Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped (11422 Views)

Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) / Why Post-ume Test Must Stay: An Impressive Throwback Comment From Ui Former Vc. / JAMB 2016 Should Not Be Scrapped Or Remarked - See Why! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by matolysis(m): 11:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
Some many years back before post JAMB, securing admission into higher institutions, universities to be precise, was very difficult for the brainy owing to high level of admission malpractices, directly or indirectly by the school bodies. The advent of POST JAMB ( Now post UTME) put an end or perhaps a very big check on this negativity.

I, personally, happen to be one of the many that faced these challenges and also part of the lucky ones that reaped the good fruit of post UTME. Without much ado, I can categorically say that post UTME is one of the best quality assurance mechanism for most institutions.

Some beautiful quotes in line with this article:
"If universities will not become breeding grounds for ill-baked, sophomoric and dilettantish graduates, then, post UME test must remain to be part of our admission process criteria."....anonymous

"To avoid the abuse of university education in the country, JAMB and Post-JAMB should work together to compliment each other so that the optimal output will be achieved in our Universities. While Post-JAMB will continue to benefit from JAMB, the fear of passing Post-JAMB screening test will reduce the desire to bribe JAMB staff to cheat hence passing JAMB is no more the only criteria to gain admission into university in the country but a mere qualification to face Post-JAMB screening test which does not give room for cheating.''..... Hundu William Terseer

In highlights, here my five reasons why post UTME should not be scrapped:
1. It check-mates 'runs'....tell me you don't know the meaning of 'runs'
2. It invites in more transparency to institutions enrolment processes.
3. Students knowing that two screening processes await them, they tend to tighten their belts as regards preparation.
4. It creates a major resistance to students who exceedingly passed jamb via malpractices.
5. Various institutions can boast of good quality of students. This is true as post UTME has improved the academic standard of undergraduate students owing to their good academic performances.

More Cushion:
According to an educational research carried out by Hundu William Terseer,
" The foregoing discussion has shown that Post-JAMB is more effective than JAMB as selection test for university admission. However, lessons have to be learnt from the finding. The effectiveness of Post-JAMB may not be unconnected with the fact that the screening test is conducted for students who have already taken JAMB examinations. This implies that Post-JAMB on its own may not be able to achieve huge success unless JAMB comes in to trim down the large population opting for University Admission. JAMB can continue as a primary screening exercise for university admission while Post-JAMB will continue to be the final screening exercise.
TWO SYSTEMS OF ENROLLMENT
The retaining of the two systems of enrollment is vital and cost effective if education is to be taken as serious business in the country. This can be considered in two ways. First, JAMB plays the role of ‘filtering’ which reduces the population students that would have become an obstacle to the smooth conduct of Post-JAMB test, secondary, Students access information about University admission from JAMB, such information will be difficult to access is leave into the hand of individual universities.
The implication from the findings of this study is that, poor academic performance of undergraduate students is strongly related to the enrollment process through which they gain admission. The fact still remains that irrespective of poor infrastructure in our universities, if qualified students are admitted they will at least earn a class of degree higher than a third class and pass degree. This has been proved to be true from this research work. The federal government should therefore have a rethink on University Entrance Examinations if the desired manpower is to be achieved for economic development and nation building.
Although Post-JAMB screening exercise might not be the best option to solve JAMB problem in a democratic setting, it is however the most effective tool to rescue to educational system in the country. The problem is diverse; JAMB seems to be the cause of the dilemma it found itself. JAMB has for long taken its JAMB for granted. JAMB engages in collecting money from students who do not have minimum qualification for university education, only to allow them write an examination they are not qualified for, this often results to unprecedented number of student seating for the examination such that JAMB cannot effectively control, this has resulted to proliferation of JAMB centres that does not look like centres for conducting examination for university entrance.
Secondly the remunerations JAMB pays to her adhoc staff and the calibre of staff JAMB recruits these days is overwhelming. Even to this present day, JAMB pay as low as N2000.00 for conduct of an examination that candidates are willing to pay over 10,000 for ‘assistance’. Perhaps, what interest JAMB adhoc staff is not the JAMB money but money they will collect from candidates for ‘assistance’?
The credibility of Post-JAMB is however commendable. In the first place, the calibre of staff conducting the Post-JAMB screening are usually made of senior staff that cannot easily be bought over for a peanut and there is less contact between the candidate and those conducting the examination. Again must of the Universities including Federal University of Technology, Yola, have adapted the use of on-line test where students interact with computer to approach question This also reduces the involvement of human error in the screening test.
To avoid the abuse of university education in the country, JAMB and Post-JAMB should work together to complimentary each other so that the optimal output will be achieved in our Universities. While Post-JAMB will continue to benefit from JAMB, the fear of passing Post-JAMB screening test will reduce the desire to bribe JAMB staff to cheat hence passing JAMB is no more the only criteria to gain admission into university in the country but a mere qualification to face Post-JAMB screening test which does not give room for cheating.''

9 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by looseweight: 6:52am On Jun 20, 2016
In summary,
1. You can acquire jamb result but not post utme
2. Post utme separates the dull from brainy.....

IAMLOOSEWEIGHT

5 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by KOFICOSUZARANDA(m): 6:53am On Jun 20, 2016
See this one

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by seunlayi(m): 6:54am On Jun 20, 2016
Post jamb has greatly reduced admission fraud expecially in the merit list of most institutions. Even those that have the best of connection must still meet some criteria before their connection can book them a space in the supplementary list. Using other forms of screening will only favoured the highly connected before and highest bidders to move easily into higher institutions.

The only problem with post jamb is the charges. The amount that is bn charged by schools needs to be reduced downward.

To the poster below me, try to get the statistics of the number of students trying to gain admission and the number of space that is available in all our tertiary institutions in Nigeria vs those countries you are referring to.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by kyrios: 6:54am On Jun 20, 2016
What is this one saying?
Back then you only write jamb and gbam you get admission but when jamb became questionable they introduced post jamb and that jamb is back on its feet post jamb should go na abi
In developed countries you only write SATs that's all anyone that doesn't tighten his or her belt is on his own like say them no dey bribe official for post jamb sef

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by lonelydora: 6:55am On Jun 20, 2016
Op, are you for real?
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by CaptainEColeJnr: 6:55am On Jun 20, 2016
Great write-up.

Those clamouring for the scrapping of Post UME are either lazy students who wanna avoid exams by all means or they're simply daft and bereft of common reasoning that non-availability of post UME create room for bribery and injustice.

Simply removing Post UME reduces the standard of our Universities, and paves way for admission injustice.

Definitely not a good idea. Might be a brainwave but not a good idea

5 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by bettercreature(m): 6:56am On Jun 20, 2016
seunlayi:
It should not be scrapped
Supported! Scrapping it will only make admission more difficult for a common man

1 Like

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by calebrita(m): 6:57am On Jun 20, 2016
I know schools will design another means soon.
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by youngvizzy1(m): 6:59am On Jun 20, 2016
To hell with jamb and post ume oooooo
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Dianashantie(f): 6:59am On Jun 20, 2016
Good
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by dinoGLGNG(m): 7:01am On Jun 20, 2016
Op your pop need to be breast feed
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Samexdx(m): 7:02am On Jun 20, 2016
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Youngetskilz23(m): 7:02am On Jun 20, 2016
OP e be like say you never sidon for house tey. asin u nver write jamb 10Times. post utme 15times. they should scrap that poo. e don too fraustrate pepu

5 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 20, 2016
Hey you keep shut there. I swear I hate oversabi people. The FG that scrapped are dumb right?

10 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by sojayy(m): 7:03am On Jun 20, 2016
Even post utme get runs !

2 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by sojayy(m): 7:06am On Jun 20, 2016
Even post utme get !
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by dhakingpin(m): 7:08am On Jun 20, 2016
cool bro nice right up,
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by seunlayi(m): 7:08am On Jun 20, 2016
sojayy:
Even post utme get runs !

Postutme runs can easily be checked.

It allows for a level playing ground. I know what I am saying, I m into the system,many in the system are now happy because scrapping it will allow free flow of admission fraud. Think about it

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 20, 2016
Ur review is one sided
Post Utme should be scrap
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by seunlayi(m): 7:10am On Jun 20, 2016
bendeco12:
op u makes no Sence. ... U r just typing trash...
how is postume reduce malpractice in this Nigeria we are??... some people that knwos the way or have connection may not even need to write the fucking exam and get admission.. Am talking with experience.. some will write postume and score low but will still upgrade their score even score higher than brainy ones.. example of schools that do upgrade their score are FUTO, UNIZIK etc.. Am a student of futo 200 level dept of MME. so what am trying to tell you is that jamb is tighter than postume.

It is your school system that is faulty. You can't say this of UI, OAU, etc.

to some of the posters below me, the issue of machinery is only for some schools. There are schools in the SW were it is the Passport you use for your post utme that you will use throughout your studentship

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Thomsyne(m): 7:10am On Jun 20, 2016
True... Or else... Admission just becomes for the rich and lucky ones alone... By the way...

Read: Top Ten Nigerian Universities as rated by Webometrics
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 20, 2016
Good article.

The elephant in the room...no the two elephants in the room are

1.JAMB can be compromised.

2.Nigeria's bad primary and secondary school systems.
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by AnodaIT(m): 7:15am On Jun 20, 2016
Hmm

When I entered school, there was no post-anything, just get your cut off point and check your name on the admission list, if your name is not there you start doing runs for second list.

I have seen a school sending a score for a subject the candidate never sat for. The whole system has been compromised

2 Likes

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by whitebeard(m): 7:19am On Jun 20, 2016
which one nah..see only people that are wrote jamb should comment
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 20, 2016
seunlayi:

Postutme runs can easily be checked.

It allows for a level playing ground. I know what I am saying, I m into the system,many in the system are now happy because scrapping it will allow free flow of admission fraud. Think about it
Ur in the system, do u know how all schools in Nigeria operate, I knew someone that didn't write pume exam at uniben, (somebody probably wrote for him) but he got admission. The fraud in pume is still very much. To me, I wud rather scrap jamb n leave pume tho. Cus they are the same.

1 Like

Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by musa56(m): 7:28am On Jun 20, 2016
Its a bad idea
Re: Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped by realmindz: 7:29am On Jun 20, 2016
scrapping post utme is counter productive

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unn Admission List Is Out / ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman / List Of Cheapest Universities In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.