Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison (42849 Views)

Delta Paid Ibori N250m In UK Prison / FG Begins Process To Extradite James Ibori After Gaining Freedom From UK Prison / James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by opeyemiieblog(m): 5:43am On Jan 15, 2016
ibori again

must read.... Security alert: Terrorists Now
Hide IEDs Among Vegetables http://www.praizeblog.com/2016/01/security-alert-terrorists-now-hide-ieds.html?m=0#more
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by fr3do(m): 5:49am On Jan 15, 2016
I don't know why some people want to by all means paint Okowa as Ibori's boy boy
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by wheredemdey: 5:50am On Jan 15, 2016
The Blackman is a huge problem to the entire universe...gosh...see the way supposed youths...leaders of tomorrow are supporting a man that stole from them.....ibori is in the same class as tinubu etc bt u all glorify them.

Shame on you all. .shame.....africans truly deserve the leaders we get....someone should just nuke this african continent that all we do is consume and spoil the rest of the world.

7 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by jaybee3(m): 6:02am On Jan 15, 2016
Psalm18:

He does not have a choice on the matter.
When you convicted of a crime in another country.
On completion of the sentence, YOU are DEPORTED back to your country, in this case. Ibori will be forcefully kept in a plane and flown back to Nigeria.

He cannot tell the British authorities, I want to go to Dubai or the Caribbean.

In addition, he can kiss ever visiting USA and other Western nations goodbye, till his death. He will not be issued Visa.
The truth is Ibori has been reduced despite all the noise his supporters will make here or offline.

A lesson to others. cool
Seun
Mynd44... Let Nigerians see how investigation and sentencing is carried out. The British police nabbed Ibori with forensic evidence and provided irrefutable case.

He can't be deported since he is also a British citizen
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Saheed9: 6:26am On Jan 15, 2016
He is still calling the shots even from prison.
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by anytaij: 6:34am On Jan 15, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by ddippset(m): 6:37am On Jan 15, 2016
Rad1cal:

**** Ibori remains the godfather of Delta State politics even while in prison.
imagine that a criminal and ex convict is the god father of delta state politics and you're here bragging about it! Nigeria is the most cursed country on earth!

11 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 15, 2016
From #DasukiGate to #IboriAirport
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by kurupt1: 7:01am On Jan 15, 2016
GEJ should just be wary.......this ibori is a wounded man and he wouldn't forget the role GEJ played in his incarceration.
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Tokt: 7:14am On Jan 15, 2016
Rad1cal:

Ibori is an overlord and kingmaker in Delta, you can keep your rants to yourself.

u are right. and also a convicted criminal grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by 0taPiaPia(m): 7:16am On Jan 15, 2016
Rad1cal:

**** Ibori remains the godfather of Delta State politics even while in prison.

then it will be in line to say that Delta as a state is Finished......

9 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by bakynes(m): 7:26am On Jan 15, 2016
jaybee3:

He can't be deported since he is also a British citizen
He wasn't born there, so his Citizenship can be revoked.

9 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by jaybee3(m): 7:29am On Jan 15, 2016
bakynes:

He wasn't born there, so his Citizenship can be revoked.

Yes it can be revoked but highly unlikely since he isn't a threat to the British people
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by yomalex(m): 7:35am On Jan 15, 2016
Like it or not this guy is loved. I served in Delta, they tell you it was Ibori that made people know there was/is money in Delta

2 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 15, 2016
MayorofLagos:

There is somrthing called prisoner swaps between sovereign nations. Ibori is a high target criminal who looted the State. Im not sure but I suspect he is being swapped for a Briton in Nigerian jail. If thats the case, he will spend the rest of the sentence in his home country, Nigeria. So law enforcement will be waiting for him on arrival for forward transfer to prison for the remaining 9yrs of his sentence abroad. If EFCC reopen his case and he is tried and found guilty the judge might add more years to run concurrently or give recognition and commute his sentence to time served.

I doubt this is a swap. He was convicted on a 10-count charge, so I wager some of those were running concurrently.

Also, recall he had been in British custody since 2010 before he was convicted in 2012. So this is counted as well towards his 13-year term.

See vanguard report on this.

Chief James Ibori to spend 4½ years in UK prison
The judge further considered the fact that since the prison calender is different from the normal calender, that means Ibori is expected to spend half of the jail term which is six and half years. He also said he would deduct the 645 days he had spent in detention facilities both in Dubai and UK. For that he deducted 645 days from the six and half years. It means that he would spend about four and half years in prison in the UK. The judge therefore sentenced him to one year each for money laundering offences and three years for the sale of V-mobile shares.

In a disarming cavalier manner, Justice Pitts started the sentencing at about 2.30pm by saying: “I am going to pass a sentence for the crime you have committed. On any view these are serious offences that will inevitably attract lengthy sentences”.

With that he reviewed the prosecution’s case against Ibori and concluded that his offences must have impacted negatively on his people while he refused to take into account the character witness of Nigerian ex-international football star John Fashanu by saying that the weighty things they credited to Ibori did not concern him. “I am not assessing your tenure as governor of Delta (Delta State). I accept that there is another side of you that is good as painted by John Fashanu”. He, however, said that pales into insignificance considering the issues raised by the prosecution which he said he could not ignore.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/ibori-to-spend-4½-years-in-uk-prison/

1 Like

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by stunning4real: 7:43am On Jan 15, 2016
Frostty:
i read some comments and i weep 4 dis country.imagine sum1 stole d funds meant 4 d populace and was jailed and some idiots can still refer to him has thr hero.Lord pls save our country 4rm dis total mess
I guess some people don't know the meaning of 'hero'

5 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 15, 2016
jaybee3:

Yes it can be revoked but highly unlikely since he isn't a threat to the British people

Any evidence to show he's British? I doubt it though.

I find it really putrefying that some clowns have come here to call this convicted criminal their hero. You all are shameless lowlifers. Nigeria needs to be purged of ugly people like y'all.

9 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by lielbree: 7:49am On Jan 15, 2016
Iborri is well loved in delta and the Niger delta.
He really worked as a governor
His only crime remains his agitation for resource control
I can't wait for his realise
His a hero!
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by ShowYourCertificate: 7:49am On Jan 15, 2016
huntila:
If he is wise, he should remain outside the country for now till the Polity calms down. Or Else, As soon as he comes back , EFCC & DSS will have him as guest
But if he decamps to the APC he will be free wink

1 Like

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by chioma9191(f): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2016
Ibori!!!

1 Like

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 15, 2016
hollywater:
Are they like celebrating him or what?

Nigerians celebrate everything... From Volcanic eruption to Ocean tide movement.

2 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by lielbree: 7:51am On Jan 15, 2016
yomalex:
Like it or not this guy is loved. I served in Delta, they tell you it was Ibori that made people know there was/is money in Delta
The haters will always hate.
The people he served, his own people love him
That's all that matters
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 15, 2016
AS A SEER AND A GIFTED SON OF GOD, IBORI WILL ONE DAY RULE NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by maestroz: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2016
democracy is finished in Nigeria. in other news, some hoodlums were apprehended in Fadeyi for a paltry sum of 200k not in the category of what Ibori was alleged to have stolen yet they were given maximum shishi. No ambode to receive them, not even the pardon of the president could spare them yet we are here celebrating Ibori who should rot in jail for the crimes he committed against deltans.

the likes of Dasuki that suddenly turned ATM dispensing machine in the previous administration is always shown protected and hailed but the common man that stole N500 is being thoroughly tried in the 'jungle justice' court. These ones (Dasukis) would be freed afterwards and integrated into the society to recontest.

Oga o

Life is truly not fair.

10 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by lielbree: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2016
hollywater:
Are they like celebrating him or what?
Yes we are celebrating him!
You are not from Delta
His a hero
His only crime was the agitation for resource control.
He did not steal more than your governor.
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by oforij(m): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2016
All hail the Ojukwu of Delta... The Abacha of Delta...welcome back Prince
Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by tomdon(m): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2016
what nonsense.
so a theif is to be given a rousing welcome and not to be ashamed.
to think that he is still running things from prison is flabbergasting.

1 Like

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Madamkilljoy(f): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria where politicians who embezzled public funds (later on, imprisoned abroad) are welcomed as heroes amidst pop and fun.

5 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 15, 2016
lielbree:
Iborri is well loved in delta and the Niger delta.
He really worked as a governor
His only crime remains his agitation for resource control
I can't wait for his realise
His a hero!

Don't you feel silly?

4 Likes

Re: Ibori Set To Return From UK Prison by Zoe99(f): 7:55am On Jan 15, 2016
This is really ridiculous!Why would they welcome someone who looted the treasury of Delta state?smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Stable Power Supply Underway , Says Buhari / Oguntoye, Overall Best In NDA 60RC Killed By Boko Haram (Photos) / Aerial View Of Peter Obi Rally In Owerri (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.