Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,808 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) (22036 Views)

Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) / Wreckage Of A Plane That Crashed In Canada And Everyone Survived (Photos) / The Arik Airline Passenger Seat An Expatriate Saw Today (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by davidif: 6:27am On Jan 23, 2016
I came across this blog a while ago about an expatriates visit to Naija and his observation and it was hilarious. I just wanted to share.

How To Buy An Aeroplane Ticket In Nigeria
1. Visit website of desired airline.
2. Select flight, date, etc.
3. Proceed to payment page.
4. Observe large red warning notice to the effect that, thanks to your country of origin being infested with dickheads who would defraud their unborn children, paying online is not an option.
5. Choose a good book.
6. Walk up one flight of steps to the airline office, which just so happens to be situated above yours.
7. Hold your nose and try to avoid retching too loudly. Wonder aloud why some people cannot wash.
8. Have an inane conversation with a brain-dead security guard who is playing receptionist for the day.
9. Write your name on a piece of paper and collect a ticket.
10. Sit in the pre-waiting area, which is where people wait before being admitted to the waiting area. Get your nose in the book. Read 10 pages.
11. Wait until the security guard calls you into the waiting area proper.
12. Take a seat and get your nose back in the book. Read 10-20 pages.
13. When sign displays your number, go to appropriate desk.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by davidif: 6:27am On Jan 23, 2016
14. Ask bloke behind the desk how you can pay for your recently booked ticket.
15. Absorb advice that payment in the office is possible but will not include the 5% online purchase discount, if you want that you will have to pay in a bank.
16. Go back downstairs to office, call a driver to take you to the secure bank in the company offices.
17. Sit in traffic for three quarters of an hour.
18. Get to bank, hand over company cheque made out in your name and handed to you in your first week for reasons which were never made clear.
19. Hang about whilst the bank clerk does some pointless administration exercise crucial to the cashing of your cheque. Where did I put my other book? I’ve finished this one.
20. Hand over passport copy.
21. Write your name, address, date, and signature on the back of the cheque.
22. Hand cheque back to clerk, who stamps it right next to where you have just written.
23. Write your name, date, and signature where he has stamped.
24. Hand cheque back to clerk.
25. Wait for a while, polishing off chapters 1-3 of your next book.

1 Like

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by davidif: 6:28am On Jan 23, 2016
26. Accept massive pile of reeking Nigerian bank notes the size of a breeze block. Stuff them into rucksack.
27. Wander the streets for a while trying to find where your driver has parked. He’s not allowed to park in the security of the office compound, so employees carrying huge piles of cash must roam the back streets with it immediately after half the company has just seen you withdraw it.
28. Find driver, sit in traffic whilst he pretends to take you to the next bank.
29. Get to bank, approach counter.
30. Ask dimwit behind counter where you can pay for tickets.
31. Get directed to another counter.
32. Get directed to side door.
33. Go through side door and down tatty corridor to prison cell door.
34. Thump on door.
35. Present mug for inspection when sliding hatch opens.
36. Go through door into stinking strong room with what looks to be a freedom fighter of a peasant army holding an AK-47 guarding the door.
37. Go to desk at the back, explain to clerk sitting beside the biggest pile of money you’ve ever seen that you want to pay for an airline ticket.
38. Go to other desk, fill out name, telephone number, amount, and airline on the left-hand page of a ledger.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by davidif: 6:30am On Jan 23, 2016
39. Go back to first desk, fill out triplicate form with name, telephone number, amount, and booking reference.
40. Hand form to clerk. Get your book out.
41. Dig into rucksack and pull out massive pile of cash. Hand over thickness of notes that you think is within 10% of the ticket price.
42. Watch clerk spin the notes through a counter, pay the shortfall.
43. Watch, or read, while clerk stamps your form and scribbles stuff on bits of paper.
44. Go to ledger, write name, telephone number, amount, and form serial number on right-hand page.
45. Take form to another counter and hand it to clerk.
46. Return to seat in the corner and read your book.
47. Clarify pretty much every piece of information on the form, one at a time, when the clerk asks.
48. Wait for clerk to manually type details into computer.
49. Receive pieces of paper, accompany clerk out of strongroom and into main part of bank.
50. Hand pieces of paper back to clerk, who disappears somewhere.
51. Enjoy your book for a while.
52. Receive pieces of paper, now decorated with various stamps.
53. Sign and date pieces of paper.
54. Watch whilst clerk tears them in half and gives you your portion.
55. Leave bank, sit in traffic for 45 minutes on return to office.
56. Check email and receive e-ticket.

I just can’t figure out why Nigeria isn’t prosperous.
http://www.desertsun.co.uk/blog/?p=855

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Ryda(m): 6:36am On Jan 23, 2016
I need canoe ticket also can u get one for me

6 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by espn(m): 6:59am On Jan 23, 2016
Dumb..aeroplane ticket or flight ticket..airline ticket??

2 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Ayt27(m): 7:32am On Jan 23, 2016
I'm not sure if all this truly happens in Nigeria, but then again na Naija we dey.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by DisGuy: 7:28pm On Jan 23, 2016
experienced something similar, was stuck in Abuja for 3 days over a sallah period.

Their booking reference keeps expiring or not recognised

4 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by davidif: 9:41pm On Feb 12, 2016
DisGuy:
experienced something similar, was stuck in Abuja for 3 days over a sallah period.

Their booking reference keeps expiring or not recognised

Yeah, I have heard some crazy stories about peoples flights being abnormally delayed in Naija.

2 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by fjiga(f): 11:11am On Mar 06, 2017
OMG this just made my day... lol

2 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Tazdroid(m): 11:11am On Mar 06, 2017
Neat info

What about changing money to foreign notes? Any tips to share?
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by ksbusari(m): 11:14am On Mar 06, 2017
Abaa kilode?

1 Like

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by flyca: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2017
Sacarsm! Thanks OP, you made it real cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by stefanweeks: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2017
WTF is this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by ajuwarhodes(f): 11:15am On Mar 06, 2017
Like seriously?

1 Like

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Idydarling(f): 11:15am On Mar 06, 2017
expa gini?
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 06, 2017
Nice summary....useless airlines and their agents
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by samhay: 11:15am On Mar 06, 2017
Samhay is typing
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by okonja(m): 11:16am On Mar 06, 2017
hMMMM
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by fjiga(f): 11:16am On Mar 06, 2017
its not entirely true

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by three: 11:16am On Mar 06, 2017
The 'ease of doing legitimate business' in Nigeria is near zero.

Beyond talking about it, taking pictures about it and 'visiting toilets' there needs to be a cogent urgent response to this.

Electricity is key, so also is the need to urgently deincentivise bureaucracy.

People challenge themselves NOT to live off their monthly salaries (which they have since committed to 'ajo', esusu etc.) and instead make money illegally by introducing 'steps' to an ordinarily straight forward process.

Immigration Officers charge you more for a passport than advertised by the Federal Government. Same with so many other agencies and parastatals.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by texazzpete(m): 11:16am On Mar 06, 2017
Rubbish

This racist clown has sensationalized this process. Many people - including myself - have no issues booking and paying online. If the airline website is having issues, third parties like Wakanow are there to ease the process.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 06, 2017
Uhm... So why is he an expatriate if when I travel to his country on the invitation to work for a firm I'm an immigrant?!!!,

11 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by AbbeyvanPersie(m): 11:18am On Mar 06, 2017
57. While on board, emergency landing. Reason: the aircraft is out of fuel Naija!
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 06, 2017
WTH...this guy just eviscerated Nigerians and the Nigerian Army.

5 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Zabilon007(m): 11:20am On Mar 06, 2017
Unfortunately, this is the Nigerian situation.
1 Unnecessary protocol
2 Unnecessary Reaction

5 Likes

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by Zabilon007(m): 11:21am On Mar 06, 2017
espn:
Dumb..aeroplane ticket or flight ticket..airline ticket??
Exactly the kind of dimwits he was talking about....the real problem lies in the system, not in his grammar.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by grafikii: 11:22am On Mar 06, 2017
absolute truth, for those who don't understand, try remember what your 100l registration looked like. Crazy country

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by LordIsaac(m): 11:22am On Mar 06, 2017
"dimwit behind counter..." lols...And these are people that are feeling themselves!
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by xammy(m): 11:23am On Mar 06, 2017
I have been to 5 countries ..... but never on a Local flight not in this life. whats the fear of 9ja LOcal flight called?
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by miqos02(m): 11:23am On Mar 06, 2017
seen
Re: How To Buy a Plane Ticket In Nigeria (by an expatriate) by judecares1(m): 11:24am On Mar 06, 2017
GOOD MORNING TO U ALL,AM A BATCH B STREAM 1 CORP MEMBER AND AM CURRENTLY SERVING IN LAGOS STATE,AM WORKING WITH A TRAVELLING AGENCY AS MY POST PRIMARY ASSIGNMENT,IF U WANNA TRAVEL TO ANY PART OF D WORLD OR WITHIN D COUNTRY WE CAN DO IT FOR YOU,OUR PRICES ARE AFFORDABLE,OUR COMPANY STILL HAVE BUSINESS SCHOOL FOR THE SAKE OF U WHO ARE INTERESTED U CAN PM ME OR QUOTE ME

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Inspects Flooded Area Of Jankara (video) / Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy / Truck Driver Kills Professor Sylvanus Abila

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.