Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,880 members, 7,862,968 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:56 AM

Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation (1071 Views)

Ambode Welcomes Walmart, Seeks Firm’s Support On Job Creation - Punch / (Picture) Obama: US Govt Wants Cars To Talk To Each Other / Boko Haram’ll End When Fed Govt Wants, Says Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2009
NIGERIA has asked the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to initiate policies that will boost employment generation in the country.

Labour and Productivity Minister, Adetokunbo Kayode, stated this yesterday in Abuja while receiving the Resident Representative of the IMF to Nigeria, Mr. David Nellor, in his office.

Also, to strengthen its collaboration with the United Kingdom and build its adaptation and mitigation capacity in addressing the impact of climate change, the Federal Government and British Council have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on global warming research.

Besides, about $300 billion would be borrowed by some African countries to help cushion the effects of the global cash crunch.

According to the minister: "It is quite true that Nigeria has had some relationship with the IMF over the years maybe the relationship has not been rosy as expected. In the late 80s and 90s, the IMF was known for harsh economic policies maybe it has moved from there now to a more beneficial approach but I can tell you that right now we have serious economic problems as a result of the global economic crisis. What Nigeria requires from the IMF is strong support. The recent World Bank report revealed that though Nigeria has indeed recorded some economic growth in the last 10 years, this does not reflect in the number of employment opportunities created during the period. I am worried because my ministry is responsible for making sure that employment is created and here we are having a seven to eight per cent economic growth without any impact on the employment generation. This situation has been compounded by the global economic meltdown. So our economic deficit is very huge. So, the IMF and other international bodies should come to the aid of Nigeria to tackle unemployment."

Posted To The Web: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - Collins Olayinka and Florence Oretade, Abuja
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2009
I personally will advice the IMF to ask the govt what they have done so far to create employment or to encourage private coys to create jobs, or to even help the Small Medium Entrepreneur to stay in biz.
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by asha80(m): 4:29pm On Jun 19, 2009
Chai!So the yaradull's brain don block so tey na to call imf to help am on job creation. grin
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2009
That is how messed the leaders of our lovely nation are
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by bombay: 7:33pm On Jun 19, 2009
This is the most stupid idea i have ever heard imagin a government with brain asking the imf for policies to stimulate job creation.
This government e bad o.
So what is the minister for these particular ministery doing.
This is why am say nigerians are bloody brainless and brain dead.
what is so hard in creating jobs in nigeria.
Daft mother F@@@rs.
Stupid individuals
Hausa man brain dead.
Thank God after yara dua it will be 50yrs before anothe malu will touch that place ewu.
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Ibime(m): 7:44pm On Jun 19, 2009
Guys, dont be too hasty to condemn the guy now.

Is Nigeria the only country looking to IMF to help with ground-level job creation? How about all the micro-finance initiatives that the Asian countries raised with the IMF?

However, one must wash his clothes before he asks someone else to iron it for him.

If the minister is serious about tackling unemployment, how about reducing the 85% import rate we currently have?

How about encouraging greater self-dependency amongst all Nigerian regions, not parasitically waiting for oil from the Niger Delta?
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by bombay: 7:49pm On Jun 19, 2009
Ibime you have a very good brain. grin
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:54pm On Jun 19, 2009
Ibime:

Guys, dont be too hasty to condemn the guy now.

Is Nigeria the only country looking to IMF to help with ground-level job creation? How about all the micro-finance initiatives that the Asian countries raised with the IMF?

However, one must wash his clothes before he asks someone else to iron it for him.

If the minister is serious about tackling unemployment, how about reducing the 85% import rate we currently have?

How about encouraging greater self-dependency amongst all Nigerian regions, not parasitically waiting for oil from the Niger Delta?

Like i said earlier, I hope the IMF will ask the Yar'Dull what he has done to help his own nation and not just come to them for everythig, i am sure soon, they will go to IMF to help them in how to make people keep the job.
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by bombay: 7:58pm On Jun 19, 2009
Remember SAP
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by bawomolo(m): 9:45pm On Jun 19, 2009
bombay:

Remember SAP

was the problem SAP or the inability of IBB to implement any meaningful policy?
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by asha80(m): 9:48pm On Jun 19, 2009
bawomolo:

was the problem SAP or the inability of IBB to implement any meaningful policy?

What makes you it is going to be different with yaradua?
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by bawomolo(m): 9:59pm On Jun 19, 2009
asha 80:

What makes you it is going to be different with yaradua?

i have faith in my village headmaster president. cool
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 10:03pm On Jun 19, 2009
It is a known fact that Yar'Adua cant do jack, the guy has been in power for how long now and nothing has been done and nothing to show that he even know what he is doing.
Any update on the governor of CBN, any change of policy yet?
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by blackspade(m): 11:54pm On Jun 19, 2009
Wow, are they keeping a tally on the debt they're racking up? What's the interest rate on these IMF loans again?
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by strangleyo: 11:55pm On Jun 19, 2009
The problem is, we've been here before. In 1999 Obasanjo took on the initiatives as per the guidelines of the IMF, however in 2002 he had to abandon them due to powerful self interests within the ministries, union threats of mass strikes, and general incompetence or outright refusal of their implementation.

IMF has good medicine for economic stimulation, but as a pharmacist tells you when  you when get your prescription medicine, "Take it regularly or it won't work".

The policies are always the same, and they are proven to work:

1 - Cut down the public sector size to minimize corruption and bureaucracy
2 - Privatize major government revenue generators to also minimize corruption and increase market efficiency
3 - Increase local revenue base by liberalizing the land market, allowing for easier purchase of property for the average citizen
4 - Tackle inflation, preferable target for inflation should be 2%-8%, anything over will create overheating of the economy
5 - Reduce trade barriers with neighbours (already done).

So, look at the list, tell me which one we can tackle without some form of riots, destruction, mass action industrial strikes, sabotage, or outright wilful negligence of implementation due to self interest.

I'm all for IMF help, but it comes down to our will in implementing its recommendations.

I can see this turning into the Uwais report.
Re: Nigerian Govt Wants IMF Aid On Job Creation by Fhemmmy: 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2009
strangleyo:

The problem is, we've been here before. In 1999 Obasanjo took on the initiatives as per the guidelines of the IMF, however in 2002 he had to abandon them due to powerful self interests within the ministries, union threats of mass strikes, and general incompetence or outright refusal of their implementation.

IMF has good medicine for economic stimulation, but as a pharmacist tells you when  you when get your prescription medicine, "Take it regularly or it won't work".

The policies are always the same, and they are proven to work:

1 - Cut down the public sector size to minimize corruption and bureaucracy
2 - Privatize major government revenue generators to also minimize corruption and increase market efficiency
3 - Increase local revenue base by liberalizing the land market, allowing for easier purchase of property for the average citizen
4 - Tackle inflation, preferable target for inflation should be 2%-8%, anything over will create overheating of the economy
5 - Reduce trade barriers with neighbours (already done).

So, look at the list, tell me which one we can tackle without some form of riots, destruction, mass action industrial strikes, sabotage, or outright wilful negligence of implementation due to self interest.

I'm all for IMF help, but it comes down to our will in implementing its recommendations.

I can see this turning into the Uwais report.

Nothing wrong in asking for help. but what have you done to help yourself be4 asking for help from outside body?

(1) (Reply)

Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail / Robbers Kill Dpo, Two Other Policemen In Bank Robbery In Ogun State. / What's The Progress On The 5,000 Mega-watt By December 31.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.