Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (11465 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by OkraSoup1: 6:46pm On Jun 24, 2009
I'm more concerned with improving my Igbo
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:48pm On Jun 24, 2009
should have stayed in Nigeria for that instead of an ENGLISH nation
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by 1honeybee: 6:50pm On Jun 24, 2009
The point is, Child A didn't take any interest in other languages, Child B did and she's the only one who can speak her language among her brothers and sisters. She's learning Yoruba now grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by FerrariGP: 6:56pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ thiefofhearts, GOD bless u o!!

i wonder if our lingua franca is chinesw or german??

am sure people will make the same excuse of mother tongue if that were to be the case,

its a shame when a graduate can not write or speak the language in which he/she was taught for an average of 16years btw primary and university, be it german, italian, english, chinese, indian, japenese, yoruba etc, PERIOD
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by 1honeybee: 6:56pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

Load of rubbish.Speak for yourself.If for anything the group of guys i grew up with it was the ones that were brought up speaking english at homes that were the dullards or as we used to say 'nwa mummy'.

Where is NINETOFIVE when you need him.

As far as child B was born and went to primary school in an igbo speaking area the likelyhood of her speaking or knowing how to speak igbo is high unlike child A.

Not true. She went to primary school with children that were in the same situation as herself. I wonder why her brother and sisters can't speak the language though as they went to the same primary school if what you're saying is applicable  here. For records, their parents didn't allow them to interact with other children this is why she had to get to FGC (boarding house) before learning.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by tpiah: 6:57pm On Jun 24, 2009
1honeybee:

@ asha and tpiah

I think the ability of a child whose parents are Yoruba, living in Owerri and been communicated to at home in English depend on the child. I know two families A and B, both are Igbo. Family A lives in Warri and speak English to their children, children went FGC around the same area they live but the children only understand a little bit of their Igbo language and can't speak it.
Family B on the other hand live in Abia, communicate with their children in English, children went to FGC in Akwa-ibom and they can speak their Igbo language fluently.
I asked a child from family B how she learnt her language, she said she learnt from friends and they go to their village as well so she was able to learn from the grandmother.
Child from family A on the other hand said she believed English was all she had to understand and therefore didn't have interest in other languages until now.

I'd save my saliva if I were you. No point arguing with the local village champion aka asha 80.

Her agitated post below sums up her philosophy in life:

asha 80:

Where is NINETOFIVE when you need him.

the only suitable response for some people is duuh.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by mrmetoo1: 7:02pm On Jun 24, 2009
@eldee

I think you're getting lost in your own argument. My point is you said you laugh at people that support teaching their indigenous language in their homes like doing that would prevent anyone from learning English. So I just went ahead to give examples of people that get taught different languages in their homes and still speak English fluently. Apart from the Mexicans, I gave an example of myself, didn't I? I spent most of my years in Nigeria so the argument about them living in the US doesn't hold water.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 7:07pm On Jun 24, 2009
tpiah:

I'd save my saliva if I were you. No point arguing with the local village champion aka asha 80.

Her agitated post below sums up her philosophy in life:

the only suitable response for some people is duuh.

Market woman kind of response.1honeybee has given me a more constructive reason.The only thing you know is curse and rant. grin

I asked for NINETOFIVE because he is more experienced in this kind of things.

If for anything 1honeybee is even countering your post more than mine.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by tpiah: 7:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

Market woman kind of response.1honeybee has given me a more constructive reason.The only thing you know is curse and rant. grin

If for anything 1honeybee is even countering your post more than mine.

duuuh.

So far, the only person cursing and ranting here is you. Check your posts?

Anyway, its due to the Love Machine shortage, like I said. Quite understandable.

asha 80:

enough said.

NINETOFIVE is your hero. We've heard.

Speaks volumes btw.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:24pm On Jun 24, 2009
tpiah:

NINETOFIVE is your hero. We've heard.

Speaks volumes btw.

It really does. Won o reyun gidi fi shey "hero"
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 7:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

It really does. Won o reyun gidi fi shey "hero"

Onye kpotakwara nu orobo nke a yiri uzodimgba cheesy tongue
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by desiree(f): 7:33pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Topic

The reason is because it has become very easy for Nigerian graduates to "pay" for their degrees one way or the other. Even if they come with a well prepared resume, you still need to be weary of the kind of blunders they make on the job.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:35pm On Jun 24, 2009
why would i care about what you wrote?
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by NobiGod: 7:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
Poster almost got me with his reasonable analyses until experts here brought out his own flaws.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by HBaryour(m): 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
angry Simply because na xpo them dey use tru out skool.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by HBaryour(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2009
angry Simply because na xpo them dey use tru out skool.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2009
@post

Most of nigerian pupils and student these days hardly read.Whether it is novels,newspapers.Also lots of teachers in secondary and primary schools are no longer serious with their jobs due to a number of reasons especially the pay factor.

Excellence in academics in nigeria is no longer reverred as before.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by desiree(f): 7:45pm On Jun 24, 2009
Instead of being defensive, we should all look at the underlining message. What he is saying is actually true. Why would you make spelling mistakes on your resume??
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Sauron1: 8:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

@post

Most of nigerian pupils and student these days hardly read.Whether it is novels,newspapers.Also lots of teachers in secondary and primary schools are no longer serious with their jobs due to a number of reasons especially the pay factor.

Excellence in academics in nigeria is no longer reverred as before.

I beg to differ. . . . .
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 8:20pm On Jun 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

I beg to differ. . . . .

Why dou think so?
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Builder: 8:23pm On Jun 24, 2009
Typical of nigerians we are never proud of our heritage or what we got, we rather be proud of the white mans heritage, why must english language be a determinant of our educational system or how we live afterall, english folks themselves are worse than the worst of nigerians when it comes to spoken and written english.

Our level of ignorance amazes me, especially the insult levelled against those who make grammatical error, Glenn Hoddle the former english manager murders the language whenever he speaks, David Becham is a typical example and most of the english commentators, not to mention George Bush, Donald Rumsfield etc all have very poor communication skills but in that part of the world, your lack of english language is no death sentence. but nigerians must make sure you speak the queens english before you can be accepted. Why must we allow someone elses language to erode of culture? huh

Colonisation is alive and well.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Sauron1: 8:31pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

Why dou think so?

How can u say academic excellence is no longer revered in Nigeria?

Is this what the yahoo-yahoo culture has done to y'all?
Please. . . . .fall in line and stop making baseless claims.
How do people get jobs in Nigeria? Scholarships? Through tribal marks?
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 8:35pm On Jun 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

How can u say academic excellence is no longer revered in Nigeria?

Is this what the yahoo-yahoo culture has done to y'all?
Please. . . . .fall in line and stop making baseless claims.
How do people get jobs in Nigeria? Scholarships? Through tribal marks?

Compared to before especially in the 70s and 80s?I know you are based in uk.

Go to nigeria and stay 6months and interact with lots of nigerian students and tell me how 'serious' they are.

How people get jobs in nigeria?50%merit and 50% 'conection'.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by OutlukBabe(f): 8:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
Nigerians are confusing Speaking/Writing English as good education. No wonder we arent going to go anywhere. Staying in the UK make me hate the attitude of many Nigerians. I would like to exclude those born here or those that grew up here. But the Nigerians that are old say 25, 30 some even in their 40s, just from nowhere will start to stutter gibberish jargons in the name of acquiring British/English accent. The Indians here, apart from the ones born here, dont bother about this nonsense. Of all the Indians I know, they speak/write poor english. Speaking English have nothing to do with University Education. I have gone to school with many British, who although they speak the language very well, but dont hav knowledge of any grammatical structure of the language. Ask them to write something, and it will be appalling. Please my ppl dont not confuse learning trade with learning language. University education is about learning a trade in a more modern way.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Sauron1: 8:46pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

Compared to before especially in the 70s and 80s?I know you are based in uk.
Go to nigeria and stay 6months and interact with lots of nigerian students and tell me how 'serious' they are.

The serious ones are serious. . . . .Don't compare a Nigerian student with his fate in his hands to the ones engaged in ccriminal activities.
A lot of them go abroad to complete their M.Scs and get zapped by big companies.

How people get jobs in nigeria?50%merit and 50% 'conection'.

Jesus Wept!!!
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by nazzyon(m): 9:14pm On Jun 24, 2009
How many Nigerian Undergrad or Grad Students did the poster talked to while in Nigeria?

She, na witch teach the poster Oyinbo?

If you don't like what you see; try to come to Nigeria to contribute your own quota.

There are so many people in the country busting their asses to help the less priviledge people.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by davidif: 10:17pm On Jun 24, 2009
Abeg, english is not our native language. The question the poster should have asked was why is it that most nigerians can't speak there native language fluently (without using a word of english in it or without them stammering or pausing to remember what word to use).
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Jun 24, 2009
How come chinese grads cant even speak an iota of english ?

English isn't their lingua franca.  A nigerian is expected to know english just like a togolese is expected to know french
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
their, not there.

you should be deported.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by lojik(m): 11:26pm On Jun 24, 2009
@poster
What was the required/emphasized area of competence of the graduates you were recruiting? If you were recruiting engineers or technical experts and you had disqualified 90% because of their poor use of English Language, then you need re-orientation as an employer.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 11:30pm On Jun 24, 2009
lojik:

@poster
What was the required/emphasized area of competence of the graduates you were recruiting? If you were recruiting engineers or technical experts and you had disqualified 90% because of their poor use of English Language, then you need re-orientation as an employer.

shocked grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:38pm On Jun 24, 2009
what kind of technical expert doesnt understand English in a country that was colonized BY the English

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped / I Need Admission Without Jamb Into Any University. / World's Largest Known Spider (bird-eating Spider)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.