Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,575 members, 7,812,870 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview (2236 Views)

Should I Quit My Job For NYSC??? / Oh My God! I Lost My Job! / My Job Interview Experience Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 18, 2016
Matt Burrough, a Microsoft Engineer, gave this answer to the question: What is the craziest thing you have ever said (or done) at an interview and still got the job?

“I cooked dinner during my interview, and I took my dog on a walk.”

I find his answer very funny and very insightful. As at the time of writing this, his response has over 21,000 views and over 100,000 thousand votes on Quora.

This is exactly what he said on Quora:

“Eight years ago I decided to apply for a job at Microsoft. For those that don’t know, the typical Microsoft application process goes like this – you submit an application, it is reviewed by a recruiter and they’ll contact you and describe the next steps.

Next, if the hiring team shows interest, someone from recruiting/HR will perform a basic technical phone screen. If that goes well, someone from the team that’s hiring will do a more detailed phone interview.

Finally, if both phone calls go well, you’ll be brought in for a series of face-to-face interviews (or panel interviews).

In my case, the hiring team was interested enough in my application that an engineer called me right away for a phone interview, before the initial HR screen.

I happened to be on the metro (subway) on my way home from work when he called. Since it was loud and cell coverage was spotty, I asked him to call me later, and he said sure.

When I got home, I remembered my wife was working late and that I had promised to cook dinner that night, so I started cooking. I got out some pasta, started boiling water, and heating up some sauce.

At that moment, the phone rang. I answered, and it was the engineer calling back. I felt like I couldn’t ask him to call me back again, so I started answering questions.

He asked me all kinds of questions about OS architecture, networking, and logic. When he got to a question that involved some math, I used the small whiteboard we kept on the fridge for grocery lists to do the calculation.

All the while, I was stirring, seasoning, and straining the pasta and sauce. My wife got home part way through the call, and I quickly jotted something on top of the math like ‘on phone with MS’.

That call went well, and I was told I’d be getting a call from the recruiter because the basic screen was still required. A couple of days later, on a Saturday, I took my dog to a park for a long walk.

Part way through the walk, I got another call, this time from the recruiter, which took me by surprise. I decided to take the call and get it over with.

Luckily the screen was shorter and considerably easier than the first call.

After all that, I was flown in for a half-day of in-person panel interviews, and got the job. I’ve now been at Microsoft for nearly 8 years.”

Would you have done something different if you were in his shoes? Let’s share our thoughts below.

Source: http://www.ideasplusbusiness.com/i-cooked-dinner-during-my-interview/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 18, 2016
smiley
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by Jobsdome: 7:33am On Jan 18, 2016
That's interesting
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by amicable09(f): 8:05am On Jan 18, 2016
Funny! White people making me laugh since 1904!
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by montezz(f): 10:44am On Jan 18, 2016
Not knowing when the dawn will come, he opened every door. I'm trying to picture what could have happened if he wasn't prepared to give answers to the questions.
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by ProudOlodo: 10:52am On Jan 18, 2016
undecided
amicable09:
Funny! White people making me laugh since 1904!
Maybe I would also try stirring fufu and take "bingo" on a walk on typical Lagos street during an interview and tell Saharareporters about it too cheesy

It's a funny and interesting jobhunt story tho. I would have thought MS will schedule a time with him first before the phone interviews. But then, it's 8years ago.
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by ProudOlodo: 10:55am On Jan 18, 2016
montezz:
Not knowing when the dawn will come, he opened every door. I'm trying to picture what could have happened if he wasn't prepared to give answers to the questions.
He must one who knows his onions. Only that will give you the confidence to go ahead with a recruiter's call at such seemingly odd times
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by montezz(f): 11:02am On Jan 18, 2016
ProudOlodo:

He must one who knows his onions. Only that will give you the confidence to go ahead with a recruiter's call at such seemingly odd times
Yeah. You moniker is a dramatic irony of your real self I guess... Proudolodo
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by amicable09(f): 11:22am On Jan 18, 2016
ProudOlodo:
undecided

Maybe I would also try stirring fufu and take "bingo" on a walk on typical Lagos street during an interview and tell Saharareporters about it too cheesy

It's a funny and interesting jobhunt story tho. I would have thought MS will schedule a time with him first before the phone interviews. But then, it's 8years ago.
Hahahaha... Bus conductors will give you inspiration on the road as you reply the guy on the other end.
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by ProudOlodo: 12:57pm On Jan 18, 2016
montezz:

Yeah. You moniker is a dramatic irony of your real self I guess... Proudolodo
I can't say with certainty whether or not you'll find that true as you presume grin Phew! Had to go on MerriamWebster to try match your oyinbo embarassed
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by ProudOlodo: 12:59pm On Jan 18, 2016
amicable09:

Hahahaha... Bus conductors will give you inspiration on the road as you reply the guy on the other end.
The street can provide amazing solutions to complex corporate puzzles sometimes grin
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by yorex2011: 1:29pm On Jan 18, 2016
cheesy cheesy
Re: I Cooked Dinner During My Job Interview by amicable09(f): 2:01pm On Jan 18, 2016
ProudOlodo:

The street can provide amazing solutions to complex corporate puzzles sometimes grin
grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Npower Ph Chapter / Contract Based Job For A Year Pay Is 70k Monthly. / MainOne (Orange Group) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.