Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,101 members, 7,835,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran (50752 Views)

"No Oil From Niger Delta If North Sabotages Osinbajo" – Militants / NNPC To Pipe Crude Oil From Niger Republic To Kaduna / Niger Delta Avengers Gives Conditions For Talks With Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by Tonason: 7:53pm On Jan 19, 2016
Remember Iran is China, Russia and Indian close allies. In other words very soon we will share our oil among ourselves. You can drink ur quota

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 19, 2016
allthingsgood:

Sorry but it doesnt work that way opec is a cartel not charity organisation. Theres lots of politics and underground manipulations. Basically, iran stands no chance. The best they can do is enter black market, but at the current rate that will be unsustainable
where did you see charity in my post. What is PEC doing to sustain the oil price. Nothing! That's what you get from Arab and blacks. You will be surprised when iran gets buyer and price dips further. Every country is producing crude now. It is everywhere. It's time for a Global organisation to see to pricing just as we have UN not some people fighting for market share. Everyone can have equal share. That's common sense.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by MPSA(m): 8:16pm On Jan 19, 2016
BlaqCoffee109:
..so you south Africans were buying our oil to drink before? it is smart to tell a person to shut up while on a social media platform? Whoa!

Madam, Please do me a favor grin. Shut your mouth. Your brother( Blater 1) is cr*zy like you. grin

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by coldasice11(m): 8:25pm On Jan 19, 2016
MansaMoussa:
Nonsense!
We can boost the domestic market in Africa For our oil.
Secure a low interest loan from China and build a west Africa gas pipeline extending all the way to Gambia...then sell at rock bottom price, govt to govt..
Russia did it in Europe...we can do it
I totally agree with you, we can even look at it this way, the Nigerian govt and Nigerin business men should build refineries in the west african sub-region , send their crude to these refineries and sell refined products at rock bottom prices to the whole of west africa and some central african countries, pay tax to the government of these countries and repartrait the proceeds back to nigeria. These countries will have no other option than to buy and use your refined products. The money repartraited back to the country will be used to develop other sectors of the economy like agriculture, tourism and mining just to mention a few. That is what a call a true giant.

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by bezimo(m): 8:28pm On Jan 19, 2016
MansaMoussa:
Nonsense!
Secure a low interest loan from China and build a west Africa gas pipeline extending all the way to Gambia...then sell at rock bottom price, govt to govt..

We Already have a West Africa Gas Pipeline (WAGP) network. it supplies gas to Ghana, we only need to extend it to other countries.

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by bezimo(m): 8:29pm On Jan 19, 2016
EbirichBen:
The gods are really angry with this Apc Government.

why the downward movement of everything

Because it was founded on lies and propaganda. Its that simple. You cant lie your way up and not expect consequences.

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by barcaboi(m): 8:30pm On Jan 19, 2016
onatisi:
Nigeria will suffer most. Mtn and shop rite are private south African companies ,while this issue is about Nigeria as a nation losing her customer ,if we lose outlr customers and buyers how will the dullard fund the budget he presented or withdrew or is preparing The whole budget thing is even too confusing sef. Such a confused set of ppl in power
so u feel we can't cope without SA? remember what Russia did when they were sanctioned?...we think outta the box....we can survive without the fuel....and just because you don't agree wt d President no mean say make u call am dullard...IMHO.....u tnk SA wldnt buck at MTN and shoprite and dstv demise from Nigeria?.....they definitely have revenues from it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by bezimo(m): 8:32pm On Jan 19, 2016
Skywalker5:
Wow. USA is really flexing their power gan. see as they are crippling countries with this their shale oil. Now they now allowed IRAN to start selling thiers. This is what i call power grin grin grin

The US shale oil is currently out of business because at the current oil price they cant produce profitably.Many oil rigs are packed up in the US.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by barcaboi(m): 8:32pm On Jan 19, 2016
OFFICIAL336:

I'll not boycott any SA product. Shoprite? DSTV? MTN?, HELL NO.
but SA will willingly boycott ours bah.....or start Xenophobic attacks again...
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by barcaboi(m): 8:39pm On Jan 19, 2016
Emekamex:

They won't be affected that much, they have a more diversified economy when compared to ours that rely mostly on crude oil; we will be the one to suffer more.
we suffer then rise above the shambles. ..are u saying in a week or so we can't have a company to take over mtn and do better?...are u saying our bizmen can't lure a better outfit than DSTV and we definitely have an alternative to Shoprite. ....infact we cld generate internal revenues from our own products. ..aint gonna be easy but we can overcome the hurdles
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by smoothlips(m): 8:40pm On Jan 19, 2016
Okanokan:

Broda! Economic Diplomacy is extremely different from Political Diplomacy. Its a lesson you must take home; its unreality reality. But this matter no reach to curse me naa!
Oya no vex say I.....you.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by cooltola(m): 8:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by ibkgab001: 8:57pm On Jan 19, 2016
singing funmi aragbaye...... ijoba orun ku dede
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by nikz(f): 8:58pm On Jan 19, 2016
Then we should go into agriculture full time. It doesn't have to be oil alone. God we need your help.

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by maxtamazin: 9:05pm On Jan 19, 2016
ProfessorPeter:
Then Nigerians should be ready to boycotts all South Africa goods and services in Nigeria.

Good idea but one very small problem tho. ....can you do without them? How many company have you set up?Bunch of lazy people.

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by MansaMoussa: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2016
coldasice11:

I totally agree with you, we can even look at it this way, the Nigerian govt and Nigerin business men should build refineries in the west african sub-region , send their crude to these refineries and sell refined products at rock bottom prices to the whole of west africa and some central african countries, pay tax to the government of these countries and repartrait the proceeds back to nigeria. These countries will have no other option than to buy and use your refined products. The money repartraited back to the country will be used to develop other sectors of the economy like agriculture, tourism and mining just to mention a few. That is what a call a true giant.

God bless you!
I don't know why we don't wanna be an ambitious in Nigeria! Our Soldiers have died in more conflicts in West Africa than elsewhere, yet we don't even want to fully subdue the subregion economically!
Foreign Businessmen should see Nigeria as a gate to West Africa (just like Dubai and formally Beirut in the ME)
Russia is throwing tantrums in Europe unchallenged because they have gotten European countries to rely FULLY on CHEAP RUSSIAN Gas to survive Winter..it's just too cheap to gamble away on the alter of ideological sentiments (sorry Ukraine) .
I don't see the entrant of Iran and US into the Oil Market as a bad thing. It only made the market more competitive..whoever sells cheapest and provides the sweetest deals takes home the customer's money!
See Angola na!
Nigeria and Saudi being Older Exporters should have experience in their side whole navigating these new market challenges!
Go back to the basics!

2 Likes

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by abeniagbon(m): 9:33pm On Jan 19, 2016
ProfessorPeter:
Then Nigerians should be ready to boycotts all South Africa goods and services in Nigeria.

Confirm
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by 14(m): 9:39pm On Jan 19, 2016
ZDee:
was expecting these type of illiiterate comments, SA refineries are suited for iranian oil, and its far cheaper for SA to import from Iran. .

Now this is some one who understands the whole engineering part of it. South African refinaries had to do some major modifications in their plants to accomodate thick bony nigerian oil. And it is expensive to refine the bony oil from nigeria. Light oil from iran is cheap and very cheap to refine.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by Dirkcoyt: 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
MansaMoussa:
Who said China doesn't give Loans no more because it's experiencing Slow Growth?
What do you do when your Economy Stagnates? Your Spend more to get it kicking! America did this!
China has and will keep giving loans to strategic partners! Will you say all the Assets our Military have been acquiring are based on CoD?
Look at the Amount China is Spending in East Africa, (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya etc)...

What's in for China?
Expanded Trade and Geopolitical Clout!
More over seas jobs for Chinese engineers etc and lots more!

Nigeria's Oil Fields operating at a Loss?
Hehehe! Upgrade your technology for cost effective production or Cash Out to younger vibrant new entrants into the market!

Militants will blow them up!
Arm up the Navy, Set up a robust Coast guard system,
Review our Amnesty Agreement and bring serious ND sons to the table ( shoot the criminals)

How will we fund the Loans?
We are selling Oil to West Africa daily right? So what happens to a sharing Formula as conditions attached to the bank loan provided by Exim? ( A serious Economic Lawyer can negotiate us a good deal)

Alternative Income Source is the Forward!
I agree entirely that we must diversify! But we cannot diversify overnight when we had 50+ years to do that...it should be phased!

Alternative Energy Sources are gaining ground at alarming rate, if we do not maximise the benefits of Oil, we'll one day see Foreign Soldiers in our Lands telling us to stop drilling and selling Oil,cuz it's polluting the World and causing Climate change!

#letsdebateconstructively

Really apt,concise, witty and I don't know more adjectives to use.

The thing is we are lazy when its comes to harnessing our mental capability as humans in this part of the world, great insight bro.

Funniest part, I wasn't thinking in from the POV at all! Really nice, will try my best as a good citizen to share this post to some top dawgs in govt on twitter, hopefullly they get to see it. Cause I believe to make this nation great we all must be thinking.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by 14(m): 10:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
kernel504:

YOU THINK THEY ARE FOOLS? WHAT SORT OF PUNITIVE JUDGEMENT IS THAT, THEY (MTN) WILL RATHER PULL AWAY FROM NIGERIA.

MTN ain't paying nothing. watch the space.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by 14(m): 11:57pm On Jan 19, 2016
Lezzlie:
Lame submission. Mention how many countries these companies generate more profit than Nigeria?

Must you opine shallow points just to be seen?

Shoprite stores in SA = 1 400
Shoprite stores in nigeria = 27

Dstv subscribers in SA = 5.5m
Dstv subscribers in naija= 1.6m

game stores in SA = 700
game stores in naija = 8

what are you talking about, you see SA companies have more investments at home than in nigeria, so they can afford to walk out of Nigeria.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by GenIgrigi: 12:25am On Jan 20, 2016
**grins** Less money for bullets and guns to shoot unarmed protesters. Nice one from the Msanzis! **grins**

1 Like

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by Dirkcoyt: 12:44am On Jan 20, 2016
14:

game stores in SA = 700
game stores in naija = 8

what are you talking about, you see SA companies have more investments at home than in nigeria, so they can afford to walk out of Nigeria.

This your stat is so basic bro.

Imagine your logic, why you no include mtn? I thought you would have reeled out mtn figures too.

The truth is, nigeria is a bigger market than SA, if mtn nigeria has 5million subscribers does that mean those 5million are active users? Some might just use those sim when there are cheats, bonus or whatever it is.

So bringing such out is too basic.

Between those companies you enlisted have strong competition in SA, like shoprite has a huge competition in SA compared to nigeria where every mall is called shoprite. Believe me, population is a determining factor when it comes to market capitalisation, ask china what is her greatest strength.

Imagine dangote cement holding a grip on india market, like how mtn holds real share of telecom in nigeria, believe me considering how deep rooted dangote cement is in nigeria, he won't want to be ejected out of india population for anything and relegated to a market like guinea. Hope you get this.
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by Lezzlie(m): 5:59am On Jan 20, 2016
14:

game stores in SA = 700
game stores in naija = 8

Dude, do you read before posting your submissions? Are all you Zulus having dyslexia?

Your compatriot said your companies are scattered all over Africa and I asked HOW MANY COUNTRIES DO THESE COMPANIES MAKE MORE MONEY THAN IN NIGERIA. And you're giving figures of these companies in their own home country. Sorry, but you're a drooling daft.

Dangote has Its biggest revenue in Nigeria than in any other country, would it thrive if he were to leave his investments and concentrate on Nigeria? Lame.

If I were to respond to your weak submission, I will tell you the number of subscribers or number of stores doesn't necessarily reflect profit and revenues generated.

And listen, All your companies will give their arm to remain and invest in Nigeria. We have the market, economy and population to play the peacock to any multinational firm.

You Zulus always like to read your own comments no matter how weak.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by princejayboss: 6:00am On Jan 20, 2016
stevecantrell:

SA has never been a true friend of Nigeria.

So our economy should go bunkers cos of your insane love for buhari.... Nigeria need re-colonization
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by allthingsgood: 6:10am On Jan 20, 2016
majekdom2:
where did you see charity in my post. What is PEC doing to sustain the oil price. Nothing! That's what you get from Arab and blacks. You will be surprised when iran gets buyer and price dips further. Every country is producing crude now. It is everywhere. It's time for a Global organisation to see to pricing just as we have UN not some people fighting for market share. Everyone can have equal share. That's common sense.

Opec is not UN. There can never be equal share, especially since we dont have equal production capacity. Go and read your history. OPEC is the only way the oil producers can fight the western world for our own resources.
Before the birth of OPEC, the 7 sisters: chevron, BP, etc were commanding who produces and at what price, toppling govts for oil, initiating wars and murdering our leaders.
Iran will not enter opec as long as saudi and nigeria control the cartel. Let them sell to the west and become their slaves
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by mapet: 6:32am On Jan 20, 2016
crazygod:
Are we still talking about oil in this country? like really? Don't this govt peeps read nairaland ni? There are lots of solutions to Nigeria's economic problems that have been stated on this forum. Govt should employ people that will be reading nairaland everyday if his economic team can do anything. infact, do we have an economic team in this country? i dey vez sef. I foresee lots of oil workers being laid off. Crude oil ko jawo mo.

You can't be serious......... NL that is filled with "premature" babies......
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by mapet: 6:33am On Jan 20, 2016
MadCow1:
Ofcourse..

Iran is currently the only nation not worried by falling prices of oil because even at the current price, they are still selling at almost 100% profit

wrong, nobody sells at 100% profit
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by MPSA(m): 6:36am On Jan 20, 2016
Lezzlie:
Dude, do you read before posting your submissions? Are all you Zulus having dyslexia?

Your compatriot said your companies are scattered all over Africa and I asked HOW MANY COUNTRIES DO THESE COMPANIES MAKE MORE MONEY THAN IN NIGERIA. And you're giving figures of these companies in their own home country. Sorry, but you're a drooling daft.

Dangote has Its biggest revenue in Nigeria than in any other country, would it thrive if he were to leave his investments and concentrate on Nigeria? Lame.

If I were to respond to your weak submission, I will tell you the number of subscribers or number of stores doesn't necessarily reflect profit and revenues generated.

And listen, All your companies will give their arm to remain and invest in Nigeria. We have the market, economy and population to play the peacock to any multinational firm.

You Zulus always like to read your own comments no matter how weak.

Don't cry when we(Zulus) hit your country again "Big man" grin
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by mapet: 6:41am On Jan 20, 2016
vivalavida:
Sometimes Buhari needs to think before acting. South Africa won't fold their hands and watch u slap such a heavy fine on a company of theirs no matter the excuse.

Now,they have retaliated by hitting Nigeria below the belt

some of you just make idiotic statements in ignorance.....

1. The movement of oil prices has nothing to do with South Africa decision to quit buying from Nigeria
2. South Africa is not Nigeria's largest buyer of crude
3. We sell crude and import refined oil derivatives. That in itself is a case of self-destruct from the get-to-go.
4. Nigeria is MTN's largest pool of customers. MTN makes more than double what they make in South Africa in Nigeria. So tell me who looses
5. .....no matter the excuse you say? That in itself is a statement that needs a reassessment. So you just sit down and allow foreign companies to break the law at will and "piss" on you afterwards, and you say the government should fold it's arms? Shame
6. Even if they exploit court delays, the day the government wield the big stick, MTN's toast. We seen cases where government had sent bigger companies out of their countries.....cases of Skype, facebook in China and Korea comes to mind
Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by mapet: 6:44am On Jan 20, 2016
IzonOwei:

MansaMoussa: :
Nonsense!
now please tell me how naija tends to achieve that..Just how...you think this present admin can think half that way..true federalism a way forward...and if the NCC likes let it continue to strangle mtn..nonsense...

This government should rush to save our economy or what will happen next won't be funny ...

You mean after he'd given a hint on what the government should and probably will do, you're still asking "how"? then you need to check your understanding. Stop throwing words like "true federalism" that means nothing in practical terms and context.

Even if we had no issue with MTN, countries are bound to court Iran, because Iran will naturally enter and lay a stake in the Oil trade market with cheaper oil

2 Likes

Re: South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran by mapet: 6:48am On Jan 20, 2016
Okanokan:

International Politics is not played the way your response sound. Why is it that, Buhari Supporters responses to critical National Issues is always laced with annoyance and not superior argument? For Goodness sake Nigeria belong to all us, you don't own it more than me.

May be because you "Non Buhari supporters" turn logic on its head ab-initio......... grin grin grin

Meanwhile international politics is not played with companies illegally exploiting host countries in revenues and government take. The SA government will not even support that (overtly or covertly), as it will send a wrong signal that SA companies are cheats........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Heavy Smoke In Port Harcourt (pictures) / Akpabio Dances Gbe Body, Zanku To Celebrate His Ministerial Appointment (Photos) / Nigerian Police Officer Asking For Bribe (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.