Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,767 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Vegetarianism - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Vegetarianism (3339 Views)

The Hypocrisy In Vegetarianism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vegetarianism by FerrariGP: 9:30pm On Jul 02, 2009
@ Toladop, guy u r too much, u said the koko abeg, naija is already overpopulated with humans, not eating those animals will lead to population explosion,
Even competition for scarce resouces such as water etc with animals, haba thats too much,
If its not panadol e no fit be like panadol,
Cowleg(bokoto) for me all the way,
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 9:38pm On Jul 02, 2009
FerrariGP:

If its not panadol e no fit be like panadol,
Cowleg(bokoto) for me all the way,

lol
Re: Vegetarianism by rubi(f): 3:09am On Jul 03, 2009
vegetarian is good it makes one look health and loose weight too. I am FAN OF VEGE
Re: Vegetarianism by mayrho(m): 8:38am On Jul 03, 2009
Vegans exist in Nigeria and of course if govt bans meat "what happened in 1873 will happen again"
and sorry to go off topic
@ wanville & oyinda it is AMORC Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMORC
but cult na cult no matter how gentle they may be
It was rumoured that you had to be a member to thrive in the law profession in Nigeria
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 8:43am On Jul 03, 2009
what happened in 1873??
yea i saw the amorc website and it seems like a cult to me. that's interesting tho
Re: Vegetarianism by mayrho(m): 8:58am On Jul 03, 2009
grin nothing its like the phrase "bob is your uncle"
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 9:02am On Jul 03, 2009
hhaha. grin never heard of bob is ur uncle but that's funny sha
Re: Vegetarianism by mayrho(m): 9:07am On Jul 03, 2009
@ oyinda check
http://www.google.com.ng/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=bob+is+your+uncle&btnG=Search&meta=
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 9:17am On Jul 03, 2009
haha very interesting. made me smile
Re: Vegetarianism by mayrho(m): 9:34am On Jul 03, 2009
oh really that's cool
Re: Vegetarianism by Marlbron: 10:07am On Jul 03, 2009
Tayo-UK:

How can any average Nigerian living in Nigeria be a vegetarian? In a country where we struggle to eat 3 square-meal a day.

But for Nigerians living in the western world where you have choices of eating everything else apart from meat, why not?

I just can't imagine someone eating any of our local foods with no meat grin How would someone enjoy efo-riro with no dry fish or crayfish? grin

I once met an Aussie girl that never tasted meat at 33yrs of age because her parents also are vegetarian. I can't imagine any of our own parents not eating meat and anyone that decided not to eat meat is by choice or just trying to adjust to the western culture.

These are my opinions tho.

Tayo, I am convinced that you can practice vegan anywhere. To be honest it is a myth that food is cheaper in the Western world than in Nigeria. A myth , not reality. Lets check. forget the so called Niger fastfood outlets. Focus on Bukas. Yes, bukas! Most Nijas feed from Bukas from Oga to small man! I tell you dollar for dollar, quality for quality, Nijas feed better than their bros and sis in other parts of the world. Where they lack are the food compliments ike milk etc. But that is because the average Niger family is lazy. Soya bean products are abundant but rarely used. Wheat and corn are similarly available but again rarely used. In the midst of plenty. Nijas suffer. Pity!
Re: Vegetarianism by Nezan(m): 10:28am On Jul 03, 2009
oyinda.:

what happened in 1873??
yea i saw the amorc website and it seems like a cult to me. that's interesting tho
d Amorc thing is scary,lol
Re: Vegetarianism by jantavanta(m): 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2009
Hi All, I have been vegetarian for 14 years. It is very convenient in the UK and western europe, because every restaurant has a veggie menu.

Travelling by Air (intercontinental flights) requires booking veggie meals(I suggest asian vegetarian for its near-African spicyness) 48 hours in advance. Even then, some snacks may contain eggs, so one has to read the contents carefully.

In Nigeria, Nigerian restaurants have not yet recognized veggie meals in their menu. But if you make a special request, they can give you vegetarian efo and pounded yam a la carte! But the Igbo roasted yam seller can serve you uba (seed) and utazi (vegetable) mixed with palm oil. Would suggest Chinese restaurants for vegetable fried rice (always insist without eggs) with tofu and vegetables. In an Indian restaurant, go for Palak Paneer with rice.

In the animal kingdom, herbivores (pure plant eaters) have a longer life span than carnivores (pure meat eaters).

As for spiritual/occult component of being a vegetarian, if there is a soul that is part of the body, then what is good for the body should also be good for the soul.

If fish and meat were banned by government, people will derive more pleasure from eating meat, simply because it has become something
illegal. grin
Re: Vegetarianism by yjay(f): 2:03pm On Jul 03, 2009
my sister stopped eating meat abt 4yrs ago! at first i thot it was a joke thinking she cldnt hold on for long but she has, 4yrs & still counting! i tried to emulate her but i just couldnt, it takes one to be extremely disciplined to be able to keep up, i mean not just meat but every pastry that has meat in it! its hard but pple do it, but i cant!!!! love my beef too much!!!!! wink
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
jantavanta:

If fish and meat were banned by government, people will derive more pleasure from eating meat, simply because it has become something
illegal. grin

lol interesting
Re: Vegetarianism by redsun(m): 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2009
http://www.bromleyhealthmanagement.com/news/general/00110redmeatandcancer.htm

Eating of red meat could be very complicating,and that is the reason why i don't eat it,it is not because i am so much in love with animals that they can't be considerably killed for food,like most extreme vegetarians do.
Re: Vegetarianism by jantavanta(m): 10:35pm On Jul 04, 2009
Animals would possibly recognise vegetarians as friends: to be a vegetarian is to be closer to nature. If there was a time when human beings and animals lived together, then the people had to be vegetarians.
Re: Vegetarianism by Tatase(f): 1:37am On Jul 06, 2009
@ topic

More power to those who can do it. I could probably give up meat but I don't think I can give up the taste. I made vegeterian jollof rice for my friend who's vegeterian, I used vegetable stock etc but something was just missing, it wasn't bad it just didn't have something.

Vegans are a little inconvenient to cook for in Nigeria unless the whole family is vegan. A vegan friend of my mothers came to stay and all their food had to be cooked separately because of meat stock and it was all like beans and eggplant which aren't my favourite things at all. The menu was very limited lets just say. . .

Also I don't like militant vegans/vegeterians who will be giving you bad eye when you're eating meat and talking about not wearing leather shoes and bags and slaughtered animals when you're obviously wearing leather shoes or eating meat. I think everyone should eat what they want but some vegeterians/vegans etc tend to want to shove it down everyone elese's throats.
Re: Vegetarianism by Nezan(m): 10:34am On Jul 06, 2009
jantavanta:

Animals would possibly recognise vegetarians as friends: to be a vegetarian is to be closer to nature. If there was a time when human beings and animals lived together, then the people had to be vegetarians.

grin grin grin
Re: Vegetarianism by zenatta: 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2009
was a vegetarian for three years In Nigeria oh yes. It bothered my mother though especially during Christmas and Easter when so much meat was doing the rounds. I had fun. I was slimmer and looked better, Maybe I felt better or[i] 'dreamt' [/i] better cannot remember. I was however what I'd call a social vegetarian cos I got high on people's reaction when I told them I was one. I remember one day in the aircraft, I was doing/making Shakara, I rejected what the air-hostess was offering and shakararily pointed out I was a vegetarian but could have something that had egg in it. ( Vegetarian or vegan what's it to be?) That was all the air hostess needed. Bad mouthed Nigerian woman, she gave it to me not forgetting to add bad manners for measure.Days of Nigerian airways!I must have still been in shock when I arrived Nigeria
Last days of my puttin on airs
I would still want to be a vegetarian for health reasons o. who am I impressing now? My daughter is a natural vegetarian if there is anything like that
I know I would love tofu. Am weird really
Re: Vegetarianism by breathless(m): 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2009
My Boss is a vegan. I'm not tryin g to b one, tho i feel d need to shed some weight on my seemingly purthruding belle grin. anyway, i thinks its a cool substitute for cutting cost in d face of dis economic crisis grin all na pattern 2 survive grin
Re: Vegetarianism by oyinda3(f): 9:39pm On Jul 06, 2009
zenatta:

was a vegetarian for three years In Nigeria oh yes. It bothered my mother though especially during Christmas and Easter when so much meat was doing the rounds. I had fun. I was slimmer and looked better, Maybe I felt better or[i] 'dreamt' [/i] better cannot remember. I was however what I'd call a social vegetarian cos I got high on people's reaction when I told them I was one. I remember one day in the aircraft, I was doing/making Shakara, I rejected what the air-hostess was offering and shakararily pointed out I was a vegetarian but could have something that had egg in it. ( Vegetarian or vegan what's it to be?) That was all the air hostess needed. Bad mouthed Nigerian woman, she gave it to me not forgetting to add bad manners for measure.Days of Nigerian airways!I must have still been in shock when I arrived Nigeria
Last days of my puttin on airs
I would still want to be a vegetarian for health reasons o. who am I impressing now? My daughter is a natural vegetarian if there is anything like that
I know I would love tofu. Am weird really

LMAO you're very funny grin
Re: Vegetarianism by AyoB(f): 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2009
@Malbron
who da heck ever heard of odourless shi**t?
u teasin eh?
Re: Vegetarianism by rs123: 8:56pm On Jul 08, 2009
I would never turn vegan because i LOVE bacon and i couldn't live without it. I would die before i turned into a vegetarian. They are always WAY too skinny and never have enough protein or iron in their systems. they tend to be very unhealthy and malnourished.
Re: Vegetarianism by rs123: 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2009
I neva heard of odorless sh*t either by the way
Re: Vegetarianism by zenatta: 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
[quote][/quote]Fayahsoul

Your digestive tract is a second brain, not only does it look like a brain but it has a concentrated amount of nerve cells(both sympathetic and parasympathetic) just like the brain. And 80% of your immune cells are in your digestive tract. Apart from genetic diseases, almost every other dis-ease begin in the digestive tract. The brain(pineal gland) and digestive tract are the abode of the soul.
     this kind of talk is a major turn on. eat only what is valid.

Your digestive tract is your bodies sewer system. If it gets clogged up and gluey due to excess decaying animal produce, the sewer will begin to leak into your blood stream as the villi cells that line the intestinal surface transport all sorts of toxins from the decaying animal produce
               food for thought no pun intended. makes you wonder if all that food and sugar is worth it after-all
@Marlbron

Your body becomes a fit place for the Holy Spirit to dwell. On a physical level your health situation improves dramatically. You are younger and fresher. Ageing is slowed. A 50+year vegan will look 30+year, to give you a prspective      
The toilet thing is true. If you keep fish or meat outside for a few days, the get rotten and infested with maggots. They give out nasty odour. Go figure. That happens in your alimentary canal with meat and fish. Your sh*t as a  non-vegan is filled with odour. For a practising vegan it is odourless. When a veagn dies, his body can stay longer without decomposing!
         well said, an article after my own heart. One does feel better when the system is not clogged. Way to go!
Re: Vegetarianism by YawaDonGas: 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2009
I tried giving up meat for the whole period of lent one time,  it was haaaaaaaaaard. Now, just giving it up on Fridays of lent is hard. It seems that's the day someone always walks by with some meat-based dish.

I know I digress, but I have a question,  if you give up meat on Fridays of lent, and you go to a party with irresistable meat, you take the meat home to eat it at 12:01am later on,  did you really give up meat for the day?
Re: Vegetarianism by dominique(f): 10:55pm On Jul 10, 2009
I guess so, the most important thing is that you stayed off meat for the lent period :-/
Re: Vegetarianism by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 11, 2009
i am a vegetarian,

and am nigerian too,
Re: Vegetarianism by chanseroo(m): 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2009
Good Reason To Eliminate Meat,Vegetarian Diet Can Prevent Impotence,Skip Those Menopausal Symptoms,Vegetarian Foods at Your Fingertips,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogbono And Okra Mix / How To Make Special Jollof Rice For The Weekend / World’s Most Expensive Food Is 8 Million Naira Per Teaspoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.