Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate (47314 Views)

5 Ways You Can Avoid Carryovers As A Fresh Student / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dapromzy333:
Carry overs in the university system is normal; it basically means a student has an unfinished business. A student can only carry over a course when he or she scores 39 downward in both C.A and exam (over 100).

Carry overs are not in all cases a real reflection of how intelligent or not intelligent a student is, rather it's a reflection of how unserious, unsmart (if that word exist), unchecked and uninterested a student is.

I have seen highly intelligent students have numerous carry overs and relatively dull students pass through without carry overs. Such is life, that's why a coin is two sided. Carry over can also be a result of unfortunate and unlucky incidents, such as missing scripts, lecturer's attitude towards marking your script, or even a student's handwriting (that's right).

I have once been a victim of an unlucky situation. I was not around Kogi State when an assignment worth 20 marks was been submitted, when I heard about it I quickly rushed back to school from Lagos to get mine submitted. Unluckily for me, the lecturer in charge of the course is very strict and sent me out of his office. I thought to myself," I still have 80 marks to fight for so why panic".

This lecturer is the kind that barely comes to class, but he gave us a material to read ahead of his exam. For most part of Monday evenings we'll wait in class expecting him to come to class but he never does. On the day I decided I wasn't going to wait in class for him, he showed up in class and seeing how scanty the class was he decided to conduct test with the little number of students in class.

The test was for 20 marks and I missed it, making it 40 marks missed already which ruled me out of contention to score an A. Words can't describe how devastated I was during this period, my worst fear of carrying over a course is lurking around me. I tried bottling my sadness and fear until the lecturer announced that marks will deducted for every undotted Is and uncrossed Ts in his exam, he was basically asking for a perfectly written error free exam which looked impossible under the sort of pressure we were in.

I prayed to God about the situation, focused a little bit more on that course than the others, did a whole lot of library work and research and when the exam came around I completely smashed it, narrowly escaping a carryover (which many of my mates had) that would have completely changed the dynamics of my academics.

Am still grateful to God till today, who knows what it might have been....

Reasons why you must completely avoid carry overs:

-It brings you down;
A) Academically: having carry-over means you have F (0) in that course. It’s bad, it’s really bad. Having an E(2) or a D(4) is far better than having a carryover. It means you just scored 0 after studying a course for a semester and it will definitely reflect on your result.

B) Psychologically: having a carryover affects the psyche of a student. It’s that evil. You don't feel whole again, you won't feel yourself among your peers anymore; you'll feel devastated, less intelligent, less smart and so on. Carry overs inflict serious psychological damage on the bearer. It brings your thinking and psyche to the lowest minimum.

C) Physically: keeping tabs with your main courses is physically tasking enough, add carry overs to that and you'll barely sleep at night. You have to meet up with the time table of your main courses, then meet up with the schedule of your carry over courses, that's so physically demanding, it’s almost like punishment.

-It's hard to recover: even though its technically possible to recover from the evils of carry overs and get your academics back on track, it's extremely difficult and take so much determination and hard work.

-The odds aren't favourable: the odds of you graduating with a great result or a good result shifts every time you carry over a course. Imagine doing a carry-over course in place of an easy to pass elective course...

- It leads to self-esteem issues: when you are writing a carryover paper with guys that are below you, it’s a hard hit on your esteem and confidence level. You certainly won't be the most confident person on campus, in fact you'll be the least confident, if you're not then its either you're shameless, delusional, dull or completely out of touch.

- It’s a bad experience all together: the demanding schedule, the insult by lecturers, the embarrassment of writing a carry-over exam with your "juniors"...it’s a bad experience all together.

How To Avoid A Carry Over:

-Never joke with your Continuous Assessment C.A

-Always be around class and get adequately informed

-Serious studying: studying isn't every one's bread and butter, not everyone enjoys reading and reading, it’s not sweet at all, but you got to do it. That's the way. Use the library to research helpful information as much as you can.

-Do your calculations: your GPA and stuffs

-Always add to what you know

-Always do the conventional first: do what's required of you in test or an exam first, and then spice it up with the result of your research to the lecturers delight.

-Be strong physically and psychologically: in KSU only the strong will survive

-Use your time and work with schedule

-And finally and most importantly...Know your God...

http://solutionclass.com/forum2_theme_110811609.xhtml?tema=1216

lalasticlala

my uni is 44 downwards
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by SHAIBULIAR: 10:21pm On Jan 21, 2016
i always try to avoid carry over in all my courses but it is as if carry overs are in love with me,i dont know why,right now i have 8 carry overs befriending me
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by lovely17(m): 10:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Even scoring D/E. still hurts like hell talk less of an F haba
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by ferdyferd: 10:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dapromzy333:
Carry overs in the university system is normal; it basically means a student has an unfinished business. A student can only carry over a course when he or she scores 39 downward in both C.A and exam (over 100).

Carry overs are not in all cases a real reflection of how intelligent or not intelligent a student is, rather it's a reflection of how unserious, unsmart (if that word exist), unchecked and uninterested a student is.

I have seen highly intelligent students have numerous carry overs and relatively dull students pass through without carry overs. Such is life, that's why a coin is two sided. Carry over can also be a result of unfortunate and unlucky incidents, such as missing scripts, lecturer's attitude towards marking your script, or even a student's handwriting (that's right).

I have once been a victim of an unlucky situation. I was not around Kogi State when an assignment worth 20 marks was been submitted, when I heard about it I quickly rushed back to school from Lagos to get mine submitted. Unluckily for me, the lecturer in charge of the course is very strict and sent me out of his office. I thought to myself," I still have 80 marks to fight for so why panic".

This lecturer is the kind that barely comes to class, but he gave us a material to read ahead of his exam. For most part of Monday evenings we'll wait in class expecting him to come to class but he never does. On the day I decided I wasn't going to wait in class for him, he showed up in class and seeing how scanty the class was he decided to conduct test with the little number of students in class.

The test was for 20 marks and I missed it, making it 40 marks missed already which ruled me out of contention to score an A. Words can't describe how devastated I was during this period, my worst fear of carrying over a course is lurking around me. I tried bottling my sadness and fear until the lecturer announced that marks will deducted for every undotted Is and uncrossed Ts in his exam, he was basically asking for a perfectly written error free exam which looked impossible under the sort of pressure we were in.

I prayed to God about the situation, focused a little bit more on that course than the others, did a whole lot of library work and research and when the exam came around I completely smashed it, narrowly escaping a carryover (which many of my mates had) that would have completely changed the dynamics of my academics.

-It brings you down;
A) Academically: having carry-over means you have F (0) in that course. It’s bad, it’s really bad. Having an E(2) or a D(4) is far better than having a carryover. It means you just scored 0 after studying a course for a semester and it will definitely reflect on your result.

B) Psychologically: having a carryover affects the psyche of a student. It’s that evil. You don't feel whole again, you won't feel yourself among your peers anymore; you'll feel devastated, less intelligent, less smart and so on. Carry overs inflict serious psychological damage on the bearer. It brings your thinking and psyche to the lowest minimum.

C) Physically: keeping tabs with your main courses is physically tasking enough, add carry overs to that and you'll barely sleep at night. You have to meet up with the time table of your main courses, then meet up with the schedule of your carry over courses, that's so physically demanding, it’s almost like punishment.

-It's hard to recover: even though its technically possible to recover from the evils of carry overs and get your academics back on track, it's extremely difficult and take so much determination and hard work.

-The odds aren't favourable: the odds of you graduating with a great result or a good result shifts every time you carry over a course. Imagine doing a carry-over course in place of an easy to pass elective course...

- It leads to self-esteem issues: when you are writing a carryover paper with guys that are below you, it’s a hard hit on your esteem and confidence level. You certainly won't be the most confident person on campus, in fact you'll be the least confident, if you're not then its either you're shameless, delusional, dull or completely out of touch.

- It’s a bad experience all together: the demanding schedule, the insult by lecturers, the embarrassment of writing a carry-over exam with your "juniors"...it’s a bad experience all together.

-Serious studying: studying isn't every one's bread and butter, not everyone enjoys reading and reading, it’s not sweet at all, but you got to do it. That's the way. Use the library to research helpful information as much as you can.

-Always do the conventional first: do what's required of you in test or an exam first, and then spice it up with the result of your research to the lecturers delight.

lalasticlala

Having an E is far better than a F? Bros which school u finish or which school u dy? Smh.

There's nothing wrong with having CO except u r in faculty like engineering / Medicine when A single Carry Over might lead to an extra year because of excessive course load. Other than that it's a normal thing and no big deal.

First class do have Carry Over. Seems like you went/ or u in a private school
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by ewizard1: 10:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
theoptimist298:

God bless u. I keep telling people all the time. That's basically how I made my 2.1, by cramming. I feel only lazy students don't cram.

And some lecturers would tell you "Dont cram!!! know it"

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by safarigirl(f): 11:11pm On Jan 21, 2016
einsteino:

It is the truth. I discovered it when I had an F, and calculated an A if I rewrite it vs if I had an E instead of the carryover.. I was baffled, the difference is much if your CGPA is high.. What I saw made me demand for remarking and I was lucky that when it was remarked, the carryover turned out to be an error from the lecturer. Life in public uni in nigeria is a tae of you and your God
dem dey even remark for your school. Here, only Law students get that luxury in law courses. Omo, if you get carry over for GST, nothing can change your situation, just take it in good faith.

In University of Abuja, even if you get an A when you re-sit, it will be calculated as a D...it doesn't get higher than a D
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Akerry(m): 11:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dapromzy333.......nice write up...... crossing the ts and dotting is in ur write up reminds me of Mr Abbah..... are you from KSU? Biochem dept?
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tosyne2much(m): 11:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
I can relate with the OP and I can assure you that he's right on track. I have once had a carry-over during the first phase of my programme

The lecturer, who was taking us Research Techniques, was a chronic womanizer who got acquainted with the same lady my friend was chyking. We advised my friend to desist from this lady just to avert the calamity that's always associated with a student and his lecturer competing for a lady. Instead, my friend turned deaf ears and would always flaunt with this babe in the presence of the said lecturer (I mean who does that?)

It was exam time and unfortunately, he happened to be our invigilator. Barely ten minutes into the exam hall, he came to where we were all seated, signalled to one of the kings guards and ordered him to send us out of the exam all. (Yoruba adage says "when a criminal is being punished, a saint sometimes has a share of the punishment)cheesy. We pleaded and cried our eyes out but he never allowed us in.

When we were to retake the course, I personally was so embarrassed and ashamed sitting with my junior colleges as a carry-over student. They all had this surprised look on their faces. The look on their faces could be interpreted as, "so a warrior can also fall?" I couldn't even ask any of them any question despite the fact that I never really studied hard for the exam. I tried to be in stealth mode and quietly walked out of the hall afterwards

However, apart from the fact that carry-over causes emotional depression, low self esteem, psychological imbalance and mental depression; carry over certainly does not really add to your GP. I just laugh each time I hear people saying "if you get an "A" in a carry-over course, it will elevate or boost your GP

Carry-over has little or nothing to add to you GP, because the unit of that course you carried will be added to your total units and it will be used to divide all, hence, making it have little or no impact in your GP

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Codyt(m): 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
nickxtra:
Good. I still can't fathom why I had a carry over in a course I thought was not too difficult for me- CSC200. Although, I thank God that I got B in it when I resat for it. N.B. A friend later told me that scoring B at a resit is far better than scoring D or E in the main exam. Pls how true is this assertion?
That's very true. Because your GP will increase more than those who scored D. Since u had B.
Highly stressing. My eye don see shege! lipsrsealed
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tosyne2much(m): 11:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
Codyt:

That's very true. Because your GP will increase more than those who scored D. Since u had B.
Highly stressing. My eye don see shege! lipsrsealed
I don't really agree with you bro. Only if you know how to calculate GP, you would know that carry-over does not really increase one's GP

At the end of the day, you will even notice that even if you score "B", your GP will only add two points more that those who had D

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nice one.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Rudyani33(m): 12:48am On Jan 22, 2016
Study hard to overcome carryover
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by sampsondeen(m): 12:50am On Jan 22, 2016
kfrosh:
Story for the gods angry
This guy go be boss for carry over o
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by sampsondeen(m): 12:59am On Jan 22, 2016
nickxtra:
Good. I still can't fathom why I had a carry over in a course I thought was not too difficult for me- CSC200. Although, I thank God that I got B in it when I resat for it. N.B. A friend later told me that scoring B at a resit is far better than scoring D or E in the main exam. Pls how true is this assertion?
That is not true o

The credit unit of the course will be multiplied by two before dividing it by ur grade...So at d end..unless you have an A before your actual grade for that course can be on average,C
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by sampsondeen(m): 1:10am On Jan 22, 2016
In my third year in school now...And the only carry over I ever got so far was promised by the lecturer during the semester...

He said I made his class lively as I used debate with him in class..so he said he would like to see me next year again for the same course,or he would miss me. He kept on saying it...never knew he meant it until I saw my result last week.

The course is not very difficult, I did well in his Tests..I smashed the exam...And what I get is a carryover for knowing the course too much.

So not having carryover is just by God's Grace.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tpiar: 1:59am On Jan 22, 2016
html14java:
i see

you go fear modern age.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Ndipe(m): 3:35am On Jan 22, 2016
Never had a carryover back at Uniuyo. In my year 2, I narrowly missed carrying over a philosophy class to my year 3, just by a fraction. A great relief indeed and the lecturer for that course was feared on campus.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Auxigen(m): 3:46am On Jan 22, 2016
Lasveg:
No more 'E' in UNN. score below 45 and its carry over o'clock... If u graduate frm UNN without a single carry over, u be baba be dat.
Same here in UNIUYO. The thing is just grace. Last semester,after writing my CVE221 and ELE221 Exams I couldn't sleep. Why? I was afraid I would have a carry over. Results came out and I had an A in ELE.and a C in CVE. Now guess what I had in Engine maths.. an exam I was boasting dat I would not have anything less dan a B.? I went to d board and saw a BLOCK F. Asin ehh e be like dey pour cold water for my body. I no fit cry, I no fit laugh I just stared at the result. and d worst thing about this carryover shit dat scares me is having an EXTRA YEAR ..Now I dont know what to do .wether to get a new JAMB form..cos dis aint my life
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by yetunsbay(m): 4:28am On Jan 22, 2016
kfrosh:
Story for the gods angry
end time comment
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by yetunsbay(m): 5:06am On Jan 22, 2016
Lasveg:
No more 'E' in UNN. score below 45 and its carry over o'clock... If u graduate frm UNN without a single carry over, u be baba be dat.
nt an xcuse
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Menzy86(m): 6:53am On Jan 22, 2016
There are some schools and departments within those schools that having only one carryover for example actually means you are intelligent. Yea quote me anywhere and if you are a graduate of ABU zaria, having only one carryover in departments like, pharmacy, vet medicine, economics, chemistry and a few others is NOTHING to be ashamed of mostly around the time I graduated (2008). Trust me op, if it was my sch back then u already lost 40 marks CA, your second name in that course is CARRYOVER regardless of how brilliant you are or how serious. By and large though, most of your points are very valid in most cases regarding how to avoid carryovers. Thanks.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by lordsd(m): 7:37am On Jan 22, 2016
Dapromzy333:

-It brings you down;

lalasticlala
hmmmm KSU get wahala sha we go survive
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by zerojoy: 8:10am On Jan 22, 2016
Now that there is no E, carryover is no more a strange thing
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tosyne2much(m): 8:25am On Jan 22, 2016
sampsondeen:

That is not true o

The credit unit of the course will be multiplied by two before dividing it by ur grade...So at d end..unless you have an A before your actual grade for that course can be on average,C
God bless you bro
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by nickxtra(m): 9:55am On Jan 22, 2016
Ekehwinz:

It is if your school is uniben
No, Uniabuja
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Fraih(f): 12:15pm On Jan 22, 2016
If you are a FUTA aspirant, get prepared to read and read till you will become Read yourself cos FUTA dont have anything like 40E again, the least Grade you are permitted to have is 45D. 44 sef na carry over.
My testimony : Never had C.O throughout my 5years in that school smiley na baba God o
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Temitoppe(m): 12:36pm On Jan 22, 2016
mimicue:
100-400 level has been a guy back to back ., iyalaya anybody success ti take over grin

what's your course of study?
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Codyt(m): 12:50pm On Jan 22, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't really agree with you bro. Only if you know how to calculate GP, you would know that carry-over does not really increase one's GP

At the end of the day, you will even notice that even if you score "B", your GP will only add two points more that those who had D
Didn't realize... So I've got it all wrong.
But wait.what about those level courses u drop to enable u take carry overs. Will gp increase when u offer them?
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tosyne2much(m): 2:37pm On Jan 22, 2016
Fraih:
If you are a FUTA aspirant, get prepared to read and read till you will become Read yourself cos FUTA dont have anything like 40E again, the least Grade you are permitted to have is 45D. 44 sef na carry over.
My testimony : Never had C.O throughout my 5years in that school smiley na baba God o
I'm happy 4u oooo cheesy
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Fraih(f): 2:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
tosyne2much:
I'm happy 4u oooo cheesy
Thank you oo My brother, E no easy ooo cheesy
When 40E still counts, I had a lotta oriyomi grades sha, dem 40E. But now, no one prays for 40E again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNIPORT Ladies Celebrate Their Graduation Wearing Customized Tops / ASUU Strike: ASUU Seeks Public Opinion On Twitter / Murjanatu Zubairu: Missing University Of Abuja Student Found Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.