Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,538 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar (38726 Views)

At What Rate Does CBN Sell Dollars To BDCs? / Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN / Paylater.com: Are They Not Out To Get Our Bank Details... Just Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by stonemasonn: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
The CBN chief was an ex bank executive and was nominated by powerful bank owners. So I'm not surprised that the CBN is doing nothing about this ongoing poo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by measideyhere(m): 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
Pidggin:
It is all about g reed!
u aint living up to your name ..
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by seyimm: 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
The secret of making $100 per day revealed.www.nairaland.com/2876973/secret-making-minimum-100-per#42199254
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Machine007: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
why are we complaining, the CBN employed the service of a foreign company (Travelex) and gave them the their terms and conditions the wailers are complaining your own institutions are the one ripping you off.

Now you can now compare the banks, BDC's and Travelex (the foreign company) which one is better.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Pidggin(f): 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
measideyhere:
u aint living up to your name

I neva start to dey show mysef, for now, na forming levels i dey grin
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by kenobi007(m): 10:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
Heamah:
Please is it possible to transfer dollars from one domiciliary account to another person's domiciliary account of same bank within Nigeria without extra charges?

no. u can't transfer from dorm account to another dorm account in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Hustoto: 10:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nigeria has over $1billion outstanding obligation owed by importers to different suppliers overseas that they are unable to pay including oil. the naira value of their import transaction is available but they cant buy FX due to limited supply. Cbn has been unable to meet all these obligations which include raw materials, oil, and other goods that will add value to the economy, is it shopping that u use Ur mastercard to do dat Cbn will now give banks money for? if i were Cbn, given the current FX situation, i wont sell money for mastercard.
talking abt devaluation, all monies that importers owe their suppliers and are awaiting Cbn to provide FX(some have not been able to buy FX for up to 3months) were pegged at 199.5 to a dollar. naira was provided at this rate and most of these goods are already sold. Banks too have borrowed customer money to pay their suppliers ay this rate and are waiting to repurchase their money back from Cbn at the same rate.am sure if you add up what customers are owing and what banks have borrowed customer to use to settle their suppliers, it will be more than $2billion dollars. if you now devalue naira the loss that would be faced by both customers and banks would be colossal. meanwhile, this wont bringthe value of dollar down cos crude oil is bellow $28 per barrel and is going lower.
the country should better be ready for a very very difficult year.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by roolnaado(m): 10:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
dennisworld1:
#NoTo50NairaBankDeduction
#stopdollarroundtripping
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by roolnaado(m): 10:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
dennisworld1:
#NoTo50NairaBankDeduction
#stopdollarroundtripping
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Hustoto: 10:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
oga. are very wrong. u can tranfered from your dom act to anoda dom act in anoda bank in Nigeria
kenobi007:

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Hustoto: 10:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
oga u are wrong. u can tranfer from dom act to dom act within nigerian banks.
kenobi007:

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by abe4kom: 10:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
jogojogo:

Take it easy dear, @veraponpo was simply right. I speak out of experience and as a Banker with deep experience in FX transactions.
As at today, I processed School Fess transaction to an Institution in Republic of Ireland. The rate was N199.30.
Yea sure. The transaction I made with my GT card last week that I was charged N2,790.11 for a 9.79 USD or the Stanbic of yesterday where 200USD was charged over N58,000 must be from planet Uranus!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by stainlex(m): 11:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
bitingcool:
Some banks are yet to commence zero COT. If you have a zenith account. Go and reconfirm

A little bird told me that the CBN has instructed banks to negotiate charges on Current accounts with their customers with a cap at 1 Naira per mille. What I'm saying is, COTs are still around for now.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by babamajor: 2:57am On Jan 22, 2016
Its time for change mentioned the name of the bank nd if posible d name of d person dat sold d dollars to u nd d receipt u are given.
U cant tel who might read ur complain nd it might lead to somtin else positive.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by grandstar(m): 3:24am On Jan 22, 2016
DoctorTim:

Good afternoon Bro. U seem to know much about this so I'll have to ask you as you seem to be the most enlightened of the lot making comments here.
Please my sister is in Ohio and I'm tryn to pay her school fees though a part of it. About $4000.
What is the best way to get it paid at the CBN rate because I have one million naira for this purpose but if I pay at the BDC rate of 300 then I'll be a lot short of the 4k dollars but if I can get it at 199, I'll be able to even go beyond 4k dollars.
Please I'm new to this cos she's just gone there about 3 weeks ago. How do I get the best deal via a legit means to get this dollar exchanged at a minimal rate and get this fees sorted out?
Thanks and anticipating your response if you've got the time.
I think you have apply formally through your bank here in Nigeria. School fees are given priority in forex
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by measideyhere(m): 7:33am On Jan 22, 2016
Pidggin:

cheesy
Pidggin:

lol.m...u killed it now.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Demdem(m): 7:38am On Jan 22, 2016
ibe9ja:

Banks that failed to comply with cbn's single TSA directives were fined huge sum of money

And how is this a bad thing?
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by holuphisayor(m): 8:35am On Jan 22, 2016
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by iwes(m): 8:57am On Jan 22, 2016
Shop from Amazon. the rate is super (208 naira to a dollar). But make sure you place your order in Naira.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by carpenter(m): 9:12am On Jan 22, 2016
Bevista:
I do not dispute what you just said about your experience with the banks. However, I wouldn't call it fraud. I just think the CBN is not being very open and honest about the situation. The reality is that, due to falling oil price the FX available for CBN to continue supporting all these foreign transactions is limited. But instead of them to say it the way it is, they keep running around in circles.
---
Your experience with the banks is likely not the bank's fault. The banks realized that the CBN was not supplying enough dollars anymore for those qualifying transactions (LCs, BTA, school fees, medical bills, etc) even though the CBN kept telling everyone that it was still supporting them.

It makes me happy to read words written better than I would have written it.

I think we need to devalue our currency and even though I also support the CBN on their moves, I think it is just a matter of when they will devalue.

On the issue of banks...I think they act legally most times but unethically. However, that has always been the case for banks in most parts of the world.

I can confirm there is a part of this PTA and BTA thing that is not clear, the CBN keeps releasing information that it is meeting those needs while the banks continue to refuse to sell PTA and BTA (at least to majority of Nigerians that require it legitimately) and ask you to use their cards. Could it be that the banks still have customers that sell dollars to them which they buy @199 and sell to the public @300? Or are they selling dollars deposited by some of us to to the public at higher margins with hope that we all do not come and collect at the same time. By the way, they even tell you they don't have cash sometimes and there is nothing we can do. I must admit I did this (sell to the bank at the bank rate) in the past but realised I was not being fair to myself. I don't trust the banks because even for cases such as COT that is clearly spelt out, they still act as they please. Finally, why is the fx or treasury unit of the banks a cartel...why do some junior officers in those units receive more bonuses than even some unit heads? Chances are the banks are as culpable as the subsidy receiving thieves but we don't want them to go down because hell might break loose...we try to manage the situation.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by megasoul: 9:35am On Jan 22, 2016
wealthprod:
i believe this is a topic we nigeria must treat seriously or else the bank are going to be taking us for a ride.
imagine Cbn selling dollar to the bank at the rate of 199 per dollar while bank in return will charge us at the rate of 301 or 300 per dollar when using your debit card to make transaction online

Nigeria let wake up and take this topic seriously because bank are not BDC but institution and they keep milking us this way
The best solution to this is to cry out and let the Cbn know what is happening so that the bank can be sanction for this

The situation is quite pathetic but you can actually take advantage of it by investing in dollars. I've been investing massively in dollars in the past 2weeks and the rate keeps changing almost daily. I'm not really worried though cos the trend doesn't seem like it's gonna revert soon. I'm into 4 different online investment presently. Two of them are already yielding about $50 cumulatively daily and this figure increases by the day.
If anyone is interested , I can be reached via call or Whatsapp on 08038536850. I won't be selling any e-books or anything so I would never request money from anyone. It's a promise. If I ever do, pls ignore me immediately.
Get in touch with me so I can introduce u to a Whatsapp group where u will learn more abt these wonderful opportunities and rub minds with fellow investors who are making money already.
Pls do not contact me if u don't have d wits to take risks. Making money on the internet is not for the lily minded. It's for entrepreneurs, the risk takers.
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Scholarforever: 11:04am On Jan 22, 2016
ibietela2:

Did CBN told you that they are not aware
The right tense to use here is 'tell' and not 'told'
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 11:27am On Jan 22, 2016
pinkyruledworld:
thunder wey go strike those ones still dey gym especially that "orange bank"

Yes that orange bank.......they usually charge the highest bank charges in the world
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 11:29am On Jan 22, 2016
veraponpo:
I do not think banks can do that because they are bound by BOFID/BOFIA. Because of the following reasons:

CBN sells at N197.

Banks do not sell at N301 rather it is BDC that does that.

There is inter-bank rates and that is within N198-201.

It is the parallel market that is selling above N300. There reason is because Nigeria as a country has very poor exporting ability. Our major export is crude oil and there is bad market for it now.

The demand and supply economics theory is working too. Demand for dollar is high and supply is low, therefore price is high.

How does that justify the orange bank charging me around N300/$1......if in doubt get their orange naira mastercard and do some transactions.

Come back and testify
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 11:58am On Jan 22, 2016
ebenco2000:

this is correct , banks dont use CBN dollars to settle debit card payments, they source for that at the interbank market which is also very high now. Banks are not to be blamed.

Even the interbank rates are less than 200......so what are you saying sir ?
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 12:00pm On Jan 22, 2016
mployer:

The banks don't get their fx from cbn, so cbn has no say in their exchange rate.

What's your proof sir....please ask a top level management bank staff before drawing conclusions
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 12:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
mohlanforex:
Be Inform, Gtbank Master Card Charge Me 198 To Dollar. Try Gtbank Naira Master Card And Give Us Feedback. I Use It To Fund My Forex And Binary Account.

Very very big big fat lie.....gtbank charged me at N284.99/$1 as at 19/1 when i just wanted to renew my netflix subscription for $8.79 and i was charged N2505.11 on my gtbank naira mastercard
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 12:27pm On Jan 22, 2016
doplove:

Unfortunately, I have evidences to show you that the banks (I have accounts with FCMB and GTB) charge more than the blackmarket whenever I use my cards for foreign transactions. It bemoans my spirit that this practice is only obtained in Nigeria. In Angola, where I work, whenever you use their bank cards to do foreign transactions what you get is based on their central bank rates but, Nigeria is a different story. We need to escalate this to the consumer protection agency.

God bless you sir.....we are just fond of defending mediocrity and incompetence in this country for no reason
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by solibayo: 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
Dyt:

Stop promoting false info
Even as low as the candy crush payment is
I get charged way above the 167
undecided undecided undecided
And I rem still using that same card sometimes October and was charged 230 even when the official rate is 198

God bless you bro......i don't know where that liar got that bogus exchange rate from.....abi is it not the same orange bank?

Its not hard to know fake posters paid by greedy corporations
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by Dyt(f): 12:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
solibayo:

God bless you bro......i don't know where that liar got that bogus exchange rate from.....abi is it not the same orange bank?

Its not hard to know fake posters paid by greedy corporations

grin grin
You haf feks
cheesy
Re: Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar by AdeMoss: 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
onatisi:
how do u fund the dollars card? Buy blackmarket rate of 300 USD the put the dollars in ur usd account? Ok so when u pay with a usd dollar card what will be the bank rate ,blackmarket rate or cbn rate ?

NO. You can fund the USD credit card repayment the same way PTA is funded. Advise your bank to purchase from CBN at their advised rate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Exchange Rate As Of Today, July 1st / Alpari Nigeria Turning To Forextime Nigeria / Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.