Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,886 members, 7,859,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:50 AM

Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard (29121 Views)

Edo Election: NLC endorsed Obaseki of APC- Vanguard / Ekiti Debt: Fayose Will Go To Jail After Tenure, Says APC / Akpabio Planning To Join APC - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Koolmexxi(m): 8:15am On Jan 18, 2016
Like seriously, how dis APC fan boys still swallow these blame game by their moronic mentors still baffles me. Like someone rightly commented, the APC thru Ameachi and it's other puppet governors took the govt to court over the same foreign reserves they are complaining is now reduced. The APC governors were interested in sharing the reserve then to raise campaign funds in advance and now karma has come back to collect. Sometimes I wonder if these fan boys really have sense of reasoning or if they are jus simply refusing to swallow their pride and accept the so many wrongs with dis govt. I still clearly remember one of the "CHANGES" promised was diversifying of the economy and reducing our over reliance on oil. But yet the same govt is allocating billions to oil exploration in this era of dwindling oil prices where serious minded people are coming up with alternatives. I pity 4 una d fan boys especially. Sometimes I wonder if we're still in the campaign season

7 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by mwasiu(m): 8:16am On Jan 18, 2016
Some people will just come here and start yarning rubbish,do you even know why naira is crashing,u better go and get an economics textbook and read

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by tinktanker: 8:16am On Jan 18, 2016
perrychemical:
I think some Nairalanders did not understand economy issues. There is virtually little the president can do, becos they inherited a bad economy from the past administration.Based on my own understanding, Jonathan is a bad leader that squandered our economy. We all have to go and have a clear understanding on how economy is being ran, b4 u open ur mouth in this forum. I can categorically say whoever justify Jonathan from the present economy reality we are facing today is a dullard and doesn't have understanding. Pls if u really go to school ,go and read and talk sense abt the state of our economy. Economically, Jonathan failed to contribute anything to our economy, he ended depleting our reserved, despite high revennue earned during his administration. I learnt he claimed naija is d largest economy in africa during his tenure, I don't know d metrics he used, the country that is exporting crude and importing finished product,talkness of diversyfying into the other sector of the economy .whoever justify jonathan, I pray that God should run the affairs of his/her entire family the way jonathan ran the affairs of this country. Amen
wat happened to "I will stabilize oil price" Mr opec

5 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Tokt: 8:17am On Jan 18, 2016
onojiwizardgmailcom:

Are you forgetting so soon the law suit instituted by Amaichi and other APC governors against the government, forcing the sharing of the excess crude reserve. I want to correct the assertion above, foreign reserve depletion or accumulation in not in the control of government, it is the exclusive preserve of the CBN to deplete and accumulate foreign reserve.

Tokt:

1) did Amaechi and co asked them to also share the FG part of the sum money which takes the Lion share of over 50%? Majority of the money went to FG and the fool squandered it.
2) Are the majority of governors not PDP governors who also don't trust Jonah-daft and Ngozi to keep their money for them? If so then this is more troubling.
Jonah-daft was a crook.

Secondly, what law suit are u talking about? Did any court in the land compelled the govt to share? Even the govs brought lawsuit against Obj to share, yet he refused. And he had savings. Serious savings.
Jonah-daft shared the money simply because he himself wanted to loot it and he did loot the Lion share.
Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by erekoshe: 8:17am On Jan 18, 2016
davoremix:
People are always quick to scream blame game, useless government and all when the former government is berated by the present one for making things harder for the good people of this nation.
The main source of income is oil, when oil was booming, one hat headed dumbass and his cohorts embezzled all they could lay their hands upon and then a new government came in and suddenly oil is almost a liability now with no favourable forecast of price increase anytime soon. And then you want the new government to create money out of thin air and fulfil campaign promises. APC are handicapped. Buhari is under pressure (remember the BBOG saga). Instead of just attacking the present government unnecessarily, we should work together to help ourselves out of this or else we will all sink together and the funny thing is that it is you people who are attacking this government that will suffer it the most. #David

But the present government is justified to attack the previous? Was the previous not under or pressure even from the BBOG saga?

#leavetrash4LAWMA.

Both government (prevoous and present) don't give a damn abt the citizenry, they don't care. And in Tupac's voice, "I don't see changes..."

3 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by yommys01(m): 8:18am On Jan 18, 2016
fitzmayowa:

What the present administration can do is to turn things around, remember they campaigned on the slogan of "CHANGE" and nigerians bought in to it...

Are we going to applaud them(APC) for under-performance because PDP messed up Are we going to continue to cheer them on when all they do is blame GEJ/PDP all the time To rule a country like nigeria is not easy and they already knew what they were coming into, this is not the time to start throwing blames, because throwing blames won't solve a thing....

Its 8 months into APC's government, we are getting tired of the blame games already...SMH
Have they said they won't turn things around? Do you expect it to be done within 8 months when it took PDP 16 years to get us into this mess in the first place? We should stop expecting a miracle. It will take some time before things get normal again.
Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Cekpo34(m): 8:20am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:

By pronouncing severally that we must go back to farming and mining, yes he has.

By making sure the 2016 budget is far less dependent on oil, yes he has.

By tasking ministry of solid minerals to explore mining to the maximum, and by the minister clearly saying that each state is now at liberty to explore mining without much hinderance, yes he has.

He has taken the first needed steps towards diversification.

Dude you are funny! Diversification of the economy is different from true federalism. In true federalism, States fend for themselves and then send a stipulated percentage of what they generate to the federal government.

3 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by cutekhalifa(m): 8:22am On Jan 18, 2016
Liar Muhammad instigating lies from both side of his mouth.... MOD abeg no ban me again... I am freedom fighter.... 2weeks in Nairaland confinement... Gosh....freedom at last. cheesy

Oluwaseun
Osewa
your MOD's are they core member's of AREWA PEOPLES CONGRESS (APC) Because the way dis guys dey take monitor my comment's as if nah me hold Dasuki ATM card...

Abeg someone should kick that duara dullard butt and tell him to stop blaming jonathan in every blunder he commit, I scored his administration
00 -00001.... Shey unah Vote 4 shenge... grin ....

Abeg b4 I go... Is our mare commissioner, sorry vice president still alive ? Hardly heard of him nowadays, be like say he don go back to what he knew best to do .... Pastoring..... Ehhhhh feeeeee ceeeeee SHENGE cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by tinktanker: 8:23am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:
It's unfortunate that we just have to look back given the present situation of our economy. The situation has been brought about by GEJ's failure to save during windfall from oil sale of average of $100 a barrel. He instead reduced foreign account fromm $44bn in 2011 to $29bn in 2015. The question is, what did he do with the $15bn difference and the excess dollars earned in that period?

Can any supporter of GEJ sincerely answer that what he 'achieved' commensurates with what we earned?

The hardship of today is a result of poor decisions of years past.

I don't envy PMB and his team at all. They inherited a hemorrhaging economy at a time oil price is crashing on daily basis.
abeg. Make we hear word. Fashola lied dat fuel shld have been reduced to N50 when gej reduced it frm 97 to 87 den oil price was $70 per barrel. Since it's has reduced further, frm fashola's dull reasoning shouldn't we buy fuel at N15? Apc n it's supporters are all daft ppl

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by elder05(m): 8:24am On Jan 18, 2016
igboboy3:
[size=13pt] Fellow Nigerians, better brace up for the next four years. This government is clearly clueless about the way to lead this economy.
Buhari has written to the Senate to withdraw his budget. That means January is already lost to us. A man who desired power for 12 years has no idea what to do with it.

Even Fashola, the super-mnister, seems to be overwhelmed with his portfolio. Amaechi is only interested in installing Dakuku and humiliating Wike.

People said GEJ was clueless, but at least his plan for Agriculture was hailed globallly. Mr. Integrity has no economic plan. I repeat, he has no economic plan. He woud have been more effective as the head of EFCC.

Keep blaming Jonathan o!!

[/size]
chai! My brother its very unfortunate but you are correct. The worst is yet to come. Nigerians should brace up.

3 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by ahaz: 8:25am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:
It's unfortunate that we just have to look back given the present situation of our economy. The situation has been brought about by GEJ's failure to save during windfall from oil sale of average of $100 a barrel. He instead reduced foreign account fromm $44bn in 2011 to $29bn in 2015. The question is, what did he do with the $15bn difference and the excess dollars earned in that period?

Can any supporter of GEJ sincerely answer that what he 'achieved' commensurates with what we earned?

I don't envy PMB and his team at all. They inherited a hemorrhaging economy at a time oil price is crashing on daily basis.
look at him, hypocrite..you are quick to blame gej ,is he the only man in power then? what happened to the governors who refused to save for the rainy days like noi told them to.
what did the governors do with their excess crude cash? today they are all debtors especally all apc states and yet u choose to blamd gej.

6 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by plaetton: 8:27am On Jan 18, 2016
Obtaining by False pretense is what we call 419.

APC did a good job of convincing Nigerians that they had the vision, knew the direction and would take us to CHANGE.

Now that they are in the driver's seat of their N3.6b 2016 BMW cars, we are learning that they don't know how to DRIVE. undecided

Their excuse is that GEJ tampered with the steering wheel.

grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Abeymills(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2016
Yeye govt liars looters in general apc n bubuhari is d worst tin2 happen 2 nigeria bunch of loosers is dis governance or wat do u call dis?u hav locked down d economy by ur stupid policies d budget saga blame jonathan bokoharam blame jona stupid inresponsible unfurtunate ingreates rullin nigeria God will judge u all 4many whom u made loose thier source of livelyhood

2 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by sarutobie(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2016
tiwiex:

That's because they were using our foreign reserve ( savings) to defend it. GEJ did not save a penny in 6 years despite earning so much. Intact, he was using Yaraduas saving to keep us at 200. That defense won't last 4 months.
sometimes you all think everybody here is bereft of logic and reasoning abi? yardua died two years into his tenure, so for the 6 years GEJ was acting/president he was only using yardua's savings to defend the currency? find another profession, you're not very good at spinning lies like the rest..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Billygee2u: 8:29am On Jan 18, 2016
cktheluckyman:
Bunch of irresponsible elements, keep blaming Jonathan till your four years are over

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by yommys01(m): 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by excel101(m): 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
minifuworld:
dont you know that its our external reserve that GEJ is using to defend the dollar then and that is we citizens dont feel it much but now that the external reserve as gone so low what can the present administration do
. My friend just shut ur trap nd listen to the reasonable contributions others are making so can learn from dem.

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by onatisi(m): 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
By continually blaming gej ,Bihar and apc have confirmed to Nigerians that they are clueless about what the Nigeria problem is or even how to tackle it. What amazes me though is the fact that the dullard has been contesting and fighting for this post for the past 12 years telling the whole world that he has the solutions to the Nigerian problem. Now where are the solutions?what has he been planning for Nigeria for 12 solid years?or he thought Nigeria is just like is cattle farm of 150 cows where all he needs to do is milk the cows and drink kunu?unfortunately it is the Nigerian masses that will feel the pain of this government cluelessness. The dullard presidency will still get over 1billion for traveling expenses,over 1billion for feeding,760million for recreational activities while Nigerians will continue to lose their jobs and life will most likely become harder.

4 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by meccuno: 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
coolzeal:
The crashing oil price is as a result of America surplus production of shale oil in North Dakotan and less demand in the world. I hope Nigerians are not really gullible or lazy to do some research. I think it's an economic war going on around the world for supremacy within nations.
@ least we are on the same page.....it goes way beyond that......am very sure this has been in the offing for a very long time.....the US planned this and it is being targeted at some countries e.g for reasons best known to them.........am sure for a new version of colonialism......

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Billygee2u: 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Oil price fell from 120 to N50 under GEJ yet the naira never went above N200 during GEJ 's regime, in barely seven months, the Nepa Bill certificate holder have shut down our currency to exchange for N305 to a dollar!! A government with no economic direction and an incompetent finance minister!!
Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by signz: 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
I knew that this blame game is getting out of hand when the health minister blamed GEJ for Lassa Fever.

Truth be told Buhari was never prepared for leadership. I would've said APC but I can bet anybody that Atiku or even Tinubu would've done far much more better than Buhari.

4 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Billygee2u: 8:32am On Jan 18, 2016
Chubhie:
Who even take Apc blame game serious? Their blame game is only but to deceive the gullible and buy time while wishing some miracle happens.

Nigerians should demand total fulfilment of the social contract Apc signed with them.

2 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by yommys01(m): 8:32am On Jan 18, 2016
grandstar:
Gej is not to blame. Soludo and Sanusi have both condemned Buhari statist economic policies. The organised private sector has beeb crying their hearts out.
What policy actually affected the naira? Was it not on a downward loop before now?

1 Like

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by lomprico(m): 8:33am On Jan 18, 2016
fitzmayowa:

APC's Modus Operandi

1. When you fail to fulfill your campaign promises blame GEJ/PDP

2. When you are asked for accountability blame GEJ/PDP

3. After running government for 8 months and people are still not feeling the "CHANGE" blame GEJ/PDP

4. When you make bad economic decisions blame GEJ/PDP

5. When you take forever to appoint ministers blame GEJ/PDP

6. When you can't tell nigerians that you won't be able to fulfill some of the bogus promises blame GEJ/PDP

7. When you are in doubt blame GEJ/PDP

8. When you junketeer around the world with no tangible result blame GEJ/PDP

I wonder when APC will stop this blame game and face governance squarely, APC led government has turned democracy to "blamemocracy"

Nigerians elected them to solve the problem of the country and not start throwing blames...SMH

You forgot..
When the budget gets missing......blame GEJ/PDP

4 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Ayanko(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
tuale4u:
Oil price is 28 dollar today. It was 100 dollar under GEJ.

GEJ and oil price is to blame.
I dont blame you cos, you know nothing oil was not #100 under Jona. Tell your baba to take responsibility and stop blaming people for his economy failure.

3 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Muyiii(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
I'm still waiting for this government do one tangible thing besides blaming...if it's broken, fix it. How long are we going to keep playing these game? We all know these facts already. Besides the corruption probing ...I still can't feel their impact yet.

4 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Naturalle(f): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
How I wish we can be more solution oriented in this country. Notice how after stating that Jonathan & his team wrecked the economy, he goes ahead to say but we will be fine by God's grace? It is the 'how' we want to know. APC please share with us your game plan, the smaller objectives to be achieved to reach your goal and give us a valid time frame we can hold you accountable for.

In a nutshell, you better not come out with another headline blaming the past administration, you are only antagonizing the people and eradicating the goodwill you enjoyed.

6 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by GreyLaw(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:

You see, what you wrote up there is laughable. PMB had always blamed GEJ for whatever evils happening in Nigeria today, which I think is enough, at least, for now. A wise and prepared president would get to work to etch his name in gold, by trying his best to right all the wrongs. In fact, you hardly hear the great Presidents of the world blaming their predecessors. But with PMB what do we get? Lack of vision and ability, unpreparedness, and unending trading of blames!

I told myself I would say a prayer for the President regularly, irrespective of what he says or does. After all, he's The President. Our President. But he and his lieutenants keep making us feel like we've been ripped off. I hope the opposite is the case.

5 Likes

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by PassingShot(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2016
GettysBurg:

Honestly, you have raised some important points. In particular, the issue of the foreign reserves drop in GEJ's tenure. But let's take a dispassionate look at the points and the circumstances again.

1. The claim by Apc and their cohorts, that the economic collapse should be blamed on the Jonathan government is irresponsible. Why did the economy stay fine throughout his 6 years in office? How come that government successfully managed the economy for their 6 years in power to the extent Nigeria was the toast of investors globally? Nigeria was an economic phenomenon during the last government, for instance:

- Our stock market was consistently rated top 3 performing in the world.

- We grew to become Africa's biggest economy, overtaking South Africa , no mean feat.
I don't know what you meant by "economy stayed fine throughout GEJ's era" when we all know that there was more than enough coming from crude sale.

The collapse of the economy started under GEJ. For example, his administration borrowed to pay FG workers in March and April of 2015. NOI severally stated that hard times were ahead of us as crude price started to drop.

"The largest economy" tag remains a paper appellation only. We are still the "largest economy" and it is based on re-basing of the economy and had NOTHING to do with any major changes in economic performance.

- We never had petrol queues as products came in constantly and consistently, and at official price. We even had a reduction in price by 10 naira to reflect the crash in global crude prices. (In Apc government, we have a massive crash in global crude prices, yet they reduced the price by 50 kobo!!! Fraud!!!)
Not all of us had short memory! We had petrol queues during GEJ especially in May 2015 which was largely due to his govt's failure to pay the oil marketers their overdue import subsidies. When PMB came on board, they agreed to allow him time to sort himself hence the appearance of queues but later resurfaced for the same outstanding subsidies that GEJ didn't pay before his exit.

- The issue of Jonathan saving excess monies: Do we all remember how Dr Okonjo Iweala kept crying and screaming about the need to save in a Sovereign wealth fund? Do we remember how the governors forum led by Amaechi stood against the idea and even went to court about it? Now the chickens have come home to roost!!!!
Whiever way, GEJ is still to blame.
If there was strong justification not to share the money in the SWF, NOTHING could have made the governors succeed to make FG share it. However, since the FG was always taking money from the account without the knowledge of the joint-owners, the state governors, their fight to share it was justified.
The question now is: "what did the FG do with its own share of the money?" Answer: Looted.

- There's neither magic nor shortcuts in managing an emerging complex economy like Nigeria's. Same way there's neither magic nor shortcuts to carrying out a major brain or heart surgery. Surgeries are performed by highly trained, skilled and experienced surgeons. Not even by 'normal Doctors (GPs). And this answers the questions about how and why the economy was buoyant under PDP and suddenly begins to crash under Apc! It's knowledge, Simple!!!
I have somehow answered you on this.
Had GEJ managed to remain, Nigeria would have practically become another Greece, begging for loan everywhere around the world. The fact that oil sold for average of $100 during GEJ's tenure was the only reason the economy appeared buoyant. NOT ANYTHING ELSE! The evidence lies in the fact that GEJ was already borrowing to pay salaries before his exit.

- Do you know what the IMF president, Christine Lagsrde, told Buhari when she visited last week? Answer: She told them there will be no loans available for Nigeria now, (as buhari was planning to take massive loans to finance his budget), as Nigeria has been delisted from critical indexes which would have allowed institutional investors reflate the economy via bonds in this critical times. When the delisting was about happening in june, buhari and Apc dismissed it as nonsense talk. They never knew how Nigeria is so interconnected to the global economy. They never knew they closed critical access to important financing windows. Okonjo Iweala would never make such mistakes. Competence is key!
The delisting process had started during GEJ. Get your facts right.

There is no evidence that PMB wanted money from IMF. On the contrary, Lagarde praised PMB and his team at the job they're doing. She categorically stated "Nigeria doesn't need any loan" with what she saw. Stop twisting facts!

- The major item that strains our foreign reserves is Fuel imports and subsidies. Jonathan, in all sincerity, called for the removal of subsidies and the nation crucified him. That would have solved this problem once and for all. Now the same treacherous Apc comes around and now removes subsidies which they earlier condemned.
GEJ promised in 2011 there would not be increase in pump price only to suddenly announce on Jan 1st that pump price had increased. The reaction was expectedly spontaneous. Besides, he had already proved not to be trust worthy to utilize the subsidy if removed.
What did he do with the partial removal that eventually happened? Where are the promised palliatives?

I recommend this government does 2 things to salvage what will be the worst outing of the country since colonial days:

1. Look for an world class expert in development economics with critical experience in emerging markets to manage the economy, with sufficient powers given to him/her.

2. Get Buhari to liberalise his mindset and let go of his Statist and socialist ideologies. It isnt going to be compatible with number 1 above.

PMB is doing the needed surgical processes already. There are no short cuts beyond the methodical processes he's taking us through. By the end of first half of this year, results would have started trickling in.

GEJ was a disaster. Only the bigots will fail to realize it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by PassingShot(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2016
[s]
internetpo:

Are U daft? I am tired of ppl saying GEJ depleted our foreign reserves. where were u when he tried to save in the sovereign wealth fund as adviced by NOI but the governors took him to court and got an order to share everything. but you have conveniently forgotten cos it doesn't suit your propaganda plans.

be objective in ur analysis pls. for me, GEJ is never a god, he made many mistakes but did his best as regards the resources n systems we have here. unlike your tin god who u can never do any wrong.

APC shd keep blaming till 2019, I still have my PVC
[/s]
Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 18, 2016
PassingShot:

You and your apc are pathetic so the problem of Nigeria is $15billion?

So usd15billion will strengthen the naira, reduce inflation fund the budget, fix roads, provide electricity, etc?

May GOD have mercy on you all.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fall Of Naira, Economy: Blame Jonathan, Says APC - Vanguard by signz: 8:40am On Jan 18, 2016
GettysBurg:

Honestly, you have raised some important points. In particular, the issue of the foreign reserves drop in GEJ's tenure. But let's take a dispassionate look at the points and the circumstances again.

1. The claim by Apc and their cohorts, that the economic collapse should be blamed on the Jonathan government is irresponsible. Why did the economy stay fine throughout his 6 years in office? How come that government successfully managed the economy for their 6 years in power to the extent Nigeria was the toast of investors globally? Nigeria was an economic phenomenon during the last government, for instance:

- Our stock market was consistently rated top 3 performing in the world.

- We grew to become Africa's biggest economy, overtaking South Africa , no mean feat.

- We never had petrol queues as products came in constantly and consistently, and at official price. We even had a reduction in price by 10 naira to reflect the crash in global crude prices. (In Apc government, we have a massive crash in global crude prices, yet they reduced the price by 50 kobo!!! Fraud!!!)

- The issue of Jonathan saving excess monies: Do we all remember how Dr Okonjo Iweala kept crying and screaming about the need to save in a Sovereign wealth fund? Do we remember how the governors forum led by Amaechi stood against the idea and even went to court about it? Now the chickens have come home to roost!!!!

- There's neither magic nor shortcuts in managing an emerging complex economy like Nigeria's. Same way there's neither magic nor shortcuts to carrying out a major brain or heart surgery. Surgeries are performed by highly trained, skilled and experienced surgeons. Not even by 'normal Doctors (GPs). And this answers the questions about how and why the economy was buoyant under PDP and suddenly begins to crash under Apc! It's knowledge, Simple!!!

- Do you know what the IMF president, Christine Lagsrde, told Buhari when she visited last week? Answer: She told them there will be no loans available for Nigeria now, (as buhari was planning to take massive loans to finance his budget), as Nigeria has been delisted from critical indexes which would have allowed institutional investors reflate the economy via bonds in this critical times. When the delisting was about happening in june, buhari and Apc dismissed it as nonsense talk. They never knew how Nigeria is so interconnected to the global economy. They never knew they closed critical access to important financing windows. Okonjo Iweala would never make such mistakes. Competence is key!

- The major item that strains our foreign reserves is Fuel imports and subsidies. Jonathan, in all sincerity, called for the removal of subsidies and the nation crucified him. That would have solved this problem once and for all. Now the same treacherous Apc comes around and now removes subsidies which they earlier condemned.

I recommend this government does 2 things to salvage what will be the worst outing of the country since colonial days:

1. Look for an world class expert in development economics with critical experience in emerging markets to manage the economy, with sufficient powers given to him/her.

2. Get Buhari to liberalise his mindset and let go of his Statist and socialist ideologies. It isnt going to be compatible with number 1 above.

3. True fiscal federalism/ Resource control. Let each state manage it's human and mineral resources and then pay a % as tax to the center.

Meanwhile, wonderful post. 16 cartons of whatever you're drinking cos am buying.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lyrics Of Old National Anthem, 'Nigeria We Hail Thee' / Buni, Uzodinma, Peter Obi, Other Losers Of Anambra Election / Rivers Rerun : They Have Federal Might, But We Have The People - Wike (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.