed one of them which was probably stuck in an ON position.

So, the good news is that I have been enjoying my ride ever since.

Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
cecegorz:
All right guys!
It's about two weeks now, and I decided to really give it time before dropping another feedback.
I want to say firstly that the issue NEVER happened again, and that battery has been performing top-notch as it used to be.
While I will say that the Rewire didn't actually pi-point the actual culprit, and couldn't say for sure if the issue was fixed, but his trouble-shooting actions was very much standard procedure.
I watched a youtube clip on parasitic drain diagnosis, and it was exactly the same process, the only difference been that instead of using an Ammeter that can read slight differentials in current, he was using a pen bulb. I want to assume that while he was flipping ON and OFF various components switch, he unkwowing fixed one of them which was probably stuck in an ON position.

problem is still there, you just have a new battery that holds charge longer.
Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
cecegorz:
All right guys!

good to hear, we work in totally different environments and my 10 years in motor industry i have never came across a alternator that drain power from battery when the car is off (this was suggested as the cause )

the good thing is that your car is back to normal

from what you said it seems like it was either a normal switch or relay that was stuck and the testing using the bulb triggered it to go back into it normal operating position

1 Like

Re: Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery by cecegorz(m): 1:11pm On Feb 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

problem is still there, you just have a new battery that holds charge longer.

You seem to have missed the point. The new battery was also draining away within hours initially.

Trust me. The issue is FIXED.

(1) (Reply)

Get your car A/c back working like factory fixed.. "Abuja" 08061371793 / Re:The Cause And Remedy To The Sound / Radiator Fan Keeps Working After Engine Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.