Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,179 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? (2032 Views)

Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? / Why Is PHP Not Considered As A Best Backend For Web Development Again / Is Php Dying? Give Your Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by mathephysicist: 11:19pm On Dec 18, 2019
Is PHP a must in Nigeria Tech Industry?

1 Like

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by MountainView: 5:19am On Dec 19, 2019
I don't know if it's your title that's confusing me or the content of your post.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 19, 2019
To be a full stack programmer you should have all the necessary tools(programming languages) at hand.
PHP controls about 70% of the web. The most popular CMS (WordPress) has PHP at its core base. You must develope WordPress plugins in PHP before you can integrate.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by stanliwise(m): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2019
mathephysicist:
can you do without it?
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by mathephysicist: 3:40pm On Dec 19, 2019
stanliwise:
can you do without it?

I have a chance of learning it but didn't like coz of its syntax and no clear Convention. I opted to learn Python/django and Nodejs stack. Now am stucked at getting Job as most openings want PHP this, PHP that.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by stanliwise(m): 4:09pm On Dec 19, 2019
mathephysicist:

I have a chance of learning it but didn't like coz of its syntax and no clear Convention. I opted to learn Python/django and Nodejs stack. Now am stucked at getting Job as most openings want PHP this, PHP that.
Thats the reality most Nodejs dev don't wanna accept. PHP is the language of about 80% website on the internet. it is a pain in the neck and old habit die hard. No matter what web language you learn. if your intentions is to work as a freelancer especially on the web, learning PHP isn't an option, it is a must.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by Csami(m): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2019
mathephysicist:

For web development, PHP is like basic. After that you can now go for others.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by devdev: 5:00pm On Dec 19, 2019
mathephysicist:
NO.... Infact it is not needed in todays web app development. NODEJS developers are paid more than PHP devs. Most startup now use NODEJS to create web apps. There are many advantages of Nodejs over PHP. I write both Nodejs and PHP and to be frank, nodejs is way more beneficial to PHP. In speed, code architecture, modern technology, security, web sockets and more. If you can, stay away from PHP and learn nodejs instead plz do.

3 Likes

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by mathephysicist: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2019
devdev:

NO.... Infact it is not needed in todays web app development. NODEJS developers are paid more than PHP devs. Most startup now use NODEJS to create web apps. There are many advantages of Nodejs over PHP. I write both Nodejs and PHP and to be frank, nodejs is way more beneficial to PHP. In speed, code architecture, modern technology, security, web sockets and more. If you can, stay away from PHP and learn nodejs instead plz do.

Good thoughts here. My Node.Js knowledge include ExpressJS for backend, VueJs for front-end, wanna give Adonijs a try... But your thoughts is still needed bro.. As I am desperately in need of a Job.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by devdev: 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2019
mathephysicist:

Good thoughts here. My Node.Js knowledge include ExpressJS for backend, VueJs for front-end, wanna give Adonijs a try... But your thoughts is still needed bro.. As I am desperately in need of a Job.
To easily get a job, most recruitters are after you recent projects. Here is the best way to handle such. create a simple project. Commit it to your git repo. you can have more than one projects there. Include your repo links in your CV. this should boost your chances of getting a job

1 Like

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by peterincredible: 11:43pm On Dec 19, 2019
devdev:

To easily get a job, most recruitters are after you recent projects. Here is the best way to handle such. create a simple project. Commit it to your git repo. you can have more than one projects there. Include your repo links in your CV. this should boost your chances of getting a job
currently working on my third project with nodejs and reactjs lyk how many project should i do to be able to get a job quickly
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by aytech360(m): 12:00am On Dec 20, 2019
The reality is PHP will be out in 5 years time as predicted. Tech world is revolving, don't be decieved that you need PHP to get that dream job cos WordPress is using it . It is just an old technology adapt new one if you want to remain relevant.
Node(Express) is the future my 2 cents !!!!!
Speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by 0luwatope(m): 1:03am On Dec 20, 2019
Bro... I work at one tech company in Lagos, the CTO of that company has massive fast knowledge in almost all aspect that has to do with technology.... Android ios web php react, vue, everything

You may think i'm joking, i didn't believe until I met him too

See brother, its not necessary you know php, people are looking for php devs because its a basic language and its open source, if its vue you know, tell them you can get it done via vue, your first job will be the hardest, once you get that done.... Express mode straight

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by mathephysicist: 9:47am On Dec 20, 2019
aytech360:
The reality is PHP will be out in 5 years time as predicted. Tech world is revolving, don't be decieved that you need PHP to get that dream job cos WordPress is using it . It is just an old technology adapt new one if you want to remain relevant.

Thanks for this bro. I have a question though, apart from ExpressJS, is there any other Industry adopted Back-end framework for nodejs that you know and have used?
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by talk2hb1(m): 9:06am On Dec 21, 2019
mathephysicist:
Lemme Put it This Way,If You Are Targeting Nigeria Market Go For: PHP, Java, and .NET,But If Your Aim is Foreign Market: JavaScript, Python, Java, React, Rust.
One interesting trends happening now is that all this foreign companies have recruiting agents here in our Nigeria and they pay in dollars far better than our local employers and cost effective for them too but the conditions are you must understand the technology like the back of your hand so you need to braceup undecided
Just wondering what the local market will look like in years to come because local employers might not be able to compete or match foreign salary and working conditions.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:03pm On Dec 21, 2019
aytech360:
PHP is not going anywhere, don’t be deceived. Just a few weeks back, did you see the positive reviews of the newly released PHP 7.4? I have been hearing PHP is going for the past 5 years

1 Like

Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by talk2hb1(m): 1:06pm On Dec 21, 2019
ClintonNzedimma:

PHP is not going anywhere, don’t be deceived. Just a few weeks back, did you see the positive reviews of the newly released PHP 7.4? I have been hearing PHP is going for the past 5 years
Don't mind them, although their is a decline in php usage.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by talk2hb1(m): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2019
peterincredible:
currently working on my third project with nodejs and reactjs lyk how many project should i do to be able to get a job quickly
Maybe 10 that will give you enough confidence!
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by peterincredible: 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2019
talk2hb1:

Maybe 10 that will give you enough confidence!
hmm that will take me to lyk july 2020 to have dat on my poryfolio
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by talk2hb1(m): 6:52pm On Dec 21, 2019
peterincredible:
hmm that will take me to lyk july 2020 to have dat on my poryfolio
Start with small projects, then move to complex projects.
Projects you can deploy in a week
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by peterincredible: 8:16pm On Dec 21, 2019
talk2hb1:

Start with small projects, then move to complex projects.
Projects you can deploy in a week
and that is my problem all the todo app and calculator is not my thing i feel if i do all those small one will make me look lyk a beginner so i look towards a little challenging problem lyk an intermediate challenge pl tell me lyk when u mean d one i can complete in a week pls give me some example i don tire for todo every youtube video i watch about portfolio i always here todo just anyone you have done that is a bit complex you have worked on so i can start by january when i am through with the one i am working on currently
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by Corussa: 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2019
peterincredible:

and that is my problem all the todo app and calculator is not my thing i feel if i do all those small one will make me look lyk a beginner so i look towards a little challenging problem lyk an intermediate challenge pl tell me lyk when u mean d one i can complete in a week pls give me some example i don tire for todo every youtube video i watch about portfolio i always here todo just anyone you have done that is a bit complex you have worked on so i can start by january when i am through with the one i am working on currently

Have you tried developing an e-commerce, a chatbot, working with weather APIs, crypoto-currency APIs..
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by devdev: 9:54pm On Dec 21, 2019
peterincredible:

If you develop huge apps, it definitely will not end on a github repo. You'll make it a solution to the public and possibly monetize it. However, if you're planning to develop for the sake of getting a job then simple apps and todos will do just right.
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by peterincredible: 2:18am On Dec 22, 2019
Corussa:

Have you tried developing an e-commerce, a chatbot, working with weather APIs, crypoto-currency APIs..
guess what my first project was an ecommerce but i stoped at the payment gateway bcause no moni to pay for subscription and not even having any well planned business in mind i think i will just get some other small things to build
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by Corussa: 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2019
peterincredible:
guess what my first project was an ecommerce but i stoped at the payment gateway bcause no moni to pay for subscription and not even having any well planned business in mind i think i will just get some other small things to build

You didn't run the payment gateway on test mode for Dev?
Re: Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? by peterincredible: 2:18pm On Dec 22, 2019
Corussa:

You didn't run the payment gateway on test mode for Dev?
nope i didnt and again the guy dat brought the idea of d project just forgot about it but i continued when i got to that stage i felt satisfied with it

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

This Thread Is For Blockchain Developers / Help Your Girl O Programmers In The House! / A Quick Alternative To Mysql Fulltext Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.