Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,759 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. (30434 Views)

Davido’s “assurance Falz’s “this Is Nigeria” Lead Nigerian Songs Released In May / Top Ten Hottest Nigerian Songs Released In May 2018 / List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2016
naptu2:

This is not really true. There are copyright laws in Nigeria and that's also why the Nigerian Copyright Commission exists. Artists try to copy other artist's work without permmission all over the world, but they get into serious trouble when they are discovered. I'll give you two examples (one from Nigeria and one from outside Nigeria).

Feladey got into trouble when he covered Rex Jim Lawson's songs without permission in the 1990s. Rex Jim Lawson's family sued him, but the case was eventually settled out of court.

Robin Thicke and Pharrel Williams recently got into trouble when they sampled Marvin Gaye's song, "Got To Give It Up" (one of my favourite songs) for their song "Blurred Lines". Marvin Gaye's family sued them and they had to pay millions of dollars to Gaye's family and include Marvin Gaye's name in the album credits.

Covering a song legally is not a bad thing. It brings the song to a new generation and also gives money to the writer of the song. Some retired musicians depend on this money. For example, Snoop Dogg often sampled his uncle Charlie Wilson's (of the Gap Band) song and this meant that Charlie Wilson got paid even though he had retired and was fighting alcoholism.

Paul "Play" Dairo covered his father, I.K. Dairo's songs and this made the songs known to a new generation. Natalie Cole covered her father, Nat King Cole's songs and this brought it to a new generation.

Song writers hold copy rights over their songs for the duration of their life and 50 years after they are dead (it's 70 years in some jurisdictions). It's basically their pension. Disney had to pay the family of the South African guy that wrote "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Solomon Linda), despite the fact that he had been dead for many years before The Lion King was made (he wrote the song in the 1930s).
oga thank u for the lecture but am talking about this from experience.if u check since the revolution of nigerian music(2000-till date) and tell,and u do know what happen between The Artist SUNNY BOBO and the work he copied from Peacock band international?.and am telling u that the original writers and owners don't even get paid as at now.i can add other examples if need b
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:45am On Jan 19, 2016
Okeycima:
oga thank u for the lecture but am talking about this from experience.if u check since the revolution of nigerian music(2000-till date) and tell,and u do know what happen between The Artist SUNNY BOBO and the work he copied from Peacock band international?.

What exactly is your point?

1) Are you saying that there are no copyright laws in Nigeria? That's false because there are copyright laws. http://www.nigeria-law.org/CopyrightAct.htm

That's also why the Nigerian Copyright Commission is there.

2) Are you saying that a person cannot get redress when his rights have been infringed? That's also false because I've given you examples of people who have gone to court to enforce their rights (Rex Jim Lawson's family, etc).

3) Are you saying that plagiarism only happens in Nigeria? That's also false. I've given you examples of plagiarism in other countries (Robin Thicke, Solomon Linda, etc).

There are plagiarists everywhere that would like to illegally exploit a person's works. It's up to the rights holder to go to court to enforce his rights. Pharrell and Robin Thicke did not want to admit that they plagiarised Marvin Gaye's work, but his family went to court and the court compelled Thicke and Williams to pay Marvin Gaye's family and acknowledge that he is the owner of the work.

4) Are you saying that all remixes and cover versions are bad? That's also not true. The original owner of the copyright work reaps a lot of benefits when his work is covered. He earns royalties and it brings his work to a new generation that might not have heard of it before. That's why you can see that in many cases the original owner is featured in the cover version (eg, Adewale Ayuba and Jazzman, Victor Olaiya and 2face) and that in some cases the work is covered by children of the original owner (eg Paul Dairo and I.K. Dairo).

So what is your point?

1 Like

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 8:57am On Jan 19, 2016
naptu2:

What exactly is your point?

1) Are you saying that there are no copyright laws in Nigeria? That's false because there are copyright laws. http://www.nigeria-law.org/CopyrightAct.htm

That's also why the Nigerian Copyright Commission is there.

2) Are you saying that a person cannot get redress when his rights have been infringed? That's also false because I've given you examples of people who have gone to court to enforce their rights (Rex Jim Lawson's family, etc).

3) Are you saying that plagiarism only happens in Nigeria? That's also false. I've given you examples of plagiarism in other countries (Robin Thicke, Solomon Linda, etc).

There are plagiarists everywhere that would like to illegally exploit a person's works. It's up to the rights holder to go to court to enforce his rights. Pharrell and Robin Thicke did not want to admit that they plagiarised Marvin Gaye's work, but his family went to court and the court compelled Thicke and Williams to pay Marvin Gaye's family and acknowledge that he is the owner of the work.

4) Are you saying that all remixes and cover versions are bad? That's also not true. The original owner of the copyright work reaps a lot of benefits when his work is covered. He earns royalties and it brings his work to a new generation that might not have heard of it before. That's why you can see that in many cases the original owner is featured in the cover version (eg, Adewale Ayuba and Jazzman, Victor Olaiya and 2face) and that in some cases the work is covered by children of the original owner (eg Paul Dairo and I.K. Dairo).

So what is your point?
oh my friend there is! And believe me when i tell there is but u and i know that nigeria is a lawless country with laws,my issue is that it is not regarded as a law,am talking from experience
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 9:09am On Jan 19, 2016
naptu2:

So what is your point?
oh my friend there is! And believe me when i tell there is but u and i know that nigeria is a lawless country with laws,my issue is that it is not regarded as a law,am talking from experience,and another issue u raised that is ok is the issue of the affected party not willing to sue the defaulter.and i believe it might b true but,what i don't understand is wheather copyright commission needs the orginal writer to table the case before the swing into action or not.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 9:30am On Jan 19, 2016
@ naput oh my friend there is! And believe me when i tell there is but u and i know that nigeria is a lawless country with laws,my issue is that it is not regarded as a law,am talking from experience,and another issue u raised that is ok is the issue of the affected party not willing to sue the defaulter.and i believe it might b true but,what i don't understand is wheather copyright commission needs the orginal writer to table the case before the swing into action or not.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by benzeeno: 10:14am On Jan 19, 2016
All these copyright talk has killed the flow...mr naptu2 please can you continue with the uploads.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Emelcee: 12:54pm On Jan 19, 2016
Pl someone should help me with the title and the name of the singer of this old time song... "If he say him no want you again oooh, sombody go love you you ooh"
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Handsome4real(m): 1:04pm On Jan 19, 2016
naptu2:
Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson - Love M'Adure (1960s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7tg_NJjMM

Feladey - Love Adure (c1992)
I cannot find a video of this version.

Sunny Bobo - Old Skool (Love Adaure) (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUD8v14ePjs

A very interesting and mind opening thread at OP. Zubby Enebeli also remixed this song and it was a hit.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 1:51pm On Jan 19, 2016
benzeeno:
All these copyright talk has killed the flow...mr naptu2 please can you continue with the uploads.

Sorry, I'm a little bit busy right now, but I'll post more videos this evening, including songs by Orlando Owoh, Tic Tac, Macey Grey, Fela, Femi, Mos Deff, etc.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by jojothaiv(m): 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2016
How about Bata Mi, I know its a regent/woman that first sang it long ago before Gilbert(A-Q) now make a cover version of it....
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2016
jojothaiv:
How about Bata Mi, I know its a regent/woman that first sang it long ago before Gilbert(A-Q) now make a cover version of it....

Princess Bunmi Olajubu (The Regent of Ikogosi).

2 Likes

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by kcowen(m): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2016
What about the Soap opera "masquerade" they show in NTA,the song has been remix severally by different people latest is Olu Maintain ft Tuface -Cinderella
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2016
[s]
Ishilove:
Omigosh!! Naptu2, I love you!! cheesy

I've been dancing nonstop since I clicked on this thread cheesy
[/s]

tongue
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 6:23pm On Jan 19, 2016
I sat oustide my house around 10 or 11 o'clock one night in 1986 or '87 and enjoyed what the breeze was blowing towards me. Fela was playing at Jazz 38 (38 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi) and the bassline of this song was booming across South West Ikoyi. They must have been using some kind of super speakers. It was wonderful.

Jazz 38 was owned by Tunde and Fran Kuboye and Fran was Fela's niece. I think that It was at this concert that Fela met Dede for the first time.

It's always amusing when some foreigners try to speak pidgin English and I found it quite entertaining when Macy Grey sang, "If you wan cook soup, na water you go use".

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti- Water No Get Enemy (1975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBC5URoF0s

Femi Anikulapo-Kuti ft Macy Grey and D'Angelo - Water No Get Enemy (2002)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkRULPL7q6Y
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Ishilove: 6:55pm On Jan 19, 2016
searchiing4love:
[s][/s]

tongue
Naptu2 likes his girls home based cheesy
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 19, 2016
Ishilove:

Naptu2 likes his girls home based cheesy

COME and swear on my thread if u are holy. we dey wait undecided
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Ishilove: 7:15pm On Jan 19, 2016
searchiing4love:

COME and swear on my thread if u are holy. we dey wait undecided
Define 'holiness'
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by 2baga(m): 8:13am On Jan 20, 2016
I'm enchanted, really longing for more.....

Op.
If you bought the the vinyl plate of this music, I've a very good idea of just how "young" you are.

The thread is so on point
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 9:09am On Jan 20, 2016
I don't know how I forgot to include this video earlier. This is one of my favourite songs. The guitar line is one of my two favourite guitar solos ever (the other is from Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child). This man often plays the guitar with his feet and his tongue when he is playing this song.

If you go back to page one and listen to Runtown's song, "Baby Answer", you'll discover that the guitar solo at the end of the track is not from Peacock Band's "Eddie Quansa". It's actually from this song that I'm about to post.

Sir Shina Peters played a rock version of this song on his guitar during a live performance in the mid 1990s. It was absolutely wonderful.

This man is not only an accomplished musician (singer, guitarist and flutist), he is also a sculptor and Professor of Fine Arts at the University of Benin. He was once the Edo State Commissioner for Culture.

This song was awarded the gold record certification by Philips West Africa in 1996, for sales of over 500,000 units.

Sir Victor Uwaifo - Joromi (1970s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe7UefYCN8
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:14am On Jan 22, 2016
Baby mi show colour re, ka jo ma rocky

Bobo no go die, unless to ba d'arugbo

King Wasiu Ayinde Marshall (KWAM1) - Consolidation (1994).

Lagbaja - Show Your Colour (1996).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkM3lKS-A6Q
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:50am On Jan 23, 2016
naptu2

U R D BOMB

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 7:58am On Apr 09, 2016
Gosh! I can't believe that I forgot to post this song!

This song was originally done by the jamaican reggae group Black Uhuru in 1983, but I'm not going to post a video of that version because Black Uhuru are not nigerians. It was written by Michael Rose. The chorus of this version goes:

Guess who's coming to dinner, Natty Dreadlock

The song was covered by Dr Alban in 1997. He featured Grammy Award winner Michael Rose, who is a former member of Black Uhuru and who wrote the original song. This song was not as big a hit as Hello Africa or It's My Life, but I think it's probably Dr Alban's best song. The chorus of this version goes:

Guess who's coming to dinner, Carolina.

Dr Alban ft Michael Rose - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (Carolina) (1997).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTJ3LQ8TrM

In 2009, Dr Alban did. . .a very nigerian version of the song with his cousin Charly Boy and Dekumzey. The chorus of this version goes:

(Charly Boy) "Guess who dey come my house, Carolina".
(Dr Alban) "Na di girl I dey chyke for a long time"

Dr Alban ft Charly Boy - Carolina (2009).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YMs-a6n4Q
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 2:13pm On Feb 19, 2017
jojothaiv:

naptu2:

Princess Bunmi Olajubu (The Regent of Ikogosi).

Princess Bunmi Olajubu - Eko Dara Pupo/Bata Mi (1987).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uQsQTSRbI
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 2:13am On Mar 04, 2017
swedge218:

Would that be oklobimatete? Sold out album?

I've finally found the original version. It's Eche Une. Thanks.

Bongos Ikuwe - Eche Une.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2fM6sjt3n8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Rasana: 8:44am On Mar 04, 2017
Brothers & sisters please I need ur help. I just started a music download website, please do you know where I can source Nigerian music in large files for upload to my website? Thanks
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Excuzeme: 7:57am On May 02, 2017
naptu2:
I don't know how I forgot to include this video earlier. This is one of my favourite songs. The guitar line is one of my two favourite guitar solos ever (the other is from Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child). This man often plays the guitar with his feet and his tongue when he is playing this song.

If you go back to page one and listen to Runtown's song, "Baby Answer", you'll discover that the guitar solo at the end of the track is not from Peacock Band's "Eddie Quansa". It's actually from this song that I'm about to post.

Sir Shina Peters played a rock version of this song on his guitar during a live performance in the mid 1990s. It was absolutely wonderful.

This man is not only an accomplished musician (singer, guitarist and flutist), he is also a sculptor and Professor of Fine Arts at the University of Benin. He was once the Edo State Commissioner for Culture.

This song was awarded the gold record certification by Philips West Africa in 1996, for sales of over 500,000 units.

Sir Victor Uwaifo - Joromi (1970s)

I dont know for how many decades, l have been listening to this song and each time, l was pulse to take-in the "solo-run" of that guitar part where he went absolutely ballistic with his guitar string!
The deftness is out of this world, figuratively speaking.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by cmpunk: 6:59pm On May 02, 2017
Emelcee:
Pl someone should help me with the title and the name of the singer of this old time song... "If he say him no want you again oooh, sombody go love you you ooh"

that should be sunny nneji in the album"unchained"
he also did oruka in that album and tolotolo

track 10 I guess?

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by djsalvation122(m): 5:22am On May 03, 2017
Boybreed teams up with Five Star signed artiste X-Busta and Akwa Ibom indigenous rapper HD to deliver this very dope song tagged BAD. download and enjoy
http://www.mpbaze.com.ng/2017/04/latest-downloadboybreed-xbusta-hd-bad.html?m=1
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by GMan650(m): 9:50pm On Jun 01, 2017
naptu2:
Sir I don't know if you can help me with the title of a popular song in the late 90s by a woman......... the tune goes like:
"Ori Ori ooooo
Oladjoumoke oladjoumoke
Oladjumoke oladjoumoke"

In the video, there are images of something like ancient Bini gods dancing to the song. The entire costume in the video was ancient dresses. The language the woman used sounded very well like Yoruba cos there are some lines I could pick but it didn't sound like the common yoruba.

Thanks in anticipation of your response
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 10:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
GMan650:
Sir I don't know if you can help me with the title of a popular song in the late 90s by a woman......... the tune goes like:
"Ori Ori ooooo
Oladjoumoke oladjoumoke
Oladjumoke oladjoumoke"

In the video, there are images of something like ancient Bini gods dancing to the song. The entire costume in the video was ancient dresses. The language the woman used sounded very well like Yoruba cos there are some lines I could pick but it didn't sound like the common yoruba.

Thanks in anticipation of your response

Angelique Kidjo (of Benin Republic) - Agolo (1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwRjUue-sY

2 Likes

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by GMan650(m): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2017
naptu2:

Angelique Kidjo (of Benin Republic) - Agolo (1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwRjUue-sY

Oh! Thanks. I didn't know it was Angelique Kidjo by any stretch of imagination. That woman is a LEGEND

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Songs That Shouldn't Have Been On The Spotlight / DOWNLOAD MP3: Kizz Daniel - "Ada" / How To Promote Your Music In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.