Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? (908 Views)

Why Do Some Men Like To Tempt Married Women? Why??? / Why Do Kids Obey Their Father More Than Mothers? / Why Do Kids Hate Their Step Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2009
What kind of stories can interest kids between the ages of 6 and 14. Please drop your ideas here. thank you.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Fhemmmy: 6:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
Depends on the kids.
Some wanna read barbie and others wanna read encyclopedia
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by ifyalways(f): 6:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
Pacesetters and macmillian series.
Generally,intelligent kids pick up and read any and everything they come across.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ chaircover: do u live in Nigeria? and do u think children between that age should be encouraged to read newspapers, especially that meant for kids?
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 7:05pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ chaircover.
thanks a lot. now do u think that publishing a newspaper wit kiddies content will b appreciated by kids and parents. this publication is expected to bring a mix of politics, entertainment, kiddies articles and being educative, informative, excluding d sexy and gossiping issues.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by tpiah: 7:05pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ topic

6 - 14 are separate age groups and have different interests. You're not supposed to lump them together like that.

6 year olds, for example, may prefer books with vivid illustrations and fewer words. Also, fairy tales, fantastic characters, etc.

A 14 year old will read themes that have to do with peers, the opposite sex, school, and so on.

The guidelines can seem rather vague.

1 Like

Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2009
[tt][/tt]@ tpiah. thanks. i appreciate. yes i know they'r separate age groups, but d publication in view shall cover interests within that age group. the issue is, is it a good idea to come up wit such publication.

6-8 will find things interesting in it, and 9-14 shall also get theirs as well. more contributions pls
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by sistawoman: 8:00pm On Jun 24, 2009
emmydee:

@ chaircover.
thanks a lot. now do u think that publishing a newspaper wit kiddies content will b appreciated by kids and parents. this publication is expected to bring a mix of politics, entertainment, kiddies articles and being educative, informative, excluding d sexy and gossiping issues.

We have something like that here in the states it is called Highlights and they have kiddy highlights as well for children under 7.

It is sent to the kids monthly and they read the articles and do the puzzles.
http://www.highlightskids.com/

The washington post (newspaper) also has a kids post for kids.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/kidspost/orbit/kidspost.html
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 8:03pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Chaircover.
thats very thoughtful of u. yes we can work that out. so what ur saying is that u support such publication as a necessary tool to a child's education.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by mamagee3(f): 12:12am On Jun 25, 2009
Novels
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by Anikeji: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2009
I'd lump the 9-12 yr olds in the same range. I was really into the Enid Blyton series.

For six year olds, my mom was great at assigning our reading- so mostly nature stuff, animals, dinosaurs etc, and geography - learning about cultures : aborigines etc

As a young teenager - I got really into the fantasy - goosebumps which have currently been replaced by the Harry Potter franchise.

I'd try to monitor their reading though- I find the whole fantasy thing a little intense, these days . I read only one of the HP books and I was blown away by how dark and mystical it all became as I progressed and this was when I was a bit older than the general demographic.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 3:16pm On Jun 27, 2009
would it b nice to come up wit a publication that writes about human interest news but in a subtle manner as well as kiddies interest?
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by tpiah: 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2009
you can also feature some child celebrities (if Nigeria has any) in the target age ranges.

birthday, christmas, easter parties, etc if they have interesting cakes, decorations, entertainment and quality graphics.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2009
@tpiah:
i sincerely duff my cap for you people for your invaluable contributions.

tpiah, thats a very good one. more pls.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by tpiah: 5:18pm On Jun 27, 2009
emmydee:

@tpiah:
i sincerely duff my cap for you people for your invaluable contributions.

tpiah, thats a very good one. more pls.

no problem.

I guess foreign kid celebrities might do just as well.

Short stories and Naija folklore?
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by biola44: 3:08pm On Jun 29, 2009
ladybird storybooks
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 11:25am On Jun 30, 2009
Thank u guys. i appreciate all ur contributions. i also need more ideas on this topic ,pls. thanks so much.
Re: What Do Kids ( 6 - 14) Like To Read? by emmydee(m): 11:56am On Jul 02, 2009
Please we need more contributions on this topic. Especially from those who live in Nigeria. thank you

(1) (Reply)

how do lovers joggle lagos traffic with dia love life / What Will You Think Is Going On If...? / 5 Years No Issues, Now Her Sister Is Pregnant 4 Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.