Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria (12131 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool debate third edition elimination stage: Winner 6: LASU / Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 8:33pm On Jan 24, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Fynestboi please permit me to direct this question to Abuklaw as an analytical assessment.

The financial crisis of today has brought about renewed interest in PPP in both developed and developing countries. Facing constraints on public resources and fiscal space, while recognizing the importance of investment in infrastructure to help their economies grow, governments are increasingly turning to the private sector as an alternative additional source of funding to meet the funding gap. While recent attention has been focused on fiscal risk, governments look to the private sector for other reasons:

1) Exploring PPPs as a way of introducing private sector technology and innovation in providing better public services through improved operational efficiency

2)Incentivizing the private sector to deliver projects on time and within budget
Imposing budgetary certainty by setting present and the future costs of infrastructre projects over time

3)Utilizing PPPs as a way of developing local private sector capabilities through joint ventures with large international firms, as well as sub-contracting opportunities for local firms in areas such as civil works, electrical works, facilities management, security services, cleaning services, maintenance services

4)Using PPPs as a way of gradually exposing state owned enterprises and government to increasing levels of private sector participation (especially foreign) and structuring PPPs in a way so as to ensure transfer of skills leading to national champions that can run their own operations professionally and eventually export their competencies by bidding for projects/ joint ventures

5)Creating diversification in the economy by making the country more competitive in terms of its facilitating infrastructure base as well as giving a boost to its business and industry associated with infrastructure development (such as construction, equipment, support services)

6)Supplementing limited public sector capacities to meet the growing demand for infrastructure development

7)Extracting long-term value-for-money through appropriate risk transfer to the private sector over the life of the project – from design/ construction to operations/ maintenance.

Please Abuklaw since you say PPP is dead on arrival can these not be married into Present day Nigeria even as corruption is being given a death grip?
Note that I said at the end of my essay that until the weaknesses discussed in the essay are taken care of, PPPs will never see the light of the day.

That means the government that is tackling corruption head on should exercise patience before adopting PPPs until the weaknesses are eliminated or reduced to the bearest minimum.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Obinoscopy(m): 8:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

On a more speculative note, yes private institution generate funds, which is neither beneficial to the economy, the masses or the government. But for the sole growth of the private institution.

So as far as generating revenue that could be useful in increasing a nation's wealth is concerned, ppp do not generate revenue.
So are you saying that Remita isn't increasing the nation's wealth? The FG intends using the funds generated from Remita to fund part of it's 2016 budget, a wong move?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 8:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obinoscopy:
So are you saying that Remita isn't increasing the nation's wealth? The FG intends using the funds generated from Remita to fund part of it's 2016 budget, a wong move?
Who pays Remita? Both public and private institutions pay Remita.

But the private institutions pay higher, and because they have to pay higher, they continuosly charge higher.

Who bears the real burden? Consumers. You and I
Is that your definition of "Generating revenue?"
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 8:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
Abuklaw:

which other cause if the infastructure is being taken care of? recurrent expenditure right?

The political implication of failed PPP goes beyond monetary term. The image of a country would have been already punctured and denizens won't even have an iota of believe in subsequent agreement.

who is subsidising lekki toll free? unless you want avoid this question, you would be aware of media outrage and criticism targeted at lagos sate government due to high fee.

Government is not entirely excused from building infrastructures. They are just being aided by private firms. I mentioned that Nigeria's government is not rich enough to create all the infrastructures Nigeria Needs.

A failled PPP is borne by private firms and not the government please. So the question of image doesn't apply here. The private firms bear all the risk.

As for lekki toll fee. Not every government decision goes down well with the populace and I'll assume it's one of such.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Obinoscopy(m): 8:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

Such monopolistic partnerships are not healthy if it causes unreasonable strain on them. It all lies with government. If the partnership causes a strain on citizens (which it is meant to aid) then the government has the right to review terms of contract and bring up a worthy competitor to balance it up. The government should seek the interest of its citizens and thus will not allow any partnership to hamper its people unless of course the government is crazy. Pardon my language.
Ok, your response has been noted. Weldone
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 8:48pm On Jan 24, 2016
adeaks:
Abuklaw

Are you saying that the masses should condone the ignorance of the government and reject an initiative which by your own admission has been successful internationally?
The answer here is plain. Even though the masses are aware of the benefits of PPPs, there is nothing we can do to adopt it unless government wants to. I haven't seen a nation where her denizens implement a policy without government backing. Until the government is competent in the area of technical knowledge of PPPs, their is nothing Nigerians can do about it.

How about the taxpayers demanding that our government should educate themselves by "carefully studying the intricacies involved in such initiative" (to use your own words)
Precedence plays an important role in decision making. Nigerians have seen PPPs failed before in our dear country. Nigerians are realistic, they will want to see the element of PPPs efficiency before clamouring for it.

Should we continue to deprive ourselves of good things because the government that we voted in is not ready to learn the rules and regulations, ethics and practices applicable in PPP?
As I said above, there is nothing we can do to implement PPP if our government isn't morally, technically and diligently ready to practice the real PPPs.

What is your response to this?
I have in my limited way answered your question. I believe you are convinced now that we just "tool in the hand of the maker." We cannot help situation unless our government is ready to take lead position.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 8:49pm On Jan 24, 2016
I guess we are on Frontpage now, audience compile your questions, to be unleash in the next 15mins...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Obinoscopy(m): 8:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Who pays Remita? Both public and private institutions pay Remita.

But the private institutions pay higher, and because they have to pay higher, they continuosly charge higher.

Who bears the real burden? Consumers. You and I
Is that your definition of "Generating revenue?"
Thanks Catalyst4real for responding to my questions. Although you answered some of my questions with a question (which is not okay), I'd still say you did good. Weldone.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 8:55pm On Jan 24, 2016
Participants ensure you leave no questions unattended to as this will reflect on your score.

Penplayer
Abuklaw
Catalyst4real
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 8:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

A failled PPP is borne by private firms and not the government please. So the question of image doesn't apply here. The private firms bear all the risk.
I wonder if you were not in Nigeria when the populace criticized GEJ administration for the failed Lagos/Ibadan expressway's concession agreement. Please get your fact right. Failed PPP has an huge political implication on the government of a country. It is actually one of the reasons why countries do bidding, tendering and negotiation before selecting a concessioner.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 8:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

Government is not entirely excused from building infrastructures. They are just being aided by private firms. I mentioned that Nigeria's government is not rich enough to create all the infrastructures Nigeria Needs.

As for lekki toll fee. Not every government decision goes down well with the populace and I'll assume it's one of such.
I disagree with you sir
In the private-public partnership, the government finances the contracts.

How then can you say the government is not rich enough to finance infractures in Nigeria themselves? When in the real sense. The financial workload lies on the government
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2016
Amiable judges I believe we are good to go?

Adeaks, Naijadeyhia, Obinoscopy.

If Yes, kindly forward the result to Nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com.

Then I think audience can now ask the participants questions....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 9:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
Abuklaw:
I wonder if you were not in Nigeria when the populace criticized GEJ administration for the failed Lagos/Ibadan expressway's concession agreement. Please get your fact right. Failed PPP has an huge political implication on the government of a country. It is actually one of the reasons why countries do bidding, tendering and negotiation before selecting a concessioner.

Oh yes. If a partner fails in its term of agreement, the image of the government in that sense will be at stake since the government takes the credit for the completion of the project. In that sense I'll admit because the future is uncertain and chances are that a partner will fail in its part.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
Abuklaw:

Precedence plays an important role in decision making. Nigerians have seen PPPs failed before in our dear country. Nigerians are realistic, they will want to see the element of PPPs efficiency before clamouring for it.

Nice one.

However, are you not approbating and reprobating at once?In your essay you said Nigerians should say NO to PPP. Now you are saying Nigerians will want to see the efficiency of PPP before clamouring for it.

The pertinent question then is; how can we see the element of PPP's efficiency if we are already saying NO to it like you earlier advocated.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 9:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

I disagree with you sir
In the private-public partnership, the government finances the contracts.

How then can you say the government is not rich enough to finance in fractures in Nigeria themselves? When in the real sense. The financial workload lies on the government

The partnership is meaningless if the project's are financed by the government. Just stop please. Your essay arguments were pointed otherwise.
If the government is rich enough, why is Nigeria in debt and still on the brink of another. Nigeria can not finance every infrastructure that she needs to reach international standards. That's why we borrow to make up and we are suggesting PPP to ensure debts are reduced by having Private firms build infrastructures.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 9:10pm On Jan 24, 2016
At this point I can say I'm outta this contest since my partner couldn't show up for reasons best known to him. Just a bit disappointed.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 9:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one. Participants rebuttal still on alongside judges questioning and now we have in addition.

Audience Questions

30mins left for all these.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
adeaks:

Nice one.

However, are you not approbating and reprobating at once?In your essay you said Nigerians should say NO to PPP. Now you are saying Nigerians will want to see the efficiency of PPP before clamouring for it.

The pertinent question then is; how can we see the element of PPP's efficiency if we are already saying NO to it like you earlier advocated.
Note that my arguement is based on the present situation in our dear country. Nigerians are saying NO now due to the precarious condition we found ourself at the moment but we are already to shift ground when our fears are allayed and doubts cleared. until then, we will continue to protest against its implementation in our present inconducive environment.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

The partnership is meaningless if the project's are financed by the government. Just stop please. Your essay arguments were pointed otherwise.
If the government is rich enough, why is Nigeria in debt and still on the brink of another. Nigeria can not finance every infrastructure that she needs to reach international standards. That's why we borrow to make up and we are suggesting PPP to ensure debts are reduced by having Private firms build infrastructures.
Keep your aggresuon aside and argue reasonably please.
Assuming the PPP is approved in Nigeria, the private corporations are expected to finance themselves right?

So the government won't have to borrow revenue right?
Extremely myopic statement you made up there, either public-private or public-public partnership, one thing remains the same, the revenue still comes from the government.

The basis of this argument is "Efficiency"

If PPP is an efficient way of building infrastructure in Nigeria, that is the argument.

And based on the indelible arguments my partner and I have laid down, you just got served
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 9:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Keep your aggresuon aside and argue reasonably please.
Assuming the PPP is approved in Nigeria, the private corporations are expected to finance themselves right?

So the government won't have to borrow revenue right?
Extremely myopic statement you made up there, either public-private or public-public partnership, one thing remains the same, the revenue still comes from the government.

The basis of this argument is "Efficiency"

If PPP is an efficient way of building infrastructure in Nigeria, that is the argument.

And based on the indelible arguments my partner and I have laid down, you just got served

I'm not being aggressive and I'm sorry if I sound like that. I was telling you that PPP is majorly financed by the private sector. How is the money coming from the government again. Or are private firms funded by the government? I've listed the efficiency in the essay I submitted and unfortunately my partner didnt show up.

As for getting served. This is a debate. I have tried to give explanations and managed to concede when facts are glaring. we're here to rub minds together. I won't stick blindly to my opinion if infallible facts point otherwise. I'm not that kind of debater.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 9:39pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

I'm not being aggressive and I'm sorry if I sound like that. I was telling you that PPP is majorly financed by the private sector. How is the money coming from the government again. Or are private firms funded by the government? I've listed the efficiency in the essay I submitted and unfortunately my partner didnt show up.
Alright, you did sound aggressive though, sorry about your partner.he's probably an Arsenal fan
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 9:42pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Alright, you did sound aggressive though, sorry about your partner.he's probably an Arsenal fan
omo see punchline.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by abiola081(m): 9:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
@penplayer...really feel ur pain bro...wish there is any way I can help you out...am so proud of you...
AMA LADOKITE

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 9:49pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Lol. I dunno.
abiola081:
@penplayer...really feel ur pain bro...wish there is any way I can help you out...am so proud of you...
AMA LADOKITE
Where were you? I could shoot you. Thanks anyway. It's over. This is the elimination stage and losers here get relegated. There's no way My points can beat the duo. Same thing happened in the first stage. My first partner didn't show up

Catalyst4real:

Lol. I dunno.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 9:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Participants can conclude their argument...

Penplayer
Abuklaw
Catalyst4real
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thank you all for your time.

Result loading.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 10:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Due to the unavoidable absent of one of the team for Lautech, it is obvious that ABU ZARIA will be the winner for this stage, however it's pertinent I unveil the score of each participants, for subsequent stages and editions. Hence I will be posting the score per participants.

Congratulations ABU ZARIA..

Thread lock while I post the score.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 10:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Due to the unavoidable absent of one of the team for Lautech, it is obvious that ABU ZARIA will be the winner for this stage, however it's pertinent I unveil the score of each participants, for subsequent stages and editions. Hence I will be posting the score per participants.

Congratulations ABU ZARIA..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by luxanne(f): 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:
At this point I can say I'm outta this contest since my partner couldn't show up for reasons best known to him. Just a bit disappointed.

So sorry you had to go through this again, wished it didn't happen.

But common, cheer up OK, you did great taking on those two by yourself, some folks would have developed cold feet and ran off but you didn't, Lool give yourself some credit will you smiley

And I still have my whip waiting for that team mate of yours, he better don't cross my path on here angry

Lool

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 10:18pm On Jan 24, 2016
Waiting....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
luxanne:

So sorry you had to go through this again, wished it didn't happen.

But common, cheer up OK, you did great taking on those two by yourself, some folks would have developed cold feet and ran off but you didn't, Lool give yourself some credit will you smiley

And I still have my whip waiting for your team mate, he better don't cross my path on here angry

Lool

Thanks for the kind words. I'll probably kill him too. He didn't pick nor return my calls. And he promised to write even if I have to edit for him. That's all gone tho. I may be out but I'll still watch from the sidelines.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can Hnd With Upper Credit Go 4 Masters Directly? / UTME 2022: JAMB Introduces New Literature Texts For Language Subjects / Help! I Need Unilag Postal Address.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.