Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,772 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise (29943 Views)

13 Under-16 Soccer Team Trapped In Underwater Cave For 5days In Thailand(Photos) / Nigeria Europe Base Under 16 / Katsuya Takasu With Mikel Obi & Siasia As He Fulfills His $390,000 Promise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by theplushist: 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2016
huh
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Phonon: 1:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
Did Buhari factor in the time value of money using the appropriate interest rate? grin
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by mobaladh: 1:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
Baba Ride On
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by MisterGrace: 1:14pm On Jan 21, 2016
politricks:
Sometimes i wonder if buhari is a Nigerian because of his character of integrity, sincerity and uprightness. God why didn't you give buhari to us sooner than this and instead cursed us with a clueless person. Anyway, God 'nose' best.

The curse is for yourself only, don't include others.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by pelusky(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
undecided Better said than done --- better done than said
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by mikron(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
quotequote:

http://www.punchng.com/buhari-fulfils-31-year-old-promise-to-atere-ugbade-others/.
was it only the 1986 set he rewarded with N2m each? what about this present under 17 set that won the trophy for the 5th time, i mean this present osimhen/nwakali set? werent they rewarded? Brila fm reported they were also at the villa including the para-Olympians and the the nations basketball team the TIGERS. were they not rewarded as well? @op, ur reportage of this news is flawed. just my observation
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by mikron(m): 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2016
at least it was better late than never. kudos to the president.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by otipoju(m): 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
uselessgoat:
undecided He gave recent winners 20k each while 1985 winners got 2million each this baba na dullarrd true true undecided

Whichever ever God you pray to, ask him for more wisdom...so that you can think deeply , and process your thoughts better before rushing to type in public.

Recent wimners are young and have a whole life ahead of them and blossoming careers that will fetch them millions.

The 85 set are matured family men who now have huge responsibilities but may not have the wherewithal to meet them.

Then for the sake of justice it makes sense if they are given something tangible to right the wrong of over 30 years.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
[s]
otipoju:

Whichever ever God you pray to, ask him for more wisdom...so that you can think deeply , and process your thoughts better before rushing to type in public.

Recent wimners are young and have a whole life ahead of them and blossoming careers that will fetch them millions.

The 85 set are matured family men who now have huge responsibilities but may not have the wherewithal to meet them.

Then for the sake of justice it makes sense if they are given something tangible to right the wrong of over 30 years.
[/s]

rubbish
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by ajebuter(f): 1:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
If Buhari is fulfilling a promise made 31 years later

Then, those waiting for 5k should wait for another 31 years

Look on the bright side sha

It would have accrued more interests..

grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by otipoju(m): 1:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
uselessgoat:
[i][/i]

rubbish

Nice one useless goat. More fodder for the ruminant.
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by repogirl(f): 1:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
Lol, 200 million naira error again....? Anyway what do we expect from a govt ridiculed with errors? Lord save us for the next three years.
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by bunmifunsho: 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sum of Governors are nt pay their workers salary... Remember sir
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
people are clapping for buhari but Im disappionted...Let me ask one question...What if he did not win? comic president in a comic country smh
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by 9jatatafo(m): 1:40pm On Jan 21, 2016
After how many years?
Presidential errors
Calling the German Chancellor as president of West Germany
Submitting two versions of the national budget to NASS
Announcing N200 million each to the 1985 Eaglets instead of N2million each.
Too much kunu in the blood
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
uselessgoat:
undecided He gave recent winners 20k each while 1985 winners got 2million each this baba na dullarrd true true undecided
Thrash,,no money to waste dis time around..
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by arusoncd(m): 1:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
evidence of a misplaced certificate.
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by stagger: 1:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
ajebuter:
If Buhari is fulfilling a promise made 31 years later

Then, those waiting for 5k should wait for another 31 years

Look on the bright side sha

It would have accrued more interests..

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Buhari was overthrown a few days after the team won the cup and returned. NTA could not transmit the matches live because the tournament held in Beijing (then still known as Peking), so the matches were shown as delayed matches. No one took the tournament serious as this was the very 1st edition. First they beat Italy in a match where Lucky Agbonsevbafe saved a penalty. Then they drew goalless with Saudi Arabia, beat Costa Rica 3-0 and qualified for the quarter final.

They came from behind to beat Hungary 3-1 with a hattrick from Bella Momoh, beat Guinea 5-3 on penalties and then beat the highly fancied West German team 2-0 despite playing with 10-men for much of the second-half.

To put it in perspective, that West German team featured players like Marcel Witeczek who was the highest goal scorer in that tournament and also in Chile 87 two years later, and who later featured for Bayern Munich.

NODODY GAVE THAT TEAM A CHANCE. They were the first Nigerian team to win a FIFA organized tournament in an era where racism in football was very open (notice how the linesman was shouting at the players to go back so the game could be restarted quickly). People only picked interest when they qualified for the semis. The goal scored by Victor Igbinoba in stoppage time that gave Nigeria the 2-nil advantage in that match was a classic. You can see it on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYfJqW55ts

How many of our Super Eagles strikers have scored a goal of such quality in recent times? Those boys did us proud and the fact that IBB and other Presidents could not honour those promises until 31 years later is a testament to how we treat our heroes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Cadamlk: 1:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
myners007:
Let me grasp my share fast before NFF knife mine. I really worked hard in ensuring that we won the maiden edition of the tournament
See ya self?
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by kellsblingsz(m): 1:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Wat nonsense, he rewarded thoes dat played since 1981 bt gave only 20,000 naira to our junior players dat won d world cup
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Mjshexy(f): 1:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sasuwa:
nice
Sorry to ask is this u or Anna Baner?
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Akaujaa(m): 1:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
What thrilled me most was not just the reward of N2million each to the members of the 1985 edition but the transparency that characterised the monetary awards as the President painstakingly announced the cash benefits categorically. By that, everyone knows how much the country spent rewarding her sports ambassadors.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by Baboo13(m): 1:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
I'm sure those 1985 set will be very happy

You know what extra 2million can do in this present economy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by ChuckD1(m): 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
grin They must have written that amount as #2, 000,000.
Anyway hope we won't wait 30 years for fulfillment of his electoral promises.
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by ajebuter(f): 1:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
stagger:

Buhari was overthrown a few days after the team won the cup and returned. NTA could not transmit the matches live because the tournament held in Beijing (then still known as Peking), so the matches were shown as delayed matches. No one took the tournament serious as this was the very 1st edition. First they beat Italy in a match where Lucky Agbonsevbafe saved a penalty. Then they drew goalless with Saudi Arabia, beat Costa Rica 3-0 and qualified for the quarter final.

They came from behind to beat Hungary 3-1 with a hattrick from Bella Momoh, beat Guinea 5-3 on penalties and then beat the highly fancied West German team 2-0 despite playing with 10-men for much of the second-half.

To put it in perspective, that West German team featured players like Marcel Witeczek who was the highest goal scorer in that tournament and also in Chile 87 two years later, and who later featured for Bayern Munich.

NODODY GAVE THAT TEAM A CHANCE. They were the first Nigerian team to win a FIFA organized tournament in an era where racism in football was very open (notice how the linesman was shouting at the players to go back so the game could be restarted quickly). People only picked interest when they qualified for the semis. The goal scored by Victor Igbinoba in stoppage time that gave Nigeria the 2-nil advantage in that match was a classic. You can see it on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYfJqW55ts

How many of our Super Eagles strikers have scored a goal of such quality in recent times? Those boys did us proud and the fact that IBB and other Presidents could not honour those promises until 31 years later is a testament to how we treat our heroes.

Dude, did I disagree with you or lord Buhari?

And don't bother telling me the story because I was very much around then

I simply said the expectees of 5k should wait

How is that a federal felony?
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by kings09(m): 2:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
BT he allocates a huge expense in d 2016 budget 2 d presidency. I won't lie to u, d goodwill buhari enjoys is fast eroding wit dis 2016 budget. So let him checkmate d kind of examples he z trying 2 set as far prudence is concerned.
Keneking:
Amazing action

"Buhari however caused a stir when he first mistakenly announced rewards of N200m each for the players". shocked
Even the athletes and players would know that Sai Buhari would not make such huge expense in January. grin
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by femib26(m): 2:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
politricks:
Sometimes i wonder if buhari is a Nigerian because of his character of integrity, sincerity and uprightness. God why didn't you give buhari to us sooner than this and instead cursed us with a clueless person. Anyway, God 'nose' best.

God did. Bad people chased him away.
I know some people will yab me after this comment. shocked
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by rugged7(m): 2:09pm On Jan 21, 2016
2 million to 200miliion?? shocked

That Buhari man has elderly senile dementia undecided
Re: Buhari Gives N2m Each To Under-16 Football Team, Fulfills 31-Year-Old Promise by lilreese: 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2016
What will 2 million solve ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayern Munich Stars And Wives Attend Glamorous Christmas Party (Photos) / Thierry Henry Confirmed As New AS Monaco Coach (Photos) / Terem Moffi: Nigerian Striker Mocks Mbappe After Defeating PSG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.