Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,471 members, 7,812,448 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK (20870 Views)

NDDC Foreign Scholarship For Students From Niger-Delta 2017 / Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
mallamseifaldin:
All this SS youths!! Somebody please tell them that the price of crude oil has fallen and Nigeria need to adjust to the current situation we find ourselves.

And d bigoted South Easterner pretending to be a Northerner rears his head again.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by otokx(m): 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2016
Foreign Scholarships are largely unsustainable at undergraduate levels. They should be limited to Masters and PhD in my opinion. They should also award such scholarships to young lecturers in Federal Universities and Polytechnics who had 1st class grades and ensure the awardees come back and remain in the institutions from which they left.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

Don't get me wrong, i don't support any corruption in NDDC, but the OP Should be truthful. I have friends who are benefiting from this scheme, and have since been paid.

All scholarship schemes have "terms" and "conditions" attached to them.

Before you accept such award, you are made to read them and if you accept these terms, you append your signature.

The OP made reference to PTDF, and it would you interest you to know PTDF takes care of everything because it is outrightly stated in the award letter.

You raised the issue of £25,000, can I ask you this simple question, if NDDC budgets £19,000 per scholar and you read it on your award letter, and still went ahead to sign, where do you expect NDDC to get the balance from?

E99E:

What he intends to achieve with this forum is that he and his fellow mates get their due allowance.

I refuse to agree with you on the points raised as it lacks meaning. Even if his tuition is 25000 pounds whatever left should and must be paid by NDDC...That's why it is called a scholarship

Focus on the real issues and leave sentiments aside.

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by cococandy(f): 7:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
It's the Nigerian way. No love for her youth
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by KingsleyBuubba(m): 7:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
ActivismForever:
Blame buhari. Since the dullard came to power nothing has been working. I foresee the end of Nigeria.

Ur mentality is totally 4kt up

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Pavarottii(m): 7:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
AnthonyAnderson:
I really don't know how to start this but I pray this medium brings a solution to our problem.

I write on behalf of over 50 students whom are all beneficiaries of the Niger Delta Development Commission(NDDC) foreign scholarship. In September 2015, we departed for a 12 months Masters programme in the UK. Prior to departure we were informed by NDDC staff that we would pay for visa processing and travel arrangements with our own money with the promise that our allowances would be paid within a month or two on our arrival in the UK. This was shocking to me as I had imagined a commission as big and well funded as the NDDC could easily make necessary arrangements for such just like how PTDF does for its scholars.

I was left with no option but to go begging family and friends to raise the required sum for me to apply for a UK visa, purchase flight tickets and estimated costs for three months accommodation and feeding. I wondered if this was how a foreign scholarship was meant to be. I almost gave up in seeking for assistance but favour smiled on me and I was able to receive donations from family and friends. With the money raised I purchased all I needed and traveled. NDDC had promised to send our allowances by the end of October. On arrival at school I realized that the accommodation was more than I had budgeted for and so could not afford it. Fortunately I had a friend that stayed in the next city and had to put up with him for the time being pending when I would secure an accommodation on receipt of my allowance. Fast forward to last week in November, NDDC officials in their numbers visited us (They surely spent more than half our entire allowance on their trip) promising we would now receive our allowances before the year runs out. Now in the second week of January 2016 we are yet to receive any allowance from NDDC or even assurance of when we will be paid. This is five months into a 12 month programme and not a dime has been sent to us. It might be surprising to note that the same NDDC has paid tuition fees to the schools since they know that the schools will not accept us without tuition fees which is far higher than the allowances we are supposed to receive but for some funny reasons they have refused to send a dime for upkeep(accommodation and feeding). Most of us have tried contacting the officials in the scholarship department of NDDC and all we receive are rude responses giving us the impression we are begging for alms. Particularly one Mrs Sotonye, who is always so rude on the phone whenever she chooses to answer calls to her phone and would never reply text messages sent to her.

My question is how do you send students abroad without giving them a dime for over 5 months? If there is no money for the scholarship why then send people out in the first instance? But surely this is not the case as tuition fees had already been paid. The idea of the scholarship is to relieve our parents of the financial burden of furthering our education because we are mostly not from wealthy homes. We have been forced to finds jobs even though these jobs cannot pay for our monthly house rent. The NDDC is not broke as to to say they cannot afford to send us our allowances. It is sad to see corruption has killed every conscience in people as can be exemplified by NDDC officials in charge of the scholarship whom I wonder if they would love their children to be treated as such.

With the recent ban by the CBN on the use of naira cards you can only imagine our plights as even our parents are helpless towards our situation. It is our hope the president GMB and the new acting chairman of the NDDC Mrs. Ibim Seminitari will quickly come to our aid.

It is our prayers that the bad eggs in the NNDC whom have continually denied us our monthly allowances for months now will be investigated and prosecuted so that future beneficiaries of the scholarship wont be allowed to go through the torture we are currently going through. Sometimes I feel regret... I feel regret because how do I bring out the best in me when i have to constantly remind myself that my next day food is not guaranteed coupled with the load of course work I have to battle at night after school.

It is sad to see that the NDDC has truly failed. One cannot only but imagine that maybe allowances meant for us have been diverted for personal gains.

Have they fully paid for ur tuition fees? For the programme?

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by tete7000(m): 8:06pm On Jan 21, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria. My brother was sent to Romania in the 70s under Bilateria Scholarship and was subjected to this same inhumane treatment. He capitulated and came back home with health problem the family is still struggling with. With that experience I stopped believing in Nigerian government scholarships.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by E99E(m): 8:18pm On Jan 21, 2016
SSGUniport:
You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

Don't get me wrong, i don't support any corruption in NDDC, but the OP Should be truthful. I have friends who are benefiting from this scheme, and have since been paid.

All scholarship schemes have "terms" and "conditions" attached to them.

Before you accept such award, you are made to read them and if you accept these terms, you append your signature.

The OP made reference to PTDF, and it would you interest you to know PTDF takes care of everything because it is outrightly stated in the award letter.

You raised the issue of £25,000, can I ask you this simple question, if NDDC budgets £19,000 per scholar and you read it on your award letter, and still went ahead to sign, where do you expect NDDC to get the balance from?

Correction. .. $25,000 I meant... I am sure and you know too that there can be no terms of condition that would stipulate that you get paid your allowances after 5 months....The OP has stated that they are yet to get paid 5 months into their 12 month programme..

I also know friends who had benefited from NDDC in the past...There's no way they will award you a scholarship if you are not enrolled in an institution of their choice..

It is very likely these funds have been diverted for reasons unknown...

I know 6 directors of NDDC whom have tarred all the roads leading to their private residence. ..That's how they spend these monies...

Not everyone of them will get a job...Not everyone of them have travelled abroad before. ..A scholarship should be in every word a scholarship...There are beautiful memories that come with such. .I was once a scholarship beneficiary and I can only imagine how it would have been had i been made to go through a similar experience.

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by mallamseifaldin(m): 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
janellemonae:

And d bigoted South Easterner pretending to be a Northerner rears his head again.

Your sense of reasoning is poor...You ought to be a psychiatric patient..SMH
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by amanikondo: 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
ActivismForever:
Blame buhari. Since the dullard came to power nothing has been working. I foresee the end of Nigeria.

The Lagoon option is still available. You know Forefathers and Hero just Robbed Us .
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Lastanza: 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
My perspective is, is it dat Nigeria is cursed or already a failed state. D govt is supposed to pioneer a policy and d citizenry would follow suit. We ar talking about patronizing made in Nigeria products and the government dat is supposed to take d lead is busy buying BMW cars and sending citizens abroad to study. The impression is dat Nigerian academic system is in geopady. Wat happened to d students running their programs in Nigerian Universities and save cost, exchange rate as nd contribute to d GDP of d country. We ar complaining of capital flight by private individuals and d govt is not in any way better. God bikonu, reason Nigeria matter.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by AnthonyAnderson: 9:21pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thanks to All for your encouraging comments.

Thanks to the MODs for bringing this to front page..I just got back from classes today and seeing this on front page has brought some joy to me...We will hang in there.

For those that have said why don't we get jobs..
The UK is becoming different now.We have tried and we are still trying to get jobs.

Also we are in schools duly certified by NDDC else we won't be here.

Thanks once again
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by toprealman: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Mom007:
You guys are not serious. People are praying for the opportunity you have and you are there complaining about not getting feeding allowance. If you indeed value the opportunity you have been given, you will look for part time Jobs and face the school and come out with good results so that your time there won't be a total waste. As for the crooked NDDC guys that have obviously pocketed the allowance, well done o, EFCC will soon Com visiting.
nne, it is not as easy as you think.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by HrmOlolade(m): 10:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
glaber:
Yhu have all gone to Ajo Aremabo,
When did NSCDC start giving scholarship
Niger delta development commission not nscdc
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by sleekch1c(f): 10:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
AnthonyAnderson:

Thanks to the MODs for bringing this to front page..I just got back from classes today and seeing this on front page has brought some joy to me...We will hang in there.

The UK is becoming different now.We have tried and we are still trying to get jobs.

Thanks once again

Keep waiting for NDDC so hunger will waste your life away. Don't go and get a job!
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by simonns(m): 10:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
Op and other scholars affected, I feel your pains. I can see some people feel you don't appreciate what you have, I understand their mindset. An average Nigerian is a hustler. However, one will only understand how difficult it is to adapt to the standard of education in uk only if you have experienced it. It also depends on the rating of the uk uni you find yourself. Academic performance is significantly impacted by time you spend doing academic work. Only a few can combine working and getting good grades.
I pray op and other scholars affected get their entitlements soon. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by chreldb(m): 11:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
AnthonyAnderson:

Thanks once again

I know exactly what you are going through, ignore those telling you that you are ungrateful they are ignorant. Most of the time it's only Nigerian scholars that face this kind of problem it is so sad. However, what I will advice is that you continue to search for a job that will cater for your living expenses because it likely that you may not get your allowance before the end of your studies. So for now just concentrate on finishing in the next few months and you can fight for your allowance later because it is yours. I know it's not easy because I've been there. Even had it worse than you. You will survive don't worry.

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by FabioPeter: 4:29am On Jan 22, 2016
It's difficult to understand why successive government "invest" heavily on foreign scholarship.
The staggering amount NDDC and state government have ploughed into this would have gone a long way in reviving our failing education sector.
The end result is a brain drain to our nation and an entrapment for the "beneficiaries" who hardly get a decent job abroad.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by ariesbull: 7:03am On Jan 22, 2016
L
AntiIPOB:
You must have attended the famous LGEA before proceeding to community secondary school,so it is only yorubas that can identify Igbos in the crowd?

I know that you are a yoruba from the way you reasoned

Don't deny your tribe
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by rman: 7:08am On Jan 22, 2016
FabioPeter:
It's difficult to understand why successive government "invest" heavily on foreign scholarship.
The staggering amount NDDC and state government have ploughed into this would have gone a long way in reviving our failing education sector.
The end result is a brain drain to our nation and an entrapment for the "beneficiaries" who hardly get a decent job abroad.

At last! Someone that shares my point of view.

Government spends too much money on foreign scholarships instead of using it such huge amount to upgrade Nigerian universities

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Billygee2u: 7:21am On Jan 22, 2016
Toeyoursea:
My brother i really feel your pain, may God comfort you and my other country men in this quagmire.

The abysmal arrangement of the scholarship is what you are suffering. A sane government interested in such a scheme will have paid securities in terms of bank overdrafts etc. in advance especially when we had enough to do that ($120 per barrel).

I hope this message gets to the right quarters and saves you from this pitiable condition.
All is well, the lord is your strength .
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Billygee2u: 7:22am On Jan 22, 2016
Flets:
Everyone must feel this change. Ranging from market women, businessmen, white collar job workers, service entities, hustlers, entrepreneurs, students to even politicians. ....... such that the next time you are approached with propaganda, you go for the jugular.

OP .... the acting NDDC chairman is Amaechi's former commissioner of propaganda. For now they are recouping the stolen election funds spent on Buhari's campaign.

We'll join you in screaming. ... maybe they might have a rethink but the APC govt I know lacks sympathy.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Billygee2u: 7:24am On Jan 22, 2016
Flets:
Everyone must feel this change. Ranging from market women, businessmen, white collar job workers, service entities, hustlers, entrepreneurs, students to even politicians. ....... such that the next time you are approached with propaganda, you go for the jugular.

OP .... the acting NDDC chairman is Amaechi's former commissioner of propaganda. For now they are recouping the stolen election funds spent on Buhari's campaign.

We'll join you in screaming. ... maybe they might have a rethink but the APC govt I know lacks sympathy.
pure truth
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Curvinus(m): 7:31am On Jan 22, 2016
Op, do you read me? Do you copy? Abort the mission. I repeat abort the mission. Agent has been compromised. Do not engage.. Do not hit the streets. Militia are everywhere.... watchout!!! Ra ta ta ta ta ta ta ta........(sporadic gunshots)

Alert....here he is ... ta ta ta ta ta ....fuk all these..,ta ta ta ta ta ta.......you gon die sucka .... Ga ga ga ga ga gam..ta ta ta ta boom...

Mission Failed.

Restart Level

Return to main menu

Exit....
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 22, 2016
ariesbull:
L

I know that you are a yoruba from the way you reasoned

Don't deny your tribe

Good morning okeke,how is kanu?
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by EngrBright(m): 8:02am On Jan 22, 2016
bakynes:

She is right it is you who shd shut up. A family member also sponsored me to the UK for masters and only paid my tuition fee partly. When I got there I hustled my way out to pay the remaining, paid for accommodation, feeding, my project work, cloth myself and purchase return ticket back to Nigeria. I was even on full time study finished with a Merit Award and I was able to hustle my way out. Not that am supporting what the officials of the NDDC did but alot of people will kill to have this opportunity they have to study abroad. There are so many things to do over there to support yourself unlike Nigeria where to get jobs to keep body and soul is difficult.

Please stop Lying. This is the greatest lie of the century. You cannot travel to the UK without a Return ticket.
BTW the new policy of the UK govt has made it difficult for non EU students to get part time jobs.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by touche(m): 8:18am On Jan 22, 2016
Kindly try to contact Brekete family, a Radio program based in abuja. They handle public complaints such as yours. I think Thursdays are dedicated to complaints from diaspora

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 22, 2016
Mom007:
You guys are not serious. People are praying for the opportunity you have and you are there complaining about not getting feeding allowance. If you indeed value the opportunity you have been given, you will look for part time Jobs and face the school and come out with good results so that your time there won't be a total waste. As for the crooked NDDC guys that have obviously pocketed the allowance, well done o, EFCC will soon Com visiting.
No, its not like that ma, they aren't eligible to work for now, some arrived this January, some two months ago, tuition fees has not been paid to institutions, no upkeep money to survive, most scholars spent their last in obtaining visa n other miscellaneous payments at d embassy plus flight ticket purchase, they paid for accommodation themselves in the UK, we all know how the cost of living in d UK is way too expensive, not even talking abt those in London, NDDC is not adhering to their earlier made promises, so it's better to cry out now than later.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by ariesbull: 9:22am On Jan 22, 2016
Hmmmm Yoruba man and his funny way of thinking
AntiIPOB:
Good morning okeke,how is kanu?
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Maikey: 11:49am On Jan 22, 2016
Mom007:

Look at this one spewing thrash out of ignorance... Life as you hear it from someone is different from reality on the ground when you travel abroad! Know that...

@OP, ignore her and her likes. Just because they don't travel, they don't know what obtains outside the shores of Nigeria.

Apart from tuition fees being paid, 2 essentials students need are Accommodation and Feeding. How do you concentrate when you are not sure of where you'll sleep or what you'll eat tomorrow. UK is not like naija where students can open kiosk in the hostel or sleep in night classes. To start with, accommodation there is about 300k a month (speaking for a friend who's there)

Yes, getting a part time job is good, but have you thought of the effects on his academics? How many hours will he work to get enough to pay 300k house rent and won't his academics suffer? For someone that said he worked n schooled comfortably, it was probably an arts related course not a mentally demanding 1yr master course in a science field.

In conclusion. OP. I understand your plight, hopefully through this forum, your demands would be heard and met.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Sylverbox(m): 12:05pm On Jan 22, 2016
This thing has been happening for a long time now. That's why as soon as I landed UK I got me a part-time job. At least anytime they like to pay fine, if they still don't want to pay, fine also!

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
[quote author=sanky346 post=42195131][/quote]

Ask me o. The desperation no be here. My friend, relax and let them solve the current problem of those that have gone before you! Chai! U see fire, u want to go and put your head. Are u alright?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Establish Six Universities Of Science And Technology / What Were You Known For In Secondary School? Share For Fun. / Rochas Okorocha Establishes 6 New Tertiary Institutions In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.